• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

dolphin2010-02-2802-46uczv.jpg

dolphin2010-02-2803-25scak.jpg

dolphin2010-02-2802-47hfin.jpg

It's too bad Mario's eyes and the Luma are white.

asdad123

I love this emulator. New Super Mario Brothers runs and looks great on my Asus G51VX-RX05 with a P7350 and GTX260m. Theres a little slowdown here and there but most of the time it runs at 60FPS with 9xSSA and 16AF :D
I have a T9600 coming tomorrow so ill have my CPU at 2.8 instead of 2.0 so Ill try more games out then.

Some pics
14spp1i.jpg

2rqhhl3.jpg

Nabs

i'm shocked no one has found a fix for the sprites that don't animate. it always makes me laugh when coins drop and look incredible.

Nabs said:
i'm shocked no one has found a fix for the sprites that don't animate. it always makes me laugh when coins drop and look incredible.
Yeah, the coins that are already placed in the level are pretty awful looking, but the coins that drop look great.

Nabs

i went in and replaced the coins w/ different ones using a level editor. it took too long for one level, so i'll never do that again.

mariocoinsib2d.jpg

plus they sometimes spin off beat

mariocoins2ny7j.jpg

John

Stallion Free said:
I won't lie, it's incredibly nice having you in this thread to help.
I'll say that for both of you. I wasn't even planning on playing Twilight Princess again, but now I'm obligated to. :D

Nabs said:
i went in and replaced the coins w/ different ones using a level editor. it took too long for one level, so i'll never do that again.
Couldn't we just dump the textures and replace the coin texture with something high-res? That would make them look better, but wouldn't make them spin again.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I wish Mario Galaxy would look that great on my HDTV. :( So much aliasing, it hurts my eyes.

.:Wesker:. said:
*Mindblowing Super Mario Galaxy images*
Oh. My. God.

Please excuse my ignorance here, but is this emulator heavily dependant on a top of the line CPU (ala. PCSX2) or does it make more use of the GPU and allow for a more modest dual core CPU to run at higher resolutions? I've scoured through the Dolphin Wiki but couldn't find any concrete info on the subject.

Fitz

It's heavily CPU dependant, a good GPU obviously helps, but your CPU is definitely the major factor in how playable games will be for you.

Nabs

Can I join the SMG party?

.:Wesker:. said:
Couldn't we just dump the textures and replace the coin texture with something high-res? That would make them look better, but wouldn't make them spin again.

sounds like we could. i don't know much about loading textures though

Turfster

Azure Phoenix said:
Oh. My. God.

Please excuse my ignorance here, but is this emulator heavily dependant on a top of the line CPU (ala. PCSX2) or does it make more use of the GPU and allow for a more modest dual core CPU to run at higher resolutions? I've scoured through the Dolphin Wiki but couldn't find any concrete info on the subject.
Yeah, it's CPU dependant.
I can't really run anything I've tried at a decent speed (I'd even be glad with a consistent 10fps+) on the e5050/9800GT and x2 4000+/9600GT systems I've got access to (both pretty modest ~2ghz dual cores), even in 640x480.
(There might be a setting I've missed, but that's what I've discovered.)

Nabs

i'm rocking a controller + d-pad w/ smg. i use the mouse as the pointer.

I don't have a 1080p monitor, so playing like this is tough. There is slowdown but it's very playable. With 720, I stay at 60 most of the time.

Are you guys getting constant fps with SMG? Dropped quite alot when I tried it.

John said:
I don't suppose SMG is playable with only a controller.

Well, only time you REALLY need the pointer is to shoot/grab the stars.

258xbtk.jpg

Background
Monster Hunter places the player in the role of an up-and-coming hunter who must accomplish various quests to achieve glory. Armors, weapons, and other items are created from the remains of slain monsters by carving off their horns, scales and bones. Monster Hunter plays in a similar fashion to Phantasy Star Online allowing the player to team up with up to three other hunters online to take down stronger monsters.
(Stolen from Wikipedia)

• Region: They all work
  • Default FPS: 30
  • Average FPS: 30
  • Widescreen: Supported
  • Dolphin Build: 2.0 r5423, 64-Bit + Bloom Offset patch (by spellforce) / 2.0 r5423, 32-Bit + Bloom Offset patch (by spellforce) + ENBseries patch

Issues
  • Sometimes the characters textures go black if Bloom is disabled. A workaround for this is making sure bloom is enabled when going through loading screens.
  • On-line mode doesn't work, and that represents 80% of the quests you can do. There are however ways to replace on-line quests with the off-line ones.
  • Bloom is too exaggerated and turning it off makes the game too dark. ENBseries patch improves this a bit.

