• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Sony need more variety in their first party games? Can we do less skill trees.

Mattyp

Gold Member
It’s one of the reasons I won’t be buying a PS5. I don’t need another 8 hour third person exclusive for the year.

variety? People should be calling them out on multiplayer games, that is the biggest issue Sony faces. Into the second generation now of them not being able to create or capture an audience long term.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I started to make the list of the genres of the PS4 1st party games and it's so long I didn't complete it, this is only from 2013 to 2016, not even half of a generation (they follow the order of the wikipedia entry, I skipped some like ports or copublished and I'm lazy to review it so very likely some are duplied):
FPS
3D platformer
Action MMO
Personality test adventure difficult to put in a genre (Doki-Doki Universe)
Puzzle
2.5D SHMUP
Rythm platformer
Mini game collection experience / tech demo
Arcade racer
Traditional open world action adventure
UGC platformer/multi-genre
Baseball
Survival Horror action adventure
2.5D stealth game
Top down shooter
Rhythm game
Psychodelic art game difficult to put in a genre (Hohokum)
Singing game
First person adventure art game or something like that (Unfinished Swan)
Soulsborne
Cutest game protagonist ever simulator gravity whatever flying open world action adventure
Hack & Slash
3D platformer
TPS action adventure
Interactive drama survival horror
Interactive drama action adventure
Walking simulator
Action RPG
2.5D PvP strategy game
Billiard
Whatever Flow, Flower and Journey are (but also released in previous gen)
2D fighting game (previous gen port funded, published and ported -outsourcing it- by Sony)
First person horror VR game
TPS 3D platformer
2.5D action adventure
Action adventure puzzle? (TLG)
Top down shooter ARPG
Platformer? art game (Bound)
Online vehicular combat game
(Assymmetric MOBA?) PVP top down shooter (Killstrain)
Difficult to put in a genre (Tomorrow Children)
Racing VR game
Billiards VR game
FPS sports VR game
'Jenga'-like puzzle VR game
Rail shooter VR game

It's a way longer list covering not even half of a generation instead of two generations. Btw, half of the years of the last decade had a ('shit action adventure') PS exclusive as the game with more GOTY awards. 9 of the 10 years had a game playable on PS. Only one of them had a Nintendo game. So they aren't 'shit', in addition to have more variety than the Nintendo 1st party games they also win more awards than them.
You counting only sony owned studios? That is what the OP is talking about not contract work 2nd party games or money hats etc. What is the current output of sony owned studios. I miss the ps1 and ps2 diversity myself. I understand after uncharted wanting to recycle the naughty dog template but ffs it's OK to try other things. God of War didn't need to turn into God of uncharted with a sully like side kick to boot ffs. Let insomniac make a resistance game be a cool change. Not shutdown the Japanese studios ffs to make glorified demos. Give me a old school epic jrpg or strategy rpg. How about a real effort into twisted metal ffs please not the shit destruction Allstars.

I mean, what about Death Stranding, Demon's Souls, Returnal, Detroit, Destruction All Stars and going back few years back Bloodborne, Gran Turismo Sport and even Uncharted 4 and even more. I really don't think skill trees are a constant in their games.

SSfox

Skill tree is great when it's fitting and well implemented. Imo GOW and GOT are the games that nailed it best.

T0minator

Throughout their portfolio Sony has created Resistance, MAG, Killzone SOCOM, RPGs like Legends of Dragoon, Dark Cloud, Horizon, and God of War having RPG elements... throughout their time as a publishers they have created a vast amount of variety ..more than Nintendo and Microsoft in 20yrs

Shmunter

Wish we could go back to basics with massive immersion and storytelling as the focus with games like e.g Last Guardian

bitbydeath

We can go game by game the past two years going into the latest known announcement we know to prove this is objectively false. PS3 Sony was, but so far this generation it hasn't been close. I would say since the launch of HZD sony kind of fallen into a niche.
Less talking, more showing, native Xbox Series titles only, go!

