• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Shambles

Completely off-topic...

This thread has got me wondering if there is some sort of plugin or browser that will load image placeholders before the images themselves. Having a wall of images take some time to load isn't annoying, it's the constant scrolling that doesn't let you read anything while it's loading everything that annoys me. I'm using FF 3.6.10

Nabs

I should be doing hw said:
Can someone make a compilation post of all the custom game settings? Searching through the entire thread is such a hassle. I wish they hadn't completely crippled the search function of GAF.
:lol I'm sorry for laughing, but...

Damn, those Kirby shots are both beautiful and tragic. They really show how the Wii's crappy output is seriously stifling their artists, time to give them the reward of some nice next generation HD hardware, I reckon. They've been punished long enough. Those assets are completely wasted on the Wii.

:lol
Thanks. Really not sure how I missed it, I went straight to the OP first. In mt defense it's kinda tucked away and in a second post.
I won't make any further excuses though :lol

Just curious, has anyone put any Rune Factory pics up yet? I'm pretty sure it's supposed to run nicely on recent builds.

MYE

brain_stew said:
Damn, those Kirby shots are both beautiful and tragic. They really show how the Wii's crappy output is seriously stifling their artists, time to give them the reward of some nice next generation HD hardware, I reckon. They've been punished long enough. Those assets are completely wasted on the Wii.

Really?

Of all games you chose a crisp 2D one that actually holds up pretty damn well on a big HD tv to say this?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I should be doing hw said:
:lol
Thanks. Really not sure how I missed it, I went straight to the OP first. In mt defense it's kinda tucked away and in a second post.
I won't make any further excuses though :lol
In your *not* defense, there is a strongly worded warning in red in the OP at the very start that says that individual configs are in the post below.

MYE said:
Really?

Of all games you chose a crisp 2D one that actually holds up pretty damn well on a big HD tv to say this?

Its a very poor representation of the art assets that lie on the disc. When the hardware isn't able to reproduce the art assets that your developers are shipping with their games then its time tow switch hardware.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Kirby continues here:

Stallion's Photo Album for Kirby's Epic Yarn

Kirby%20042.jpg

Kirby%20044.jpg

Kirby%20048.jpg

Kirby%20049.jpg

Kirby%20056.jpg

Kirby%20057.jpg

brain_stew said:
Nintendo have been make HD quality assets all generation on their first party stuff.

I'm not sure if they're looking ahead to porting them in HD to future platforms or what, but we see this with almost every Nintendo game that doesn't have 'Wii' in the title.

plagiarize said:
I'm not sure if they're looking ahead to porting them in HD to future platforms or what, but we see this with almost every Nintendo game that doesn't have 'Wii' in the title.
Mario Kart has Wii in the title.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Crunched said:
Is it just me or do those screens get really blurry at the bottom?
The do a sort of depth of field effect on the top and bottom of the screen in the game. You will notice it's present in every single screen.

Red

Stallion Free said:
The do a sort of depth of field effect on the top and bottom of the screen in the game. You will notice it's present in every single screen.
Yeah. May be personal preference, but I don't think it looks very good. Why add DOF on a flat surface?

Doesn't take away much from the impact, and I'm sure it looks much better in motion. I just think it's a strange choice.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Crunched said:
Yeah. May be personal preference, but I don't think it looks very good. Why add DOF on a flat surface?

Doesn't take away much from the impact, and I'm sure it looks much better in motion. I just think it's a strange choice.
It's hardly noticeable in motion as you don't even focus on those parts of the screen. I don't care for it either, but whatever, the devs made the decision.

Chairhome

Crunched said:

I think they're going for a tilt shift effect to make everything seem small.

KevinCow

Banned
I just went through this entire thread looking for some Metroid Prime 3 shots.

What the hell, guys. Nobody's done it? Someone needs to get some shots of Elysia.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
KevinCow said:
I just went through this entire thread looking for some Metroid Prime 3 shots.

What the hell, guys. Nobody's done it? Someone needs to get some shots of Elysia.
Hey, guess what, not every game is in a playable state. Or at a state where they are enjoyable to play.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
KevinCow said:
4 ghz processor, 720p.

It's not gonna translate well to screens. I generally play at 1080p w/ 4x SSAA and downsample further when posting the screens. Also, he still has the visual glitch that has been bothering me, a red tint around effects.

How are people getting their GC games to their pc? I have a massive stack ready to be dumped but I can't seem to find anything in the Homebrew Wiki.

I have the HB channel installed and ready, but according to post #7607, there isn't a way yet to dump them to a USB drive using the Wii.

Am I missing something?

vazel

Banned
MarkMclovin said:
How are people getting their GC games to their pc? I have a massive stack ready to be dumped but I can't seem to find anything in the Homebrew Wiki.

I have the HB channel installed and ready, but according to post #7607, there isn't a way yet to dump them to a USB drive using the Wii.

Am I missing something?
I use SuperDump it dumps to SD and USB.

Not sure if this is on topic here, but I was redirected from the homebrew thread.

Could someone help explain how to set up your wiimote as a controller for PC games? I'm not really talking about half-life, or halo, I'm more looking towards using in itn retro style games such as Super Mario Crossover, Super Crate Box etc--i.e., setting up the Wiimote as a 'gamepad'.

I know I'm supposed to download PPJoy and Glovepie, but I haven't been able to find a working link for glovepie and PPJoy had some trouble during installation (though I think it should work fine). I have however been able to link my Wiimote to my PC fine.

Anyone have any helpful tips/suggestions? I'd love to use my wiimote for flash games in general that use the "arrow keys, z and x' combo that has given my hands such terrible tendonitis over the years.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Type_Raver

Got some new parts for the PC thats arrived, love to try Fzero GX once again once its set up!

Im going from:

Intel Core 2 duo E6600
2GB DDR2 800
Ati 256Mb x1900xt
WinXP

to

Intel Core 2 extreme QX9650
4GB DDR2 1066
Ati 1Gb HD6870
Windows 7 64bit

Had trouble ripping my games, asked some friends to do it but no luck. Seems like only a very few DVD ROMs are capable.

Now, to try and get my wiimote to work with the PC and get some sort of sensor bar. Love to play my games in 1080p. Something like Goldeneye would really benefit!

So I start playing Kirby, and I beg my Glee-watching wife in to play from the next room.

"What the fuck is this?" (accustomed to walking in on NV the last couple of nights)

"It's Kirby, and it's awesome. You're a woman, I thought you would like this."

"No. I just don't get video games. This looks really stupid."

Well that's it people. If not this. Than nothing, I suppose.

But damn does this look mighty fine in 1080. Had to tweak it a little from the suggested settings, and I find it odd that this is the game making me happy I bought a 5850.

Also, my wife is not a bitch, just doesn't like to have games pushed on her during Glee. The cost of said 5850 might also be salt on the wound. Damn computer gaming.

Hey, do you guys think a 2.8GHZ Intel Core i5 760 might be enough to run Dolphin at decent speeds?

Had a Phenom X4 940 @ 3.4GHZ briefly, but it only got around to about 50% speed in Other: M.

riceandbeans said:
Hey, do you guys think a 2.8GHZ Intel Core i5 760 might be enough to run Dolphin at decent speeds?

Had a Phenom X4 940 @ 3.4GHZ briefly, but it only got around to about 50% speed in Other: M.

I just got a new laptop that has a Core i3 350M, and its able to run some games alright in windowed mode or low resolutions with the right settings. My problem seems to be the onboard graphics... the DVMT (dynamic video memory) is meant to scale to 1GB on it, but I've got a feeling Dolphin doesn't really know how to use it properly.

Does your machine have a dedicated GPU or is it onboard?

biggersmaller said:
So I start playing Kirby, and I beg my Glee-watching wife in to play from the next room.

"What the fuck is this?" (accustomed to walking in on NV the last couple of nights)

But damn does this look mighty fine in 1080. Had to tweak it a little from the suggested settings, and I find it odd that this is the game making me happy I bought a 5850.

Also, my wife is not a bitch, just doesn't like to have games pushed on her during Glee. The cost of said 5850 might also be salt on the wound. Damn computer gaming.

You're doing it wrong. The biggest plus of PC gaming is that your wife should be able to enjoy Glee while you play in your office/mancave on a bitching monitor.

Minsc

Gold Member
biggersmaller said:

Start calling her a gleek when you refer to her, imo it's worse than being called a nerd :lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Minsc said:
Start calling her a gleek when you refer to her, imo it's worse than being called a nerd :lol
Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with this.

Hopefully I will have some Goldeneye shots up tonight. The Dolphin forums are showing some promising results.

Red

Stallion Free said:
Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with this.

Hopefully I will have some Goldeneye shots up tonight. The Dolphin forums are showing some promising results.
I've been totally disinterested in the new one, so I never really thought about it before... but M&K+HD+AA may be a pretty good Goldeneye time.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I got a little sidetracked from Kirby and dug into the first level of Goldeneye. Runs quite well with minimal tweaking, people with i7's OC'd should do quite well with it. Here is the start of the slideshow:

Goldeneye Slideshow WIP

And here are some samples:

Dolphin%202010-11-04%2014-36-59-14.jpg

Dolphin%202010-11-04%2014-46-47-88.jpg

Dolphin%202010-11-04%2014-54-33-78.jpg

Dolphin%202010-11-04%2014-57-56-63.jpg

JADS

I got bored, found Another Code R in a bargaining bin at the local gamestore. So I am trying to play it through Dolphin instead of the Wii. Getting the game to run stable is proofing to be a bit of an exercise :lol

dolphin2010-11-0613-11jdol.jpg

dolphin2010-11-0613-291fd5.jpg

alf717

Is it me or does anyone else fell that Wii games were meant to be in HD. Usually when a game gets the HD treatment through emulation certain aspects look grainy (such as HUDs and text) but through this emu it is as if the games were meant to be in HD all a long. It is beautiful to say the least I just hope the next console can somehow upscale the older Wii games to look this good. Wishful thinking, I know, but still amazing if possible.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Pizza Luigi said:
Daniel Craig's model looks better in Goldeneye than in Bloodstone :lol
Well, it's much less detailed in Goldeneye, but it does look a bit more like him.

Top Bottom