• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog Age - Official Man's Best Friend Thread

ollin

Depends on what you can afford as well. I was feeding my dog Blue Buffalo Wilderness last year until it got way too expensive so I went with just the regular Blue Buffalo brand. The only difference was my husky was shedding for 5 months straight. :(

dogfoodadvisor.com has a good list. I've found that a lot of 5 star foods, like Blue Buffalo, can sometimes be too rich for some dogs. It's a trial-and-error process.

teruterubozu said:
dogfoodadvisor.com has a good list. I've found that a lot of 5 star foods, like Blue Buffalo, can sometimes be too rich for some dogs. It's a trial-and-error process.

Yeah, had my dog on Orijen for a long time and his poop would be jello like for the most part. I switched to Innova Chicken and Turkey last year, and its been rock solid ever since.

bluemax

Banned
Epic Tales of Penis said:
Does anyone here own a Basenji?

I've always loved those dogs.

basenji-0024.jpg

basenji.jpg

There's a Basenji mix at the dog park I go to who is a totally awesome dog. She's this really cool color of Orange.

Super, high energy dog though.

RSLYG said:
My mutt Bobo (RIP) , nickname "Handsome"

9b94zq.jpg

Hahaha your dog was awesome, really beautiful. By any chance do you know what kind of mix he is?

D0f67.png

Can anyone help identify the breed of this dog?
I'm looking for dogs that are orange and have this type of face, they are so cute. Thanks.

belvedere

Junior Butler
HappyPuppy said:
I'm looking for dogs that are orange and have this type of face, they are so cute. Thanks.

The dog in that pic may be a mix, but it reminds me of a Shiba Inu.

3303226689_b394c98f64.jpg

Tadale

I didn't know we had this thread.

My wife and I have a miniature dachshund pup named Gordon, who we are working on training, and a pembroke welsh corgi named Sydney, who is a beacon of canine perfection.

fBouq.jpg

Took this picture in our backyard a couple weeks ago.

Tadale

joelseph said:
Congrats on the best breed ever! Dachshunds for life. <3

He's been tougher to train than the Corgi was, very stubborn. He also had severe separation anxiety when we first got him, but I think he's gotten much better.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
HappyPuppy said:
I'm looking for dogs that are orange and have this type of face, they are so cute.

This is my dog Sasha. She's half shiba inu and half blue heeler. Oh, and it was Halloween, she was a lady bug that year.

21l4qrt.jpg

ollin said:
Depends on what you can afford as well. I was feeding my dog Blue Buffalo Wilderness last year until it got way too expensive so I went with just the regular Blue Buffalo brand. The only difference was my husky was shedding for 5 months straight. :(

My dog is also on Blue Buffalo and he seems to be doing pretty well on it. I wonder how it ranks amongst veterinarians and stuff? When he was on Hill's Science Diet he kept getting sick and sometimes wouldn't eat it (and it also always smelled bad too).

Thanks for the reply bluemax and I totally agree on their energy level.

Keep the pics coming guys and gals. Cute dogs and you guys look like awesome owners.

Love this topic.

Gouty said:
This is my dog Sasha. She's half shiba inu and half blue heeler. Oh, and it was Halloween, she was a lady bug that year.

Hahaha what a cute little dog. The dog I'm trying to find has his ears to the sides, just like Bobo.

joelseph

Tadale said:
He's been tougher to train than the Corgi was, very stubborn. He also had severe separation anxiety when we first got him, but I think he's gotten much better.

Oh yes! I have always read that male dachshunds are the worst to train, and you know what, it's mostly true! Socialize Socialize socialize! And everyone in the house most establish dominance over him. Good luck!

TheBear

Pickles the Firecat said:
It gets old, though. Really old. Especially the people that seriously ask if you have a fox on a leash.

A lot of people ask if my Shiba is a dingo. They shit bricks when I say yes :p

I'm actually in the middle of buying a house just so I can keep him. Being a dog owner has been an interesting experience :) Took some more pics the other day:

308949_10150924169405301_905000300_21269928_716828771_n.jpg

298077_10150924169065301_905000300_21269925_1187501144_n.jpg

294767_10150775208745301_905000300_20068641_1595683_n.jpg

I <3 my Shiba

Vizslas 4 ever. Good to see some Weim discussion going on, the grey cousin of the Vizsla of course.