Where are thier shooters? (1st person and 3rd)
2D platformers?
Fighting games?
RPG? (J or W)
RTS?
Sandbox?
Survival?

I don’t really mind the skill trees, but I am getting tired of open-world games. I don’t mind a few, but it seems like so many games nowadays are more formulaic and safe. I don’t mind Sony making some open world games especially since they are typically really good, but since a good amount of other developers create similar games, it starts to feel somewhat homogenized to me.

Aldric

You counting only sony owned studios? That is what the OP is talking about not contract work 2nd party games or money hats etc. What is the current output of sony owned studios. I miss the ps1 and ps2 diversity myself. I understand after uncharted wanting to recycle the naughty dog template but ffs it's OK to try other things. God of War didn't need to turn into God of uncharted with a sully like side kick to boot ffs. Let insomniac make a resistance game be a cool change. Not shutdown the Japanese studios ffs to make glorified demos. Give me a old school epic jrpg or strategy rpg. How about a real effort into twisted metal ffs please not the shit destruction Allstars.
He's trying to give Sony credit for a Street Fighter 4 port, he's a bozo.

I know people will see this as FUD but I was listening to a podcast on Sony’s up coming games that we know of and as people stated before they all seem to have a similar back bone.

Spider-Man = Third person action adventure with light RPG elements (Skill tree)

GOW = Third person action adventure with light RPG elements

Horizion = TPAAwLRPGE

Wolverine = not much info but we can assume unless it’ll be a full rpg in the isometric view

Naughty Dog also has a similar DNA to their games. As my favorite studio I feel they mastered the formula the best tho.

As someone who games on all consoles (XsX, PS5 and switch) I’m not too bothered by it since my PS5 is my exclusive box but do you think Sony should add a bit of diversity to their game line up from a genre perspective? Would you like to see them fund a large budget Crpg or an isometric strategy game? Maybe dive into more untraditional genres. I know from a business perspective if it ain’t broke…but what about from a non mainstream fan perspective. What would y’all like to see, or just stick to what they’ve been doing?
At the least I’d like to see them do less skill trees and maybe do a game that is either a full RPG. The quality of their studios doing a full on RPG sounds like a good ass time to me.

horizon-zero-dawn-3-1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Marvels-Spider-Man_20180906111143-1024x576.jpg

071720-Ghost-Of-Tsushima-Guide-Image1.jpg
You must think Sony is in the same position as Nintendo. They are not.

Nintendo has to provide a well rounded selection of First Party titles, because that is basically their core business. Nintendo can't rely on Third Parties for their library. That was also why they pay for Bayonetta production.

On the other hand, Sony assumes all Third Party games would be available on their hardware. As such their core business is to collect the 30% rent from these games. Sony's 1st party is not for generating profits directly, but to pad out the library where Third Parties had been neglecting. This means right now Sony is almost exclusively focused on Single Player games with minimum microtransactions, because that is what is lacking in the 3rd party market.

If the market inverts by some miracle and everyone start shipping single player games, then Sony would likely start making Battle Royale titles instead to balance it. Sony is a Platform Holder, and the balance of the available library is what they care about.

DrAspirino

Banned
Sony HAD a really good shooter series called "KillZone" (developed by Guerrilla Games), but they ditched it away, just like their other iconic brands from before the Andrew House era.

So yeah, Sony ditched their varied franchises to focus on 2 or 3 game genres, which is a shame, considering their history.

Why do people still justify Sony, when they've shat on their legacy and their history 100 times over? I can never understand that.

Announcement? Is that what you play now, announcements? How about actual released games and good damn games too? Yes please, let's focus on the last two years and take a look at those lists. Why don't you start with the Xbox list for 2021 I posted a few posts back, including all the third party console exclusives for Xbox. Years 2019 and 2018 must make for an even bigger and louder laugh....oh but you

You must think Sony is in the same position as Nintendo. They are not.

Nintendo has to provide a well rounded selection of First Party titles, because that is basically their core business. Nintendo can't rely on Third Parties for their library. That was also why they pay for Bayonetta production.

On the other hand, Sony assumes all Third Party games would be available on their hardware. As such their core business is to collect the 30% rent from these games. Sony's 1st party is not for generating profits directly, but to pad out the library where Third Parties had been neglecting. This means right now Sony is almost exclusively focused on Single Player games with minimum microtransactions, because that is what is lacking in the 3rd party market.

If the market inverts by some miracle and everyone start shipping single player games, then Sony would likely start making Battle Royale titles instead to balance it. Sony is a Platform Holder, and the balance of the available library is what they care about.
I never once said Sony needs any of this... I said what would people like to see, not what games does Sony need to make to hit their investors quarterly...idc about that.

I never once said Sony needs any of this... I said what would people like to see, not what games does Sony need to make to hit their investors quarterly...idc about that.
I have no idea why you think I am talking about stock prices.

Sony is about keeping their gaming platform healthy. This means making sure there are all types of games on their platform. You are arguing that it means Sony need to make all the types of games themselves. But that makes no financial sense whatsoever. For example, if Sony makes a Fortnite clone to compete with Fortnite, their actual profits wouldn't actually change much. Because if people move to Sony's Fortnite clone that would just make up for the losses in profits from the actual Fortnite game that was giving them 30% cut.

As a platform holder they want Playstation to have a good selection of quality games. And what with the limits on funds, manpower and time, it is not possible for Sony to do everything equally well. So for the maximum benefit to the platform and gamers in general, Sony is focusing on Single Player games right now due to the nature of the fluctuating gaming market. They are ensuring people who want single player games, actually have a console to own.

You want Sony to make something else? What ever that something else is, i am pretty sure a 3rd party studio is already doing it. And that same third party game likely already is available on Playstation. And Sony would rather you buy and play THAT game, rather than Sony making a 1st party title that does the same things.

yoyo67

I kinda agree. I skipped ps4, but I got a ps5. The skill trees started getting too familiar lol. Spiderman is unique though, skill tree or no skill tree.

Corgi1985

Banned
everything is a third person cinematic grab the highlighted ledge and shimmy through a narrow passage to hide a loading screen game. Horizon is very bad.

Sony HAD a really good shooter series called "KillZone" (developed by Guerrilla Games), but they ditched it away, just like their other iconic brands from before the Andrew House era.

So yeah, Sony ditched their varied franchises to focus on 2 or 3 game genres, which is a shame, considering their history.

Why do people still justify Sony, when they've shat on their legacy and their history 100 times over? I can never understand that.
People who want to play shooters are spoilled for choice right now. It doesn't matter how good an old game was, it wouldn't survive if it can't compete with existing shooters of today.

Sony would revive Killzone if and when shooters all but vanish from Third Party portfolios. That is their job.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Less talking, more showing, native Xbox Series titles only, go!

Where are thier shooters? (1st person and 3rd)
2D platformers?
Fighting games?
RPG? (J or W)
RTS?
Sandbox?
Survival?

FPS- Halo, Gears, Wolf, Doom, Prey, Quake.
2D - Best 2d exclusives of the generation, but not Microsoft owned.
Fighting - Killer Instinct
RPG - Fable, Elder-scrolls, Avowed, Outerworlds plus more.
RTS - Age Of Empires, Wastelands
Sandbox in what way? Forza Horizon.
Survival - State of Decay
Similation - Flight Sim, Motorsport

bitbydeath

FPS- Halo, Gears, Wolf, Doom, Prey, Quake.
2D - Best 2d exclusives of the generation, but not Microsoft owned.
Fighting - Killer Instinct
RPG - Fable, Elder-scrolls, Avowed, Outerworlds plus more.
RTS - Age Of Empires, Wastelands
Sandbox in what way? Forza Horizon.
Survival - State of Decay
Similation - Flight Sim, Motorsport
Current-gen only was the criteria.
Has to run native otherwise the list would be far too long.

