• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite have a low budget?

Poster#1

I tried the demo on PSN and couldn't help but to notice the low production value. The level is blurry and ugly as well as the characters. It's pretty jarring experience going from Injustice 2 to this game. Even the cutscenes and dialogue are really bad. I expected Capcom to show some respect and care for the title but it doesn't seem like it.

What's going on with this title?

I'm leaning towards bad art direction and style, just like MVC3
MVC2 and SF4 are such good looking games, not sure what they were thinking

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
RE7 is the only game Capcom's released in a few years that didn't feel like it was held back by budget constraints and even then, it's clear it cost less than RE6.

I reaaally want to know when the game began development. I don't even know if it's that it's a low budget or if it's just rushed.

Or both.

BiggNife

It's either not enough budget or not enough time, but yeah.

A lot of the game feels recycled from MvC3. Compare SF4 to SFV, where just about every returning character got a significant overhaul (plus completely new models), and then look at MvCI where like 80% of the cast is just MvC3 characters with most of the same moves and specials.

I really wish they would just delay it by six months or something for polish. I've been trying to stay optimistic but the story demo sucked out a lot of excitement I had.

Azure J

I'm leaning towards bad art direction and style, just like MVC3
MVC2 and SF4 are such good looking games, not sure what they were thinking

But Marvel vs. Capcom 3 was gorgeous... It's one of a rare few games that co-opts "comic book shading/presentation" for the absolute better especially considering half of its source materials' roots.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Plausibly, but I think there's also an extent to which Capcom's developers are just not very good.

They've been hiring thousands of new college graduates to make their games since they decided to stop using any outsourcing firms, so they're pretty new at this.

Capcom talked about how Street Fighter V actually had way more staff than any of their previous fighting games, and that was pretty threadbare.

Mind, it also takes a lot more work to make modern games, and I'm sure compared to other modern games it's lower budget, but I don't think it necessarily costs less than Marvel vs. Capcom 3. It could plausibly cost quite a bit more.

Poster#1

Plausibly, but I think there's also an extent to which Capcom's developers are just not very good.

They've been hiring thousands of new college graduates to make their games since they decided to stop using any outsourcing firms, so they're pretty new at this.

Capcom talked about how Street Fighter V actually had way more staff than any of their previous fighting games, and that was pretty threadbare.

Mind, it also takes a lot more work to make modern games, and I'm sure compared to other modern games it's lower budget, but I don't think it necessarily costs less than Marvel vs. Capcom 3. It could plausibly cost quite a bit more.

I'd be shocked if this game cost more than MvC3. It just doesn't make sense.

Capcom used to put out quality games. I don't know what happened to them this gen :(

I would assume so but at the same time, I doubt Arc System Works' games have big budgets either and they look incredible and Persona 4 Arena even has a decent story mode. MvC:I could look a lot better without needing the budget of Injustice 2, I'm not sure what's happening at Capcom...

I really hope because doing an HD version of Tatsunoko vs Capcom would look better than this game

Damn right, that game looked incredible on the Wii.

mas8705

Honestly, I'm wondering if a delay actually would help this game. Even if they do delay it for a tad bit. It doesn't help that the game looks to be recycling a whole lot of things from MvC3, characters are just about the same with a few minor tweaks (because if they played the exact same way, you know that people would be riding Capcom's ass alot harder for being lazy), and some choices made that left you wondering if this was the best they could do (people like to point out the faces looking ugly while I'm looking at Spencer's Level 3 and see it as a headbutt and leaving a grenade on someone's chest and swinging away. At least it was in reference to what happened in his game, but still it could have been done better).

Who knows if there really is a low budget or not here, but it is rather sad when you have people calling "Dragon Ball FighterZ" more Marvel than Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite (and how after the quality we had out of Injustice 2 as well as Dragon Ball FighterZ, we look at MvC:I and ask how it doesn't look as polished if the game is coming is coming out in a few months from now).

I look at SF5 and MCI and realize its not about budget allocation that hurt both games but the teams working on them (size and quality of teams) and most importantly the turnaround.

Neither game seems polished. Both look and seem unfinished. Whether it was graphics or modes or both.

