• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Jeremy Parish undermine Ziff Davis' credibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Rogue5-

Drinky Crow said:
So, Mister Misconception, assuming I met the high high bar for 1UP writing standards, would *you* ask *me* to write a review of a DS touchscreen game?
Robert Ashley said:
I don't see why not. I'm guessing that after several hours of actually playing DS games, you'd probably open your mind a little bit and allow something from outside your boundless ego influence your opinion...
Drinky Crow said:
I've played as many DS games as you, peep, but at least you've demonstrated why ZD credibility is under question.

I see what you did there...

skip said:
as I've said before, a couple times, it was neither.
Then how did it happen? I can't think of any reason worth justifying putting a review in 3 different outlets (other than to make a point). It makes ZERO sense.

I love 1up in general, but this just pisses me off.

Shogun

Drinky Crow said:
So, Mister Misconception, assuming I met the high high bar for 1UP writing standards, would *you* ask *me* to write a review of a DS touchscreen game?

All you are doing is establishing equally ridiculous criteria. If you review a game and you hate anything like it, it gets a bad rating and you are shortsighted if it's good. If you review a game and you love anything like it, it gets a good rating and you are an apologist if it's bad. You want any N-Fan out here behind the wheel for the next smash brothers? Kid Icarus? Instant 10!

JParish isn't an idiot, I disagree with his review based on my opinions of that series and the opinions i've read of it, and I look foward to playing it. I won't stop reading his reviews because I find they are generally well thought out, just like I didn't stop reading Ebert's reviews when I disagreed with him or thought he just didn't get something.

And to add on Drinky, yes I would want to see you review a touch game, because I feel that even though you hate the dynamics, you still make a genuine attempt to explain why and apply it to that particular game.

skip

UncleGuito said:
Then how did it happen? I can't think of any reason worth justifying putting a review in 3 different outlets (other than to make a point). It makes ZERO sense.

lack of communication between reviews editors.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
UncleGuito said:

Even Skip seems to be at a loss to explain that one, I think he said that he didn't even know about the OPM review until he saw this thread, the reason JP was in EGM was he was the 1UP reviewer de jour for UGnG.

It always amazes me that people can get ANGRY and PISSED OFF about videogames. Have you guys seen the newspapers lately? Talk about immersive entertainment...

Reilly

UncleGuito said:

1up reviews automatically go in EGM (to save money)

Jeremy making it into OPM was due to a communication error (read: lie)

Zenith

Banned
skip said:

Care to elaborate? And why did Jeremy not inform someone? Unlike the editors he must have been aware that he was doing 3 reviews.

Robert Ashley said:
It always amazes me that people can get ANGRY and PISSED OFF about videogames. Have you guys seen the newspapers lately? Talk about immersive entertainment...

Losing the argument, Robert Ashley attempts to divert attention and claim the topic he's spent several pages debating is irrelevant...

Reilly

Robert Ashley said:
It always amazes me that people can get ANGRY and PISSED OFF about videogames.

You've got it all wrong. We like video games. We hate publishers like Ziff Davis.

Greenpanda said:
Losing the argument, Robert Ashley attempts to divert attention and claim the topic he's spent several pages debating is irrelevant...

No, what we're debating isn't irrelevant, but getting hysterical about it turns me off. I just spent the last two day reading every e-mail in EGM's inbox. It's like have the whole world scream at you for hours. I like things to remain calm and collected, that's all.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Greenpanda said:

Next up on The Situation Room, an interview with embattle 1UP Features Editor Jeremy "Toastyfrog" Pariah... err I mean Parish.

skip

Zenith said:
Care to elaborate? And why did Jeremy not inform someone? Unlike the editors he must have been aware that he was doing 3 reviews.

actually, I've elaborated on our inner workings more than enough already. and I said before, jeremy probably didn't tell me because this has happened before in the past under various circumstances and was never official policy. I don't blame him for not telling me.

-Rogue5-

skip said:

Which is completely understandable on the reviews editors part (shit happens)... but that doesn't speak well of JP's intentions...

He had to have known he was writing for all three groups since he had to "adjust his style" for each pub... Which suggests JP lacks integrity -- eg. implying that he wanted to show his distaste for the game to as many different people as possible... Know what I mean?

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw your reply.

Wait, Robert Ashley is with Ziff too? I think that means everyone defending the UG'n'G reviews in this thread is on ZD's payroll... :lol

Zenith

Banned
skip said:
jeremy probably didn't tell me because this has happened before in the past under various circumstances and was never official policy.

Then why didn't you "re-evaluate ZD's internal workings" the first time this happened? Having the 3rd review be from 1UP warrants an official policy but this doesn't?

ghostmind

Either EGM needs to pare down its reviews to just 2 reviewers, giving 1up an exclusive review, or there should be disclaimers in both EGM and 1up pointing back to each other as a review piece from a common source...

Though I do think that the first option would strengthen 1up as its own viable brand/channel...

skip

Zenith said:
Then why didn't you "re-evaluate ZD's internal workings" the first time this happened? Having the 3rd review be from 1UP warrants an official policy but this doesn't?

because, AS I'VE SAID BEFORE, the reasons we had for doing so were valid: last minute writer dropouts and specialized niche games.

Piper Az

Did they take down his review at 1up? I can't seem to find it. I was trying to read the review itself to see how it was.

skip

Piper Az said:
Did they take down his review at 1up? I can't seem to find it. I was trying to read the review itself to see how it was.

the 1UP review has yet to be posted.

Hero

Warlock said:
the reviews editor is, literally, the *reviews editor*. not the reviews writer. the reviews editor spends most of his time editing all the reviews that come through his desk. if you've ever had a job like that, you know it's a lot of work, because you're essentally managing freelancers and other writers as well as reviewing their work.

reviewing a game is not like reviewing a movie - you don't just sit in a dark theatre taking notes for two hours. you have to play the game until the end. for some games (JRPGs for instance, or RPGs in general) this can mean upwards of 30 hours.

what else do we do in the office? we now have, during the "slow" season, an average of two to three business trips a week, and people have to get assigned to go to those. we have events like Comic-con, Evo-2K, QuakeCon, PAX as well as official PR events like Atari, Konami, Activision...all coming up this month. I'm looking at the giant schedule of stuff we have to cover and it's seriously insane. it takes people to go to these and time to write them up. And then someone has to plan the coverage, figure out how it's all going to fit on the website.

we also spend a lot of time every day cultivating relationships with PR - responding to requests, emailing to work our coverage plans, negotitating exclusives, etc.

on top of that we still have games coming in, and we're planning for a hugely busy holiday season with two console releases. and we have all the regular office stuff, staff meetings, administrative stuff, etc.

mostly, we find time to play games at home, after work or on the weekends. it is very rare that people here sit around playing games between 9 and 5.

that's the reality of what it's like to work here. so yeah, it makes a huge difference if someone can do double duty to write the review for 1up AND be one of the review crew for EGM, which is now the official policy here. it saves us a precious 20-30 hours a month so we can assign someone do cover a QuakeCon or write previews from Leipzig or whatever.

and we still have time to listen to complaints on message boards and address issues we feel are important, because they are important. you must know by now that we all read GAF and listen to what you guys say... at least, those of you who actually make sense. you know who you are. :)

Are you seriously an editor? I've taken the time to bold some of the more glaring flaws in your post. Not that I care since I get all your magazines for free..

Anyway, I think it's ridiculous that an individual can somehow be assigned to cover three reviews for the same game in three different publications.

skip said:
1UP, EGM, CGW, OPM and GameVideos all work on the same floor, we write for each other, we share a lot of the same writers, we share a lot of ideas, we all appear on the 1UP Show and on each others' podcasts.

You say you all work on the same floor, yet a HUGE mistake like this is supposed to be forgivable? Are you kidding me?

I don't really care about the score in particular since I have yet to play the game myself, but it just seems that gaming journalism has been declining steadily in recent years. Paper Mario's GI review (IIRC), one of the Mario Party Gamecube titles, and now this. Just off the top of my head, too.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Reilly said:
wow, the site actually loads for you?

