• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Nintendo Treehouse rely on memes too much? (Tri Force Heroes Localization)

This isn't a particularly recent develiper for Treehouse btw

0.jpg

spm_complaining_425px.jpg

GamerJM

Banned
Those are less meme-ic since they're just playing off culture and stereotypes. OP's example is a direct reference.

IIRC some of Superstar Saga's localization team frequented the Something Awful forums at the time, so the game has references to specific memes from there. I could be wrong.

Jackano

I'm not 100% against, but they need to not abuse of it.

Also, I'm shocked at the fact that both NoA and NoE have their english localizations. I know Nintendo had problems with Mario Party.... 4 IIRC?
But come on, what the fuck is this? Most publishers don't bother to have multi-5 localizations, and Nintendo gets two english ones? What kind of management is that, money throw by windows if you ask me.

And finally, a word on other languages from NoE. I hate when they change NPC names. I don't even know how the new princess is named in EN/JP. It's Mousseline in french. This allows cute names and puns, but IMO in today's internet world, worldwide culture and sharing thing, the most exposed names (boss, important NPC, etc) should be created with that fact in mind.

fernoca

There are different versions, because of different markets. The whole premise of the game is around weird jokes and attitudes, that may be lost from region to region.

I liked it, thought it fit the overall feel of the game. Is one of the reasons I like the game, it is weird. Sometimes reminds me of Katamari Damacy. Anyone just seeing the 2 pictures might get something else, but the game is not as serious as the EU translation makes it sound.

And yeah, TheBitBlock has been really lame over the last months. All about how much Nintendo sucks, fanart of what a new Animal Crossing game should be and just a bunch of cynism regarding everything Nintendo, how Nintendo is going downhill, how Chibi Robo and Yoshi shows Nintendo is making too many 2D platformers that look too similar...but that it's okay, because there's still some love towards Nintendo.

Truant

I'm not a huge meme guy (I only browse the deepest and dankest), but I thought that was kinda cute and silly.

Greddleok

Internet memes are just an easy thing for hacks to fall back on. They're not funny, and would only ever be funny to people who already know the meme.

OPs example is just so cringe worthy.

Given the screenshot in the OP I think they need to dial it back.

It works for a game like Splatoon where the whole setting revolves around flash-in-the-pan adolescent fashion that looks dated in no time at all but also quaint; it fits the characters perfectly. Here it looks more like the kind of misfired attempt by adults to talk to kids that occasionally show up on NoA's Twitter feed, something they should know they are groaned at and derided for already.

GamerJM

Banned
memes are bad

sBUtJUf.png

Tbh "git gud," is less of a meme and more of just internet slang. Also it's a lot less hamfisted.

That being said I don't think memes are inherently bad, I just think that the example in the OP is. I thought that the spoopy trailer for Fatal Frame 5 was hilarious.

Jakten

I think meme humour is generally pretty lazy to put into a product like this and drastically dates it but it would at least be mildly acceptable if there was a dog on the screen. This joke fails the meme and I don't understand why they went with it. If you want to make a joke then actually take the time to make one.

Psyae

If I wasn't familiar with the doge meme, I would just think that this character is a bit quirky. It's completely fine in my opinion, but it should definitely be used sparingly. If used too much that can become jarring, but once or twice isn't enough for me to have any real complaints. I definitely need to play more Triforce Heroes to form a real opinion on if this game is affected in a negative way by it, but so far it does seem like it's integrated well since everything about this game is already quirky and weird (in a good way). If there was a story that should be taken seriously, then there might be a problem.

Vena

This feels like missing the forest for the trees in a nonsensical silly game like TriForce Heroes.

Seems more like complaining for complaining's sake.

GamerJM

Banned
Oh jeez, I made the mistake of looking at that person's other tweets.

He's a Gamergate supporter.

Also yeah I did this too and was pretty disappointed, though I wasn't surprised given GGers in the responses.

It's honestly pretty disturbing to me how many randos on gaming sites still support GG. Though I don't want to derail this topic.

Nanashrew

Banned
This feels like missing the forest for the trees in a nonsensical silly game like TriForce Heroes.

Seems more like complaining for complaining's sake.

Yeah, watching gameplay of it and everything, this isn't immersion breaking or whatever. The game is downright silly with lots of nods to older games in the series. Lots of jokes, lots of silliness, lots of fun.

If I wasn't familiar with the doge meme, I would just think that this character is a bit quirky.

If I wasn't familiar with the meme I'd just think he's mentally challenged if I'm honest. Outside of the meme context there is no reason to randomly repeat fragments of your sentence afterwards in broken English.

Pokemaniac

It seems like they are pandering to the MiiVerse crowd.

Which would make sense if we suddenly got the ability to directly post MiiVerse posts onto Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr, Instagram, and so forth.....

I do wish they were nicer towards YouTube, though.

That happened a while ago. Web Miiverse has had buttons to share posts on other social media sites for a while.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
So that we get an inferior localization here in NA.

NA localisations are almost always superior to the dry and overly literal ones than NoE produces. The EU text in the OP is really clunky.

Triforce Heroes is a silly spinoff so these kind of jokes seem just fine to me. The sanctity of Zelda is not being stained by a few memes in a wacky offshoot title.

Nanashrew

Banned
If anything, it may date this one part. But I don't believe there are anymore examples of meme usage in this game so they didn't really abuse it.

If this was a more serious game, I would find it pretty cringe worthy though.

Sakura

Personally I think it is pretty terrible.
If there is a Japanese meme in the original people here wouldn't get, then sure, localise it. But inserting memes for the sake of inserting memes... Just seems really immature/poor work to me.

It depends, for a game like triforce heroes, who is super silly and remind me a lot of the tingles games, this kind of dialogue is fine!

the french translation of this game is really silly too, and i love it

NA localisations are almost always superior to the dry and overly literal ones than NoE produces. The EU text in the OP is really clunky.

Triforce Heroes is a silly spinoff so these kind of jokes seem just fine to me. The sanctity of Zelda is not being stained by a few memes in a wacky offshoot title.
Probably I was being very subtle with that post though

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Also, I'm shocked at the fact that both NoA and NoE have their english localizations. I know Nintendo had problems with Mario Party.... 4 IIRC?
But come on, what the fuck is this? Most publishers don't bother to have multi-5 localizations, and Nintendo gets two english ones? What kind of management is that, money throw by windows if you ask me.
Please. I'm so glad we're finally free after so many years of 'moms', 'elevators' and 'yeehaws'. We now have a script that actually is in the English indicated by the Union Flag on language select screens.

Pic semi related:

GwlnPjN.jpg

I didn't even know that NoA and NoE are using completely separate EN translations!? Or are they just changing certain parts? But I suppose since NoE started translation directly from the NoJ version instead of waiting for NoA to finish it does make sense.

And yeah, this kind of meme language goes a bit too far for my taste. A lot of memes will also be forgotten in a couple of years and then it's just weird.

Top Bottom