• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog Is Really Sick

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last couple of days have been feeling so down.

My 4 year old dachshund has been sick since around Monday. She's vomited about once or twice every day and has been very lethargic. She has a doggy door to go outside for the bathroom but she's been urinating indoors all the time and has defecated a couple times as well. When she does walk, her tail is in between her legs but most of the time, she's just laying on the floor.

She was taken to the vet yesterday early morning and given some tests. She was also given some prescription dog food called "EN" by Purina apparently to help for stomach or gastrointestinal problems. I don't know what's wrong with her yet since I have to wait for the test results which could be today or early next week.

I'm really worried because she's never been sick like this. It's been almost a week and she's very active and rowdy, always barking and pulling on socks and the like. It's also causing some internal personal issues where I live. I'm heartbroken right now. It's depressing and the days feel so dark right now. I'm hoping to hear from the vet today so we can get an idea what's wrong with her. I'm crossing my fingers it's nothing serious and something that will pass, like a stomach flu or whatnot.

I hate this feeling.

Aw man. I have a doxie too, feels.

How old is she? Have you switched her food recently?

Good luck Darkma. Hope she feels better soon.

Aw man. I have a doxie too, feels.

How old is she? Have you switched her food recently?

Good luck Darkma. Hope she feels better soon.
She's less than 4 1/2 years old. About the only switch in her food was minor. She used to eat original Beneful and then she ate the Incredibites one and since they were out, she was given the original again. She's used to eating a lot of stuff.

What I *think* the problem could be is that my ignorant dad gave her half a double fudge cupcake around the time she got sick. I've told him countless times about the danger of chocolate with dogs. The vet was informed about this but she says it could be that but maybe something else. Would it make her sick for that long, though? Anyways, I'm pretty angry about the chocolate thing since I've told him numerous times about it, and as usual, doesn't listen.

I know how you feel man

my dog got a virus really bad when he was a puppy, had to force feed him and give him this really nasty liquid shit that he would always throw up, we had to quarantine him and keep him away from his own excrement which was particularly difficult, worst few weeks of my life, but I stayed with him every step of the way and he got better. So just hang in there man, stay positive and do everything you can to help the little girl out

Trick_GSF

Banned
Just to possibly supply some reassurance, my dog, Fred, has had similar issues before. Not eating, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, etc and so forth. Often times lasting days.

He is currently on my bed snoring after a day of chasing pigeons.

Hopefully, your dog just has a chill on her tummy. Maybe ate something iffy, and will be fine. Keep your eye on her. and if there is not improvement or she worsens, return to a vet immediately. At 4 years old, it would hopefully be something that could be treated, and might be something very minor, if anything at all. The tests will tell, I guess.

She's less than 4 1/2 years old. About the only switch in her food was minor. She used to eat original Beneful and then she ate the Incredibites one and since they were out, she was given the original again. She's used to eating a lot of stuff.

What I *think* the problem could be is that my ignorant dad gave her half a double fudge cupcake around the time she got sick. I've told him countless times about the danger of chocolate with dogs. The vet was informed about this but she says it could be that but maybe something else. Would it make her sick for that long, though? Anyways, I'm pretty angry about the chocolate thing since I've told him numerous times about it, and as usual, doesn't listen.

Hmm, yeah, I could have been the cupcake, but if it was, there likely wasn't enough chocolate in the cupcake to kill her. So that's good news!

I once had someone dump a puppy in my front yard; I found it a home. However, he got really, really sick. Vomiting and loose stool and everything. I was terrified it was parvo, but I couldn't find any blood. He was SO sick too, not moving, not drinking or eating.

Two days later he was fine. He'd just eaten something that didn't agree with him. Dogs have surprisingly delicate tummies for animals lol.

kidko

Any chance she ate something sharp, like a cooked bone or something? Our pit at a cooked lamb bone once and was acting in a similar way for about a week until the shards finally all passed. It was heart wrenching but he was ok after a while finally.

Hmm, yeah, I could have been the cupcake, but if it was, there likely wasn't enough chocolate in the cupcake to kill her. So that's good news!

I once had someone dump a puppy in my front yard; I found it a home. However, he got really, really sick. Vomiting and loose stool and everything. I was terrified it was parvo, but I couldn't find any blood. He was SO sick too, not moving, not drinking or eating.