Last edited:

TheKratos

No, that's the problem right there IMHO. They've given up designing, and resigned themselves to a " we can't do better!" - which if they can't, stop making games, you aren't offering anything IMO.

Skill trees are exactly why 3x runs on the 5min Pacman Championship DX level (from psp mini game running on PS3) reminded me of why gaming is my thing - by contrast of 10hrs in HZD, pacman is exhilarating and immersive because it doesn't give you 2seconds to look away to think about anything else and do your best.

For me, gameplay is king, always has been, and is the reason I continue in frustration to buy Nintendo consoles every generation since the Cube, knowing that I need gameplay heavy games, to get through the main offering of great story and graphics - designed by committee gameplay - games Sony produce.

Gaming at its core - IMHO - is supposed to immersive, and there's nothing in gameplay less immersive than a skill tree at the moment. MGS4 is probably on the apex of the problem for me. As it sensibly provides a virtual training room to hone skills for controls/UI which negates the need for a story influencing skill tree, yet still manages to break the immersion massively with the weapon unlock trading, which feels like skill tree trudge.
Don't know about that chief. I started gaming, as many did, with stomping on Goombas. Nothing immersive about that but pure fun gameplay.

Personally I don't find Pacman more immersive than HZD and, not to be blunt, I find it laughable that you do. I can get lost in the beautiful of Horizon, can't say the same about a game like Pacman. Sure I spent more hours on Flappy Bird and couldn't be distracted but it ain't more immersive than HZD.

I think the issue you have has nothing to do with skill trees or weapon smith (2 completely different things btw), you come off as if the mere fact you can pause the game would break "immersion".

To me immersion comes from the world created, the story told and the sound designed. Obviously if the gameplay is shit I wouldn't play the game till the end but it has nothing to do with immersion. I can easily spend hours in the pause menu reading lore or checking skill tree, unpause and continue to be immersed. GOW, Fallout, Skyrim, all beautiful immersive games with skill trees.

GymWolf

No, that's the problem right there IMHO. They've given up designing, and resigned themselves to a " we can't do better!" - which if they can't, stop making games, you aren't offering anything IMO.

Skill trees are exactly why 3x runs on the 5min Pacman Championship DX level (from psp mini game running on PS3) reminded me of why gaming is my thing - by contrast of 10hrs in HZD, pacman is exhilarating and immersive because it doesn't give you 2seconds to look away to think about anything else and do your best.

For me, gameplay is king, always has been, and is the reason I continue in frustration to buy Nintendo consoles every generation since the Cube, knowing that I need gameplay heavy games, to get through the main offering of great story and graphics - designed by committee gameplay - games Sony produce.

Gaming at its core - IMHO - is supposed to immersive, and there's nothing in gameplay less immersive than a skill tree at the moment. MGS4 is probably on the apex of the problem for me. As it sensibly provides a virtual training room to hone skills for controls/UI which negates the need for a story influencing skill tree, yet still manages to break the immersion massively with the weapon unlock trading, which feels like skill tree trudge.
Next time maybe try hzd on max difficulty level so you can see how much you can get distracted during combat before becoming dead meat...

Hint, not much...

Of course if you talk about the remaining game time when you don't fight then that's on you, nobody buy an open world action rpg expecting pacman gameplay\pacing, of course you have more dull moments in a big 50 hours game.

I don't know what skill trees has anything to do in a pac man\horizon comparison tbh...

PaintTinJr

Next time maybe try hzd on max difficulty level so you can see how much you can get distracted during combat before becoming dead meat...

Hint, not much...

Of course if you talk about the remaining game time when you don't fight then that's on you, nobody buy an open world action rpg expecting pacman gameplay\pacing, of course you have more dull moments in a big 50 hours game.

I don't know what skill trees has anything to do in a pac man\horizon comparison tbh...
I'm not saying it is a rubbish game, I'm saying it isn't very immersive because of the design decisions

Let's face it, if you removed skill trees from all of the games in the industry, what on earth would publishers then use to sell deluxe SKUs of games? The skill tree is anti-gaming IMO, because its need feels like it is driven by accountants, not game designers. It even hampers story telling, because writers are then forced to structure the story around unlocking things.

GymWolf

I'm not saying it is a rubbish game, I'm saying it isn't very immersive because of the design decisions

Let's face it, if you removed skill trees from all of the games in the industry, what on earth would publishers then use to sell deluxe SKUs of games? The skill tree is anti-gaming IMO, because its need feels like it is driven by accountants, not game designers. It even hampers story telling, because writers are then forced to structure the story around unlocking things.
I don't know what the fuck are you talking about so let's just cut the discussion here because you are making zero sense to me...

PaintTinJr

To me immersion comes from the world created, the story told and the sound designed. Obviously if the gameplay is shit I wouldn't play the game till the end but it has nothing to do with immersion. I can easily spend hours in the pause menu reading lore or checking skill tree, unpause and continue to be immersed. GOW, Fallout, Skyrim, all beautiful immersive games with skill trees.
The medium is "gaming", so IMO, without being immersed in gaming - gameplay - it isn't immersive. It certainly doesn't feel immersive when I'm aware of how many games that all came before - that I've played - using the same skill tree mechanic a decade earlier - and because the mechanic is a trudge and boring for me, now - my subconscious starts deconstructing the design while playing, rather than being engrossed in gameplay and the surprise of the open game world experience.

Hypocritically I'll remember and judge decade old games with this design mechanic fondly, because it was fresher, back then.

TheKratos

The medium is "gaming", so IMO, without being immersed in gaming - gameplay - it isn't immersive. It certainly doesn't feel immersive when I'm aware of how many games that all came before - that I've played - using the same skill tree mechanic a decade earlier - and because the mechanic is a trudge and boring for me, now - my subconscious starts deconstructing the design while playing, rather than being engrossed in gameplay and the surprise of the open game world experience.

Hypocritically I'll remember and judge decade old games with this design mechanic fondly, because it was fresher, back then.
I get your point. Everyone has a different take on immersion. To me what really breaks immersion is for example if the main character is super OP in gameplay and gets destroyed in cutscenes, and I'mnot even talking about RPGs. One big example is Drake in UC4, destroys everyone in gameplay but gets fucked in cutscenes even in a 2v1 situation with his brother helping him.

What I like about GOW is he's badass in gameplay and cutscenes.

Topher

Gold Member
It’s one of the reasons I won’t be buying a PS5. I don’t need another 8 hour third person exclusive for the year.

variety? People should be calling them out on multiplayer games, that is the biggest issue Sony faces. Into the second generation now of them not being able to create or capture an audience long term.

But a lot of gamers don't care about multiplayer at all so why would they call Sony out on that? All I play is single player and that is where Sony excels. Even if I were a multiplayer gamer, the industry is overflowing with options there. The industry is not overflowing with experiences like the ones Sony provides where characters and stories compliment great game play at an extremely high level. Not from my perspective anyway. So I don't see the same "issue" you say Sony is facing, but as you say that is why I'm gaming on PS5 and you are not.

GymWolf

I get your point. Everyone has a different take on immersion. To me what really breaks immersion is for example if the main character is super OP in gameplay and gets destroyed in cutscenes, and I'mnot even talking about RPGs. One big example is Drake in UC4, destroys everyone in gameplay but gets fucked in cutscenes even in a 2v1 situation with his brother helping him.

What I like about GOW is he's badass in gameplay and cutscenes.
That's just because drunkman had to make the black chick super strong to please anita.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Why do people get so defensive about their favorite brands…..

also, while i think sony relied on a few of the same too many tropes after tlou, i think they have more variety now

Last edited:

cHaOs667

Has to run native otherwise the list would be far too long.
That doesn't make sense.

The way how the system is designed since the X1, means that every game from the X1 runs "natively" on the XS consoles. They use a Container/VM like approach where one OS acts like a hyper-visor and abstracts the whole system architecture for the actual shell OS (the UI) and the game itself. For this reason, games are running on the XS consoles like they would run on the X1 series of consoles - nearly 100% compatibility guaranteed.

