• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

eosos

Banned
In Wind Waker I always get slowdown in the part of the island by grandmas house. Just keep going. Also, does anyone else have issues with the kokari forest part and insane slowdown? Is this common?
edit : How well does Mario Galaxy run? Any slowdown or lag? Thanks!

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Minsc said:
Makes no/little difference, OP is using a 4800-series card as you can see from the screens, that is probably even overkill, depending on how much AA you need.

All the OP lacks is a super-sharp high-res real-life picture of the emulator being output in 1080p to a nice HDTV, really showing up a traditional Nintendo Wii! Good job :)
Wait seriously? I have a 4850 now, how much fps will I gain if I upgrade on an E8400? Mainly the reason was for dolphin since I build my comp for PS2 emulation in the first place but if it makes little sense to upgrade (PC games still satisfy me enough on 720p/30fps) I guess I'll wait till they go cheaper.

guys, don't obsess over your processor speed so much. I'm on a laptop running an i5 430m (~2.5 GHz with turbo boost) and WW runs pretty damn good. Between this and PCSX2, I have like no time to study for finals. :lol

seriously though, just give it a try and see if it runs. Not everything has to be 1080p 60fps all the time to be playable, you know.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
timetokill said:
Did you actually get through it? I couldn't stop laughing and/or shaking my head at it :\ I skimmed through it, but I was really disappointed with it.

I won't lie, I got bored and surfed the net on my laptop. There were some bits that looked quite nice on Bluray though and some of the action sequences were pretty cool.

1-D_FTW said:
Or maybe I'll just stick to Wii. I wasn't interested before because I thought it needed quad core. I can probably overclock my dual core close to 4 Ghz, but if 3.7 isn't manly enough, maybe I'll just wait.:lol

Dolphin only uses two cores, so a quad is pointless. I've heard 4GHz is a 'sweet spot', if you want to call it that, so do try.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Vic said:
If I'm not wrong, no current CPU can run this game at full speed/1080p.

You are wrong, I run at full speed (30 fps = 100% speed) at 1080p with 4x SSAA on a Q9400 clocked at 3.6 ghz.

miladesn said:
Rogue Squadron games still don't work?
and post some Pikmin 2 and Paper Mario pics please.

Sadly the Rogue Squadron games still don't work. Paper Mario pics will be coming soon.

Here is some F-Zero, shit looks unbelieveable at 1080p/60 fps:

F-Zero%2001.jpg

F-Zero%2002.jpg

F-Zero%2003.jpg

F-Zero%2004.jpg

F-Zero%2005.jpg

Bookmarked. Thanks so much for the effort of putting this thread together!

Quick question: At the moment I have an AMD Phenom II X4 955 clocked at 3.5ghz. Is this alright for this kind of emulation? And for my next CPU upgrade should I go with one of Intels (though I really don't like the speed at which their motherboard sockets change), or wait until AMD's Bulldozers come out? (Around 2011, and apparently will slot into my current motherboard (AM2+).

Salsa

Stallion Free said:

mlinq0.gif

Ok, is it normal that i get the kind of drops in fps that i posted on the last page in WW ?

core2duo e7200 @ 2.5 ghz
2gb ram
Nvidia 9600gt 512mb ddr3

Maybe is just the first island part ?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I've got an Intel dual core (2.19Ghz), 3 gigs of RAM (technically four, but I'm still on 32-bit XP), and a GeForce 8800 GTS.

Can I run anything decently?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SalsaShark said:
Ok, is it normal that i get the kind of drops in fps that i posted on the last page in WW ?

core2duo e7200 @ 2.5 ghz
2gb ram
Nvidia 9600gt 512mb ddr3

Maybe is just the first island part ?

Are you using the 64-bit version of Dolphin?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Stallion Free said:
You are wrong, I run at full speed (30 fps = 100% speed) at 1080p with 4x SSAA on a Q9400 clocked at 3.6 ghz.

Can you post, in great detail, your exact system specs and the performance you get on various games. (Preferably with any significant preferences noted.)

Thanks!!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SalsaShark said:
Nope. Win XP 32 bit.

Can i still use the 64bit version or something ?

Nope you can't, but apparently 64-bit does increase the performance. You really should be upgraded to Windows 7 by now, no excuses really. Also, your video card is a bit on the weak side.

It should be noted that Dolphin and a couple other programs misread my 5850 as a 4800 series card in name alone. I still get the performance of the 5850. I do use Driver Sweeper in safe mode, but some line of code that these programs read stayed from my 4870 and it make me look less cool in the process. I'm getting a SSD soon though and that means a reformat which should fix that little error.