Two days later he was fine. He'd just eaten something that didn't agree with him. Dogs have surprisingly delicate tummies for animals lol.
The cupcakes are big.... about twice the size of a normal cupcake so half of what she was given might have almost equaled a full regular-sized one.

But yeah, I hope you're all right and it's just something bad she ate. She once gobbled up two chewable aspirins (81mg each) and was sick for a day and a half. This is going on almost a week. I'm used to her barking and running around like a puppy and it breaks my heart just seeing her lie on the floor like that.

Any chance she ate something sharp, like a cooked bone or something? Our pit at a cooked lamb bone once and was acting in a similar way for about a week until the shards finally all passed. It was heart wrenching but he was ok after a while finally.
It's possible since she's eaten cooked chicken. I heard you're supposed to give a dog uncooked or boiled chicken.

big_z

I had a german short haired pointer that once ate a slice of chocolate cake in the middle of winter. she went outside and laid down in the snow and wouldn't move. I had to pick her up and bring her back inside or she would have died. took a couple of days for her to get over the chocolate completely.

if you dog has been sick since Monday im not sure if it's the chocolate. seems a bit longer than usual. if the feces aren't bloody that's a good thing but stay on top of the vet to get those tests back.

It's possible since she's eaten cooked chicken. I heard you're supposed to give a dog uncooked or boiled chicken.

you don't give them cooked chicken because of the bones getting hard. boneless is fine. if the chicken is pressure cooked like in some dog food the bones are fine because they are soft.

The cupcakes are big.... about twice the size of a normal cupcake so half of what she was given might have almost equaled a full regular-sized one.

But yeah, I hope you're all right and it's just something bad she ate. She once gobbled up two chewable aspirins (81mg each) and was sick for a day and a half. This is going on almost a week. I'm used to her barking and running around like a puppy and it breaks my heart just seeing her lie on the floor like that.

Here's a handy guide, and this is PURE chocolate, not put in something else like cupcake.
White chocolate: 200 ounces per pound of body weight. It takes 250 pounds of white chocolate to cause signs of poisoning in a 20-pound dog, 125 pounds for a 10-pound dog.

Milk chocolate: 1 ounce per pound of body weight. Approximately one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to a 20-pound dog; one-half pound for a 10-pound dog. The average chocolate bar contains 2 to 3 ounces of milk chocolate. It would take 2-3 candy bars to poison a 10 pound dog. Semi-sweet chocolate has a similar toxic level.

Sweet cocoa: 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight. One-third of a pound of sweet cocoa is toxic to a 20-pound dog; 1/6 pound for a 10-pound dog.

Baking chocolate: 0.1 ounce per pound body weight. Two one-ounce squares of bakers' chocolate is toxic to a 20-pound dog; one ounce for a 10-pound dog.

TheContact

Sounds like your dog caught a really bad bug. It can happen, just not that common. As long as your dog is drinking water it's a good sign. I can't imagine the dog is very happy which is why it's so lethargic right now. Make sure to keep a nice bowl of room temperature water near your dog

Did the vet recommend any kind of antibiotics?

Chocolate can do a real number on dogs. Though my lab ate an entire tray of brownies once, without reacting to it at all.

Hopefully it's just a bug your dog got and it will pass in a few days.

Sounds like your dog caught a really bad bug. It can happen, just not that common. As long as your dog is drinking water it's a good sign. I can't imagine the dog is very happy which is why it's so lethargic right now. Make sure to keep a nice bowl of room temperature water near your dog

Did the vet recommend any kind of antibiotics?
She gave the dog a shot or two, one for vomiting I think. They're also running blood tests and whatnot and waiting to her back from them.

I should mention that she is eating. She ate the prescription dog food right up and then we gave her another small serving and she ate that right up too. She's also drinking water although the vet told us to limit her water intake.

Update: Blood/urine work came back and shows everything is okay. However, my dog started having diarrhea with significant traces of blood. Took her to the vets again. The doctor prescribed her some Metronidazole (125mg capsules) and Fortiflora, which comes in packets and is sprinkled on her food. She was also given more prescription dog food. Since my dog hasn't vomited, the doctor believes she may be getting rid of whatever bug or inflammation or whatever she has through defecating.

All I can say is I am still very worried. She's still very quiet and very lethargic. The vet visit was yesterday and so far she hasn't pooped or pee'd much since then.

I'm hoping this works and she starts feeling better. It's been about a week from today since she's been sick like this.