Downloads

Settings

Right click "Monster Hunter Tri" / Properties:
  • Enable TLB Hack
Config
Graphics
DSP
ENBseries
  • If you choose to use the ENBSeries simply extract the ENBSeries to the 32-Bit versino of Dolphin, in the root folder. Once in-game press SHIFT+F12 to activate it.

Screenshots

No Bloom

Bloom

No Bloom +ENBseries

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I can't seem to be able to get F-Zero working that well, I'm using Dolphin 2.0 64bit with the settings in the original post, audio is choppy and getting slow down on some of the tracks.

I have Quad Core, GTX260.

Stallion what settings you using for F-Zero mate?

Also what does "update the emulator to the latest svn revision" mean?, how is this done?

Nabs

an old favorite :D

kids mode so i could get some pics... but the game crashed while loading the second level! that's what i get.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
lowrider007 said:
I can't seem to be able to get F-Zero working that well, I'm using Dolphin 2.0 64bit with the settings in the original post, audio is choppy and getting slow down on some of the tracks.

I have Quad Core, GTX260.

Stallion what settings you using for F-Zero mate?

Also what does "update the emulator to the latest svn revision" mean?, how is this done?
We have a guide coming, just know that F-Zero is fucking hefty and is best played at 720p with 2.25x SSAA or none at all if you want that icy smooth 60 fps. We are trying to figure out some kinks currently before posting the guide though :(

Updating the emulator simply means grabbing a new build from this site: http://dolphin-emulator.com/download.html

Remember they just extract to a folder so you can have as many builds on your pc at a time as you like. I usually have 3 or so for testing purposes.

I'm considering overclocking my CPU just for Wind Waker and F-Zero GX to be in HD.

Is the limiting factor in running these games usually CPU or GPU? I have an Intel Core i7 CPU clocked at about 2.8 GHz. I forget what kind of graphics card I have, but I can't really run HD Wind Waker with a solid framerate. Would overclocking help me that much, or do I need a new graphics card?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
autobzooty said:
I'm considering overclocking my CPU just for Wind Waker and F-Zero GX to be in HD.

Is the limiting factor in running these games usually CPU or GPU? I have an Intel Core i7 CPU clocked at about 2.8 GHz. I forget what kind of graphics card I have, but I can't really run HD Wind Waker with a solid framerate. Would overclocking help me that much, or do I need a new graphics card?

Google up what people over-clock that CPU to to find a good level. In general games are more interested in your CPU than your GPU, but GPU is still significant. Find out what graphics card you have!

Nabs

also:

the i7 is a good cpu, but dolphin only uses 2 cores. if you have hyper threading enabled, dolphin will use only 1 core (1 physical, and 1 virtual). you should either disable HT in the bios, or manually "set affinity" in the task manager to skip the virtual thread (you'd have to do this each time)

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Stallion Free said:
We have a guide coming, just know that F-Zero is fucking hefty and is best played at 720p with 2.25x SSAA or none at all if you want that icy smooth 60 fps. We are trying to figure out some kinks currently before posting the guide though :(

Updating the emulator simply means grabbing a new build from this site: http://dolphin-emulator.com/download.html

Remember they just extract to a folder so you can have as many builds on your pc at a time as you like. I usually have 3 or so for testing purposes.

Thanks mate, I'll be looking forward to the guide, I think I'll dial down the SSAA and resolution for now, have to say this Emulator has to be one of the best things I've played with this gen, the only bummer is that it really makes you yearn after HD Wii !

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
lowrider007 said:
Thanks mate, I'll be looking forward to the guide, I think I'll dial down the SSAA and resolution for now, have to say this Emulator has to be one of the best things I've played with this gen, the only bummer is that it really makes you yearn after HD Wii !

Yeah, it's mindblowingly awesome. I have a couple PS3 games sitting on the side because I'm replaying a Wii and Gamecube games :lol

I'm pumped to start dabbling further into PS2 emulation once I tie up classes this week.

Stallion Free said:
Google up what people over-clock that CPU to to find a good level. In general games are more interested in your CPU than your GPU, but GPU is still significant. Find out what graphics card you have!

I've got an Nvidia GeForce GTX 260

So should I overclock or get a new graphics card? Hopefully just overclock because that's nice and free. :)

Nabs said:
also:

the i7 is a good cpu, but dolphin only uses 2 cores. if you have hyper threading enabled, dolphin will use only 1 core (1 physical, and 1 virtual). you should either disable HT in the bios, or manually "set affinity" in the task manager to skip the virtual thread (you'd have to do this each time)

Does disabling hyperthreading have any other side effects? Like, any reason i would NOT want to do this?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
autobzooty said:
I've got an Nvidia GeForce GTX 260

So should I overclock or get a new graphics card? Hopefully just overclock because that's nice and free. :)

Try over-clocking first and if that doesn't do enough, go grab a ATI 5850. Crazy bang for your buck performance wise with that card.