Salsa

Stallion Free said:
Nope you can't, but apparently 64-bit does increase the performance. You really should be upgraded to Windows 7 by now, no excuses really. Also, your video card is a bit on the weak side.

Yeah, getting a new 500gb HDD next week since im a bit out of space and was already going to upgrade for Just Cause 2. And really ? the video card ? i thought the main problem was going to be the processor speed. Good to know, thanks!

Nimyh

Banned
So... how does one enable nvidia's anaglyph 3D for Dolphin? I already got it working for actual PC games, what's the next step? :D

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SalsaShark said:
Yeah, getting a new 500gb HDD next week since im a bit out of space and was already going to upgrade for Just Cause 2. And really ? the video card ? i thought the main problem was going to be the processor speed. Good to know, thanks!

Yeah, now that I am looking at it, your processor is kinda slow as well. Have you overclocked it at all? If that is factory spec, I bet you can OC it to 3 ghz comfortably. Just Cause 2 is pretty amazing, enjoy :D

Dacvak said:
Can you post, in great detail, your exact system specs and the performance you get on various games. (Preferably with any significant preferences noted.)

Thanks!!

Just added what my specs are in the questions section of the OP, performance in games will be noted as you can see in the Zelda config guide post. I can't do configs like that for every game so I put the config guide format up in a text file for people to fill out for me so that I can then add the last couple touches before sending it back for them to post and be linked to in the OP.

Salsa

Stallion Free said:
Yeah, now that I am looking at it, your processor is kinda slow as well. Have you overclocked it at all?

Thought about it, might do it someday. Im pretty much playing every game at max (or near max) settings (except for the obvious GTA IV, Crysis..) with no real problems as of now, so yeah. For now ill wait to see how it works on Win 7. Thanks again :D

Schlomo

Great thread, Stallion Free!

Sadly Dolphin is still broken for me. I get strange tearing in most games that wasn't there before, even if I use old revisions that used to work perfectly. No clue what I did to deserve this, I have tried everything by now.

Can somone please help me?I posted in the other topic but never got a response.I'd REALLY like to run Dolphin on my laptop, but for some time every time I install it and try to run it, it just says "can't init. pad settings".Basically no plugins are available for me to choose for either the GC pad or the wiimote, they don't even appear in the drop down menu.Can anyone help me with this?Please?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Book fucking marked.

I was going to send you a PM about the wiimote + sensor bar since it seemed like you had that setup in the previous thread. But you've put all the information here so that saved me the trouble :D

This is certainly on my to do list.

So I'm pretty confident about my pc doing all this except for my RAM. I never upgraded it in the years I have this, and maybe I should before I'm going to even try this. So tell me:

Intel(R) Core 2 Quad CPU @ 2.40Ghz
2GB RAM
GeForce 8800GTX 786MB
Windows Vista 32-bit

Is this enough, I only want to play Gamecube games, no Wii games for now. Zelda and stuff. If you recommend for me to buy another GB (can only put one extra in, Vista 32-bit only supports up to 3GB) I will go out and buy that, but if you think I'll manage for now, I'll keep it at this.

Pizza Luigi said:
So I'm pretty confident about my pc doing all this except for my RAM. I never upgraded it in the years I have this, and maybe I should before I'm going to even try this. So tell me:

Intel(R) Core 2 Quad CPU @ 2.40Ghz
2GB RAM
GeForce 8800GTX 786MB
Windows Vista 32-bit

Is this enough, I only want to play Gamecube games, no Wii games for now. Zelda and stuff. If you recommend for me to buy another GB (can only put one extra in, Vista 32-bit only supports up to 3GB) I will go out and buy that, but if you think I'll manage for now, I'll keep it at this.
Upgrading to a 64-bit OS would be more worthwhile than adding another gig of RAM. You might also want to look into overclocking your processor.

I'm thinking about getting Windows 7, but only in a few months. Then my college will start and then I can get a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit for 20 bucks, so that's easy.

I'm a noob in the overclocking department, so I'll read into that for a bit.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Enemy Of Fate said:
Can somone please help me?I posted in the other topic but never got a response.I'd REALLY like to run Dolphin on my laptop, but for some time every time I install it and try to run it, it just says "can't init. pad settings".Basically no plugins are available for me to choose for either the GC pad or the wiimote, they don't even appear in the drop down menu.Can anyone help me with this?Please?

