• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does your state allow Concealed Carry? If so what do you carry?

SpartanN92

Banned
In light of the recent mass shootings in Dayton and El Paso I am further reminded of the importance of being capable of self defense at all times. I have had my CCDW (Concealed Carry of a Deadly Weapon) permit for nearly 5 years, however I haven’t always carried. That is changing immediately.
The point of this thread isn’t to sow fear but to share information/discussion to interested parties on how to obtain your concealed carry permit if your state allows it and or requires a permit, to share preferred firearms and holsters, as well as general discussion on gun rights in your state.

If you want share your states info and what firearms you prefer to carry that would be helpful. Remember that some people here may be new to firearms/gun safety so let’s be understanding and not shame anyone for not knowing certain terms, rules etc

I live in Kentucky and the Kentucky State Senate Bill 150, which was signed into law on March 11 and took effect June 27, eliminated the requirement of a permit. There is no longer a required training, nor a fee involved.
I have two handguns that I use for concealment. I have a smaller Walther PPK/S .380 (bottom), and a larger Walther P99 9mm (top)
VyBQAp8.jpg

I like the PPK because it is easier to conceal and has a manual safety but P99 is in my opinion more reliable.

ZinfLor.png

I only carry my standard issue guns as issued by the Lord God himself.

None of us knows when our time comes and no matter ho hard we try and stop it, death is coming. I'd like to think that if I conceal carried that I and those around me would be safer but the reality is that when violence strikes it usually does so by surprise and I statistically am more likely to shoot someone I love than an actual attacker.

Ironically I also support the 2A and would purchase a firearm if I truly felt it was necessary for my survival. It's just not quite that time for me yet.

But.... .380 and 9mm rounds have the same diameter. You might have luck with a thinner gun, but there's no need to go from 9mm to .380 to get there. Look at the LC9s for a good comparison, I don't know off hand how thick the CM9 is but from that photo I think the LC9s is thinner, or at least has a better profile.

SpartanN92

Banned
Tennessee requires fees and an 8 hour course with written exam and an easy firing test. After being fingerprinted and enduring visits to the DMV it's not so bad.

I carry a Kahr CM9. I'm tempted to go down to a .380 just for the slimmer profile
maxresdefault.jpg

Kentucky used to have nearly identical requirements until this year. We had a 6-8 hour course, a $60 fee, + $25 sheriffs office fee, and the test was ridiculously easy. You had to put 14/20 on the paper at 7 yards :p

$20 for five years, no training requirement, shall-issue and generally done on the spot with a plastic photo ID here. I'd rather have Constitutional Carry (nation-wide) but this is as close as it gets to that.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Guns are prohibited at my workplace. If I'm not at home or at work, then I'm at a bar which is a place I don't want to carry in.

eNT1TY

CT allows concealed carry after a mandatory handling and safety class and appropriate application fees and federal background check fees are paid. Usually an 8 week process after submitting application provided all other requirements are met, at least that is how it was 5 years ago. Sig Sauer p320 Subcompact here (10 round magazine for state compliance), perfect size for pocket carry.

cr0w

Old Member
In Texas, so both concealed and open carry are legal here. I don't own a gun, and I doubt I ever will. I hate the things, and have no interest in owning/using one. I'm not against them by any means, of course, but I personally just can't be around them. Little bit of trauma from an incident I witnessed when I was a wee tyke.

Eyeron

Licensed for CC here in WA. Usually carry a Walther PPS in the summer, though I might switch to my newer Glock 43X due to higher capacity. During the colder months, I go full fedora with my Galco shoulder rig and a full size 9mm or .45.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Technically all states allow concealed carry. How hard they make it varies.

I carry an FN 509 Tactical, and I'm considering the FNX-45 Tactical for once my new suppressor (Octane 45) gets out of NFA jail

kV00MFr.jpg
Why do you have a scope on it? Looks cool though. Wait you have a suppressor too? Are you a hitman?

highrider

Banned
I don’t carry, I think it would have an adverse psychological effect on me. I just avoid gatherings and stay aware of my surroundings as well as I can. At home I have Gen 4 Glock 19 and a Steyr M-9. I still practice with pistols.

IMO the Steyr is the best pistol I’ve ever handled. Glock is probably my most trusted in a pinch and I’m a believer in being kind of dispassionate about weapons you really use. But the Steyr designs man...

Xk4fXKd.jpg

Last edited:

Falcs

Banned
I find it so strange that people just casually walk around willy-nilly carrying a lethal weapon on them like it's no big deal.

Sincerely,
An Australian.

Last edited:

TheZink

I carry a Glock 42 every day. I plan on buying a 43x very soon.

Because of circumstances in the past dealing with bad neighbors(heroin addicts) and a separate sexual assault on my wife in years past I am always armed. People are too crazy now days.