Stallion Free said:
Try over-clocking first and if that doesn't do enough, go grab a ATI 5850. Crazy bang for your buck performance wise with that card.

I've never really tried overclocking before, and I'm a bit scared. I really don't wanna damage my CPU, but I've heard of people getting up to 4 GHz out of the same CPU as me.

Is overclocking only a matter of your CPU? Or does it also have to do with your motherboard and PSU? If I just followed a guide that someone made to the letter, would I still be at risk if my PSU and motherboard were different?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
PSU and Mobo do play a roll in it, but there are ton's of guides on how to do it and it's really simple. Play it safe with how high you go though. A guide that uses a different mbo/PSU can still be used just fine. And don't close up your case until you have booted up completely because if you do OC it too much and it doesn't work out well, you will prolly have to reset the bios and try a lower speed.

JADS

Title_Tales_of_Symphonia.jpg

Background
Set two years after the events of the original, best selling Gamecube RPG, Tales of Symphonia, embark on a new adventure in the world
saved by Lloyd and his friends. Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World follows the journey of two young heroes in a world of chaos
as their fates intertwine with Lloyd, Colette, and Ratatosk, a summon spirit rumored to be the lord of all monsters.
  • Region: NTSC
  • Completion: 50%
  • Default FPS: 60
  • Average FPS: 60
  • Resolution: 1080p
  • Widescreen: Yes
  • Dolphin Version: 5435, 64-Bit

Issues
Nothing major, baring some minor graphical glitches. The game seems to run well on low powered hardware aswell. I have tested it on
my laptop (Integrated Video card, Athlon Turion TL 56) and it seemed to run well.
  • When under a spell effect, for example sharpen, the monsters colour can be rendered incorrectly, no Fix Found.
  • Skits are rendered incorrectly, the background is black while it should be transparent, no Fix found.
  • Auto Framerate is busted on both versions I tested (2.0, r5435). Falling back to audio throttle keeps a somewhat stable framerate.

Settings

Config / Basic Settings
  • Enable Dual Core: Yes
  • Enable Idle Skipping: Yes
  • Framelimit: Off
  • Use FPS For Limiting: No
Config / Advanced Settings
  • HLE the IPL: Yes
  • CPU Emulator Engine: JIT Recompiler
  • Lock Threads to Cores: No
  • DSPLLE on Thread: No
Config /Interface Settings
  • Confirm on Stop: No
  • Use Panic Handlers: No
Graphics / Direct3D
  • V-Sync: Yes
  • Widescreen Hack: No
  • Aspect Ratio: Auto
  • Anti-Alias Mode: 4x SSAA
  • Enable CPU->EFB Access: No
  • Safe Texture Cache: No
Graphics / Enhancements
  • Force Bi/Trilinear: No
  • Enable 16x Anisotropy Filtering: Yes
  • Enable Hires Texture Loading: No
  • EFB Scaled Copy: Yes
Graphics / Advanced
  • Disable Fog: No
  • Enable EFB Copy: To Texture
  • Enable XFB: No
  • Use Native Mips: Yes
  • Overlay FPS Counter: No
  • Enable Hotkey: No
  • Enable Wireframe: No
  • Enable Real XFB: No
DSP / Sound
  • Enable HLE Audio: Yes
  • Enable DTK Music: Yes
  • Enable Audio Throttle: Yes
  • Audio Backend: DSound

Screenshots

commissar

Hey Stallion,
I've been playing Wind Waker, and it's running well, but the sword master parrying doesn't work. I press A & Link crouches & loses his sword which is a bit weird.

How did you get around this problem?
And/or if it's working for you, do you mind doing a quick save game for me :>

Nabs

i think i toned down the filter in LKS a bit. now if only i could get the game to stop crashing

Dascu

I love how expressionate the characters and enemies are in Wind Waker. Here's a shot of a Moblin after I grabbed its necklace with the Grappling Hook:
fjlypx.jpg

John

Welp, I've hit the wall. Twilight Princess refuses to run at 30FPS whenever I'm in a decently-sized area. Don't want to risk overclocking and voiding the warrantee, so I guess I'm out for a couple years.

Weirdly enough though, the only 16:9 resolution the config offers me is 1600x900. Would I be able to do it at 720?

Viewtiful Joe looks amazing. Can't wait for those REmake pics. That game already had photo realistic environments. HD would make that game even better.

MNC

Wow, you can count the fucking polygons with Mario and see all the game's resources.... Like it's a PC game :O

And the Moblin's mouth is just about always like that :lol

Wow @ Viewtiful Joe and Tales of Symphonia! If it weren't for SMG I would have said cell-shaded games benefit the most from the emulator, but Galaxy still looks nicer I think.

Top Bottom