Only games that required Kinect are unsupported, as the hyper visor OS of the XS does not come with any drivers for Kinect.

As for the title question, it's always good to produce a higher amount of variety in games. But I see the point OP makes, as there is a trend to TPS with light skill trees in Sony's titles.
I actually like those games, but would welcome other types too.

Mattyp

Gold Member
But a lot of gamers don't care about multiplayer at all so why would they call Sony out on that? All I play is single player and that is where Sony excels. Even if I were a multiplayer gamer, the industry is overflowing with options there. The industry is not overflowing with experiences like the ones Sony provides where characters and stories compliment great game play at an extremely high level. Not from my perspective anyway. So I don't see the same "issue" you say Sony is facing, but as you say that is why I'm gaming on PS5 and you are not.

If all you care about is single player Sony exclusives that’s fine, but there’s less then a week worth of game time then for the entire year.

Each their own.

Topher

Gold Member
If all you care about is single player Sony exclusives that’s fine, but there’s less then a week worth of game time then for the entire year.

Not really. I think I've got over a 100 hours in Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Spider-Man. Over 40 in God of War. 20+ in TLOU 2 and Spider-Man Miles Morales. Those games took me more than just a week to finish. But the thing is I don't want to play the same game over and over endlessly and I play plenty of non-exclusives as well so the "entire year" is filled with plenty of different games. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Each their own.
Sony WANT you to play all kinds of games. It's just that they prefer you to buy Third Party games for that purpose. Sony is not Nintendo, they are NOT discouraging you from playing Fortnite or Call of Duty. Sony get paid just as handsomely for these titles. It is silly to claim that you are suppose to buy a PS5 to ONLY play the exclusives. That isn't the intended way to use it.

This is why Playstation ads feature IP from across the spectrum of Third Party titles. Sony never told you to only play first party.

Last edited:

yurinka

You counting only sony owned studios?
I was counting first party games, which means games published by Sony owned studios. Like the Nintendo list I quoted it also includes 2nd party games, or 3rd party games published by the 1st party.

If we limit the lists to only games developed by internal 1st party studios Sony also has a longer and more varied amount of genres covered, even if obviously both lists got smaller.

Last edited:

Aldric

I was counting first party games, which means games published by Sony owned studios. Like the Nintendo list I quoted it also includes 2nd party games, or 3rd party games published by the 3rd party.

If we limit the lists to only games developed by internal 1st party studios Sony also has a longer and more varied amount of genres covered, even if obviously both lists got smaller.
Your list is complete bollocks, you're counting similar games as different genres based on their setting, list 3rd party games available on every platform under the sun (even the fucking 3DS) and even billard as two separate genres because one is regular billard and the other is VR, yeah great gameplay variety you've go there.

Anyway here's a list of genres represented by Nintendo published games from 2013 to 2016, no dishonest padding here or made up classification, as you can see Nintendo still has more variety:

-tactical rpg
-edutainment
-roguelike turn based rpg
-point and click action adventure
-2D platformer
-life simulation
-rpg
-party game
-top down action adventure puzzle game
-arcade golf
-platform fighter
-art training
-minigame compilation
-turn based strategy
-sandbox career simulator
-online coop action adventure puzzle game
-arcade olympic sports
-muso
-rythmn game
-online multiplayer FPS
-puzzle game
-level editor 2D platformer
-action adventure tower defense
-multiplayer submarine combat
-free to play haggling baseball game
-arcade soccer
-rythmn platformer
-crate/items collecting game
-puzzle platformer
-beat em up
-quiz
-rts
-hack n slash
-exergame
-3D platformer
-kart racer
-open world rpg
-online multiplayer TPS
-TPS/hack n slash
-survival horror/photography
-board game
-arcade tennis
-2D/3D hybrid arena fighter
-tower defense
-rail shooter

yurinka

Your list is complete bollocks, you're counting similar games as different genres based on their setting, list 3rd party games available on every platform under the sun (even the fucking 3DS) and even billard as two separate genres because one is regular billard and the other is VR, yeah great gameplay variety you've go there.
I had a typo, I said 'published by the 3d party' when I meant to say 'published by the first party'. As I said it was the list of frist party games, so the games published by the 1st party (which includes games not developed by their internal 1st party studios, same as the Nintendo list). If I would have included exclusive games published by 3rd partie the list would be even way bigger than the Nintendo one because Sony gets way more 3rd party exclusives.