Update: Blood/urine work came back and shows everything is okay. However, my dog started having diarrhea with significant traces of blood. Took her to the vets again. The doctor prescribed her some Metronidazole (125mg capsules) and Fortiflora, which comes in packets and is sprinkled on her food. She was also given more prescription dog food. Since my dog hasn't vomited, the doctor believes she may be getting rid of whatever bug or inflammation or whatever she has through defecating.

All I can say is I am still very worried. She's still very quiet and very lethargic. The vet visit was yesterday and so far she hasn't pooped or pee'd much since then.

I'm hoping this works and she starts feeling better. It's been about a week from today since she's been sick like this.

Did they do x-rays by chance?

Sounds like she just had to get something through her system. Hopefully given a bit of time she'll rebound completely. My puppy went through a full night of vomiting and the trots, but she worked through a huge wad of grass and bugs and she's been fine since. good luck :(

joelseph

1. Is your doxie doing the "downward dog" yoga pose constantly? If yes it might be bloat which is common among barrel chested dogs. Elevate the feeding bowl off the ground relative to the dogs size.

2. Have a stern talk with your father.

3. Make sure the dog has lots of water and try and stay with it during the day for comfort. It's a dachshund so lay around all day and let it curl up in between your legs under a bunch of blankets. Hoping she bounces back soon good as new.

From one dachshund owner to another, hang in there buddy.

Kay, yeah, the blood and the not pooping part made me a bit worried about that. I would say if she's not having bowel movements tomorrow, call the vet and ask if you should bring her back in.
No, what I meant was she was having diarrhea and since the meds, she seems to be pooping less which I hope is a good thing. There was a small one a few hours after coming home from the vet but it wasn't that bloody so I hope that's a good sign. The meds that were prescribed help with digestion and inflammation.

1. Is your doxie doing the "downward dog" yoga pose constantly? If yes it might be bloat which is common among barrel chested dogs. Elevate the feeding bowl off the ground relative to the dogs size.

2. Have a stern talk with your father.

3. Make sure the dog has lots of water and try and stay with it during the day for comfort. It's a dachshund so lay around all day and let it curl up in between your legs under a bunch of blankets. Hoping she bounces back soon good as new.

From one dachshund owner to another, hang in there buddy.
Not sure what you mean by yoga pose, but I don't think she does. Already drilled it with #2. As for lots of water, two different vets have already told us to limit her water because of the urinating. Of course, she's getting water but she's actually been getting too much of it.

I should mention again that her blood/urine test came back 100% meaning no signs of liver, kidney, diabetes, etc. so it's none of those things. Right now, it's more than likely something she ate although there's doubts that it was the chocolate that caused this as the vet says the nature and amount of chocolate she was given shouldn't hurt a dog like this, especially her weight. More than likely, it's something else.

No, what I meant was she was having diarrhea and since the meds, she seems to be pooping less which I hope is a good thing. There was a small one a few hours after coming home from the vet but it wasn't that bloody so I hope that's a good sign.

OH oh, that's really good then yeah. Sorry, I misread :p Sounds like she's on the mend, yay!

joelseph

Not sure what you mean by yoga pose, but I don't think she does.

funny-french-bull-dog-yoga-downward-facing-dog-540x526.jpg

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I know nothing about dog health and have no advice, but I am wishing your doggie all the best Dark.

joelseph

Raising my dachshunds food bowl off the ground has been great for his overall good health, in my mind. I would recommend it either way. I have his bowl an inch and a half off the ground now. He eats slower, has less bowel movements, has more predictable bowel timings and has rock solid dry turds. No idea if any of that is related to raising the bowl but I am not complaining.

pj

Banned

While it is probably not directly related to your dog's problem, beneful is one of the worst dog foods made.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/beneful-dog-food-dry/

I'm not one of those people who think it's animal abuse to feed anything other than a fresh raw diet, but beneful is one of the brands that many consider to be actively bad for dogs. There are much better foods that will cost little if any more than what you currently pay.

Raising my dachshunds food bowl off the ground has been great for his overall good health, in my mind. I would recommend it either way. I have his bowl an inch and a half off the ground now. He eats slower, has less bowel movements, has more predictable bowel timings and has rock solid dry turds. No idea if any of that is related to raising the bowl but I am not complaining.
Done.

For right now, placed a phone book under her plate so it's raised about an inch or so from the ground.

