• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

sam27368

Banned
Vega$ said:
Obviously you guys are missing the point. There may be some people who take the time to rip a game, and play it on their emulator. But the majority of them does not, and i am sure i am right about this. :lol To be honest, and i hope i don't get banned for saying this. But i have a gamecube emulator with about 50 games, and those same games which i have, i download and play on my emulator.

Only because i do not own a Video Capture device at the moment and i do not know how to rip games , neither do i want to learn.

It took me a year to get approved because idiots like you were in the que already, at least I had the decency to understand how GAF works. This thread is about running Dolphin, it's not a place for your opinions on piracy or the current state of the gaming economy. gtfo.

Platy

Vega$ said:
Only because i do not own a Video Capture device at the moment and i do not know how to rip games , neither do i want to learn.

How would you use a VIDEO capture device to RIP A GAME ?

caliblue15 said:
Quoted for the new page ...

Also, i love how some of those thumbs looks like a continuation of others

LegoDad

Platy said:
How would you use a VIDEO capture device to RIP A GAME ?

Quoted for the new page ...

Also, i love how some of those thumbs looks like a continuation of others

I screenshot the entire level as I play it. The upload service messed up the screenshots perfectly in a row. I can also set it up to do it every XX seconds. Prolly would have been easier on that level instead of pressing the Num + key.

Haunted

Vega$ said:
Obviously you guys are missing the point. There may be some people who take the time to rip a game, and play it on their emulator. But the majority of them does not, and i am sure i am right about this. :lol To be honest, and i hope i don't get banned for saying this. But i have a gamecube emulator with about 50 games, and those same games which i have, i download and play on my emulator.

gg man, gg.

Caliblue, those screens are simply gorgeous. Thanks so much for going through the trouble of re-uploading all of them. The art of this game really is gorgeous.

Platy

Huge fight and then i finaly convinced a friend to buy DKCR !!!! =D

...but he said that the game is "ugly" and "bla blah blah 1080p ps3 rox wii sux" =P

So ... he has this

Product Description: Apple iMac Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz - 24" TFT

Type: Personal computer
Form Factor: All-in-one
Dimensions (WxDxH): 56.9 cm x 20.7 cm x 52 cm
Weight: 11.5 kg
Processor: 1 x Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz ( Dual-Core )
Cache Memory: 6 MB L2 Cache
Cache Per Processor: 6 MB
RAM: 4 GB - DDR2 SDRAM - 800 MHz - PC2-6400

Storage Controller: Serial ATA ( Serial ATA-300 )
Hard Drive: 1 x 320 GB - standard - Serial ATA-300
Optical Storage: DVD±RW (±R DL)
Monitor: LCD display - 24" - TFT active matrix - 1920 x 1200
Graphics Controller: PCI Express x16 - ATI Radeon HD 2600PRO
Video Memory: 256 MB GDDR3 SDRAM

Camera: Integrated
Audio Output: Sound card - stereo
Networking: Network adapter - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n (draft), Bluetooth 2.1 EDR
Power: AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )
OS Provided: Apple MacOS X 10.5
Environmental Standards: ENERGY STAR Qualified , EPEAT Silver
Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year warranty

Any chance of running DKCR in a good quality ?

sam27368

Banned
Can someone help me?
I'm playing DKC, the menu works fine, I start a new game and as soon as I do that and the opening video clip plays the sounds goes to a horrible high pitched beeping.

The game engine audio works fine it just appears to be when the audio is streaming from a video, has anyone had similar problems?

I'm running -
CPU: Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz @ 4.00GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage II Extreme (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard
RAM: Corsair XMS3 (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Triple Channel
2x (for SLI) EVGA GeForce GTX 570 1280MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

I'm currently using the default audio settings, when I change to the LLE plugin I get all sorts of errors, my sound is coming out of an optical cable through the supremeFX X-Fi audio card that came with the MoBo.

Schlomo

sam27368 said:
Can someone help me?
I'm playing DKC, the menu works fine, I start a new game and as soon as I do that and the opening video clip plays the sounds goes to a horrible high pitched beeping.

I had that same issue when I first started the game in Dolphin, but didn't encounter it ever again. Now I can watch the intro, albeit with garbled colors. Try changing between DSound and X-something. Or just mute the sound during the intro and try again later.

Oh yeah, what does still happen is the sound breaking at the start of a level, but that can easily be amended by pressing HOME twice.

TheExodu5

Banned
Vega$ said:

Although I am talking to a lost soul, let me just say that with Wii soft modding, there is no excuse when it comes to ripping games. It's ridiculously easy.

BigAT

So now that I finally have a capable PC, I'm looking to give this a try. However, even after looking through the Homebrew thread listed in the OP, I am unable to find the method on how to rip my Wii games to my PC. Could anyone directly link me the information?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Platy said:

...but he said that the game is "ugly" and "bla blah blah 1080p ps3 rox wii sux" =P

So ... he has this

Product Description: Apple
Nope

TL4E

My GC malfunctioned recently and I decided to give this a go. It's fantastic, PMTTYD looks great and the widescreen mode works very smoothly (except during pseudo-widescreen cutscenes, but that's hardly an issue).

sam27368

Banned
Super Mario Galaxy 2 keeps giving me this error - any ideas?

8Z6v4.jpg

Nabs

no clue. try using the dx9 plugin instead of dx11

sam27368 said:
Can someone help me?

The game engine audio works fine it just appears to be when the audio is streaming from a video, has anyone had similar problems?

I'm running -
CPU: Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz @ 4.00GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage II Extreme (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard
RAM: Corsair XMS3 (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Triple Channel
2x (for SLI) EVGA GeForce GTX 570 1280MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

I'm currently using the default audio settings, when I change to the LLE plugin I get all sorts of errors, my sound is coming out of an optical cable through the supremeFX X-Fi audio card that came with the MoBo.

in the audio options (dsp settings), switch to xaudio2. it will fix a large number of the audio problems with dkcr. i don't know if it will help with the opening video, i haven't started a new game since i first got it.

BigAT said:
So now that I finally have a capable PC, I'm looking to give this a try. However, even after looking through the Homebrew thread listed in the OP, I am unable to find the method on how to rip my Wii games to my PC. Could anyone directly link me the information?

The homebrew wiki has plenty of pages on USB loaders. It takes a few minutes to rip games to your external drive, and a few more to bring it over to your PC.

I gotta say this Emulator is smooth, and has got me buying Wii games again. Either Nintendo told devs that all games must be upscalable for a future HD Wii, or this emulator is just that good.

So with that praise comes an issue: I'm using a DualShock2 for controlling Mario Galaxy 2 via MotionJoy. Using the right stick as an IR sensor, I have had no issues with using the pointer with Yoshi, except about a week ago the red dot stopped locking on to items. The issue is only with Yoshi. In-game menu IR functionality works, just not Yoshi.

Used multiple builds, multiple controllers, and restarted etc. Anyone else have this issue?

i7, 5850, Win764.

TheExodu5

Banned
BigAT said:
I use Wii Backup Manager to transfer the files. I also set USB loader to use FAT32, since WBFS is no longer needed.

bee

Super Mario Galaxy 1080p 4xaa 16xaf, i5 2500k@stock, some random sse 4.2 build

mariowtz3.jpg

:D but no it doesn't run at that speed all the time, it's close though apart from some complex scenes, maybe with 4.5ghz or so but im waiting on a cooler

I finally got the Wii upscaler from VDigi, and after extensive menu adjustments, the result is actually pretty good!

It's not a jaggy killer, but the trick is that you kill your TV's sharpness, while normally it'd make the screen blurry, on this the picture's still crisp and the jaggies are reduced. :D

I have it on 1080p "downscaled" (1366x768 set that supports 1080p and adjusts the pixels). I don't think I can do better than that, 720p would have to be slightly upscaled further by the TV and 1080i is interlaced, so I'm surely getting the best setting here. :p

The benefit of the Black Level on HDMI is great as is the Just Scan feature (wonder if it'll make it pixel-by-pixel native res if I set it to 480p? Probably not).

I say it was worth it, only MINOR thing is that when I selected a cutscene to view in Sonic Colors, I noticed that the screen did that resolution thing where you see green and purple lines for a split second, the screen came back a hair after the cutscene started, so the game was unaffected. That's good. I just wonder if this is like an auto recalibration thing. It also showed a green screen for just as quick when I created a Chao file in SADX after it was made before I went into the garden.

I'm sure this is a normal thing for it, considering it's one of a kind rarity (only Vdigi makes them) and thus isn't by companies like Nyko, Mad Catz, etec. You can't expect utter perfection.

Plus how'd I get a refund anyway? It was a mail order and I don't think Vdigi allows it. Maybe, maybe not.

Medalion

Banned
Hero of Legend said:
I finally got the Wii upscaler from VDigi, and after extensive menu adjustments, the result is actually pretty good!

It's not a jaggy killer, but the trick is that you kill your TV's sharpness, while normally it'd make the screen blurry, on this the picture's still crisp and the jaggies are reduced. :D

I have it on 1080p "downscaled" (1366x768 set that supports 1080p and adjusts the pixels). I don't think I can do better than that, 720p would have to be slightly upscaled further by the TV and 1080i is interlaced, so I'm surely getting the best setting here. :p

The benefit of the Black Level on HDMI is great as is the Just Scan feature (wonder if it'll make it pixel-by-pixel native res if I set it to 480p? Probably not).

I say it was worth it, only MINOR thing is that when I selected a cutscene to view in Sonic Colors, I noticed that the screen did that resolution thing where you see green and purple lines for a split second, the screen came back a hair after the cutscene started, so the game was unaffected. That's good. I just wonder if this is like an auto recalibration thing. It also showed a green screen for just as quick when I created a Chao file in SADX after it was made before I went into the garden.

I'm sure this is a normal thing for it, considering it's one of a kind rarity (only Vdigi makes them) and thus isn't by companies like Nyko, Mad Catz, etec. You can't expect utter perfection.

Plus how'd I get a refund anyway? It was a mail order and I don't think Vdigi allows it. Maybe, maybe not.
I've always been curious how the Wii upscaler would look on an HDTV, can you get some pics or footage?

Medalion said:
I've always been curious how the Wii upscaler would look on an HDTV, can you get some pics or footage?

Wish I could, I could try a DVD recorder, but those are like over $100. I have zero clue of how to screengrab from my TV.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hero of Legend said:

I own one of these as well and went back to component. The reason? The image came through much darker than it should have been. My receiver does not play nicely with the Wii, it seems. When I feed it HDMI or composite from the Wii, the image produced is much darker. This is a problem, of course, for darker games.

With component, however, the image is of proper brightness. I'm not yet sure WHY this occurs or what the Wii is doing that would cause it, but alas, that's what happens. This behavior is only present on the Wii so it's clearly an issue with something the system is doing.

The image quality isn't really much better either. My receiver already handles upscaling very well so the component image looks almost exactly the same (other than the brightness difference).

Teknoman

Platy said:

But...the game isnt even ugly when running on an actual Wii @ 480p :(

Kujo

Question about Super Mario Galaxy - A lot of the Dolphin screens have that sort of checkered look in the sky, is that how the real game looks like or is that a bug?

Haunted

Anyone want to give Lost in Shadows a whirl? A much higher resolution should eliminate most of the shadow flickering and jagginess that plagues the game.

JADS

Haunted said:
Anyone want to give Lost in Shadows a whirl? A much higher resolution should eliminate most of the shadow flickering and jagginess that plagues the game.

EFB to texture and thus scaled copy is sadly broken in that game. Graphics are upscaled from their native resolution and don't look that hot.

ector

Neo Member
Mojo said:
Question about Super Mario Galaxy - A lot of the Dolphin screens have that sort of checkered look in the sky, is that how the real game looks like or is that a bug?

Not a bug, it's how the real game looks. It's a technique to reduce banding artifacts.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
ector said:
Not a bug, it's how the real game looks. It's a technique to reduce banding artifacts.
I thought it to be more of a stylistic choice than any sort of technique for improving image quality.

Has anybody tried out dolphin with a core i7 2600? I'm curious if the stock clocks with 3.8GHz turbo would be enough to run most games at 60fps.

Durante

TouchMyBox said:
Has anybody tried out dolphin with a core i7 2600? I'm curious if the stock clocks with 3.8GHz turbo would be enough to run most games at 60fps.
I haven't tried it but I assume so. Dolphin only uses 2 cores so it should turbo up pretty far with adequate cooling, and all games I have tried already run at 60 locked on my 3.7 GHz first-gen i7. This is different if you want to use the LLE dsp plugin though.

desu

bee said:
Super Mario Galaxy 1080p 4xaa 16xaf, i5 2500k@stock, some random sse 4.2 build

:D but no it doesn't run at that speed all the time, it's close though apart from some complex scenes, maybe with 4.5ghz or so but im waiting on a cooler

Whats the the lowest fps you have experienced so far @stock?

What is the best/fastest of the DVD drives? I have a 8161B, but the damn thing isn't working in my old enclosure. I'm thinking about buying the compatible laptop in an enclosure, but wasn't sure if it was faster or slower than the one I have.

Loam

Been following this thread for awhile now, and after seeing all the really nice HD shots pop up in random places I've decided I'm willing to put the time and effort into getting dolphin set up and running. Now I wasn't really thrilled with the idea of soft modding my console simply to backup games. For someone not all that interested in the wii homebrew scene the trouble of having to worry about on disk firmware updates and potential bricking didn't really seem worth the hassle in my mind. A quick Google search however revealed that there are a few programs out there that allow you to simply pop the disk into your PC and dump the data, yet I've never seen this method talked about here. I will admit to not having read every single post, but is there a reason for this? Is one way somehow superior to the other?

Datschge said:
Only very specific DVD drives that are no longer manufactured afaik can read GC/Wii disks, that's why.
I realized I had one of the specific drives and I decided to try and rip a game to play on Dolphin. Anyway, the thing is going to take 2 hours to finish. Is that the best the DVD drives can do? Is the only other way to soft-mod the Wii?

I finally understand what 1080p upscalers do specifically.

To put it simply, it makes the picture clearer/sharper, it doesn't really fix jaggies really, the reason why DVD's look so good on them is because they don't really have jaggies, so you just get the clearer picture, so you wouldn't know what it does with jaggies really. For the Wii, since you have jaggies to work with, you get the cleaner picture, but you have to do some tricks to make the jaggies at least less noticeable, they're not reduced.

As I said before, you have to kill the sharpness, having it on it's usual setting makes jaggies more noticeable (white line syndrome I believe), but because of the 480p signal being pretty far from 1080i/1080p, the picture is overall blurry, and killing the sharpness under normal circumstances makes it blurry as shit, so it's not worth it.

But killing the sharpness in 1080p upscaled, allows you to keep the nice sharp picture, but blurs the lines shall we say to make the jaggies less apparent. jaggies otherwise aren't impacted by the upscaling alone.

So I can see why Nintendo didn't both and will not bother with a 1080p Upscaling Wii, most may not care for the difference as it's not as obvious with DVDs, but both give you the exact same benefit, you just just jaggies on the Wii (and other consoles sure) and not on DVDs, so no worries for DVDs. See what I' saying?

Ledsen

Hero of Legend: Sharpness should always be at 0 on your TV to get the correct picture. Anything else is just adding artificial filters.

Ledsen said:
Hero of Legend: Sharpness should always be at 0 on your TV to get the correct picture. Anything else is just adding artificial filters.

As I said, having the sharpness at 0 at normal 480p just makes the picture ridiculously blurry.

vazel

Banned
With Panasonic displays at least sharpness setting of 50 is the neutral setting. Setting it lower would make it blurrier.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hey, is there anything I could adjust if a FMV cut scene in a game is going really slowly? I want to see how well Mega Man Network Transmission would be, but the cut scene is taking forever (And is unskippable), I am getting a 60FPS reading but the scene looks more like its going at 1FPS.

Edit: Turned off the sound, waited 25 minutes for the full cut scene to roll, and the game locked up. Looks like I am not playing that game today.

bee

this emulator is liking my 2500k@4.4ghz :D i don't have many games but all gamecube games run 1080p, 4xaa, 16xaf @ 60fps and even super mario galaxy runs 99% of the time at 60, lowest i've seen it drop was when you fly and land in the galaxy, when it dropped to 57 :D these chips are awesome

Top Bottom