As far as I know, none of these Sony published games I listed have been released on 3DS or 'every platform under the sun'. Which ones do you mean?

Since PS4 was released mid/late November 2013, my list only includes a short list of games released for that year. The list only included games published on PS4 and PSVR, so doesn't include the PS3 and PS Vita they released in that 2013-2016 period (GT6, Gow Ascension, Puppeteer, Invizimals: The Lost Kingdom, Wonderbook games, Ratchet, Sly Cooper, Rain, Killzone Mercenary, Soul Sacrifice, Freedom Wars and a long etc). Including PS3 and Vita games would have made the list longer too.

And yes as I mentioned the list may had some duplied ones because I got tired of filling it and didn't review it. I didn't want to waste too much time into it.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The future is in big games that hold player attention for 50+ hours.

Small games like Psychonauts II and Kena Bridge of Spirits don't really move the needle for these massive publishers.

They want us engrossed in game worlds. They don't want us burning through games in a weekend and moving on to the next thing right after. That's a colossal waste of resources.

FStubbs

People who want to play shooters are spoilled for choice right now. It doesn't matter how good an old game was, it wouldn't survive if it can't compete with existing shooters of today.

Sony would revive Killzone if and when shooters all but vanish from Third Party portfolios. That is their job.
So .... what are all the big first person shooters out there right now? Call of Duty, Halo, what else?

Mattyp

Gold Member
Sony WANT you to play all kinds of games. It's just that they prefer you to buy Third Party games for that purpose. Sony is not Nintendo, they are NOT discouraging you from playing Fortnite or Call of Duty. Sony get paid just as handsomely for these titles. It is silly to claim that you are suppose to buy a PS5 to ONLY play the exclusives. That isn't the intended way to use it.

This is why Playstation ads feature IP from across the spectrum of Third Party titles. Sony never told you to only play first party.

No shit? But I can play those titles on a better system with a better controller on the xbox. My PlayStations have always been exclusive only machines, that just doesn’t stack up with the hours of return anymore. Maybe if they ever do a Socom again 🤷🏻‍♂️

MrFunSocks

Banned
And that’s where the disconnect is between normal people and those you replied to - we care about us, they care about Sony.

No shit? But I can play those titles on a better system with a better controller on the xbox. My PlayStations have always been exclusive only machines, that just doesn’t stack up with the hours of return anymore. Maybe if they ever do a Socom again 🤷🏻‍♂️
Owning both PlayStation and Xbox had always been a bad deal. I am not going to pretend it isn't.
You do you, have fun with Xbox. I am waiting for psvr2 launch before jumping in, myself.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Owning both PlayStation and Xbox had always been a bad deal. I am not going to pretend it isn't.
You do you, have fun with Xbox. I am waiting for psvr2 launch before jumping in, myself.

I still haven’t jumped into any VR until we go wireless, a lot to ask for I know and uniformed controls across the board. I still don’t see it catching hold for a good generation but.

I don't care for those, there are plenty of third party options... and well for those who are into these TLoU2 has something coming I guess, GoW does not lend itself well to MP (maybe some other style than usual given the different gameplay style).

Anyway, I could not care less, in fact I'm happy they don't try to force MP modes into the SP games, it binds together two games (MP + SP) for no reason.

But apparently something will be done about it, so we should see what happens in the next few years.

No Way Wrestling GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

I thought you were gonna say that the PC is better for FPS or something... then you brought up this BS argument.

Top Bottom