• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Horizon forbidden west looks next gen or current gen?

Does HW FW looks next gen or current Gen?

• Next Gen

• Current Gen

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rea

Horizon Forbidden west gameplay trailer is out, do you guys think it looks next gen or current gen?

Personally, i think it looks next gen for some of the aspects, eg. Characters model and facial animation, Subsurface scattering. Lighting. But the game is still heavily limited by PS4 engine. Ps5 is just brute forcing the ps4 game.

How do you guys think?

Horizon looks last gen is one of the craziest things to say.

Smart-Select-20210528-214259-Chrome.jpg

See that one vote? That one vote there? That's my vote.

tenor.gif

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Probably the first hint of Next-Gen I've seen.
Yeah sure there are other factors that go on behind the curtain that people talk about being Next-Gen and it may or may not lack it.
But you have to explain that shit to people and understand it.
With H2:FW you can just look at it and say that's Next-Gen, no explanation needed.

Probably the first hint of Next-Gen I've seen.
Yeah sure there are other factors that go on behind the curtain that people talk about being Next-Gen and it may or may not lack it.
But you have to explain that shit to people and understand it.
With H2:FW you can just look at it and say that's Next-Gen, no explanation needed.
So Rachet and Clank did nothing for you ? I still think Rachet and clank looks better then this and this is holy fuck good looking .

There is a clear step up in the lighting and character models. I played the original on PS4 Pro which already is a gorgeous game and I could see the difference straight away. It’s not a gigantic leap imo however I think that showing yesterday should put a few cross gen worries aside whilst get people excited for what games fully developed on PS5 will be like as the gen progresses.

VFXVeteran

Banned
It's very hard to define next-gen as we've had many threads about that definition and it's concluded to be a judgement on an individual basis. Having said that, I'll say they improved their GI/AO system to roughly what should be the standard now with the latest games and the environments, animation and water look really good. Basically it's ranked right up there with the big dogs.

Comparing the footage directly to the original, it is clear that there are significant improvements so I vote next gen. But would the average person be able to tell it apart from a good looking last gen game? I'm not very confident that they would.

Haggard

Banned
I had to fire up the first game on the big screen and run the trailer in 4k afterwards for a reality check to get the nostalgia out of my head.

FW is a clear jump above anything we've had on PS4.
Even lou2 doesn't quite reach and that is not even an open world game.

Rea

It's very hard to define next-gen as we've had many threads about that definition and it's concluded to be a judgement on an individual basis. Having said that, I'll say they improved their GI/AO system to roughly what should be the standard now with the latest games and the environments, animation and water look really good. Basically it's ranked right up there with the big dogs.
From technical perspective, it won't be a next gen game. Actually it is still using ps4 game engine anyway. But the overall looks and presentation feels next gen for any casual gamers.
I agree with what you said. But currently many games doesn't have this refinement in character models, facial expression and skin rendering, even in cinematic scene.

Hoddi

Big upgrade. I'm currently playing the original at 4k60 on PC and it doesn't touch the quality of this new trailer.

The 'next-gen' leap may be shorter than in previous generations but there's still a very visible difference between the two games. We still don't know how it will look on PS4 Pro but it's definitely promising for the new generation.

Last edited:
We are the frog in the slowly boiling water of graphics. You don't just notice it from one second to the next. Even with a new generation, its gradual improvements over time, rather than one great leap.

That said, it actually does look next gen to me.

elliot5

Looks like a more vibrant and lush TLOU2 and like uncharted 4, but more cartoony and "unreal". So current gen. It's just running on better hardware so it can push that a little further. It's impressive, don't get me wrong, but it looks similar.

Until they show more actual open world gameplay and less "scripted" sequences it'll remain that way to me. The play areas and arenas didn't look any more open or larger scope than some set pieces in TLOU 2.

To me The Last of US 2 & GOW graphics are already amazing. Whatever game Naughty Dog, Guerrilla, Santa Monica releases.. Im already impressed.

