• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

dark10x said:
Eh, that really doesn't look good at all. Some bits of the scenery are decently clear, but it has a very mixed appearance with half of the scene appearing rather pixelated. Only the active bits are sharp, the rest of the scenery is pretty bad.

Much better to stick with the 360/PS3 versions of the game for proper 1080p support.
Can you post a screenshot from the same area from one of the other versions to compare? I want to see if it's worth it for me to pick up the Wii version from the Gamestop sale or if I should just wait for them to release it on PC.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
nincompoop said:
Can you post a screenshot from the same area from one of the other versions to compare? I want to see if it's worth it for me to pick up the Wii version from the Gamestop sale or if I should just wait for them to release it on PC.
Didn't realize this is also getting a PC verison, but if so, you should definitely go for that version.

Can't find a shot from that exact location, but this is reasonably similar. This is what you get on the PS3 and 360 (as well as, eventually, the PC version).

Still, looking at some of the other Dolphin shots, I'm impressed with how good it actually looks. There is no logical reason to buy the Wii version over the other console versions or the PC version, but it's fascinating that it can look that good.

ro_screenshot_pyramidteam.jpg

StevieP

Banned
dark10x said:
Didn't realize this is also getting a PC verison, but if so, you should definitely go for that version.

Can't find a shot from that exact location, but this is reasonably similar. This is what you get on the PS3 and 360 (as well as, eventually, the PC version).

The vector graphics actually look sharper on the Dolphin emulated version, but literally everything else looks a lot better. When is the PC version coming out? I'm down for a day 1 purchase there.

I don't know if a PC version is going to come out or not. I'm just trying to figure if I should wait for one to come out so that I can play it with the best possible graphics, or settle for playing the less-impressive Wii version on Dolphin now.

dark10x

nincompoop said:
I don't know if a PC version is going to come out or not. I'm just trying to figure if I should wait for one to come out so that I can play it with the best possible graphics, or settle for playing the less-impressive Wii version on Dolphin now.
Do you not own any other consoles then? I'd argue to play it now as 1) it's an amazing game and 2) it needs as much support as it can get.

[Nintex]

Santerestil said:
It seems a doorknocker like this, but only with an half of ring:

What the hell they were thinking when textured this game...
I still believe Nintendo fired all the Zelda environment texture artists after The Wind Waker shipped and I have yet to see proof that I'm wrong.

Thrakier

Damn, is there anyone out there who can emulate SMG2 @100% all the time with LLE? I oced my i5 to 4,2 and I still get hefty framedrops on busy scenes like the first endboss...

Thrakier said:
Damn, is there anyone out there who can emulate SMG2 @100% all the time with LLE? I oced my i5 to 4,2 and I still get hefty framedrops on busy scenes like the first endboss...
I would love to know if someone like that exists.

And in general, is Super Mario Galaxy 2 the game that taxes Dolphin the most?

Azar

Thrakier said:
I'm about 95% stable on rev. 7719 with the i5 around that speed. Locked LLE to core, 4x resolution, 16x filtering, no AA. Rarely get any slowdown.

Red

Azar said:
I'm about 95% stable on rev. 7719 with the i5 around that speed. Locked LLE to core, 4x resolution, 16x filtering, no AA. Rarely get any slowdown.
Can you post any other settings? EFB copies, D3D9 or 11, etc

Zimbardo

so does the new Zelda game work pretty much perfect on Dolphin? like, say as good as Xenoblade?

looks good in the pics here from what i can tell.

how about the controls? can it be played fine with the keyboard/mouse, etc? or do u need the bluetooth, etc and have to hook up the wii motion plus?

Red

I haven't played Xenoblade, but SS runs without any issue. I'm assuming performance based on the demo. It runs incredibly well.

M+ is required.

Chairhome

Crunched said:
I haven't played Xenoblade, but SS runs without any issue. I'm assuming performance based on the demo. It runs incredibly well.

M+ is required.
I think he's asking cause it looks like felipepl is playing the full version. I'm curious to see if it plays as good/better on the full version, too! The demo played very well with only a few hiccups (I had to keep re-centering my M+).

That first shot looks badass.

