• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone remember Ask Jeeves? Search engine and Q&A.

Do you remember Ask Jeeves?

• Total voters
Was a big deal in the late 90's and early Y2K. It was a search engine while also the Chacha/Quora for it's day for questions and answers.

Then they stripped it down for some reason and got rid of Jeeves than brought him back years later for an anniversary, becoming just ask.com.

Old archive of site:

6c8167792-jeeves2001.nbcnews-ux-1024-900.png

Man, remember when websites where basically designed to show off the background so the main content was in the middle of the site? Even sites that didn't have a background to show off has the content in the middle of the site, not all but many websites.

When it took 3 hours to download a 5 minute video/high quality audio file.

Netscape slow as shit, offices ordering Opera for $35 for multitasking and productivity because IE was shit even back then.

Karma Jawa

I remember Ask Jeeves.

Such a strange time. When I started uni in ‘98 I had a pager. A year later me and my housemates would literally be gathered around waiting for some obscure song to download from Napster. By the time I finished uni in 2001 everyone had mobiles, text speak had developed because of the character limit, and Broadband was just a year or two away.

I was one of the first people in my uni to loan a digital camera. Back then digital cameras had floppy disks!

Pretty incredible surge in tech. From 18 to 21 my entire world changed.

BigBooper

I wonder if the internet has gotten lamer or if I did. Back in the day I'd just type random web addresses and hope I'd see something cool. Now I stick to the same half dozen sites.

Was a big deal in the late 90's and early Y2K. It was a search engine while also the Chacha/Quora for it's day for questions and answers.

Then they stripped it down for some reason and got rid of Jeeves than brought him back years later for an anniversary, becoming just ask.com.

Old archive of site:

6c8167792-jeeves2001.nbcnews-ux-1024-900.png

Man, remember when websites where basically designed to show off the background so the main content was in the middle of the site? Even sites that didn't have a background to show off has the content in the middle of the site, not all but many websites.

When it took 3 hours to download a 5 minute video/high quality audio file.

Netscape slow as shit, offices ordering Opera for $35 for multitasking and productivity because IE was shit even back then.
I do along with Webcrawler search engine and Geocities.

JordanN

Banned
When teachers wouldn't allow us to use Google in school, we were told to use either Askjeeves or Yahooligans.

Luckily, that rule only applied to us until Grade 5. Middle School and up, there was no restriction.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
I wonder if the internet has gotten lamer or if I did. Back in the day I'd just type random web addresses and hope I'd see something cool. Now I stick to the same half dozen sites.

Same here. The internet is so vast and filled with so much but everyday i visit the same old sites.

But that's what happens, the older you get the smaller your world becomes. And coupled with the fact the internet isn't as impressive anymore like it was when I first brought home a PC with with a 36.6 modem and paid 14.99 to some local store that resold internet access from some dial up service like 800 miles away.

plushyp

Last edited:
Metacrawler and Lycos are still around in some form. I also remember that terrible day when Adobe got flash from Macromedia and basically did nothing with it for years until discontinuing it in 2020.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Wow that brings back memories. The wild west of search engines.... Altavista, Excite, Lycos etc...

I do remember Ask Jeeves having unique search results compared to the other ones.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
There’s apparently a lot of info and backstory of it available on the internet today. I don’t remember using it very much.

It takes me back remembering all the search engines along with ask that faded into obscurity.
  • altavista
  • Lycos
  • Excite
  • Alltheweb
  • Hotbot

Top Bottom