• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolby responds to Sony's PS5 3D audio claims

draliko

No you have to pay $15 to use Dolby atmos on windows PC. I tried the free trial and it wasn't worth the price so i'm using windows Sonic, decent and free,
if you get a headphone that support it the codec is free (sennheiser for example) it's just if you want the software to use it with the headphones you already got. BTW is dolby heapdhones not atmos per se, it is a hrtf subset

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
if you get a headphone that support it the codec is free (sennheiser for example) it's just if you want the software to use it with the headphones you already got. BTW is dolby heapdhones not atmos per se, it is a hrtf subset
Special equipment. You don't have to get a special audio equipment to use what Cerny talked about. And its atmos not dolby headphones. My samsung phone with measly 2 terrible speakers has dolby atmos support as well.

I'll put it in a different way. PS4 supports 3D audio but you have to buy a special audio equipment to use it in supported games. PS5 does way with that requirement, you no longer have to buy anything, just use your own headphones.

Last edited:

molly14

. “”In the event itself, Sony mentioned that the PS5 would only support 100 of the most popular PS4 games at launch

Never heard of the site but yet another site that can’t
Iisten properly ,Sony said they tested the most popular 100 PS4 games not that only the 100 most popular PS4 games would be supported.FFS how hard is it to listen to someone speak and write what they said correctly.

Can’t wait to listen to this 3D audio through a pair of headphones .,Dolby don’t like it because you need a home theatre set up to appreciate Atmos.

draliko

if you get a headphone that support it the codec is free (sennheiser for example) it's just if you want the software to use it with the
Special equipment. You don't have to get a special audio equipment to use what Cerny talked about. And its atmos not dolby headphones. My samsung phone with measly 2 terrible speakers has dolby atmos support as well.

I'll put it in a different way. PS4 supports 3D audio but you have to buy a special audio equipment to use it in supported games. PS5 does way with that requirement, you no longer have to buy anything, just use your own headphones.
Yes the same os xbox one now with sonic codec, hou

The same current Xbox does using hrtf support in a less advanced way. You guys don't understand, nobody is downplaying sony effort, we all love it as audiophile, but it's nothing revolutionary is simply a dedicated audio chip, a welcome one but just an evolution of something already available from numerous sources. It's not snake oil... But neither a philosoper stone

Tripolygon

Banned
Yes the same os xbox one now with sonic codec, hou

The same current Xbox does using hrtf support in a less advanced way. You guys don't understand, nobody is downplaying sony effort, we all love it as audiophile, but it's nothing revolutionary is simply a dedicated audio chip, a welcome one but just an evolution of something already available from numerous sources. It's not snake oil... But neither a philosoper stone

Who is this "you guys" you're talking about?

It is revolutionary for game audio. Audio has been relatively the same for games for the past 2 decades. This is transformative. PSVR has had a limited form of this but it was only limited to VR games and Sony is even taking it a step further by adding the ability to select from various HRTF profiles. The fact that you would describe years of engineering as simply a dedicated audio chip speaks for itself.

Last edited:

draliko

Who is this "you guys" you're talking about?

It is revolutionary for game audio. Audio has been relatively the same for games for the past 2 decades. This is transformative. PSVR has had this but it was only limited for VR games and Sony is even taking it a step further by adding the ability to select from various HRTF profiles. The fact that you would describe years of engineering as simply a dedicated audio chip speaks for itself.
Hahaahha have fun.... Get educated

It's licensed tech. Sony's Tempest engine will never be. There is no valid reason for Sony to have wasted R&D on their custom 3D audio engine
Are you a sales person for Dolby? This is not like that impacts the customer (I mean, devs will publish the game will convert the format to whatever the target platform supports, this is usually pretty simple).

Also, they wanted full control over the whole sound stack to provide something unheard of before (I can't wait to try it out).

Here is a proprietary format that's consequential:
960x0.jpg

mr1campbell

Neo Member
Dolby Atmos is super solid, zero doubts about that; but what Sony is doing presents an undeniable benefit to gamers. You can pick up cheap headphone and have 3D audio. They are working with your regular speaker to have the same done. You aren't required to get special equipment for it to work well.

Ps5ProFoSho

The ps5 presentation becomes more and more hilarious with each passing day. I can’t wait for the day when someone will discover the average clock speeds that the GPU&CPU are running at.
Another wild Xbox fanboy attacking by saying random unassociated crap. Everyone back away slowly and it will crawl back into its cave full of mountain dew piss bottles.

Last edited:
Dolby Atmos is super solid, zero doubts about that; but what Sony is doing presents an undeniable benefit to gamers. You can pick up cheap headphone and have 3D audio. They are working with your regular speaker to have the same done. You aren't required to get special equipment for it to work well.