Ydahs

If I could get Xenoblade running at around 20-25 fps on my PC, would I be able to get Zelda running at 30fps? Doesn't seem as taxing from the looks of it.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Alright; that's it, I'm going for it. I love my Wii, but games look like utter crap when playing on my 40" HDLCD... just... awful.

Never bothered with this before, but it seems my LE Red Mario Wii should be just fine ripping games. I already have a Motion+ and a wireless sensor bar. It seems I need a USB Bluetooth adapter for my PC. Best place to get one at a B&M store?

Honestly; how long should this take to setup? Am I looking at 45 minutes of my time, and voila! I'm playing games in 1080p? Or should I expect a day or so of troubleshooting?

I'm running:

i7 930 @ 3.4
GTX 570 OC'd
12GB RAM
300GB VR drive

From the looks of it, I should be fine...

Those Skyward Sword screens are just incredible.

Thrakier

Azar said:

Hm, ok, no AA but that's like...I don't know. I run 2xres with 4xSSAA. Where can I download the revision you are using? I said I'm around 90% stable but it depends on the game. In busy scenes the frames drops. The framedrop isn't bad but the problem is that the music gets distorted than as well an dthat's the real bummer...I don't want to oc my CPU any further, 4.2 should be enough...

EDIT:

Could you please tell me how you perform on the first endboss in the first bowser castle?

x3sphere

Skel1ingt0n said:
Alright; that's it, I'm going for it. I love my Wii, but games look like utter crap when playing on my 40" HDLCD... just... awful.

Never bothered with this before, but it seems my LE Red Mario Wii should be just fine ripping games. I already have a Motion+ and a wireless sensor bar. It seems I need a USB Bluetooth adapter for my PC. Best place to get one at a B&M store?

Honestly; how long should this take to setup? Am I looking at 45 minutes of my time, and voila! I'm playing games in 1080p? Or should I expect a day or so of troubleshooting?

I'm running:

i7 930 @ 3.4
GTX 570 OC'd
12GB RAM
300GB VR drive

From the looks of it, I should be fine...

Those Skyward Sword screens are just incredible.

Similar specs to my rig so yeah, I have an i7 920 at 3.1 and HD6970. For the Bluetooth adapter, I use this one...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D8CCYK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Works under Windows 7 *without* having to install additional driver software. Plug and play. I've had no connection problems either and MP+ works flawless.

Dolphin itself requires a bit of tinkering with the settings to get working 100%, and some builds work better than others for certain games. It only took me like 30 mins to get everything setup though, if that.

Mistle

My comp:

Intel Q9550, 3.2ghz
HD Radeon 5770
8GB DDR2 Ram

I tried running the Skyward Sword demo with the popular build in this thread, but with no anti-aliasing (as that made the game sluggish). It does run at 30fps, but it will stagger quite often, and when in heavy areas the framerate will drop for periods of time. Is this I problem with my system or may I have something set wrong in settings? If it's my comp, I assume it's the CPU that needs upgrading?

The paint depth of field is Skyward Sword is glorious. The game still looks great on my TV imo, but when I do my second playthrough it's going to be on Dolphin.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
x3sphere said:
Similar specs to my rig so yeah, I have an i7 920 at 3.1 and HD6970. For the Bluetooth adapter, I use this one...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D8CCYK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Works under Windows 7 *without* having to install additional driver software. Plug and play. I've had no connection problems either and MP+ works flawless.

Dolphin itself requires a bit of tinkering with the settings to get working 100%, and some builds work better than others for certain games. It only took me like 30 mins to get everything setup though, if that.

Awesome; thank you! That's the same one they sell at Best Buy for $30. A bit steep, but I could get this setup tomorrow.

And I'm glad to hear you get good performance with your rig - makes me feel a bit more confident. Thanks for the help.

I have i5 m480 2.67Ghz, I try to run dolphin today. But the thing is it only uses 1st and 3rd CPU not 2nd and 4th so my CPU usage never exceeds %50.

Is there a way to get around this?

Sipowicz

Banned
quick question given that skyward sword apaparently looks shite upscaled, can you play it at native resolution with normal wii like graphics?

Mistle

Sipowicz said:
i saw some dolphin pictures and it looked crap. was that just the settings?
Scroll back a couple pages in this thread, it looks great imo. Only time it doesn't is when it kind of looks like certain graphics have been stuck on, and don't blend with the background.

tiku said:
One tip:

In SS you have to activate AA in order to get the watercolor effect.
Sure? I think I played without AA and it was still there... Might have to double check though.

Red

caffeinated said:
I have i5 m480 2.67Ghz, I try to run dolphin today. But the thing is it only uses 1st and 3rd CPU not 2nd and 4th so my CPU usage never exceeds %50.

Is there a way to get around this?
Your CPU is too slow for most games. Dolphin uses only 2 cores.

Evershade

Sorry if this has been answered already.

Playing Skyward Sword with the DX11 settings from this thread on rev 7719M I have this floating transparent texture over the screen at all times that seems to affect the DOF? Turning off AA and changing the internal res don't seem to help?

Any ideas? Playing DX9 with the glitches floor shadows at the moment as I find it less distracting.

EDIT nvm. It seems it was a problem with AA, dolphin just wasnt saving the settings. Nothing to see here.

dark10x

So is Zelda only a 30 fps game then? I was under the impression that they were aiming for 60 fps ala Mario Galaxy with this one. I'm hoping this is just an emulation issue, but I'm betting it's not. :(

Chairhome

dark10x said:
So is Zelda only a 30 fps game then? I was under the impression that they were aiming for 60 fps ala Mario Galaxy with this one. I'm hoping this is just an emulation issue, but I'm betting it's not. :(
It is a 30fps game.

Shahadan

So I received it this morning and tried to play and I have these annoying translucent bars everywhere in front of me. And they sometimes switch to being vertical. How is that called and how do I get rid of it?
I used specs posted before by Thoraxes, except for reduced anisotropic filtering. I thought that could be that, but changing it just slows my game and the fucking bars are still there.

Can someone help me?
I have dolphin 3.0 btw. Pic related.

6OnfU.jpg

Edit : maybe beaten by Evershade. Is it the same thing?

Peterthumpa

Shahadan said:
So I received it this morning and tried to play and I have these annoying translucent bars everywhere in front of me. And they sometimes switch to being vertical. How is that called and how do I get rid of it?
I used specs posted before by Thoraxes, except for reduced anisotropic filtering. I thought that could be that, but changing it just slows my game and the fucking bars are still there.

Can someone help me?
Use revision 7719M. Dolphin 3+ is known to have issues with Skyward Sword.

Also, answering to another question, the watercolor effect is visible even without any kind of AA. It just gets more "intense" with AA on, but the game looks similar to how it runs on the Wii hardware with AA disabled.

To get rid of the jaggies, up the internal resolution.

donarumo

Neo Member
Shahadan said:

Can someone help me?

What is your internal resolution set to (under Graphic Settings - Enhancements)? I would have to play with my settings to see but could this be an artifcate of resizing the internal resolution to fit your window/full screen resolution?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
dark10x said:
I'm hoping this is just an emulation issue, but I'm betting it's not. :(
Lol that would be incredibly weird for an emulator magically switching a 60 fps game to become 30 fps. Framerates in emulation are tied to the speed a game runs at so if it was a 60 fps game on Wii 30 fps on Dolphin would be running in slow-mo.

Azar

Thrakier said:
Hm, ok, no AA but that's like...I don't know. I run 2xres with 4xSSAA. Where can I download the revision you are using? I said I'm around 90% stable but it depends on the game. In busy scenes the frames drops. The framedrop isn't bad but the problem is that the music gets distorted than as well an dthat's the real bummer...I don't want to oc my CPU any further, 4.2 should be enough...
You don't need AA at 4x resolution, in my experience--you'er already downsampling to 1080p so it looks incredible.

Meier

Not really an emulator kinda guy but those SS pics are really stunning and I remember being blown away by Xenoblade Chronicles shots. I imported XC and followed the walkthrough here to get it working w/o a problem. Kind of a longshot, but is it possible to copy my save to my PC so I could continue the game via Dolphin or would I have to start over? Over 30 hours in so re-starting is pretty much out of the question.

Bossniak

Is it possible to use a real wiimote with built in motion plus and emulate the nunchuck? I tried the hybrid wiiimote motion option but it doesn't recognize motion plus and just prompts me to plug in the motion plus accessory.

Thoraxes

Duuuuuude, there are tons of websites using our images from here.
Also my config and build used are being reported like everywhere.

Top Bottom