• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone want a mid gen updated console

Schmick

I don't think I want a mid gen upgrade. I think both the PS5 and XBX are good enough to last the full generation. And so Sony and MS should allow developers to get the most out of them.

My thinking is, the PS4 Pro and XOX were one offs. I think they were produced because of 4K TV's being more popular.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
It's what I'm waiting for. Even if it never comes, which I lean on the side that it will, by then, both/either consoles will finally have a library worth making a purchase for. I can wait a few years. I can play about 95% of everything I want on other platforms other than both the XsX/PS5.

Reindeer

I don't think I want a mid gen upgrade. I think both the PS5 and XBX are good enough to last the full generation. And so Sony and MS should allow developers to get the most out of them.

My thinking is, the PS4 Pro and XOX were one offs. I think they were produced because of 4K TV's being more popular.
Phill already said they're working on next console, it's happening.

kikkis

What are they gonna market them with? Ps4 pro and one x were marketed as 4k consoles, but now ps5 and series x are marketed as 4k consoles from the get go. Ofc they cant really do 4k on actual next gen games, so maybe they go like, "lol these mid gen consoles are the real 4k consoles" - sony.

Yes, I want them. You don't have to buy them.

And I suspect Microsoft will transition to a continuous model with new hardware every 4-5 years that co-exists with their previous consoles.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Heck yes. It’s needed. These systems, while nice for the price, are still underpowered on the gpu front, esspecially as RT takes off

ReBurn

Gold Member
Yes, I want them. You don't have to buy them.

And I suspect Microsoft will transition to a continuous model with new hardware every 4-5 years that co-exists with their previous consoles.
I think you're right. The "series" name implies just that. They're going to iteration on this hardware line and release new revisions more often. The next S and X will just take the name from their predecessor.

Skifi28

10-12TF GPUs are fine for now, but they'll be struggling in a couple of years if developers want to produce better visuals with more complicated RT. Unless people are fine with going back to 1080p again, I think it's almost mandatory.

The only question is my mind is whether we'll be able to actually buy them.

Last edited:

balt1kr1s

What are they gonna market them with? Ps4 pro and one x were marketed as 4k consoles, but now ps5 and series x are marketed as 4k consoles from the get go. Ofc they cant really do 4k on actual next gen games, so maybe they go like, "lol these mid gen consoles are the real 4k consoles" - sony.
Playstation Real Mirror edition (Sony’s trademark of RT 🤣)

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Im all the way in for a new system in 3 years. Keep em coming Sony and MS. I want 60 FPS to stay. Will be happy to invest to keep the dream alive.

ReBurn

Gold Member
They're going to market them as better the current systems at whatever new graphics or hardware features are available in 3 or 4 years. Just like they did last time. Just like they did with PS5 and XSX.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Not sure but I think they should choose either to make slims or pros. Personally I’d just be happy with slims, as they usually come along with loads of benefits.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
I'm literally travelling right now with my PS5 and XsX (moving overseas) and the PS5 literally takes a full carry on suitcase by itself. The xbox isnt much better.

Give me slim versions asap

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
I'd like to see a PS5 Pro version with bumped up specs for sure. Maybe in 2023 / Q2 or Q3.

FeldMonster

Yes absolutely. Sign me up Day 1 for a Super Series X or an Xbox Pro X when it comes out in 3-4 years.

Why would anyone say no, ha ha.

Give it an extra TB of storage, 20-24 TF, and 24-32 GB of RAM.

MastaKiiLA

I imagine PC gamers and whales would want it, but the generation is just starting, and upgrading hardware every few years is lame. Just buy a PC, and enjoy the never-ending cycle. I'd prefer devs get comfortable with a set of specs, and manufacturers commit fully to building a new generation of machines at the end of a 5+ year cycle.

Sega killed themselves by releasing new hardware on even longer cycles than this mid-gen stuff. They had issues with lack of backwards compatibility, but the cycles hastened their departure. I'd hate to see the fan base get fatigue from the constant power creep and ensuing chase.

NickFire

Too soon to say for me. Currently leaning no (as in not needed) as it doesn't feel like new gen launched with older tech.

Bryank75

Banned
I want a PS5 Pro targeting a price of around 800-1000 dollars / euro. That would hit incredible performance with a full-fat CPU and a massive raytracing improvement with a full-on DLSS counterpart and an even faster SSD with about 2-3 TB of storage.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I want a new PS5 asap I hate everything about the current one hardware wise I'll never own that

Fbh

Sure, why not.

The pro and 1X Did a good job at ensure a full gen of nice looking and decently performing games.

I'm literally travelling right now with my PS5 and XsX (moving overseas) and the PS5 literally takes a full carry on suitcase by itself. The xbox isnt much better.

Give me slim versions asap

Nah man, you'll get a Ps5 Pro with an external unit like an AC

It will be like "Oh look, lots of people in this building have a Ps5 Pro":
2017-02-27-11-27-42_1.jpeg

Relativ9

Perhaps, not counting a slim PS5/OneX, depends on how quickly graphics technology advances...to me a major (but not generational) leap would be the ability to run games at 60fps, 4k, with full global illumination Ray tracing (something PC's can barely do today).

Great Hair

Banned
Yes.

I want the PSU of the PS5 outside, thus making it smaller in height. I know, we made fun of a certain group .. but the damn thing is just too huge. Also put the damn thing in a PS2 Workstation or PS2 DVR PSX enclosure.

What is wrong with having a sexy HIFI device?!
iu
iu

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I think these consoles are good for 5-6 years in a way the previous gen base consoles weren't. But if there is a 30-40 TF PS5 in 3 years I'll buy it.

soulbait

I want a PS5 Pro targeting a price of around 800-1000 dollars / euro. That would hit incredible performance with a full-fat CPU and a massive raytracing improvement with a full-on DLSS counterpart and an even faster SSD with about 2-3 TB of storage.

I don't see the CPU being upgrade much, due to a mid-gen console's games would still need to be compatible with the original PS5. You may get a little bit more performance, but not a whole lot. I do see improvements to GPU (more RAM, faster, better hardware support for ray tracing, and DLSS alternative).

NahaNago

I'd rather they didn't make it as well. Most of the video game industry will have finally moved to current gen only by the time mid-gen consoles would come out. I know Microsoft would love it since they are porting everywhere so this doesn't really bother them. Just bring out a new console in 5 years.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, I would prefer a 5 year generation and then move on to next generation but if this generation lasts 6-8 years which I believe that it will, I wouldn't have an issue with mid-gen consoles in Fall 2024. I would trade in the current Series X and current PS5 towards the mid-gen upgrades.

dave_d

I think you're right. The "series" name implies just that. They're going to iteration on this hardware line and release new revisions more often. The next S and X will just take the name from their predecessor.
Didn't Microsoft already admit they're going with the "Ecosystem" model from now on?(Like iPhone and Android and hell, Windows) IE starting with XBox One you just buy whatever model is currently out and it pretty much plays any past XboxOne/XboxSeries game that has already come out and will play any game for the next 5 years or so. If this is what they're going with I'd expect consoles updates.(Not that it matters now since neither Sony or Microsoft can meet demand anyway.)

ReBurn

Gold Member
How long is the gen? I think Microsoft needs to start shortening the gen for their strategy to make sense.
Microsoft started doing that with One X and One S. They don't really talk much about generations any more. They have been going down the services road and moving away from generations since 2017. I think we'll continue to see shorter hardware cycles, but they'll pr continue to align a release with Sony hardware.

Top Bottom