772QLzm.jpg

Last edited:

desertdroog

Heads up, we have a Gun Topic:

daveonezero

Banned
I find it so strange that people just casually walk around willy-nilly carrying a lethal weapon on them like it's no big deal.

Sincerely,
An Australian.
Thats exactly what you don't do. If you had a flashlight that could punch a hole through your leg and kill you if it accidentally turned on you wouldn't carry it willy nilly either.

Hell if it were allowed I'd rather people were allowed to carry other weapons but knives, nunchucks, brass knuckles and less lethal options have been outlawed. Conceal carrying a gun is what has been forced. by law.

TheZink

Sincerely,
An Australian.
Don’t take this the wrong way but it’s not just willy-nilly. Legally to carry a firearm on your person in my state, you have to take a training course, pass a background check and have your fingerprints and photo taken and put into a database the government has full access to.

All these shootings are normally done by people who can purchase guns but can’t legally carry them on their person.

They are breaking the law. I don’t think any mass shooting has ever been done by a legally carried firearm by a person who has a CCW license(Concealed Carry Permit).

I take it very serious that I have a weapon on my person. For the first month I carried I didn’t even have the gun loaded because I was so nervous. Now that I have for a while and I train with my weapon I am more comfortable with it than without it. I know I can protect my family and myself. It’s not about attacking. It’s about safety.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

$20 for five years, no training requirement, shall-issue and generally done on the spot with a plastic photo ID here. I'd rather have Constitutional Carry (nation-wide) but this is as close as it gets to that.
What state?

Mine expired and I dont feel like sitting through a 3 hour refresher course. I get why they do it, but they want you to bring like 150 rounds of ammo and sit in a class for 3 hours ughhhhhhhhhhhhh

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Nah, no need. I don't even lock my front door and my backdoor is pretty much open at all times. Come in my house and see what happens :)

Never understood the point of concealed carry. If I was packing heat for self defense I would want people to know. That way it is less likely for people to engage me or others in the area in the first place

Falcs

Banned
I take it very serious that I have a weapon on my person. For the first month I carried I didn’t even have the gun loaded because I was so nervous. Now that I have for a while and I train with my weapon I am more comfortable with it than without it. I know I can protect my family and myself. It’s not about attacking. It’s about safety.

The fact that you feel the need to have to carry a lethal weapon around in order to feel safe is just so alien to me.
I would feel uncomfortable living somewhere where at any time there could be a shooting of some sort because of some nut job, or because of an argument, or an armed robbery. I know it's not an everyday occurrence but the possibility is still there.
That sort of danger never even crosses my mind where I live.

It's one of the reasons why I wouldn't live in the US. But damn do I love coming to visit for holidays.

TheZink

The fact that you feel the need to have to carry a lethal weapon around in order to feel safe is just so alien to me.
I would feel uncomfortable living somewhere where at any time there could be a shooting of some sort because of some nut job, or because of an argument, or an armed robbery. I know it's not an everyday occurrence but the possibility is still there.
That sort of danger never even crosses my mind where I live.

It's one of the reasons why I wouldn't live in the US. But damn do I love coming to visit for holidays.
Don’t get me wrong. I feel safe 99% of the time but those situations when you don’t it’s nice to have something you know you can defend yourself with.

My State does. I usually only have it with me when driving around. I am getting a CCW this month but I will have to get something different. A bit hard to conceal a Beretta 92FS.

Nah, no need. I don't even lock my front door and my backdoor is pretty much open at all times. Come in my house and see what happens :)

You may want to get your backdoor checked out.

Last edited:

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
My father in law has CC, I'm not sure what it is though as I was never really into guns, nor do I ask about it. He's also got a glass case full of shotguns, hunting rifles, handguns, etc.

Havoc2049

What's that mean?
The .45 Officer model, has roots as a military pistol Colt and other manufactures made for U.S. Military Pilots, who wanted a more compact .45. They were later made available to the public.

I should carry more, but when I do, I usually carry a .40 H&K P2000, with 12 in the magazine + 1 in the chamber.
HandK-P2000-V3-Pistol-40-Smith-and-Wesson_101005128_63856_1B6534D3C336CD30.jpg

When I want something a little more compact, I carry a Kahr Arms .40 K40 6+1 subcompact.
kahrpicZK4043.jpg

Hulk_Smash

Banned
JhN7YqP.jpg

RM 380 Micro. Got it for a steal of a deal. $250 brand new. When they debuted a few years back, they were I think closer to $600.

Nice balance, 6+1 so decent mag size, .380 has stopping power (for its size). Long trigger pull so no safety, but the profile is so slim it’s not uncomfortable and no one will ever know I have it on me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom