• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does running a laptop without the battery make it run cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krpiper

I was wondering if running my laptop would have any effects on the temp of the laptop, especially when playing games. The fan out the side (I assume its blowing the hot air away) blows out some fairly warm air.

I have a fan blowing at my computer as well as its slightly elevated using some wood blocks.

Thanks!

I was wondering if running my laptop would have any effects on the temp of the laptop, especially when playing games. The fan out the side (I assume its blowing the hot air away) blows out some fairly warm air.

I have a fan blowing at my computer as well as its slightly elevated using some wood blocks.

Thanks!

Your laptop should automatically switch over to the "wall" power automatically once charging is done. Otherwise your battery would be damaged from being overcharged. In essence, this means your battery won't put out any additional heat. So I do not believe in will help cool your laptop.

Trouble

Banned
Your laptop should automatically switch over to the "wall" power automatically once charging is done. Otherwise your battery would be damaged from being overcharged. In essence, this means your battery won't put out any additional heat. So I do not believe in will help cool your laptop.

I think most laptops go into trickle-charge mode, where they give just enough juice to the battery to keep it at 100%. Regardless this would add an insignificant amount of heat (if any) compared to CPU, GPU, HDD, etc.

Don't some laptops underclock themselves and run slower when the battery is removed? Maybe it was just a Mac thing, but I remember reading about that a few years ago.

Ironlion45

Neo Member
Only if by having the battery compartment open, more heat would be able to radiate from the case through he empty space. Possibly (but not likely) airflow too, I suppose.

Really though, I suspect that any benefit you gain from this would be negligible. If your laptop is overheating, the first thing to try will be thoroughly cleaning it inside with canned air.

krpiper

Only if by having the battery compartment open, more heat would be able to radiate from the case through he empty space. Possibly (but not likely) airflow too, I suppose.

Really though, I suspect that any benefit you gain from this would be negligible. If your laptop is overheating, the first thing to try will be thoroughly cleaning it inside with canned air.

It's not overheating (I don't think) it just runs warm when playing a game or something.

Worth a shot I suppose haha

jb1234

My laptop has been having overheating issues for the last month. It's randomly turned off while I'm playing Ultima Underworld. DOSBOX must be a real resource grabber.

Gotta get some canned air...

Bear

Don't some laptops underclock themselves and run slower when the battery is removed? Maybe it was just a Mac thing, but I remember reading about that a few years ago.

This.

I'm not sure if it's universal, but it's pretty common and mine definitely does this. It runs around 10 degrees cooler on idle, and probably 20 degrees cooler while gaming. This applies to all power settings. (EDIT: nevermind, misread as running cooler while on battery, not without)

If you want to monitor your temperatures, download CoreTemp. If you have an AMD card, ATI Tray Tools also has a build in temperature monitor (which can be used in-game).

Suairyu

Banned
I don't know about all laptops, but the Apple iBooks ran much hotter if you didn't have the battery in while using the adapter.

But then again Apple laptops have always been stupid-hot devices lacking in proper airflow because Jobs valued silence over safety.

Aguirre

i dont know.

but i do know that if you too much saved on your harddrive, it makes the laptop heavier, therefore it will sink more into your thighs/bed/whatever, restricting airflow and making the internal fan work harder. so to alleviate that, download more memory for your harddrive, at least 500gig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom