• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does your state allow Concealed Carry? If so what do you carry?

You do realize that those gun death statistics usually factor in suicide. Y'know, the statistics about "You will be more likely to shoot someone in your family than a home intruder."
Not just usually, they always include them. If the stats were being truly honest they'd separate Suicides, Gang Violence, and Justifiable Homicide into their own categories instead of just "Gun deaths." Non-Gang related murders are a drop in the bucket, and overall deaths are a statistical blip already once you remove suicides.

Justifiable Homicides, whether police or regular citizens in self defense, are only in the "gun deaths" statistic to pad it out.

Susurrus

Never understood the point of concealed carry. If I was packing heat for self defense I would want people to know. That way it is less likely for people to engage me or others in the area in the first place

Or more likely, you'd just be taken out first if they knew you had a weapon.

Generally in mass shooting incidents the warning IS people getting shot, so unfortunately the first folks often don't see it coming. Even if you're carrying a weapon, you're not immune to being caught off guard and being shot before anyone knows what is going on. If the shooter knows you're going to shoot back, it doesn't take a genius to figure out the first target. If you conceal, at least you have a better chance to stop.

Also, look at it this way, if you're in an area where it is known lots of people conceal carry, generally people aren't going to start shit as easily, as they don't know who is packing.

Durask

Not just usually, they always include them. If the stats were being truly honest they'd separate Suicides, Gang Violence, and Justifiable Homicide into their own categories instead of just "Gun deaths." Non-Gang related murders are a drop in the bucket, and overall deaths are a statistical blip already once you remove suicides.

Justifiable Homicides, whether police or regular citizens in self defense, are only in the "gun deaths" statistic to pad it out.

Here's some stats.

1*uholf3-AeZNuxmSJ-kxQ6Q.png

Durask

I don't carry since most days I either drop off or pick up the kids from school and I cannot be in possession of a firearm on school grounds.
Also, I took some self defense classes but I feel that my proficiency with a handgun is nowhere close to the point where I will be able to effectively use it on a moment's notice.

Incredible! Man with Concealed Carry prevents El Paso copycat in Missouri.
I doubt the MSM will spend much time on this.

It's looking more like it was just a dude open carrying, but they're trying to throw the book at him because FEEELS

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Americans have had the right to carry guns for a long time now.

It smells very very fishy to me, that it is suddenly a massive problem. What exactly happened that made mass shootings so prevalent all of a sudden? It's unfortunate, but also a little bit strange.

Last edited:

dionysus

Yaldog

It smells very very fishy to me, that it is suddenly a massive problem. What exactly happened that made mass shootings so prevalent all of a sudden? It's unfortunate, but also a little bit strange.

24 hr news cycle spreading infamy, started in 1980 with the start of CNN. More recently, social media making infamy even more omnipresent.

The breakdown of the American family, the rejection of God, society going beyond acceptance and straight to veneration of degeneracy

Glip_Glop

Yes, I have my CCW, but I don’t carry in public. I do keep a 1969 Colt Python in the glovebox, but only when I feel particularly Rick Grimey that day :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Top Bottom