• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does "[INSERT STUDIO] working on unannounced game” get you excited?

AJUMP23

Retro Studios
Nintendo internal HAL
Bungee

Blizzard - I would get excited years ago but the shine has faded on them. Same with BioWare

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I don't get excited when companies announce that they're working on something that's unannounced.

I'll get excited (or not) when you tell me what you're actually fuckin' working on.

Inviusx

I'm completely done with games being announced years in advanced with some shitty CG trailer. I literally don't give a shit until maybe a week before it comes out these days.

PlatinumGames, Tango GameWorks, Inti Creates, Team ICO, are some that come to mind off the top my head! But I think there's more too lol

Zenaku

I don't get excited when companies announce that they're working on something that's unannounced.

I'll get excited (or not) when you tell me what you're actually fuckin' working on.
Agreed. Almost every developer without an announced game is working on an unannounced game. Getting excited at a developer confirming the obvious is just a waste of time, but my lack of interest goes beyond that.

I had no interest in Cyberpunk until literally 3 hours before the midnight launch, and was pleasantly surprised to enjoy it, without having the agonizing wait and inevitable disappointment experienced by people who waited half a decade for it.

Better to focus on the here and now rather than the here in a year or two, but I must admit, Monolith Soft revealing their next game could get me wetting my pants in anticipation.

Every single studio is always "working" on something, and no i don't get excited about game x's logo or pre rendered CG cutscenes, show the game or better yet drop a puplic demo and I'll be hyped AF, RE2R/3R, FF7R and Ys IX demos got me Hyped because i actually played the game and mess around with it not seeing some dev clearly going through the motions as to not trigger bugs and glitches.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Only Monolithsoft.
Cdproject red still working on Cyberpunk and Witcher 3 has me excited.
SsoNi1e.gif

cireza

Banned
Well of course, because there is always the risk that a studio takes a couple years off and stop working.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Ubisoft and only if it's splinter cell
From Software - please bring back Chrome Hounds and Armored Core and anything soulslike
Ninja Theory - though the last game they did was a dud, dude, Hellblade
Japan Studio
Playground Games
Kojima - The man can do no wrong, even when he does wrong.
Believe it or not...Grounding, Inc. - They made Phantom Dust (technically the head of the studio did) and for that I will forever have hope that Yukio will make another.
Bandai Namco - yes I love DragonBall and all of Shonen Jump though their games are hit and miss.

Kamina

Golden Boy
In no instance and no combination.
In fact, not even knowing which title they work on gets me excited. I need to see in order to be hyped; the promise alone that they are making something or anything isn’t enough when the release date is in far distance. I live in the here and now, not 3years+ in the future.

Last edited:

Woman7

Banned
Well no, of course not.
If they aren't working on a game - what the fuck are they doing? Isn't game development about constantly working on the...development of games?

Does 'band working on new album' excite some of you as well? How about 'certain religious persuasion fanatics working a new plot to blow up innocent citizens'?

Are you excited about the obvious? Well...ARE YOU?!

Comedy Central Omg GIF by Broad City

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
No. Every studio works on a game all the time.
But for now there is only elden ring to wait for

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
The baller studio...

for me it's Bluepoint and Insomniac Games but other than that, no other studio could get me hype for something unannounced.

Who are your studio that could get you excited?
For me: Insomniac Games, Naughty Dog and Remedy, Sucker Punch is close after experiencing Ghost of Tsushima

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
With Remedy it's always a yes, because I'll never lose hope that Alan Wake 2 is going to be one of the unannounced projects.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Only From and only if Miyazaki is attached.

Demon’s Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, Sekiro.

5 absolute smash hits, the best and most prolific developer of the last 11 years.

I’m very excited for Moon’s next game though.

Last edited:

Herr Edgy

If something's not announced

you can bet your ass they are working on something that is unannounced

What else would they be doing? Play scribble for months?

CeeJay

Nope, cynical maybe but nowadays I can't get excited about any game until its been out a few weeks and been vetted by the early adopters.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
For me it's

Playground Games
Obsidian
ID Soft
Arkane
Insomniac Games
Sucker Punch
Dice
CDRP

Something like that

Fbh

No, never.
FromSoftware is my favorite current dev but even so, if all we know is that they are working on some "mystery unannounced game" it's hard to get hyped because for all I know it might turn out to be some low budget VR Only game like Deracine

Aion002

Team Ninja
From Software
Kojima
Platinum
Sucker Punch

I like most of their games... So the chances that I will enjoy anything new from them are high.

Last edited:

Rolla

Banned
Hype for an unannounced game is a ridiculous fallacy pushed by a certain segment of the gaming audience. Namely certain you tubers who need something to make a video about. If the game's announcement/trailer is CG I don't even consider the game until I see actual gameplay running on console.

It's a strategy that has kept me free from some noteable car crash release of games.

Perrott

Gold Member
No, because that's what all studios do.

What gets me excited in some cases is the speculation or rumors about the unannounced game itself, like the question of "is Cory Barlog creating a new IP?" that kind of thing.

Top Bottom