I'll agree that it's a benefit to their games and userbase, but I can't help but sit here and think of any time a company attempts to sell users on VirtualX, Virtual DSP, DTS for headphones, ATMOS, Windows Sonic and now this. There's true separation and then there's simulated. Granted, most gamers won't notice the difference or claim that they can from set of cans. But you still need the set to carry and have the weight. So I don't care how in depth the object metadata is, it's still lacking. There are a few cans in the market that even can.

Now if we want to talk a dedicated viewing room or home theater, I'll be more impressed.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Really? So that $40 headset I bought in 2008 will work? And a gamer playing on his tv's integrated speakers are going to give 3D sound?

GriffinCorp

So
What happens to my Dolby Atmos setup? Will that not work with PS5? How will people who have full home cinema system’s best if it this if they ain’t using Atmos?
I really hope they will continue to support Dolby Atmos. I have a 5.2.4 system. I love UHD on the Xbox. So PS5 better have it. The sound is amazing and I wished more games would add or just support it day one. If the PS5 plays UHD then I would think it would support Dolby Atmos.

Goliathy

Banned
I'm personally happy that the XBox Series X supports Dolby Atmos. Dolby stands for the worldwide leading high quality audio technology.

Never heard something before of the 3D Tempest Engine, and I actually don't care, sorry :)

Yup. For my Dolby Vision content I already have a nice 7.1.2 system that supports Dolby atmos perfectly.
Will be interesting to see how Sony’s solution will compare.

Last edited:
It was a ps5 presentation and Sony hyped it as much cause I doubt Cerny would spend 10 minutes trying to explain to developers what an SSD does. Anyway sooner rather than later we will have a clear picture of the ps5 true average clock speeds and it will be a glorious time. Let’s just say that people should dial back the talk about a ....10 TF ps5.

No it was not. Sony did exact same thing for ps4 AFTER an actual presentation that's talks strictly about tech in exact same format as the PS5 with exact aame names "Road to PS4"

Sony also never hyped it. They told people beforehand that it was a strictly tech talk and that it was the original planned GDC presentation, but people wanna believe what they choose.

This is what an actual presentation is

Please don't say anything when you have 0 clue or knowledge of what you're talking. Thanks.

Ar¢tos

So
What happens to my Dolby Atmos setup? Will that not work with PS5? How will people who have full home cinema system’s best if it this if they ain’t using Atmos?
Giving extra options for those that don't have specific hardware, doesn't mean removing support for those that have it.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Giving extra options for those that don't have specific hardware, doesn't mean removing support for those that have it.
people are talking on here that Sony didn't want to pay the price to licence ATMOS so it sounds like they are not giving that option

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
My koss porta pro sounds so good in normal stereo mode, that I am sometimes fooled the sound is coming from my room.
Interested to hear this 3d audio solution provided ps5 will have an audio jack with a bit more power

Ar¢tos

people are talking on here that Sony didn't want to pay the price to licence ATMOS so it sounds like they are not giving that option
People also say the moon is made of cheese...
Why not wait for official confirmation of anything before starting to spread FUD?

DrAspirino

Banned
...aaand that's where you're wrong. 3D spatial audio ALWAYS require special equipment for it because of its nature. Sure, you can use your current headphones, but if they don't have a relatively flat response or don't support a wide range of frequencies, the effect is lost. Same for speakers.

Try listening the audio demos some other user posted, with the iphone earbuds, and then listening the same demo with a decent pair (I have a sennheiser hd439 pair of cans): the difference is staggering (and the price between those 2 as well). In the latter you can really begin to experience true 3D audio, while in the first you can barely notice any difference from stereo.

You see, I'm not against Sony regarding their efforts to create a new 3D audio engine (quite the contrary). What I'm against is them calling it "revolutionary" and "bringing it to the masses", when they know fully well that by the very nature of sound you can't do that with cheap headphones/speakers (as 3D audio requires the flattest possible response to actually imitate the different directions from which sound comes).

Last edited:

oldergamer

...aaand that's where you're wrong. 3D spatial audio ALWAYS require special equipment for it because of its nature. Sure, you can use your current headphones, but if they don't have a relatively flat response or don't support a wide range of frequencies, the effect is lost. Same for speakers.

Try listening the audio demos some other user posted, with the iphone earbuds, and then listening the same demo with a decent pair (I have a sennheiser hd439 pair of cans): the difference is staggering (and the price between those 2 as well). In the latter you can really begin to experience true 3D audio, while in the first you can barely notice any difference from stereo.

You see, I'm not against Sony regarding their efforts to create a new 3D audio engine (quite the contrary). What I'm against is them calling it "revolutionary" and "bringing it to the masses", when they know fully well that by the very nature of sound you can't do that with cheap headphones/speakers (as 3D audio requires the flattest possible response to actually imitate the different directions from which sound comes).
This is true, sony can;t improve the quality of your speakers/headphones. If they are crap, you are likely to get a very flat representation of what sony pushes through them. Lets be honest withourselves.

Top Bottom