While it is probably not directly related to your dog's problem, beneful is one of the worst dog foods made.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/beneful-dog-food-dry/

I'm not one of those people who think it's animal abuse to feed anything other than a fresh raw diet, but beneful is one of the brands that many consider to be actively bad for dogs. There are much better foods that will cost little if any more than what you currently pay.
Didn't know this. What dry dog food would you recommend that wouldn't be too expensive? There's a serious tight budget here so can't afford specialty dog foods (tried some special dachshund food once but it costs too much).

Celegus

Not to be a downer, but I've never heard a single good thing about feeding a dog Beneful (I've been researching like crazy before I got my first dog about a month ago), other than the fact that it's ridiculously cheap. I just did a quick google search and found some similar stories to your own.

Obviously it could be any number of things, but as a fellow dog lover, I would think about switching to a higher quality food without so much filler. A better diet does prevent a lot of costly vet bills later on (or so I've been told countless times). Amazon has a pretty decent selection with free shipping, and a lot more affordable than the pet store.

In any case, I really hope your dog recovers quickly! I've only had mine for a month and I know I'd be an absolute wreck if he was in this shape (5 year old Maltese).

Edit: Looks like someone else also brought that up while I was typing.
Didn't know this. What dry dog food would you recommend that wouldn't be too expensive? There's a serious tight budget here so can't afford specialty dog foods (tried some special dachshund food once but it costs too much).

Something like this, while not the most amazing ever, is still leagues better than Beneful, and pretty affordable for as much as you get.

joelseph

I feed mine Hills Prescription Diet z/d Ultra. I only do this because he is allergic to glutten and needs a hydrolyzed wheat diet. It costs more and requires a prescription.

Hills offers non prescription pet food but it is more expensive than Beneful.

Good luck with the diet, there is no real good answer for cheap. Making your own food is great but it costs money. I used to feed mine rice and hotdogs before his allergies.

For dog food, I just always make sure the first ingredient in the food isn't corn or rice. It needs to be a meat product. Since I am on a budget, that works for me and my dogs.

Something like this, while not the most amazing ever, is still leagues better than Beneful, and pretty affordable for as much as you get.
Agreed it's affordable for what you get, but still beyond a price range. If there were a smaller amount of this sold locally, it more than likely would be an option.

Would definitely be more than willing to switch dog food brands after hearing about Beneful but it just has to be within a price range for more.... "poor" people.

I feed mine Hills Prescription Diet z/d Ultra. I only do this because he is allergic to glutten and needs a hydrolyzed wheat diet. It costs more and requires a prescription.

Hills offers non prescription pet food but it is more expensive than Beneful.

Good luck with the diet, there is no real good answer for cheap. Making your own food is great but it costs money. I used to feed mine rice and hotdogs before his allergies.
Yeah right now we have her on prescription dog food from the vets.

BTW, just noticed your dachshund in your photo. Looks like mine. She's a dapple - black and white with brown nose and a little bit of white around the neck.

pj

Banned

A good starting place would be to see whats available at local pet stores and then check the ratings on dogfoodadvisor. It's not the last word in ratings, but it can give you a good idea of what to avoid.

If you can find them locally, I would recommend Dr. Tims or Annamaet. You can get them online, but the shipping will add to the expense.

Dr. Tim's is a respected company started by a veterinarian and the 30 lb bag is only a couple bucks more than beneful (I don't know how much it costs in stores)

annamaet is also a good company run by a phd in animal nutrition who also trains and runs sled dogs. I am in the process of switching my dog to annamaet from a more expensive brand.

Those two companies are small enough that if you call to ask a question, you'll likely talk to the owner to get a response.

The Kirkland brand from costco is also supposed to be pretty good for the money.

Celegus

Agreed it's affordable for what you get, but still beyond a price range. If there were a smaller amount of this sold locally, it more than likely would be an option.

Would definitely be more than willing to switch dog food brands after hearing about Beneful but it just has to be within a price range for more.... "poor" people.

How much is Beneful at the store for how many pounds? I mean, a 40lb bag of food that costs less than a vet visit should last a dachsund at least a few months. Hopefully you can find something that works for your budget.

I doubt you're very interested in canned wet food right now, but for anyone else reading this, check out Trader Joe's. It is insanely cheap for being such a high quality, I doubt there's anything better.

beastworship

Neo Member
Your dad willingly fed a dog chocolate? I'm more curious about that then anything. It's impossible to say anything beyond without sounding insulting so I'll just leave it there. Hope your doggie gets better, they'll tell you if they're deathly ill though and not just feeling sick.

