• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin can now emulate every GameCube game

kulapik

https://en.dolphin-emu.org/blog/2016/09/06/booting-the-final-gc-game/?cr=es

Every single GameCube game can at least boot in Dolphin 5.0. Except one. Star Wars: The Clone Wars and its complex way of using the PowerPC Memory Management Unit rendered it unplayable in Dolphin up to this day. But finally as of Dolphin 5.0-540, this challenge has come and gone: Dolphin can finally boot every single GameCube game in the official library.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg4bZpocnWw

So what makes Star Wars: The Clone Wars so special? To truly understand what's going on, you need to have some knowledge on how the PowerPC's processor handles memory management and how Dolphin emulates it.

Tizoc

I wonder if via dolphin emulation, gc version of certain multiplat games would perform better using it

Luigiv

Awesome. My friend and I had so much fun playing conquest in multiplayer mode back in the day, glad to see we can now play it in dolphin.

Sevenfold

Amazing achievement and a shame that emulation isn't more popular. I have a GC and F-Zero GX, so what's the general moral standing on hitting up a torrent site for what I need?

Please don't ban me.

Amazing achievement and a shame that emulation isn't more popular. I have a GC and F-Zero GX, so what's the general moral standing on hitting up a torrent site for what I need?

Please don't ban me.

Still illegal, still dumb to ask.

Buy a cheap used wii, it's so easy to dump wii/gcn games these days.

LewieP

Please don't ban me.

If you have a Wii it is pretty easy to rip Gamecube discs to an iso on an SD card/USB.

Guide here.

Edit: I actually think it's possible on a Gamecube itself, but you need the network adapter (preferably the broadband one) and a way of launching homebrew. It's way easier on a Wii.

Sevenfold

Still illegal, still dumb to ask.
I'm not sure I agree about the illegal part and thanks for the insult. Your input is welcome.

If you have a Wii it is pretty easy to rip Gamecube discs to an iso on an SD card/USB.

Guide here.

Got a WiiU but no Wii. I'll have a look at the guide, cheers.

Edit: I don't have the network adapter for the GC.
I have a friend with a Wii. I think that will be best.

How are Rogue Squadron II and III running nowadays?

Surprisingly well, better than it used to, but still on the higher end of gcn due to how they abuse the GameCube's arch. So expect slow downs on moderate hardware.

I'm not sure I agree about the illegal part and thanks for the insult.

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, and you can disagree if you like, but nearly every country's law that deals with copying software state that it has to be a copy of your software, not some random person on the internet.

The last time I tried Dolphin was in 2013 so I hope performance has improved.

It has improved tremendously over the last couple of years. I could barely run it a few years ago and now I can have 4K Skyward Sword run perfectly.
Possibly the best emulator to exist.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, and you can disagree if you like, but nearly every country's law that deals with copying software state that it has to be a copy of your software, not some random person on the internet.
In some countries it at least makes no difference, in Germany for instance, breaking a(n effective) copyright is a violation of law. However, I'm not aware of any judgment of a case where someone downloaded or ripped a software he owned legally for play (and nothing else). I could imagine that this would not be such a clear-cut case.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Please don't ban me.

Don't do this here. People already have reservations about emulation as a grey moral line without you bringing blatant illegality into the conversation.

If you want to steal games for free, do it on your own

Of all the games, Clone Wars was the hardest to emulate? Heh. I've actually been meaning to pick up a copy forever too. Fun game, even if it's not exact the best Star Wars game ever.

Sevenfold

Don't do this here. People already have reservations about emulation as a grey moral line without you bringing blatant illegality into the conversation.

If you want to steal games for free, do it on your own

OK, not trying to shit up the thread, and not gonna die on this hill.
The disk is in good shape, SD card it is.

rjc571

Banned
I wonder if via dolphin emulation, gc version of certain multiplat games would perform better using it

You can overclock the emulated CPU to improve performance. Some games that ran at a varying 30-60 fps on the console can run at a locked 60 on Dolphin. Beyond Good & Evil is one game in particular that really benefits.

Congrats Dolphin! Probably the most impressive/successful emulator out there.

*EDIT* Shit, that video is bringing back memories! I loved Clone Wars! Totally forgot about it!

Par Score

Dolphin is a truly stunning technical achievement, already one of the best emulators ever created, and still with a very active and dedicated development community.

I wish all other retro systems had an emulator as good as Dolphin was a year ago, never mind the marvel it will be in a years time.

Luigiv

Can dolphin play straight from GC mini-DVDs if you have an optical drive that can take that size?

No. Very, very few PC drives can actually read GCN or Wii Discs and the chances of you coincidentally having one is close to none.

The best way to play your games is to rip them onto a USB drive using a soft modded Wii.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Bet Wario World still runs like shit :(

The title of this topic is a bit misleading. Dolphin can boot every single GameCube game. Saying that it can emulate them gives the impression that they can run well enough, which is not the case for every single game.

That being said, it's a massive achievement. Congrats to the team for making Dolphin such a beast of an emulator!

I wouldn't consider being able to boot a game emulating it. If you can't play the game, it isn't emulated.

The same goes here. The article clearly says "booting", not "emulate perfectly". Also, what "emulation" really is can be up for debate. Do you consider ZSNES a good SNES emulator because you can play games on it? Or do you need it to be as accurate as Higan for it being proper emulation? Either way, this is not what the thread is about. If you had read the article you would have known...

SgtCobra

The title of this topic is a bit misleading. Dolphin can boot every single GameCube game. Saying that it can emulate them gives the impression that they can run well enough, which is not the case for every single game.
Yeah I had to read the OP at first to understand that not every game runs flawlessly. Still, it's a very impressive feat, and expecting every GameCube game known to mankind to run perfectly accurate on Dolphin is a pipedream anyway.

Dolphin is a truly stunning technical achievement, already one of the best emulators ever created, and still with a very active and dedicated development community.

I wish all other retro systems had an emulator as good as Dolphin was a year ago, never mind the marvel it will be in a years time.

Retro systems usually have far better emulators than dolphin, though. Speaking about pre-GC systems, all the gameboys, NES, SNES, SMS, MegaDrive + addons and PS1 all work pretty much flawlessly.

bSnes, Mednafen PSX and Genesis GX Plus are ridiculously accurate.

_Ryo_

This is fucking amazing.

But now I wonder... Is Dolphin open source? Could it theoretically be ported over to some Hyperkin type retro/emulation console? Using a custom linux OS.

I'd kill for a SegaCD/PS1/Saturn/PS2/GameCube disc based console. I'd add Dreamcast as well but, well, you'd need a GD-Rom drive for that.

aravuus

Dolphin is crazy impressive. Wonder if the same folks will end up working on a WiiU emulator some day, too. XenoX in 1080p with proper AA is something I need to experience.

_Ryo_

As amazing as Dolphin is, I think PPSSPP is actually the most amazing emulator ever created. Rerendering psp games in higher resolution makes them look better than most early ps3 games imo. And it works on my ancient craptop, and on Android, unlike Dolphin, and has the best GUI of any emulator ever, plus I can use my actual psp as a controller for 1:1 HD PSP experience if I want (though who would want to use the psp as a controller lol)

But I think PPSSPP is made by the same devs as dolphin so it makes sense why its so awesome.

-shadow-

776.gif

Absolutely amazing!

P44

As amazing as Dolphin is, I think PPSSPP is actually the most amazing emulator ever created. Rerendering psp games in higher resolution makes them look better than most early ps3 games imo. And it works on my ancient craptop, and on Android, unlike Dolphin, and has the best GUI of any emulator ever, plus I can use my actual psp as a controller for 1:1 HD PSP experience if I want (though who would want to use the psp as a controller lol)

But I think PPSSPP is made by the same devs as dolphin so it makes sense why its so awesome.

It's less amazing because of user features and more because of the tech side IMO.

Card Boy

Banned

I'm currently playing Dracula X Chronicles on my Vita and then i saw emulated PPSSPP footage. Holy fuck!

MetalSlug

No. Very, very few PC drives can actually read GCN or Wii Discs and the chances of you coincidentally having one is close to none.

The best way to play your games is to rip them onto a USB drive using a soft modded Wii.

I got my old Wii all set up and did that with Resident Evil 3. I managed to load it up on Dolphin, but I couldn't get past a screen stating something about a memory card region or something.

Not tried any of my other games yet.

Top Bottom