So glad to see a Vizsla owner on the last page. Yes they are incredibly smart. Too damn smart for their own good sometimes. Mine died half a year ago, but still an incredible dog. I have so many great memories with her. Stubborn as an ass too.

RSLYG

HappyPuppy said:
Hahaha your dog was awesome, really beautiful. By any chance do you know what kind of mix he is?
I believe he got some Kintamani (spitz type) mix in him. His mom is dark brown with some black camo stripe and short tail.

Kintamani dog
kintamanidog.jpg

Enron

Banned
Tadale said:

Dachsies are stubborn as fuck. Good luck.

Alucrid

Banned
kevo_huevo said:
Taken with my new phone/camera -

At the farmer's market:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-SW8YlODNSzA/Tp2xu8OlCBI/AAAAAAAAAC4/fP1p0HSNQ8w/s320/photo.JPG[IMG]
not sure why it sized it this way though.[/QUOTE]

Your dog is stylin'.

polg

it's nice to see corgis in this thread!

Here's a recent one from my puppy Professor Layton:
416303724.jpg

and her being all princessy on my bed
AcL-GMUCAAA_Lgz.jpg

also, she likes sleeping on the sofa like this
Abn_5-uCAAABlrg.jpg

rocksteady1983 said:
Layla in her Lady Bug costume.
pug

THat's awesome. I've had two pugs... Rebel and Sugar, great little dogs. If only they knew how expressive they were.

And here's another pic of Dunk the Lunk... Who helped clean up the yard after the October snowstorm we had last weekend

N1oCLl.jpg

HEY CORGI OWNERES!!!! How do you keep your Corgi thin?

My is fat, but I dont over feed her, and I take her for walks every day! No clue what else to do!

Yesterday I had to take my dog to the vet because he got in a fight for a female and won.....

1 leg got an infection and also he sprained his ankle....

I had to pick him up today and see how is it going.

wish me luck!!!

Yeah good luck man. No matter what reason, it's never fun to have to take your dog to the vet.

Shikko just got over a two week period of Kennel cough. The cough itself wasn't that bad, but it sucked a damn lot that we couldn't play or sniff with other dogs for 14 days. Could defintely see that Shikko was used to play with large groups of dogs everyday.

Anyway some pics I couldn't post a few weeks ago because I was banned. Just some photos from our daily afternoon walk.

shikkofall1.jpg

shikkofall2.jpg

shikkofall3.jpg

shikkofall4.jpg

shikkofall5.jpg

Az987

all good things
Lactose_Intolerant said:
That's one big boned husky

It looks more like a Malamute. The person who uploaded the video doesn't know what they are talking about, Alaskan Malamutes and Siberian Huskies are 2 different breeds.

:lol You don't just get one a dog and if it reaches a certain weight go "Whelp hes a Malamute now."

Tenks

Az987 said:
It looks more like a Malamute. The person who uploaded the video doesn't know what they are talking about, Alaskan Malamutes and Siberian Huskies are 2 different breeds.

:lol You don't just get one a dog and if it reaches a certain weight go "Whelp hes a Malamute now."

You'd be suprised what some owners of their own dogs don't know. Someone once told me the only difference between a Pembroke and Cardigan Corgi is the Pem's tail is docked. They weren't buying my explanation about difference of origin and ancestory.

Mumei

Enron said:
Dachsies are stubborn as fuck. Good luck.

And terrible liars.

My dachshund will be fed a meal, and then as soon as another person comes in the house, will start whining pitifully at the pantry door until they ask if she's been fed, which she almost invariably has. And she'll come upstairs to get you, and run downstairs when you ask her if she wants to go potty... and then refuse to go outside and sit by the pantry door because she really just wanted a treat.

So manipulative.

Az987

all good things
Tenks said:
You'd be suprised what some owners of their own dogs don't know. Someone once told me the only difference between a Pembroke and Cardigan Corgi is the Pem's tail is docked. They weren't buying my explanation about difference of origin and ancestory.