:lol no kidding, I don't know what kind of combination of magic sauce is required to actually open the articles on that site on the first try.

ghostmind

snatches said:
They already do option 2. It says clearly in the mag that the reviewer is from 1up.

They way they do it now doesn't make it really clear that the 1up review and the EGM review are using the same source - I think many would just assume that EGM used a 1up staffer to contribute to the EGM review.

Which is why I think option 1 is better. More text per reviewer that way too.

Zenith

Banned
Schafer said:
:lol no kidding, I don't know what kind of combination of magic sauce is required to actually open the articles on that site on the first try.

So..everyone else has had the problem of it loading the top banner then giving you an abort error? It's not just me?

skip

Hero said:
You say you all work on the same floor, yet a HUGE mistake like this is supposed to be forgivable? Are you kidding me?

no, I'm not ****ing kidding you. along with all the sharing and collaborating, we all still have our own respective publications to take care of, and sometimes mistakes are made and things are overlooked/glossed over that shouldn't be. I never claimed anything to the contrary.

ghostmind

Zenith said:
So..everyone else has had the problem of it loading the top banner then giving you an abort error? It's not just me?

Nope. No other site I visit with any regularity gives me as many errors as 1up...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
skip said:
no, I'm not ****ing kidding you. along with all the sharing and collaborating, we all still have our own respective publications to take care of, and sometimes mistakes are made and things are overlooked/glossed over that shouldn't be. I never claimed anything to the contrary.

What is the over/under of the next 1UP.com podcast having Luke Smith go off on a 10 minute rant on the GAF?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Hero said:
Are you seriously an editor? I've taken the time to bold some of the more glaring flaws in your post. Not that I care since I get all your magazines for free..

Anyway, I think it's ridiculous that an individual can somehow be assigned to cover three reviews for the same game in three different publications.

I don't really care about the score in particular since I have yet to play the game myself, but it just seems that gaming journalism has been declining steadily in recent years. Paper Mario's GI review (IIRC), one of the Mario Party Gamecube titles, and now this. Just off the top of my head, too.

Are you seriously questioning the poster's integrity as an editor based on a few typos they made in their forum post? C'mon now.

skip

Shard said:
What is the over/under of the next 1UP.com podcast having Luke Smith go off on a 10 minute rant on the GAF?

I wouldn't allow it. as mark rein might say, that'd be a waste of time.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Drinky Crow said:
shiiiiiiit. Now that the TRUTH is out I'm leaving GAF for good!
Well, let's not go nuts here. Clearly that's just a modded PSP emulating Pokemon...right? RIGHT?!

Oh, and just to stay on topic: Ziff Davis sucks!

Just kidding, skip...you knows I loves ya.

svenuce

I have a suggestion...

Before the 1UP review goes up in a month or whenever, how about having someone ELSE review it and throw Mr. Parish's 1UP review into the waste bin (where it belongs, yes, I own the JP version of UG&G and agree with Mr. Drinky in his assessment of its quality).

At worst, you would then have only 2 reviews by the same person instead of three. It's not ideal, but it is a means of reducing the "damage".

ZeoVGM

Banned
chespace said:
Are you seriously questioning the poster's integrity as an editor based on a few typos they made in their forum post? C'mon now.

no che, don't you dare bring logic to this

remember, every writer of anything in the world is forbidden from making grammar mistakes when they talk casually on a forum~

LukeSmith

Shard said:

About the same as the odds of a thread on GAF about ZD or 1UP without Reilly whining.

Hero

chespace said:

My intention wasn't to question his integrity, just point out a few things I noticed from reading his post. If anything, I found it to be amusing.

But regardless, that's besides the point of the thread.

skip said:

While mistakes can be made, I think it does bring Parish's credibility since he never said "Hey, you know I'm doing the same review for the same game in three of our publications?"

Also, if it were me, after this incident I might go out and get a large dry erase board and every month for the games you're reviewing, you might want to write down the names of the writers you assign for each release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom