• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

jett

D-Member
Host Samurai said:
Viewtiful Joe looks amazing. Can't wait for those REmake pics. That game already had photo realistic environments. HD would make that game even better.

I think it looks kinda bad in HD, only exacerbates the fact that the backgrounds are of low resolution.

DolphinIL%202009-08-07%2017-19-06-82.jpg

JADS

John said:
Welp, I've hit the wall. Twilight Princess refuses to run at 30FPS whenever I'm in a decently-sized area. Don't want to risk overclocking and voiding the warrantee, so I guess I'm out for a couple years.

Weirdly enough though, the only 16:9 resolution the config offers me is 1600x900. Would I be able to do it at 720?

Twilight Princess has some major issues. A lot of people have problems on areas like Faron Woods, Lake Hylia or any large area. Then there is the nasty Hyrule field bug that even brings my i7 to it knees (Sub 20 FPS). There is a special build by Xtreme2damax (R5430) that has some patches applied that breaks almost every other game except Zelda:TP, but your mileage my vary with it .

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The backgrounds in REmake are only 4:3. They are pre-rendered so you can't do anything to fix it. They don't look amazing when upscaled, but they still look nice so long as they aren't stretched to shit like that shot. The models on the other hand look amazing.

Lol I just made my GF try out F-Zero with me. I don't think she likes it as much as Mario Kart, but it runs fucking perfectly except for 1 track. 60 fps, 1080p, 4xSSAA.

Dolphin_2010-05-17_15-26-16-64.jpg

Dolphin_2010-05-17_15-27-56-46.jpg

Stallion Free said:
The backgrounds in REmake are only 4:3. They are pre-rendered so you can't do anything to fix it. They don't look amazing when upscaled, but they still look nice so long as they aren't stretched to shit like that shot. The models on the other hand look amazing.

Lol I just made my GF try out F-Zero with me. I don't think she likes it as much as Mario Kart, but it runs fucking perfectly except for 1 track. 60 fps, 1080p, 4xSSAA.

http://h.imagehost.org/0831/Dolphin_2010-05-17_15-26-16-64.jpg[img]

[img]http://h.imagehost.org/0802/Dolphin_2010-05-17_15-27-56-46.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

God that looks so sweet. Can't wait to try out F-Zero.

I'll be overclocking my CPU from 2.68 GHz to 3.8 GHz later today, so hopefully I'll have these games up and running by the end of the day!

You should write a guide for F-Zero GX too, Stallion. These guides of yours are wicked helpful.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
autobzooty said:
God that looks so sweet. Can't wait to try out F-Zero.

I'll be overclocking my CPU from 2.68 GHz to 3.8 GHz later today, so hopefully I'll have these games up and running by the end of the day!

You should write a guide for F-Zero GX too, Stallion. These guides of yours are wicked helpful.

Nice man, I'm excited for you. Nabs and I are figuring out some settings we want to go with for the F-Zero guide atm, but it will probably be up tonight.

And don't forget all the other people making guides! Jads, Wesker, and Nabs are wicked helpful.

Okay, my first attempt to overclock did not work at all. :lol

It doesn't help that my motherboard's BIOS uses unconcentional terminology with regards to the overclocking settings. It's like I'm translating stuff between two languages I don't understand.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
.:Wesker:. said:
I'm working on a guide for MadWorld. Not sure how many people would give a damn. :lol

I do, it actually ran pretty much perfectly on my default set up, but I only played a bit of the first level. I'm interested to see what settings you use and the game is a fucking blast, people should not overlook it.

miked808

I'm using a DS3 and can't get the right analog stick mapped right. I've searched everywhere and tried everything if anyone has any tips I'm all ears.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Stallion Free said:
I do, it actually ran pretty much perfectly on my default set up, but I only played a bit of the first level. I'm interested to see what settings you use and the game is a fucking blast, people should not overlook it.

Nah, they should, it's really nothing special.

People here should definitely not continue overlooking Overkill though. I heard stuttering was much improved without running it from the disc, really wondering how it performs on Dolphin (especially IR.)

delleps

Neo Member
Are there any side-by-sides with the games running normally?
I personally don't see anything crazy awesome here, but I think that's more because there's no reference.

Red

delleps said:
Are there any side-by-sides with the games running normally?
I personally don't see anything crazy awesome here, but I think that's more because there's no reference.
wjdzcm.jpg

qyzd38.jpg

Nabs

i wonder what that pic would look like on an hd screen. you should post what it looks like in fullscreen.

Sanjay

Why would you do that? said:
Wow, I don't remember F-Zero GX ever looking like that! Okay, I have to emulate it. I haven't played it in a long time either, so I kinda miss it anyway...

I put a challenge out there, any one to screen grab the GP menu showing 3 stars complete with all the courses, you will be a gaming god among us dolphin folks.

Red

Nabs said:
i wonder what that pic would look like on an hd screen. you should post what it looks like in fullscreen.
When I paste the capture it scales the image down to its normal res. I tried scaling it in GIMP, but there's an obvious loss of quality. Anyway, here's the result:
Image moved to earlier post.[IMG]

Your example is a lot better :lol

Sanjay said:
I put a challenge out there, any one to screen grab the GP menu showing 3 stars complete with all the courses, you will be a gaming god among us dolphin folks.

Also, whoever does this should share the save file. :p

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Guys, just enable cheats, right click the ISO and go AR codes and check off all the unlocks. The real meat of the game lies in the splitscreen racing for me anyways.

miked808 said:
I'm using a DS3 and can't get the right analog stick mapped right. I've searched everywhere and tried everything if anyone has any tips I'm all ears.

Are you using MotionJoy? If so make sure it's not set to 360 emulation. Then just manually assign the axis for the right stick in the menu.

Red

Stallion Free said:
Guys, just enable cheats, right click the ISO and go AR codes and check off all the unlocks. The real meat of the game lies in the splitscreen racing for me anyways.
Have you had any luck getting co-op to work in Wii games? My second wiimote is always nonresponsive in-game, even when detected in Dolphin (seems to get switched to "inactive" or disconnected whenever I start up a game).

Sanjay

Stallion Free said:

Screw you Stallion screw you!, what kind of stallion are you, man up!

Ceebs

Has anyone been able to get the Gamecube version of Mario Tennis working? The game runs fine but it has tons of graphical glitches and flickering textures.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Title_F-Zero.jpg

Background
Race for glory in the Grand Prix cups, speed through an incredible storyline as Captain Falcon, take on up to three friends, build and
customize your own machine, challenge your time ghosts, and much more!
  • Region: NTSC
  • Completion: 30%
  • Default FPS: 60
  • Average FPS: 60
  • Resolution: 1080p
  • Widescreen: Yes (make sure you turn on widescreen in game settings as well for a non-stretched hud)
  • Dolphin Build: 2.0, 64-bit

Issues
  • Story mode does not work.
  • Some frame drops, specifically on the Big Blue tracks which struggle to hit 60 fps.
  • Some graphical issues on menus.
  • Shadows sometimes break, mostly in the Grand Prix mode.
  • Some effects may not work without CPU > EFB Access (the heatwave on Sand Ocean), turning this on halves performance.

Settings

Config / Basic Settings
  • Enable Dual Core: Yes
  • Enable Idle Skipping: Yes
  • Framelimit: Auto
  • Use FPS For Limiting: No
Config / Advanced Settings
  • HLE the IPL: Yes
  • CPU Emulator Engine: JIT Recompilier
  • Lock Threads to Cores: No
  • DSPLLE on Thread: No
Config /Interface Settings
  • Confirm on Stop: No
  • Use Panic Handlers: No
Graphics / Direct3D
  • V-Sync: No
  • Widescreen Hack: Yes
  • Aspect Ratio: 16:9
  • Anti-Alias Mode: 4x SSAA
  • Enable CPU->EFB Access: No
  • Safe Texture Cache: No
Graphics / Enhancements
  • Force Bi/Trilinear: No
  • Enable 16x Anisotropy Filtering: Yes
  • Enable Hires Texture Loading: No
  • EFB Scaled Copy: Yes
Graphics / Advanced
  • Disable Fog: No
  • Enable EFB Copy: To Texture
  • Enable XFB: Yes
  • Use Native Mips: Yes
  • Overlay FPS Counter: No
  • Enable Hotkey: No
  • Enable Wireframe: No
  • Enable Real XFB: No
DSP / Sound
  • Enable HLE Audio: Yes
  • Enable DTK Music: Yes
  • Enable Audio Throttle: No
  • Audio Backend: DSound

Screenshots

Okay since this thread is more active than the one I made on Anandtech, I'll just ask here.

How do you overclock your CPU?! I've found two guides but both of them left my computer unable to boot until I reset the CMOS. I should easily be able to get up to 3.8 GHz, but I don't know anything about what settings I need to change to achieve this. Can anyone help out?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Crunched said:
Have you had any luck getting co-op to work in Wii games? My second wiimote is always nonresponsive in-game, even when detected in Dolphin (seems to get switched to "inactive" or disconnected whenever I start up a game).

My Wii with all but one of my Wiimotes is currently at my GF's house, I'll bring one home with me tomorrow to test that out.

Red

autobzooty said:
Okay since this thread is more active than the one I made on Anandtech, I'll just ask here.