Horizon FW has been in development since 2017. So PS5 version is going to be mainly a graphics boost and loading times boost.

CamHostage

30fps is distinctly last gen. I honestly can’t believe Sony showed their big Christmas hitter running at 30fps.

But that's standard Sony video processing. Both R&C Rift Apart gameplay showcases have been 4K 30.

We don't know yet what graphical options Horizon Forbidden West will have. Insomniac announced the Performance/Fidelity modes right away (but still hasn't put out a Performance clip, it's been all 30FPS Fidelity mode,) but Guerrilla hasn't yet talked tech. Decima Engine has been very 30-happy throughout (the PC port of Horizon had to deal with a lot of the dependencies relying on the locked 30 framerate when it tried to go higher,) but Decima can run unlocked or at 60 and both Death Stranding PC and KZ Shadowfall Multiplayer were configured to be 60 experiences.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
30fps with same-ish graphics. Definitely last gen. Then again, gens don't really exist anymore. It looks like a game made 2016 to present, which I guess is this gen.

When are people going to say PS5 is current gen?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm gonna say Next Gen, mainly because it looks better and they dropped a trailer at 30 fps, which may point to just how intense it is on PS5. Still hoping they have a 60 fps option at launch.

Reactions: Rea

Rea

Do people still trust trailers?
Wait until the game is out then judge it in action.
Going by the reputation of Guerilla Games, this is as good as the game that we will get. Or even better refined than this.

CamHostage

From technical perspective, it won't be a next gen game. Actually it is still using ps4 game engine anyway. But the overall looks and presentation feels next gen for any casual gamers.
I would be surprised if there actually is a "PS5 engine" from Guerrilla. Like, Decima 2.0? I don't think it'll get that kind of total rewrite, and I'm not sure it needs it in order for the studio to push the hardware it works on.

They have a scalable, complex engine, with deep subsystems for everything from physics to vegetation to weather representation. Probably they will explore something like the virtualized micropolygon data systems of Nanite as other developers are in the wake of UE5 (they already have something of a GI solution but I'm not sure how Lumen compares to other approaches,) but that could be added in rather than requiring a total rewrite. Decima is the PS4 engine, it'll be the PS5 engine, it could be the PS6 engine.

Maybe it's still early and COVID-delayed still, but we're not hearing much about new engines being written for these new platforms. It's more about adapting and improving the scalable technology they have. Even UE5 is apparently more of a signpost release of Unreal features rather than a totally new engine, Nanite and Lumen are major new modules but everything else is just rolling along from the 4.x to 5 as components on their own upgrade schedule, so much so that project files barely need a rework before a UE4 project opens up just fine in UE5's Editor (which was NOT the case for UE3-to-UE4.)

So maybe something will come along and say, "Everything that came before, throw it away, we're doing it this way now," and we'll have this end of what people are looking at like "PS5 = PS4Pro+Super" as the way games get made. Maybe, but I'd be surprised to see that happen. More likely, we'll see great strides with what exists. Guerrilla will use the same Decima engine, but eventually they'll be throwing so much at it and have so many advanced systems running that a PS4 version will be inconceivable, and that'll be the flow of next-gen. Game engines lived out on the prairies in the pioneer days of old times, but they settled and set up town in the PS3/360 era, now they're real suburban in terms of their way being modern and refined and the way of the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rea

It looks fantastic and I was blown away by the reveal. Today I jumped back into Horizon on pc and played on ultra. It also looks much better than I remember.

Tschumi

There are quantifiable things in there that cannot be done on previous gen consoles. I think that's end of.

I can think of certain franchise continuations which would be proud as punch to look half as good as this game when they are finally released

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
But the game is still heavily limited by PS4 engine. Ps5 is just brute forcing the ps4 game.

You really think GG developed an engine that could only be as good as the PS4 would allow it? About the only ones who know the real power of DECIMA are Sony, GG and I guess Kojima Productions. This isn't UE4; that engine is going to be around for a long awhile.

Top Bottom