After SF5 I have absolutely no hope that MCI will be good content wise or mechanically sound. There will be something off that wasn't picked up and will have to be fixed via a patch due to an expedited release.

fake edit.

to answer the ? .......YES. YES IT DOES.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I can't be the only one feel the speed of the game is lacking

I'm no FGC expert or play tons of Marvel or SF, but Infinite just feels off

The Demo, yeesh, Story mode is not a good fit. I don't think MvCI needs it.

Should've been 3 vs 3

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
3D Model outsourcing. When you decide the front facing art of your characters isn't worth curating talent to produce internally, you have signalled you don't give a shit ultimately what it looks like.

Capcom is currently/has gone through the huge talent shrinkage that Sega and others went through. You have the RE teams, the MH team, and Itsuno's squad, and few others left internally.

Dunno about the budget - but whatever they spent on Story Mode should have been spent on better art. The Story sucks and I didn't need it or want it.

I played the demo and any hype I had left for the game died.
I fear I might be out.

killroy87

I believe it's the lack of time. From reveal to release date is pretty dang short.

That has no indication of how long it's been in development though. You might be right, but I wouldn't use that reasoning as evidence of short dev time. Fallout 4 was in the works for like 4 years.

Dunno about the budget - but whatever they spent on Story Mode should have been spent on better art. The Story sucks and I didn't need it or want it.

I played the demo and any hype I had left for the game died.
I fear I might be out.

You might not have wanted it. But Capcom and Disney are fishing for casuals. Not people like us. It sucks. But they see more money in them than they do on us. If this takes off very well. I could imagine there being an animated movie or some Capcom cameo in a new Disney or Marvel movie.

David___

Banned
That and I assume Panty Raid was a massive money sink that amounted to jack shit on top of it

I completely forgot about Panty Raid. Too think it was supposed to replace MT Framework as their engine too is completely bonkers considering they have nothing to show from it

Capcom maybe broke they haven't had a financial success in a while until RE7. SFV was disaster and a tremendous failure, same with dead rising 4, same with sf2 switch and this looks to be next in line. I still believe in Capcom I really do. RE7 gives me hope. But ono for sure have lost his vision since sfiv as he released two flops now sfxtekken and sfv. And this looks to be the 3rd one. Arksys on other hand is taking FG to the next era. They are the devs to watch out for.

Namco did excellent work with tekken7 and NRS goes without saying that they still make the best FG products. Rest of the world is moving on while Capcom is struggling since their biggest success of last decade that is sfiv.

Probably needed a quick turnaround for whatever reason. Not sure why Sony or Marvel thought they needed it this year, they could have easily delayed this by a year and release it during the Infinite Wars hype train coming with the movie.

JayEH

Sure looks like it. Capcom is barely AAA anymore. Even their flagship title RE7 cut some corners but for the most part it was still fine. It's embarrassing that a smaller company like ArcSys can make better looking fighting games with more content and better tutorials.

kewlmyc

Probably a mix of low budget and lack of time.

Weird, since you would think Marvel would give them a pretty good check to do this with, but I guess not.

The gameplay better be good because I doubt they can turn around and make the game not look like crap before it releases. I guess kinda like a KOFXIV situation where the gameplay holds up the crappy artstyle and graphics.

RocBase

If this is true then it certainly makes a lot more sense than the budget rhetoric that keeps creeping up.

The story demo really is garbage, but the actual gameplay looks to be top notch. Moving past the terrible art (which isn't really noticeable during gameplay), everything else is aces in my book.

imo Capcom probably thinks it'll sell no matter what the fuck they do.

It has Marvel in the tittle and the FGC will eat it up no matter how garbage it actually is.

Devil

I mean, after following SFV for more one year and while I love the game's core, it still feels like the dev team was and still is massively low on staff and money.

If I had to guess I'd say that Capcom wants to land a big fighting game hit or just harvest some whales but just isn't committed to actually investing into the overall quality of the game.

It's deeply frustrating to like the core of a game so much and then being letdown when it comes to everything else.

I expected Capcom to show some respect and care

200w.gif

Top Bottom