How do you overclock your CPU?! I've found two guides but both of them left my computer unable to boot until I reset the CMOS. I should easily be able to get up to 3.8 GHz, but I don't know anything about what settings I need to change to achieve this. Can anyone help out?
What CPU do you have? Google its make and "overclocking," you should get plenty of results.
Stallion Free said:
My Wii with all but one of my Wiimotes is currently at my GF's house, I'll bring one home with me tomorrow to test that out.
Cool :D

Crunched said:
What CPU do you have? Google its make and "overclocking," you should get plenty of results.

Yeah, I found a couple guides, but like I said, they left my computer unable to boot. And most of the results are ambiguous pointers on how to experiment with overclocking it, rather than just giving me the hard values I need to set.

I'm on an Intel Core i7 920, btw.

Red

autobzooty said:
Yeah, I found a couple guides, but like I said, they left my computer unable to boot. And most of the results are ambiguous pointers on how to experiment with overclocking it, rather than just giving me the hard values I need to set.

I'm on an Intel Core i7 920, btw.
I'm using the same CPU and getting incredible results at a 3.5GHz, let me reboot and check my settings.

OK, here are my settings with an i7 920 and a P6T deluxe motherboard (if you're using a different mobo there may be some differences):

CPU Ratio: 20
Speedstep: disabled (important so the chip doesn't increase its clock speed without you knowing)
BCLK: 175
PCIE: 100
DRAM frequency: 1403MHz
UCLK: Auto
QPI link data rate: Auto

CPU Voltage: 1.225
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.9
QPI/DRAM Voltage: 1.2625
IOH Voltage: Auto
IOH PCIE Voltage: Auto
ICH Voltage: Auto
ICH PCIE Voltage: Auto
DRAM bus voltage: 1.64

All other settings on auto.

Might be worth noting I had my chip at a stable 3.7GHz clock for a few weeks before it suddenly started acting up. Knocking the clock down to 3.5GHz has given me a stable overclock for about five months. Zero problems, and a decrease of about 3-5C compared to my 3.7GHz OC. My hottest core usually idles at 38-39C, the other three are usually between 30-35C. Dolphin usually gets them to around 50C or a little higher.

Crunched said:
I'm using the same CPU and getting incredible results at a 3.5GHz, let me reboot and check my settings.

OK, here are my settings with an i7 920 and a P6T deluxe motherboard (if you're using a different mobo there may be some differences):

CPU Ratio: 20
Speedstep: disabled (important so the chip doesn't increase its clock speed without you knowing)
BCLK: 175
PCIE: 100
DRAM frequency: 1403MHz
UCLK: Auto
QPI link data rate: Auto

CPU Voltage: 1.225
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.9
QPI/DRAM Voltage: 1.2625
IOH Voltage: Auto
IOH PCIE Voltage: Auto
ICH Voltage: Auto
ICH PCIE Voltage: Auto
DRAM bus voltage: 1.64

All other settings on auto.

Might be worth noting I had my chip at a stable 3.7GHz clock for a few weeks before it suddenly started acting up. Knocking the clock down to 3.5GHz has given me a stable overclock for about five months. Zero problems, and a decrease of about 3-5C compared to my 3.7GHz OC. My hottest core usually idles at 38-39C, the other three are usually between 30-35C. Dolphin usually gets them to around 50C or a little higher.

Alright, thanks for this. I'll give it a try.

Btw, what was your process for determining how much voltage to give each component? I've seen people go as high as 4.2 GHz on this CPU, so I know it's safe to go a little higher than what you have, but I don't know the method for choosing all these options. It's really frustrating.

Sanjay said:
autobzooty said:
Also, whoever does this should share the save file. :p
I have a save file with 4 stars on all 5 cups, but it's on my Gamecube memory card. I will try to find a way to dump the save file and transfer it to the PC.

I have a save file with 4 stars on all 5 cups, but it's on my Gamecube memory card. I will try to find a way to dump the save file and transfer it to the PC.

Well according to stallion free, you can just use cheat codes to unlock all the stuff, so don't knock yourself out or anything.

Red

autobzooty said:
Alright, thanks for this. I'll give it a try.

Btw, what was your process for determining how much voltage to give each component? I've seen people go as high as 4.2 GHz on this CPU, so I know it's safe to go a little higher than what you have, but I don't know the method for choosing all these options. It's really frustrating.
After a lot of experimenting, I decided to go with the highest "safe" voltages I could find (my BIOS colors voltages blue, purple, yellow, red according to their levels; everything in my post is blue, but at the max increment for that level). Turned out to work pretty nicely.

I definitely wouldn't push 4GHz or higher unless you're looking to buy another processor in a year or two. Those people on 4.2GHz are probably running "hypothetical" setups, rigs that can't realistically be used. I saw liquid nitrogen being used as cooling in one case.

What heatsink/fans are you using?

Crunched said:
After a lot of experimenting, I decided to go with the highest "safe" voltages I could find (my BIOS colors voltages blue, purple, yellow, red according to their levels; everything in my post is blue, but at the max increment for that level). Turned out to work pretty nicely.

I definitely wouldn't push 4GHz or higher unless you're looking to buy another processor in a year or two. Those people on 4.2GHz are probably running "hypothetical" setups, rigs that can't realistically be used. I saw liquid nitrogen being used as cooling in one case.

What heatsink/fans are you using?

I've got two case fans (which have been running on the lowest speed until I cranked em up for the overclocking today) and a pretty basic heatsink/fan combo thingy. My CPU will shut itself off if it gets too hot though, so I'm not too worried about accidentally overheating. If I get an auto-shutdown at 3.8 GHz, then I'll turn it down, but until then, I'm not really worried about it.

However, I've heard that this particular CPU starts to automatically throttle itself at 4.0 GHz, and you have to do some weird stuff to make that not happen. 3.8 seems to be the sweet spot for safely overclocking the Core i7 920, from what I've read.

I wish my BIOS was as helpful as yours though. It's so damn confusing to set all this up....

I need to overclock my CPU. I have an Athlon 64 X2 @ 2.7GHz. I got it partially because of good things I heard about its overclocking abilities, but I haven't tried it out yet.

autobzooty said:
Well according to stallion free, you can just use cheat codes to unlock all the stuff, so don't knock yourself out or anything.
That's good. I forgot about Dolphin's built-in cheats. It's one of my favorite features about Dolphin (and Project 64, too).

Stallion Free said:
I would absolutely love to race others splitscreen, but I don't know anyone as interested in the game as me. :( In my circle of friends, it's all about Mario Kart Wii (which is also really fun, but it isn't F-Zero GX).

Red

autobzooty said:
I've got two case fans (which have been running on the lowest speed until I cranked em up for the overclocking today) and a pretty basic heatsink/fan combo thingy. My CPU will shut itself off if it gets too hot though, so I'm not too worried about accidentally overheating. If I get too hot at 3.8 GHz, then I'll turn it down, but until then, I'm not really worried about it.

However, I've heard that this particular CPU starts to automatically throttle itself at 4.0 GHz, and you have to do some weird stuff to make that not happen. 3.8 seems to be the sweet spot for safely overclocking the Core i7 920, from what I've read.

I wish my BIOS was as helpful as yours though. It's so damn confusing to set all this up....
I would google your motherboard along with "i7 overclocking" and see if you get any results (you may have already tried this).

I need to overclock my CPU. I have an Athlon 64 X2 @ 2.7GHz. I got it partially because of good things I heard about its overclocking abilities, but I haven't tried it out yet.

That's good. I forgot about Dolphin's built-in cheats. It's one of my favorite features about Dolphin (and Project 64, too).

I would absolutely love to race others splitscreen, but I don't know anyone as interested in the game as me. :( In my circle of friends, it's all about Mario Kart Wii (which is also really fun, but it isn't F-Zero GX).

Can dolphin play online via kailerra or something? I'll definitely play with you if we can do that. F-Zero GX is my favorite racing game of all time.

May I ask a small favor?

Would someone who has Chocobo's Dungeon just screencap h.a.n.d.'s logo when you boot-up the game?

They're logo is nowhere else but their website, and it's just white with a picture in the background, but the game has the logo in its proper green-outlined form, resolution and everything, pixel-perfect.

Make sure it's properly shown of course, like in-between the fades, and save it an bmp and upload it in png (imageshack works), and just PM me the logo when you get it as imageshack's banned for the Golden Frog curse. And make sure any emulation effects are turned off so no filtering an all that; it's in its very original form.

Thanks in advance. :)

autobzooty said:
Can dolphin play online via kailerra or something? I'll definitely play with you if we can do that. F-Zero GX is my favorite racing game of all time.
I don't know if my computer can run it fast enough or if my Internet's good enough, but I'd really love to try that if Dolphin can. It's also my favorite racing game ever.

I think I may have messed up my computer in the overclocking process....

I checked my motherboard manual for the error code that my mobo was giving me so I could figure out what I needed to change to boot up my computer with the overclock. It told me I needed more DRAM voltage, so I figured I'd incrementally add more voltage to that until that error message went away. I got up to about 1.75 volts, when I turned it off and it did not turn back on again.

All the research I did pretty much told me that what just happened is not possible. But did I seriously screw up? Not sure what to do now. It could be that the mobo is fried, or it could be the RAM, or maybe it's not even broken and I'm missing something. Any ideas? Is 1.75 volts really that dangerous for the DRAM? I had the option of going much much higher, and it only started at like 1.3 or 1.4 volts by default. Didn't really feel like I was taking a big chance there.

Top Bottom