• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Amneisac said:
So, just looking for pure conjecture here, do you guys think this kind of emulation would ever happen on a future Nintendo system? I mean, why not make the Wii2 play Wii games at an upscaled resolution? Would it just not have the power? Also, is there anyway to do this without fucking with the firmware on my Wii?

My exact thoughts. In fact I dont know why all of these systems dont do this. I mean they have the inside knowedlge and can make a better emulator for this as well. This way all console are future proof.

When you build your specs make sure it can "clean up" last gen..

Amneisac said:
So, just looking for pure conjecture here, do you guys think this kind of emulation would ever happen on a future Nintendo system? I mean, why not make the Wii2 play Wii games at an upscaled resolution? Would it just not have the power? Also, is there anyway to do this without fucking with the firmware on my Wii?

One does not even need a Wii to use Dolphin. If you want the wii menu, you've gotta fuck around if you want to do it without potentially breaking any laws.

I don't really see the point of having the Wii Menu on dolphin though.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Amneisac said:
No, not the the degree it is here. We already had this discussion, it is way too much effort for almost no real monetary return to the console manufacture. If you are lucky, they will sell Wii games/GC games on their next system like they do N64 games now but it will be an incredibly limited selection and won't have much effort put into them (16:9 where applicable, super-sampling).

And if they make too many changes to the hardware layout, they will have to do brute force software emulation as seen in Dolphin and that almost always require several times the power of the original system and is far from perfect. The original PS3 included parts from the PS2 to make emulation optimally, but later on they removed that part and switched over to mostly software based emulation and all of the sudden there were tons of issues. GC games on the other hand work almost perfectly on the Wii because the hardware architecture remained so similar and hasn't changed since release.

If I had to guess, the average PC emulating these games is probably 10-20 times more powerful than the Wii.

Upscale = native res stretched to fill higher-res btw.

TheExodu5

Banned
Stallion Free said:
At the minimum you should be able to play SSMB just fine.

Think I would be able to play NSMB?

I just modded my Wii last night and stuck NSMB on the hard drive using USB Loader (FAT32 file system). Will it be compatible with Dolphin, or does it need to be ripped another way?

edit: found out I can use Wii Backup Manager to convert my .wbfs files to .iso. Nice.

TheExodu5

Banned
Tried running NSMB Wii, with middling results.

Specs:

Q8300 @ 3.0GHz
GTX 275
4GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit

Running in a windowed mode at 720p, I get around 60% speed. Turning SSAA on and on really doesn't have a performance hit at all.

My cores are running at about 50-60% each, and my GTX 275 is at around 30% load, so there's a ton of untapped potential in my hardware. I tried enabling various settings/hacks, but to no avail.

Any suggestions?

DonMigs85

TheExodu5 said:

Specs:

Q8300 @ 3.0GHz
GTX 275
4GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit

Running in a windowed mode at 720p, I get around 60% speed. Turning SSAA on and on really doesn't have a performance hit at all.

My cores are running at about 50-60% each, and my GTX 275 is at around 30% load, so there's a ton of untapped potential in my hardware. I tried enabling various settings/hacks, but to no avail.

Any suggestions?
Yeah, is there a way to increase the priority level for Dolphin?

Risible

Playing Wii games on my PC has been amazing. They look so ridiculously better, it's like I got an HD Wii. The difference between playing Kirby on my Wii and my PC is night and day.

JADS

soniccolourwaterjdu1.jpg

soniccoloursfirstlevel0hd2.jpg

For those that have missed my post in the OT:
1080P video of the first Planet Wisp level

Question, can this Dolphin emulator run games from the dvd drive or does it involve dumping the game first like most top end emulators seem to require? I know there's some buggy faults with colours but I am seriously tempted to buy it if I can just plunk it into my dvd drive and play it 720p

starskyj

TheExodu5 said:

Specs:

Q8300 @ 3.0GHz
GTX 275
4GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit

Any suggestions?

Hmm, I think you should be able to get better performance than that.

My specs are below and I get 60fps most of the time in 1080p 4xSSAA.

Specs:
Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.13GHz
GTX 260
4GB Ram
Windows 7 64-bit

Did you set EFB copy to texture? That should speed it up.

JADS

Zomba13 said:
Do want Sonic Colours. Might pick it up on the weekend. I take it it runs fine on Dolphin?

Sadly no. The game has some major issues that need to be fixed before it's fully playable. First of all the Spikes Wisp can crash the emulator when using it. It seems to happen whenever you touch a breakable block or just dash with the Spike Whisp. Secondly it's a really demanding game. My i7 860 @3.5ghz has trouble keeping a steady framerate in some scenes.

Diablohead said:
Question, can this Dolphin emulator run games from the dvd drive or does it involve dumping the game first like most top end emulators seem to require? I know there's some buggy faults with colours but I am seriously tempted to buy it if I can just plunk it into my dvd drive and play it 720p

Unless you have a specific DVD drive, you will need a softmodded Wi to dump your games.

Nabs

The Metroid Other M black screen problem is gone with the latest revision.

TheExodu5 said:

Specs:

Q8300 @ 3.0GHz
GTX 275
4GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit

Any suggestions?
What version of Dolphin are you using? And what are your settings?

TheExodu5

Banned
Nabs said:
The Metroid Other M black screen problem is gone with the latest revision.

What version of Dolphin are you using? And what are your settings?

Latest version...last night's build I think.

I didn't have the EFB to texture memory or whatever...I set that and it helped a ton. Still can't really manage a constant 60fps at 1080p and 4x SSAA, but close.

Platy

Beautiful those sonic screens ... specialy the japan themed ones !

So ... crap hud and no "omfg nintendo totaly didn't planned/said enything to sega about those games with a wii2 in mind" ? xD

Nabs

TheExodu5 said:
Latest version...last night's build I think.

I didn't have the EFB to texture memory or whatever...I set that and it helped a ton. Still can't really manage a constant 60fps at 1080p and 4x SSAA, but close.

try to disable audio throttling in the dsp menu

don't lock dolphin to cores

give dlist cache a try

if the game ever feels sluggish, try open gl. if you noticing tearing, turn on vsync.

thundr51

Pretty excited! Managed to run PN03 @ 1920x1080 with 9xSSAA and looked GREAT:D
Thanks for the settings! Anybody know if there are settings for Tatsunoko or Soul Calibur2?

TheExodu5

Banned
Kyleripman said:
I can't wait to see this thread in a week when DKCR is out.

I really, really hope it works well with DKCR. I hate the fact that the game doesn't support the Classic Controller out of the box, but at least Dolphin will let me set things up nicely.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
hi i am a total noob, and maybe a tool:lol but i was wondering even thought its not recommended but is it fine to play my wii games with keyboard+mouse?

Bossniak

Great screens!

I really want to try this out and enjoy it in 1080p on my PC but dolphin on my native resoution rins like crap. I have a AMD CPU (6000+). Are AMD CPU good with dolphin? Or should I get and Intel?

After checking out this awesome thread, i have come to the conclusion that Wind Waker is still the best looking Gamecube/Wii game. I would love to have a HD Wind Waker remake with the extra dungeons. Just no motion controls please. :lol

Top Bottom