• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone here track their car?

TheMan

So I may very well get a new car this year. Leaning heavily towards Type R or Veloster N, something relatively cheap but fast. Wondering if anyone could speak to their experience with track days. I know there's unavoidable expenses involved (fluids, tires, brakes), but do you feel it's worth it?

I would if I had a car just for it. My daily is a 2019 WRX that they only made 750 of. If I had spare money I would get an STI to track.

Old Retro

I thought this had to do with GPS. I guess the lingo is different today. My daily driver down the 1/4 mile? Shit yes, many times. I've known plenty of of people run their DD in autocross. I wouldn't build a trailer queen or something not streetable just for the sake of using it once in a while. But I've also known plenty of people to do just that.

But an STI is worth more than any WRX.
I'd get a Civic Type-R K20a.

STIs also have a better suspension, Bigger turbo, if I recall a better transmission etc. I’ve had 6 WRXs but have yet to find the need for a STI. The current WRX I have no plans to even mod.

Oh also the STI has much better brakes.

Last edited:
F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Planning on taking my Camaro SS to the track for some laps this summer.
Just a one time thing though.

V4skunk

Banned
STIs also have a better suspension, Bigger turbo, if I recall a better transmission etc. I’ve had 6 WRXs but have yet to find the need for a STI. The current WRX I have no plans to even mod.

Oh also the STI has much better brakes.
Also has a seem welded chassis and slightly better engine internals but still not forged.
STI were what Subaru modified for WRC back in the day.
I prefer Evo all day, especially V to IX.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Buy something old and cheap for the track. Why waste a brand new car on it? You can get a reliable Japanese car that someone put 100,000+ easy miles for next to nothing and still have the same experience on the track.

unless you have the money to blow, then knock yourself out.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Recommend against.

Not because wear and tear or anything but more due to the disasters that can happen at track days.

I've seen roll overs, cars hitting walls and people in cheap bangers have their brakes fail destroying someone else's pride and joy.

Last edited:

Mohonky

Also has a seem welded chassis and slightly better engine internals but still not forged.
STI were what Subaru modified for WRC back in the day.
I prefer Evo all day, especially V to IX.

Kind of, STi was the motorsports division. Unlike today, you couldn't just walk into a dealer and just buy an STi. Cars started as a WRX, were then shipped to STi and STi then modified them which is why all STi's back in the day were limited run. The WRC car was built in conjunction with ProDrive and was another level entirely, the WRC was built from the ground up.

The STi you buy now from dealers aren't like STi of old, they are more like an up market WRX. Japans limited run of Spec C and S204, S205's etc are what would be like the STi's of old which are more hardcore variants of existing platforms built in limited numbers and more extreme than a standard STi, they also pretty much exclusively used the EJ207 2ltr unlike the standard STi's which are built on the EJ257 2.5ltr.

quickwhips

You need a second car. Daily drives at track with no backup is a bad situation waiting to happen. I’m actually in the process of finishing my garage (2 post lift next week) so i can start racing again.

xrnzaaas

No, I don't have gps. ;)

I'd love to go on a track one day, but there aren't any decent ones in my country (I don't consider a bunch of slow corners split by tire walls a track) and I'd also have to buy a second car. Too much of a financial commitment for me & my partner and besides playing racing games kinda scratches that itch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom