• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
whitehawk said:
What settings are you using to get rid of the graphical glitches?
Using an older build (r7718 in this case) and D3D11 for the graphics backend gets rid of graphical glitches for me.

whitehawk

Banned
I'll try that build later. For now, it still looks amazing. I took a shot that I think is spoiler less. Amazing. And the game runs at a solid 30FPS at 1080p for me in all 3 modes. Looks like I'll be playing this game on Dolphin. Perhaps I'll even hook up my iMac to my HDTV.

L2IoU.png

tsab

Anyone with the same specs as mine can confirm acceptable framerates? I get 15-25fps.

Intel Q9300, stock clock 2.5GHz, 4 Cores
GT460 1GB Ram Gigabyte Superclocked.
8GB Ram

I get some glitches though. I will try thoraxes settings when I get home.
Those HD pics you guys posted makes me wanna buy a new pc to play Skyward Sword and Mario Galaxy in HD

edit:someone with the same cpu family of mine (q9400 etc)

Red

Whitehawk, it looks even better with AA.

It's one of the best looking games on Dolphin, that's for sure. The added horsepower really kicks it up a notch. Reminds me of the kind of improvements Wind Waker saw.

Okay so I've been putting off setting up Dolphin on my rig for a long time. I think I need to makes this happen for Skyward sword. I intend to read through the entire OP and see everything I need to do before I start asking for help, but before I do that can someone give me a rundown on what I should expect as far as how difficult/how long it would take to get it all set up and working?

Edit: Probably a stupid question, but the OP specifies "a dual core." I'm assuming that's minimum? I have an i7, I just want to make sure that it doesn't actually require a dual core and is for some reason not compatible with anything other than that.

ss_lemonade

Crunched said:

It's one of the best looking games on Dolphin, that's for sure. The added horsepower really kicks it up a notch. Reminds me of the kind of improvements Wind Waker saw.
I can't even run the title screen at 30 fps when enabling AA (2500k + 6970 here, so I should be good in the hardware department). Only tried dx9 though

Dascu

MisterAnderson said:
Okay so I've been putting off setting up Dolphin on my rig for a long time. I think I need to makes this happen for Skyward sword. I intend to read through the entire OP and see everything I need to do before I start asking for help, but before I do that can someone give me a rundown on what I should expect as far as how difficult/how long it would take to get it all set up and working?

Edit: Probably a stupid question, but the OP specifies "a dual core." I'm assuming that's minimum? I have an i7, I just want to make sure that it doesn't actually require a dual core and is for some reason not compatible with anything other than that.
Dolphin is one of the easiest, most user-friendly emulators I have ever used. Shouldn't take long to set it up at all. For Skyward Sword though, you will need to hook up your Wiimote (with Motion+) to your PC via bluetooth. A (wireless) sensor bar is useful, but not required.

And an i7 would mean that you'll have no problems running the game at fullspeed either.

Thoraxes

MisterAnderson said:

Not too long if you peruse my settings for the game. I'm going to do updates on which builds work best when the full game releases, with working config shots too. So far, as a starting point, I would check out my settings that have been posted a few times int these last couple pages.

As for your processor question, yeah, it's basically the minimum. More is always better, and if a process is only made to run on two cores, your other ones will be free anyways. You are more than fine with your i7.

Thrakier

tsab said:
Anyone with the same specs as mine can confirm acceptable framerates? I get 15-25fps.

Intel Q9300, stock clock 2.5GHz, 4 Cores
GT460 1GB Ram Gigabyte Superclocked.
8GB Ram

I get some glitches though. I will try thoraxes settings when I get home.
Those HD pics you guys posted makes me wanna buy a new pc to play Skyward Sword and Mario Galaxy in HD

edit:someone with the same cpu family of mine (q9400 etc)

Your CPU is too slow. You could try to OC it.

Red

georaldc said:
I can't even run the title screen at 30 fps when enabling AA (2500k + 6970 here, so I should be good in the hardware department). Only tried dx9 though
I have an i7 920 and a 5870, and am getting full speed (need to fps limit to keep it down) with 8x AA.

Use Thoraxes' config.

That's at 4x internal res. Seriously it runs beyond perfectly.

The watercolor effect might look better at 8xAA and leaving the internal res set to window size. Haven't done side by side comparisons, but that's how it seems to me.

Actually this only seems to be true for Skyloft. Other areas definitely look better at higher internal res.

whitehawk

Banned
Crunched said:

My iMac can't run too many games with AA. It does fine at 1080p for most games, but even 2xaa slows it down a lot.

Red

whitehawk said:
My iMac can't run too many games with AA. It does fine at 1080p for most games, but even 2xaa slows it down a lot.
Try Thoraxes' build and settings. See if you get lucky.

Either way, you can't go wrong with 1920x1080.

whitehawk said:
Just tested this with smash bros.

2xAA at 1080p = 30fps
2xAA at 720p = 60fps

I'd rather take 1080p at 60fps with no AA though.

Just curious - I'm going to try to run Dolphin on my iMac (high end 2011 21.5"). What are your settings and which build are you running?

whitehawk

Banned
JLateralus said:
Just curious - I'm going to try to run Dolphin on my iMac (high end 2011 21.5"). What are your settings and which build are you running?
Even at default settings you should be fine. I have the low end 2011 21.5" model. And I'm running the stable release of 3.0. Other newer version seems to crash too much for me. Also some of the newer version don't recognize controllers properly. For example the newest build won't recognize my Wii Motion+. And when playing sonic colours, it will think I'm using the classic controller, even though I'm not...

I haven't changed too many settings. Just use Theoraxes settings.

ss_lemonade

Crunched said:
I have an i7 920 and a 5870, and am getting full speed (need to fps limit to keep it down) with 8x AA.

Use Thoraxes' config.

That's at 4x internal res. Seriously it runs beyond perfectly.

The watercolor effect might look better at 8xAA and leaving the internal res set to window size. Haven't done side by side comparisons, but that's how it seems to me.

Actually this only seems to be true for Skyloft. Other areas definitely look better at higher internal res.
Will do, thanks for the tip. I was using 7671 earlier (later/newer builds run even worse), lets see if things improve with 7719

EDIT:
I see, so disabling efb to ram seems to do the trick. It now runs pretty much perfectly at dx11 4x res, 8xAA quality16 ^^

Tendo

Can anyone link me to a reliable and cheap Bluetooth adapter I can use with my wii remote and motion plus? Someday I'd like to replay Mario Galaxy and SS on my pc with the remote but looking online it seems some adapters don't work?

Tendo said:
Can anyone link me to a reliable and cheap Bluetooth adapter I can use with my wii remote and motion plus? Someday I'd like to replay Mario Galaxy and SS on my pc with the remote but looking online it seems some adapters don't work?

I use this one, and I've had no issues using the Wiimote and its accessories in Dolphin.

orioto

Good Art™
I'm really sorry if the problem has been addressed already but, what if my computer (Q9400, 2,66ghz - 4gb ram - geforce 9500 GT, 512 mb) runs dolphin slowly, but without being able to have auto frameskip ?

It's like even if i lower the resolution and AA and such, it's always half the speed of the original game.

orioto said:
I'm really sorry if the problem has been addressed already but, what if my computer (Q9400, 2,66ghz - 4gb ram - geforce 9500 GT, 512 mb) runs dolphin slowly, but without being able to have auto frameskip ?

It's like even if i lower the resolution and AA and such, it's always half the speed of the original game.
If it's always exactly half speed then you probably have vsync enabled, so you can improve your framerate a bit by turning it off -- but your rig isn't powerful enough to run most games at full speed anyways.

Seik

Banned
Holy shit those screens of SMG2 are beautiful!

I wonder how good Rayman Origins will look on Dolphin! For some obscure reasons I want the Wii version more since I always played the Rayman games on Nintendo's consoles, Rayman on GBA, Rayman 2 on N64 and Rayman 3 on GC. I tried the demo and it is DELICIOUS! :D

whitehawk

Banned
Seik said:
Holy shit those screens of SMG2 are beautiful!

I wonder how good Rayman Origins will look on Dolphin! For some obscure reasons I want the Wii version more since I always played the Rayman games on Nintendo's consoles, Rayman on GBA, Rayman 2 on N64 and Rayman 3 on GC. I tried the demo and it is DELICIOUS! :D
Probably won't look very good since all the assets are 2D.

orioto

Good Art™
nincompoop said:
If it's always exactly half speed then you probably have vsync enabled, so you can improve your framerate a bit by turning it off -- but your rig isn't powerful enough to run most games at full speed anyways.

The weird thing is that for exemple i tried Donkey Kong and it was the same speed (maybe 25 fps) regardless of my configuration, AA, no AA, 1080p, 720p... Shouldn't be dependent of the resolution of the buffer if there is a power problem ?

snesfreak said:
$400!?
Good LORD that's a lotta money!

Well, remember that a 400$ PC can also play...well, PC games. And emulate almost every console that came before the Wii. And it's also a PC, so you can do work on it.

orioto said:
The weird thing is that for exemple i tried Donkey Kong and it was the same speed (maybe 25 fps) regardless of my configuration, AA, no AA, 1080p, 720p... Shouldn't be dependent of the resolution of the buffer if there is a power problem ?
Not if you have vsync enabled, if your computer can't run it at full speed then the speed/framerate will be cut in half to prevent screen tearing.
Medalion said:
I wouldn't get my hopes up... Nintendo are not known for pushing graphics on their systems like other parties do
wat
Medalion said:
Perhaps... but those took till the near end of the system's life to come out

And this will be Nintendo's first foray into HD territory, so it may take a few tries to reach the quality of what we're seeing there in those Dolphin shots
WAT

Medalion

Banned
disap.ed said:
Galaxy (2) and Zelda say you're wrong

And this will be Nintendo's first foray into HD territory, so it may take a few tries to reach the quality of what we're seeing there in those Dolphin shots

Anth0ny

Medalion said:
I wouldn't get my hopes up... Nintendo are not known for pushing graphics on their systems like other parties do

If they made Mario Galaxy 3 or Wind Waker 2 with assets from the previous games in the series, but at 1080p, they would be the best looking games of the gen.

yeah I just said that.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Medalion said:

It's literally a Wii game with higher resolution. There is no doubt Nintendo can do at least that right off the bat. That's like saying Naughty Dog could only pull off Jak & Daxter-quality graphics for the PS3 at first.

Top Bottom