Tell me about it. I'd be willing to bet whoever sold the uploader the dog told them that.

My cousin got a bulldog a long time ago and I said "Oh cool you got an Olde English Bulldogge" and he argued with me the entire night that it was an English Bulldog because the lady told him that.

I said "dude look it up they look nothing alike" and he continued to argue with me without looking it up and then a few months later he told me "yea I don't know what that lady was talking about, he's definitely an olde english"

I bought a dog encyclopedia when I was 12 and practically memorized it :lol

Tenks

I'm not saying everyone needs to be a walking AKC encyclopedia that owns a dog but if you're going to do enough research (presumably) to buy a pure bred dog you'd think you'd know enough about the breed to not take the breeder's word at face value.

Then again Bulldogs and Husky-esque breeds are fairly popular dogs so you get a bunch of shady breeders who view their dogs as money printing factories

polg

HammerOfThor said:
HEY CORGI OWNERES!!!! How do you keep your Corgi thin?

My is fat, but I dont over feed her, and I take her for walks every day! No clue what else to do!

Mine runs around with dogs most of the day (aka goes to doggy daycare). It's expensive, but keeps her fit and stimulated. During the weekends, we take her for walks.

themadhatter444

Neo Member
Just chiming in quickly to say that I've had my Dachshund/Beagle mix (assumed) on a no corn, no wheat, no soy diet for the six months that I've had him and his coat is amazing. I mix in a bit of olive oil with his food every night too. 90% of people that meet him for the first time make an unsolicited comment about his coat.

If anyone is debating on whether or not to switch pet foods to something similar, definitely do it.

nzhbp5.jpg

So, My dog is in home and he will be with bandages like 10 days and I have to cleand it everyday and be careful that he doesn´t take the bandages off...

He´s a little scared now and just wants to sleep...

he just needs to rest now.... :3

Shikko turning 1 year today! Made this image as I've bee organizing all the pictures we've taken of him.

shikko1year.png

The time sure went fast. I can hardly recall how it was during the first 2 months, my memory around that time seems rather blurry. I guess it was because how hectic everything was :) Next to meeting my girlfriend, getting a dog has been the best thing to happen to me in my adult life. Sure it's a lot of work, but holy crap does it payoff!! I just hope the next years wont go as fast as this first one.

Well heres my Akita Oscar again, he is 6 months old now and weighs in at 38.1kg. I think he will be 50kg+ as an adult which is a fairly decent size (His mum was around 40, dad around 45). I cant remember if I have posted these ones before but oh well, he is awesome. He is about 5-5 1/2 months old here. I havent put more recent ones on my pc yet.

IMAG0365.jpg

IMAG0362.jpg

IMAG0361.jpg

IMAG0352.jpg

IMAG0351.jpg

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Metroid Killer said:
Shikko turning 1 year today! Made this image as I've bee organizing all the pictures we've taken of him.
I didn't get my dog until she was already a year old; I'm sure that it's a different experience raising them from such an early age. Anyway, a few more pictures:

Untitled01.jpg

Untitled02.jpg

Rebiak

Neo Member
Spirit Eevee said:
I didn't notice any Tibetan Terrier in the topic, so here's mine. She's an almost 2 year old TT called Enya - she's part European TT and part native TT (sent to Eu from Tibet). She doesn't have as much fur as the usual TT's (which i'm glad, cause she is bathed and groomed in less than an hour), but she has an awesome personality, is totally cute and wonderful.

Me and her doing some basic RO training.

We have a 100% Lamleh line Tibetan, which seems to be a big deal according to some people.
Ours is pretty furry, which makes it a nicer looking dog in my opinion, but it's a bitch to maintain. When it comes to character, she can be pretty distant and headstrong, definitely not a lapdog.

The amount of treats she gets from random people on walks in our neighborhood is baffling. People love this furry critter.

GmzZwl.jpg

1tBwQl.jpg

0nrKpl.jpg

7PBCGl.jpg

Rebiak said:
The amount of treats she gets from random people on walks in our neighborhood is baffling. People love this furry critter.

I don't get people who carry around treats for their dog. I give my dog treats but not while walking, hiking or at the dog park. Is it a way to have your dog always at your side?

Top Bottom