• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Nintendo Treehouse rely on memes too much? (Tri Force Heroes Localization)

Inspired by this tweet's image which showcases the difference in Tri Force Heroe's localization between NOA & NOE.

CSTDndlUYAEKWjK.png

And then I saw TheBitBlock railing on the Treehouse too for the same reason.
As I said earlier, NOA's localization team needs to stop this BS internet writing. You should be above this garbage.

I was surprised to see the sentiment so negative against the Treehouse, as I know they've often been lauded for their writing. I haven't really been read much of the in-game text yet--is that THAT bad?

Edit: For anyone who isn't familiar, the first image is based on a Doge meme

Doge-Meme-11.jpg

Edit: Discussion video with TheBitBlock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k59Pn3oxRsU

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It depends on the game of course but it seems like a perfect fit for a "silly" spin-off like Triforce Heroes. No need to get upset about it.

They do seem to shove them in whether it's a good idea or not. That particular example in the OP is terrible.

Never forget someone gave the OK to advertise fatal frame as 'spoopy'.

MNC

That sounds horrible. With they would rely on proper writing instead of easy internet laughs.

Robin64

It does feel like a really cheap way to make your script "funny", and usually it's not even funny either.

I'm not terribly bothered by either the US or EU localisation to be honest. The meme-ey one will show it's age faster, but I don't really feel that Zelda games need to be some *timeless artefact* anyway.

It's a title for a YouTube video advertisement, why does it even matter? It's not like a YouTube title of an ad video will be significant after the initial day of faux outrage.

Rlan

I'm more confused as to why they do two complete passes of English for all their games. It's rediculous, particularly when they rename digital only games, like Pushmo / Pullblox.

What a complete waste of money and consumer confusion.

JoeM86

Once in a while would be fine, but it is getting a bit excessive and may severely date the game in the future.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
EU translation sounds better imo, without considering NoAs lel doge meme.
But I don't see why NoA put that there. I guess the "my body is ready" well has run dry.

TimmiT

Treehouse's writing has been great in other games, like with Splatoon and Happy Home Designer. In comparison, Nintendo Europe's writing for Splatoon is disappointing.

Doesn't really seem game breaking to me, so whatever.

Now if it becomes a puzzle element or something super important to the game in itself, there might be a lil problem.

Krabboss

Doge meme's been garbage tier since day 1 and that it has persisted so long to make it into a video game translation is shocking.

There's been a few bad meme translations lately not done by Treehouse, also. FF14 and Monster Hunter 4 come to mind.

konjak

I sincerely loathe stuff like this. Good on Nintendo of Europe.

EDIT: They translate twice because they're different markets, and spelling and word usage differs so I assume they're pedantic about that as well. And they don't always do it.

And this is always a good point:
Once in a while would be fine, but it is getting a bit excessive and may severely date the game in the future.

randomkid

The first NoA sentence is a marked improvement over what NoE came up with, which reads way less natural. Just need to chop off the last four words, which is the kind of indulgent crap a good editor would veto.

Persona7

Banned
They do seem to shove them in whether it's a good idea or not. That particular example in the OP is terrible.

Yeah, I won't forget that one because I was laughing at the internet meltdowns about it. I loved that trailer title. They managed to get people talking about the game when otherwise they seem to have pretty much no advertising budget. They did a good job.

It seems like they are pandering to the MiiVerse crowd.

Which would make sense if we suddenly got the ability to directly post MiiVerse posts onto Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr, Instagram, and so forth.....

I do wish they were nicer towards YouTube, though.

Zalman

I'm not American, but even if I was this wouldn't bother me one bit.

I do wonder why they feel the need to have two different translations. It's the same language. Seems like a waste of resources to me.

JoeM86

I believe the reason for the localisations being different is due to the fact that in the past, the EU localisations were based on Nintendo of America's English translation, which caused a bit of a delay, so now Nintendo of Europe just go in and do it themselves straight away so there's no relying on Nintendo of America causing potential delays.

Well I'm once again glad to be living in Europe. That kind of idiocy would very quickly ruin my enjoyment.

I mean that Triforce Heroes example is already painfully dated and cringeworthy. If you want a funny script, hire some decent comedic writers to include actual jokes, not just shoehorning in this unfunny referencing of moronic shite a few dumb teens might smirk at the recognition of.

Mik317

It works in certain games.

and for the most part treehouse writers are really good and funny. The Mario RPGs for example.

Top Bottom