Your dad willingly fed a dog chocolate? I'm more curious about that then anything. It's impossible to say anything beyond without sounding insulting so I'll just leave it there. Hope your doggie gets better, they'll tell you if they're deathly ill though and not just feeling sick.
Don't feel bad. In fact, I'll say it.... He's fucking stupid. It's one thing to be ignorant and then feed her chocolate but I've told him about the dangers of this in the past and as usual, he doesn't listen to me.

How much is Beneful at the store for how many pounds? I mean, a 40lb bag of food that costs less than a vet visit should last a dachsund at least a few months. Hopefully you can find something that works for your budget.

I doubt you're very interested in canned wet food right now, but for anyone else reading this, check out Trader Joe's. It is insanely cheap for being such a high quality, I doubt there's anything better.
Also, want to try out a small bag of good dry dog food because she's picky and might not eat it. That's another reason can't spend a lot of money on a big bag since she might refuse to eat it. But, at this point due to the posts and provided links here, we're done with Beneful.

Don't feel bad. In fact, I'll say it.... He's fucking stupid. It's one thing to be ignorant and then feed her chocolate but I've told him about the dangers of this in the past and as usual, he doesn't listen to me.

Also, want to try out a small bag of good dry dog food because she's picky and might not eat it. That's another reason can't spend a lot of money on a big bag since she might refuse to eat it. But, at this point due to the posts and provided links here, we're done with Beneful.

Just be sure to switch from the vet prescribed food to the new food gradually. Her tummy is going to be super tender after she gets over this.

Just be sure to switch from the vet prescribed food to the new food gradually. Her tummy is going to be super tender after she gets over this.
Yeah, that's what the vet told me and that's what we're going to do. Actually got a few extra cans of the wet prescription dog food yesterday.

smr00

Banned
If she's not well in a few days, then that will be the next step she said.
Sounds like you need a new vet.

When my dog was showing symptoms similar to yours about 2 years ago i took him to my vet i have been using for 20 years and he did a complete checkup and wouldn't stop till he figured out what it was and he found out my dog has diabetes. No offense to your vet but from i have read i wouldn't take a dying rat i found outside to that vet.

Hopefully everything gets worked out and it's nothing major. Always sad to hear about a sick pet :(

Celegus

Ah, that's a good point. My dog pretty much blows a gasket any time he thinks he gets to eat, I've tried a couple different kinds so far but he's loved everything. Tries to eat my food and the cat's food too, but obviously I don't let him.

I just hope everything turns out for the best!

CrankyJay

Banned
Just some advice from me...I've had a dog with gastrointestinal problems. $700 vet bill could have been avoided if I just called my breeder first.

Basically if your dog is still vomiting or crapping, you'll want to go a day without feeding her to let her clear out.

Then, you need to boil some rice and brown some ground beef and feed her that for a few days to let her stomach settle. It's gentler on her stomach than dog food will be right now. Then you can start weening her off of that and gradually mixing in her food.

Best of luck.

If that doesn't work, she might have a partial blockage because she swallowed something, which an X-Ray will find.

Sounds like you need a new vet.

When my dog was showing symptoms similar to yours about 2 years ago i took him to my vet i have been using for 20 years and he did a complete checkup and wouldn't stop till he figured out what it was and he found out my dog has diabetes. No offense to your vet but from i have read i wouldn't take a dying rat i found outside to that vet.

Hopefully everything gets worked out and it's nothing major. Always sad to hear about a sick pet :(

A lot of vets are also conscious of what a person can afford to do. Some tend to take a 'lets try this first and do more expensive tests later' approach rather than burden someone with a bunch of expensive tests that they end up not really needing. Don't judge.

No offense, but I wouldn't give this to a dog who has stomach problems right now.

Chicken is pretty rough on some dog's stomachs.

If you want to get your dog right for now, I'd recommend a lamb and rice mixture.

No I mean that is what we feed him on his regular diet. But if he is having problems we usually broil some chicken and rice and feed him that when he is sick.

I'll gladly say it for you. Anybody i know fed my dog chocolate after i told them not to cause it's harmful would get a fucking ass beating. You need to slap your dad in the fucking face like a bitch for causing harm to your dog after you specifically told him that chocolate was bad for dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom