• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone remember MAG - Massive Action Game?

Fadobo

Owned and played it for a bit. The only thing I distinctly remember is, that it didn't feel very different to any other online shooter at all, when it came to the amount of players. Yes there were 256 people on a server, but the maps were so large and the design made to pull players into certain hot spots, that you never saw more people than in your average Battlefield game.

Aztorian

Owned and played it for a bit. The only thing I distinctly remember is, that it didn't feel very different to any other online shooter at all, when it came to the amount of players. Yes there were 256 people on a server, but the maps were so large and the design made to pull players into certain hot spots, that you never saw more people than in your average Battlefield game.

Although this is kinda true, you were still depending on your whole team for the entire mission if i'm correct. Even when fighting on different fronts it felt like this huge warfare. Even if I couldn't see most of the players, it was a whole different experience than Battlefield back then.

Rufuscrim

Neo Member
I remember enjoying the lowest-player-count mode more than the highest-player-count mode, which is not a good sign when the game hung its hat on its player count. The problem with feeling like you're part of a huge battle is that it's hard to feel like any action you personally take in capturing Foxhole J makes any difference to the wider battle.

Roufianos

It's a shame Zipper aren't still around. I'm sure their games would have found a larger audience this gen. At least Sony gave us The Order and No Man's Sky though 😀😀

I put so many hours into this game. So ahead of it's time in my opinion.

Yes the end stages of the 256 player battle were jerky and laggy but it was still amazing fun.

Before its time, perhaps?

If it had come out today, with all of the Battle Royale hype, I imagine it would have been a pretty big hit if it included a similar mode with an even larger scale.

I have fond memories of MAG. Even when 100+ players filled the chokepoints around objectives. My poor PS3 was strugggggaling.

They should reboot it for next gen.

Kagero

Played it until I liked it, and by the end. I really loved it! Let's be honest here. The shooting wasn't great, but the mechanics were really great.

Spacejaws

Really loved MAG. Coming from Enemy Territory’s campaign matchtype it seemed more and more games were dropping objective based competitive games for more team deathmatch or domination style ‘stand in the circle’

I actually kinda liked Haze’s multiplayer for reintroducing some objective gameplay (hold the bridge, destroy the vehicle etc). Mag was a little mx of repetitive objective stuff that could be approached in creative ways with the command centers. Bit like battlefield modes mixed together.

Really enjoyed it and wish it turned into something even bigger.

It was a big ask to sell a new console FPS franchise without a campaign back then. The faction stuff was one of those ideas that sounds good, but didn't add much. Likewise the rookies playing in separate games was a hurdle to people with friends already playing.

The shock was that Sony killed it so completely. In hindsight, it seems like a better bet as a franchise than Killzone. A third or fourth iteration could have been huge now.

LostDonkey

It was one of my favourite fps on ps3.

Sad they never made a sequel of any kind, I guess Battlefield took the spot for big online battles and people including myself migrated to that.

MAG had its moments, when the scale of the damned thing became apparent. Unfortunately, those moments were rare and far between, so it mostly felt like a shooter with shoddy controls and oversized maps.

Aztorian

Mag was awesome fun for sure. Cool weapons and gadgets but the frame rate was pretty bad.

Everyone seem to had issues with the framerate. I never had any issues with that as far as I remember. Maybe I was just too blind to see the stutters or something. All I remember is a smooth experience, much smoother than I would have thought before getting it.

Top Bottom