• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does this really happen at Walmart?

Nymphae

Banned
Yeah my aunt was a greeter a while ago and they had to sing some stupid team song every morning.

Last edited:

logicslayer

When I worked at a certain chain, we had to do a CHAMPS Cheer. Not nearly as degrading as this though. Also, we didn't have to do it in the view of customers.

Fbh

hahah Holy Shit. One of the retail companies I used to work for did some cringy "team building" stuff but nothing this bad. And thankfully out branch manager hated them too so we almost never did them

Anyway, I don't know what's worse
- The poor employees having to partake in this
- The branch manager actually having to perform this without cringing himself to death (just imagine the meeting where he was told he has to do this)
- The fact someone was paid (probably pretty decently) to come up with this idea

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
When I worked at a certain chain, we had to do a CHAMPS Cheer. Not nearly as degrading as this though. Also, we didn't have to do it in the view of customers.

Where do they do this in front of customers? I don't see any in the OP video, usually at WalMart they do it before opening I think.

Fox Mulder

I worked backroom at Target and skipped this kind of shit they would do too. It just depends on the masters degree retail management nerd you get running the store.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Sadly this is because some top-managers believe that it motivates employees and raises team spirit.
And while it sure has some effects on some people, I surely has the opposite effect on others.
A good manager would know that this isnt what makes you win a war, and that there are other, much better ways to motivate and support teamwork.

Last edited:

Vlaphor

I used to work at Wal-Mart I never had to do anything like that, but the upper managers there would have the mid-level managers do a silly chant with them in the morning after a meeting. Nothing too embarrassing per se, certainly nothing like that.

Sakura

We used to have to do this when I worked at Walmart, but it was a different chant that we did.
There was a meeting every morning, after the meeting you do the chant. It was after the store opens of course, so there would be customers.
It wasn't all that bad though. Sometimes the meetings could be like 20 minutes or so, so you don't have to work for 20 minutes.

brap

Banned
What the fuck
756070.jpg

DiscoJer

I work at Walmart. There's actually a cheer, but it's "Give Me a W, etc, etc, etc". I've never seen it done seriously, only sarcastically.

Tesseract

Banned
yup that is team building hell, i experienced a year of it when i worked in electronics

just let them fuck your shit up, accept the darkness

lil puff

This also happens in corporate.

Whenever my company does shit like this, usually 15 minutes earlier I start fumbling around my desk like I lost something, grumble things like "oh shit fuck" and rush out the door.

Or I'll take some office trash and boxes to make it look like I'm about to do something important.

I want no part of any office team stuff.

Codes 208

Ah yes, the ritualistic morning hoorah. How i remember it so.

We werent forced to be part of the team spirit, but they definitely made you feel obligated to. It just depended on my mood, if i was hyper fuck yeah id sing along.

lil puff

Ah yes, the ritualistic morning hoorah. How i remember it so.

We werent forced to be part of the team spirit, but they definitely made you feel obligated to. It just depended on my mood, if i was hyper fuck yeah id sing along.
Yeah, being forced would not be good. That would no doubt have a negative effect.

I probably should stop being passive aggressive about it and just say I don't want to, instead of being sneaky about it, but whatever.

Alx

Sadly this is because some top-managers believe that it motivates employees and raises team spirit.
And while it sure has some effects on some people, I surely has the opposite effect on others.
A good manager would know that this isnt what makes you win a war, and that there are other, much better ways to motivate and support teamwork.

The reasoning isn't bad. Rituals help a lot for group cohesion, and singing can be an effective tool in those (since it can carry emotion, and anything rhythmic is easily shared). That's why all armies have their war songs and marching steps. See also in older cultures people singing together while doing work like doing laundry, cooking, cutting wood, sailing,...
Of course you need GOOD rituals for it to look cool.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Everyone agrees it has great intentions, very similar to having the entire food crew sing happy birthday to you at a restaurant.

Top Bottom