• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does getting downvoted on reddit feel bad?

bilderberg

I make a comment and it gets downvoted into the -30's in a just a couple hours, and it's still dropping. Holy shit. This is the worst tyrannical, dystopian future, of social interaction I can ever imagine. I made such an undesirable contribution that reddit wont even show it anymore. How could something honestly be that bad that people should have to go out of their way to click on your hidden comment just to keep downvoting it.

Whitesnake

Banned
The circlejerk is strong, my friend. On bigger subreddits I’ve been downvoted for speaking the literal, actual truth simply because it did not fit the circlejerk. Take pride that you made dummies butthurt.

Reminds me of this:
8a7mBOW.jpg

Last edited:

CSmath22

Banned
It would be nice if they didn't force a 9 minute wait between posts just because you don't push far left politics.

Last edited:

Thurible

Sometimes it can hurt to know that people hate your opinion and sometimes, by extension, you. But it's the internet, you have to get used to trolls and people who just want to hate.

Say anything pro-catholic, pro-life, or slightly right wing on reddit and you are going to get downvoted. I remember I got into an argument with someone who claimed every Catholic (including me) is a pedophile while I argued that isn't true. He got upvotes, I got downvotes.

Dthomp

Doesn't bother me in the slightest, but much like here it's not hard not to get downvoted as long as you're not spewing nonsense or posting in political anything since that's a waste of time and effort

Shelbutt

I only ever browse subs that relate to my interests (Music, games, shows, etc) so when I get downvoted I usually just get super confused. I rarely comment tho

GV82

Nah, points mean nothing to me as I don’t try to win anything as if it’s a game, never cared for achievements in video games for example, imagine if we had a voting system here!

[Deleted]
[Deleted]
[Deleted]

(Pease Like my post! )
————->

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
I have a couple of accounts but truth be told I so rarely post there I just don't care all that much.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Nah. I'm mostly there for sports forums for teams I follow and if I get downvoted it's just homers not liking a negative opinion I shared or whatever.

There's no sense in feeling hurt from downvotes or any kind of negative reaction to a thought shared online. The bulk of the super active online community member who are constantly lurking, posting, up/downvoting etc. are losers you wouldn't give the time of day to in real life. No sense in letting them get to you on anonymous online forums.

I got 100 upvotes on a guide for dota teaching some scrubs how to climb up that ladder.

My wife's boyfriend was super happy for me.

Nymphae

Banned
No joke, just being on Reddit makes me feel bad. I go for specific answers to specific questions with a throwaway and that is it. Something about the community feels very offputting to me, I think it's maybe that there are so many throwaways, as well as power users, and no avatar support. It never felt like a community to me, it felt like a bunch of comment section 1-uppers, though you do occasionally find some information you are looking for. The average Redditor is insufferable though. I got so tired of looking for the sincere information post buried under hundreds of amateur comedian posts in every single comment thread.

Last edited:
If it makes you feel any a little better.. I was downvoted into oblivion back when YouTube showed comments with thumbs up and down. I'm teying to remember all the dumb shit I used to say.

Shifty

My advice is to drop that business like a hot potato and use Reddit only for reading- never for posting.

The downvote system fosters a nasty hivemind dogpile mentality and plays up that bitter shot of endorphin you get for telling someone that they're wrong, just without the effort of composing a rebuttal that doesn't make you sound like a crazy person. Shit's unhealthy.

It can be okay for smaller communities, but things quickly get out of hand once a given sub has enough eyes on it.

And that's to say nothing of the rest of the cancer, like hordes of pedantic bots that exist only to correct people, infinite chains of mad-lib bullshit infesting the top half of every popular thread, or hammer-happy mods with acute personal bias. Dystopian is right, my man.

Upvotes, likes, whatever you want to call it, they're nice to have but it doesn't really mean anything in the long run. Your words are what people will remember you by.
I wish I could like this twice, as well as typing this response. Straight truth.

i don't look, i like something i want to and don't give a shit what happens next

get your dopamine from a competitive video game with your bros, or whatever else gets you off, don't get it from social media
While I agree with this too, have a small shot of dopamine on me in the form of a like (y)

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
It really depends if its actually worth getting downvoted or they're just being assholes because they don't agree

Shai-Tan

Banned
on some subs it's a badge of honor. downvote does take care of offtopic, low value posters, and trolls but it also feeds into the groupthink, i've seen some subs get purified over time because of brigades of posters who downvote everything they disagree with

post it here please - i need tosee if i would downvote or not.

we can upvote it with a praise the sun or downvote it with a fire ( or like / triggered)

Last edited:

Shifty

Say anything pro-catholic, pro-life, or slightly right wing on reddit and you are going to get downvoted. I remember I got into an argument with someone who claimed every Catholic (including me) is a pedophile while I argued that isn't true. He got upvotes, I got downvotes.
Even /r/catholicism, /r/prolife and /r/slightlyrightwing are just incorrigible these days.

About three months ago I suggested in the Milwaukee Brewers forum that Josh Hader needs to learn another pitch or he may end up like Derrick Turnbow. I was downvoted, called names, etc. Fast forward to now and Hader has given up 12 HR's. The place is disgusting.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Reddit is a shining example of how the modern internet can be too easily accessed. Any ol' moron can use it which means, well, there are a lot of morons there. Outside of extremely niche subreddits, the place is a cesspool of idiocy and circle jerks. It's best to treat the opinions upheld by people on Reddit with the same level of respect as people on Twitter, ie. none.

Top Bottom