Try unzipping these plugins into your Dolphin\Plugins folder: GC Pad/Wiimote Plugins

Wii said:
stallion, f-zero gx has a widescreen mode, which should unstretch the HUD

Thanks for the heads up, I had just grabbed those shots quick last night and it completely slipped my mind to check the settings.

F-Zero%2006.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Title_Zelda_WW.jpg

Background
Legend has it that whenever evil has appeared, a hero named Link has risen to defeat it. That legend continues on the surface of a great
and mysterious sea as Link sets off on his most and awe-inspiring adventure yet. Aided by a magical conductor's baton called the Wind
Waker, he will face unimaginable monsters, explore puzzling dungeons, and meet a cast of unforgettable characters as he searches for
his kidnapped sister.
  • Region: NTSC
  • Completion: 75%
  • Default FPS: 30
  • Average FPS: 30
  • Resolution: 1080p
  • Widescreen: Yes
  • Dolphin Build: 2.0 Official, 64-Bit

Issues
Nothing game breaking here, however, the broken heatwave effect is really an eye sore. I rushed through the lava segments in Dragon
Roost Cavern as quickly as possible. The widescreen hack actually works in this game and doesn't break effects or textures.
  • Sound clipping during the opening cinematic, no fix found.
  • Low-resolution looking depth of field effect, fixed by disabling CPU->EFB Access, on newer builds use this.
  • Broken heatwave effect on Dragon Roost Cavern, no fix found.
  • The Old Hyrule black & white filter is low-resolution similar to the depth of field effect, no fix found.
  • The Old Hyrule transition to color is instantaneous, fixed by re-enabling CPU->EFB Access for the duration.

Settings

Config / Basic Settings
  • Enable Dual Core: Yes
  • Enable Idle Skipping: Yes
  • Framelimit: Auto
  • Use FPS For Limiting: No
Config / Advanced Settings
  • HLE the IPL: Yes
  • CPU Emulator Engine: JIT Recompiler
  • Lock Threads to Cores: Yes
  • DSPLLE on Thread: Yes
Config /Interface Settings
  • Confirm on Stop: No
  • Use Panic Handlers: No
Graphics / Direct3D
  • V-Sync: No
  • Widescreen Hack: Yes
  • Aspect Ratio: Force 16:9 Widescreen
  • Anti-Alias Mode: 4x SSAA
  • Enable CPU->EFB Access: No
  • Safe Texture Cache: Normal
Graphics / Enhancements
  • Force Bi/Trilinear: No
  • Enable 16x Anisotropy Filtering: Yes
  • Enable Hires Texture Loading: No
  • EFB Scaled Copy: Yes
Graphics / Advanced
  • Disable Fog: No
  • Enable EFB Copy: To Texture
  • Enable XFB: No
  • Use Native Mips: Yes
  • Overlay FPS Counter: No
  • Enable Hotkey: No
  • Enable Wireframe: No
  • Enable Real XFB: No
DSP / Sound
  • Enable HLE Audio: Yes
  • Enable DTK Music: Yes
  • Enable Audio Throttle: No
  • Audio Backend: DSound

Screenshots

scitek

Can't really be played, though. Some critical things are missing, like the paint splotches all over the ground don't show up, for instance.

NotWii

Banned
Wow, most things run pretty well for me with Stallion's settings

I think I'll go through TP GC or Wii
I wish there was a way to expand the frustrum culling in the GC zelda games with the widescreen hack, so it doesn't hide things when they're out of the 4:3 frame

So I ripped my games to my hard drive. Can I do a NAND backup/dump with bootmii or some other similar tool, feed it to Dolphin and launch the system menu at startup so I have a fully emulated wii? Does Dolphin work properly with USB ports / SD card slots?

Davidion

Don't care about wii, can play that on my actual wii.

All I want is to be able to play Ikaruga on my monitor, with my arcade stick. This will fulfill a small portion of my gaming dreams.

Red

Vic said:
If I'm not wrong, no current CPU can run this game at full speed/1080p.
You're very wrong. I'm running it at 2560x1600 full speed 95% of the time. i7 920 @ 3.5GHz, Radeon 5870.

Anony

Caesar III said:
Is there no other way to get the games off the discs? :(

u need a very specific model of a lg dvd burner, probably not in manufacturing anymore and scares

so yeah, having a wii is the only way to go

my system is e6600 (2.4ghz), 2gb ram, 5670 @ pci-e 4x, xp pro
runs at 100% for like 90% of the game so far at 1200x800

stop trying it run the res to 1080p if you know your comp cant handle it

Top Bottom