• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Rufus

Xenoblade, yes, Monster Hunter don't know, but I would assume the same. There's a set of custom textures floating around for Xenoblade that changes the UI to 360 buttons as well, but someone else here will have to help you out with that.

Ledsen

Very close, its actually in Chozo Ruins, but other than that you are spot on.

This is the first time I've ever played the game and its amazing. The atmosphere, gameplay, music, art style are all perfect and I'm addicted.

The Vibrance setting in SweetFX seems to accentuate the colors well and brings out some great visuals.

Oh shit, obviously I meant Chozo Ruins, I just switched out the name somehow. Glad you're enjoying it, the feeling I had when I got the game from my friend (he got us 2 import copies on the US release) and played it day and night in some sort of trance is one of my fondest memories.

I still remember it like it was yesterday (haven't played the game for like 8 years). It's a room in Tallon Overworld, IIRC it has a save room connecting to it (or pretty close) and also when jumping between those platforms I would always hit those stupid mushrooms and get poisoned (oh god the noise). Best game of all time, no contest.
I came to post the exact same thing, played this back in the GC days, never since. Yet I remember that room as if it was today, the corridor leading up to it had nitrogen or something akin, that condensed into the visor, and that upper part required double jump to get across and had some kamikase bird things that would aim at you.

There was a save room there, yes, oposite direction, or from who gets that room to the right (this being to the left).

God, that game is just so memorable.

Grief.exe

ihIPJ1wdp5mIF.png

ibo6P6VoRNHRQI.png

iSOuhpUmy1HvD.png

CPCunha

I'm horrible with the GAF search so sorry if this has popped up before.

I'm having problems with Xonoblade's audio... in the title screen it starts ok but a few seconds into it i get some horrible scratching noises... any fix for it?
I'm using Dolphin 3.5-269

PGamer

fucking juniors
I'm horrible with the GAF search so sorry if this has popped up before.

I'm having problems with Xonoblade's audio... in the title screen it starts ok but a few seconds into it i get some horrible scratching noises... any fix for it?
I'm using Dolphin 3.5-269

KPRsc8i.jpg

Grief.exe

Prime looks 10x worse than before with whatever filter/fx/stuff that is going on. WW looks staggeringly good, as always.

Really?

I did some comparison shots. There isn't really much being done with SweetFX outside of AA and vibrance.

It really just makes the image slightly smoother and brings out the colors a bit.

Or ultimate comparison shot with just how the GC would display the image.

The Prime shots look amazing to me. Sweetfx settings?

/*-----------------------------------------------------------.
/ SMAA Anti-aliasing settings /
'-----------------------------------------------------------*/

#define SMAA_THRESHOLD 0.05 // [0.05 to 0.20] Edge detection threshold
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS 8 // [0 to 98] Determines the radius SMAA will search for aliased edges
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS_DIAG 6 // [0 to 16] Determines the radius SMAA will search for diagonal aliased edges
#define SMAA_CORNER_ROUNDING 100 // [0 to 100] Determines the percent of antialiasing to apply to corners.

// -- Advanced SMAA settings --
#define COLOR_EDGE_DETECTION 1 // [0 or 1] 1 Enables color edge detection (slower but slightly more acurate) - 0 uses luma edge detection (faster)
#define SMAA_DIRECTX9_LINEAR_BLEND 0 // [0 or 1] Using DX9 HARDWARE? (software version doesn't matter) if so this needs to be 1 - If not, leave it at 0.

/ LumaSharpen settings /
// -- Sharpening --
#define sharp_strength 1.40 // [0.10 to 3.00] Strength of the sharpening
#define sharp_clamp 0.500 // [0.000 to 1.000] Limits maximum amount of sharpening a pixel recieves - Default is 0.035

// -- Advanced sharpening settings --
#define pattern 2 // [1|2|3|4] Choose a sample pattern. 1 = Fast, 2 = Normal, 3 = Wider, 4 = Pyramid shaped.
#define offset_bias 1.0 // [0.0 to 6.0] Offset bias adjusts the radius of the sampling pattern.
// I designed the pattern for offset_bias 1.0, but feel free to experiment.

// -- Debug sharpening settings --
#define show_sharpen 0 // [0 or 1] Visualize the strength of the sharpen (multiplied by 4 to see it better)

/ Vibrance settings /
#define Vibrance 0.65 //[-1.0 to 1.0] Intelligently saturates (or desaturates if you use negative values) the pixels depending on their original saturation.

/ Curves settings /
#define Curves_contrast 0.35 //[-1.0 to 1.0] The amount of contrast you want

// -- Advanced curve settings --
#define Curves_formula 7 //[1|2|3|4|5|6|7] The constrast s-curve you want to use.

Pro

That's good info for those of us (myself included) that aren't familiar with Sweet FX. Is there a Sweet FX thread on GAF? Something that explains how to configure it and where people can post their custom settings?

I have a Core i3 3.2GHz 27" iMac. I get decent performance with Dolphin running Wind Waker at native resolution, but going full-screen causes a lot of slowdown. Would I get better performance booting over into Windows 8 and running Dolpin/WW that way?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I have a Core i3 3.2GHz 27" iMac. I get decent performance with Dolphin running Wind Waker at native resolution, but going full-screen causes a lot of slowdown. Would I get better performance booting over into Windows 8 and running Dolpin/WW that way?

what's your fullscreen resolution and your internal resolution?
emulation through directx may be better than via opengl, but I'm not sure how much of a performance boost you should expect.
If you're just rendering the game at native resolution to a full-screen window it shouldn't be causing performance issues.

Red

Grief, you can remove the borders around your HUD so it doesn't look so wonky in widescreen. FYI in case you didn't know.

I didn't play all the way through Prime on Dolphin, but I reduced a lot of the display for what I did play... Enjoyed it more, thought it looked much nicer.

BlackBeetleKing

Neo Member
I converted the Insane Slug files to the GC version and put them in the folder indicated in the "Advanced" Graphics Tab "Load Custom Textures." Is there something I'm missing?

Edit - It looks like part of the textures (brick wall) are loading, but not all of them.

GZ2E01-130.png

Try to delete \Dolphinxxxx\User\GameConfig\RZDE01.ini (Wii Ver.)
Try to delete \Dolphinxxxx\User\GameConfig\GZ2E01.ini (NGC Ver.)
6Nl.jpg

Grief.exe

Think you can do a comparison in the same resolution without SweetFX?

Do you mean.

You want me to take a screenshot with SweetFX off, then the same spot with SweetFX on?

I have one up there with half and half, SweetFX on one side and off on the other.

Grief, you can remove the borders around your HUD so it doesn't look so wonky in widescreen. FYI in case you didn't know.

I didn't play all the way through Prime on Dolphin, but I reduced a lot of the display for what I did play... Enjoyed it more, thought it looked much nicer.

I just checked in the options and saw that. Thanks for the heads up, but I don't know if I'll switch.

Will be weird to get used to know as I'm well over half way through the game.

antitrop

No matter what I do, I can't get Xenoblade to work with the PS3 controller using MotioninJoy in Dolphin 3.5.
I've been fucking with it for 45 minutes and Google'd several tutorials without help. Can anyone give me a step-by-step?

I even downloaded and loaded an .ini file and still did nothing. The PS3 controller is working fine, I can map the buttons using the Dolphin config, but once I load the game nothing.

Supposed to have it as an Emulated Wiimote, correct?

Once I figure that out I'll have to fix the sound. Already set it to DSP LLE Recompiler, but that didn't fix it.

EDIT: Nevermind, fixed audio. But still haven't gotten the controls to work. =(

EDIT 2: Okay, pretty much got the controls figured out. At least I can get them working, I just can't come up with a good mapping configuration on my own. Trying to jam a Wiimote into a PS3 scheme is pretty awkward.

EDIT 3: Is there just any fucking way to make Xenoblade work on Dolphin with emulated classic controller mapped to PS3 controller? What a pain in the ass, hahahah.

EDIT 4: Now when I try to start a new game I get "No extension controller is connected to the Wii Remote"

What the fuck

EDIT 5: God damnit, now I understand. I have to configure the nunchuck. This is a miserable learning experience. The Dolphin UI certainly doesn't make it very obvious.

EDIT 6: I need a cigarette.

Grief.exe

I've starting playing a lot of Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow on my Gameboy Micro the past couple of days. I started it on the train to class, and just haven't been able to put it down. I'll put up some more Metroid shots soon!

If it's not too much trouble. I don't want to tell you how to play your game, but i would like to see the full extent of the differences.

No trouble at all, just making sure what you wanted.

Apologize for the imgur, but didn't want to pollute my minus account and this is the easiest way.

If anything doing comparisons like this has made me appreciate the SweetFX more, subtlety brings out the colors that are there.

With SweetFX

Without SweetFX

antitrop

Well, I finally got it.
Just pure luck, brute force, and far too much trial and error.

Time to smoke a joint and play Xenoblade. That was fucking exhausting.
I'm assuming all the effort was worth it to be able to play at 2560x2112 w/ 9xSSAA and 16x AF instead of 480p.

antitrop

You know what's pretty fucking crazy?

Controlling the camera in Xenoblade with the motion controls of the six-axis... Weird, but interesting.

Talk about doing things the way they were never intended.

I've starting playing a lot of Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow on my Gameboy Micro the past couple of days. I started it on the train to class, and just haven't been able to put it down. I'll put up some more Metroid shots soon!

No trouble at all, just making sure what you wanted.

Apologize for the imgur, but didn't want to pollute my minus account and this is the easiest way.

If anything doing comparisons like this has made me appreciate the SweetFX more, subtlety brings out the colors that are there.

With SweetFX

Without SweetFX
Thanks for that. Personally, I vastly prefer the original look. Those SweetFX settings look like it has some blue filter over everything which just distorts the look of the game too much for me. Did you add sharpening too?

antitrop

*PS3 buttons.
Does such a thing exist? I only found the 360 controller buttons, but I'm not using the 360 controller. I have issues with the deadzone in the analog sticks for my Xbox 360 Controller for Windows, so I use my PS3 controller instead.

Is that the texture patch? And also do you know how to fix the audio? I know there is a patch that is out for older versions of dolphin but im not sure how to implement it into 3.5
Nope, it was the PAL version with the 30fps patch only, everything else was just Dolphin settings @ 2560x2112 w/ 9xSSAA and 16x AF.

This is the setting I used to fix the audio stuttering. At locked 30fps the audio is perfect, but if it even drops to 29 the audio begins to stutter like fucking crazy. So make sure you have settings that can maintain the locked 30.

D4BhVUE.jpg

Oddly enough I got it working but I didn't use those settings I have the DSP set to fastest Vbeam turned off and idle skipping off and the audio hasnt skipped or distorted in the cutscene

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Does such a thing exist? I only found the 360 controller buttons, but I'm not using the 360 controller. I have issues with the deadzone in the analog sticks for my Xbox 360 Controller for Windows, so I use my PS3 controller instead.

Nope, it was the PAL version with the 30fps patch only, everything else was just Dolphin settings @ 2560x2112 w/ 9xSSAA and 16x AF.

This is the setting I used to fix the audio stuttering. At locked 30fps the audio is perfect, but if it even drops to 29 the audio begins to stutter like fucking crazy. So make sure you have settings that can maintain the locked 30.

D4BhVUE.jpg

If you post the 360 controller one I can try and turn it into a ) PS3 controller one.

antitrop

I should mention that both several configurations of 360 buttons and 1 set of PS3 buttons come with the Xenoblade HD Texture Pack, I just didn't notice them before.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Does anyone know how to get the map working in Twilight Princess with Insane Slug's hi-res texture patch? I had to delete the original game config to get it working and when I did, the map is gone with hi-res textures enabled and disabled.

Anyway, this game is beautiful. I'd gladly double dip on a re-make of this on Wii U if it has the Zelda HD experience graphics.

GZ2E01-161.png

GZ2E01-162.png

jediyoshi

Does anyone know how to get the map working in Twilight Princess with Insane Slug's hi-res texture patch? I had to delete the original game config to get it working and when I did, the map is gone with hi-res textures enabled and disabled.

Oh lord that stretching, may as well upgrade to the Wii version unless the author hasn't ported the textures over.

The game config is what has the compatibility settings the developers have in place for the game to run efficiently in the first place. The easiest way to find the defaults would be to just redownload a fresh copy of Dolphin, load up the game, and see which of the settings under the Hacks tab in the graphics config have changed. I'm guessing it's either the texture cache or efb copies setting that are the culprits.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Oh lord that stretching, may as well upgrade to the Wii version unless the author hasn't ported the textures over.

The game config is what has the compatibility settings the developers have in place for the game to run efficiently in the first place. The easiest way to find the defaults would be to just redownload a fresh copy of Dolphin, load up the game, and see which of the settings under the Hacks tab in the graphics config have changed. I'm guessing it's either the texture cache or efb copies setting that are the culprits.

Yeah, the stretching I've gotten used to. The widescreen hack restores the proper aspect ratio, but there are artifacts on the sides of the screen. I'm not a fan of the Wii version due to the controls, so I prefer the GC one.

Anyway, I've tried tinkering with the texture cache and EFB copies. I tried them both on "RAM" and "Safe" and then the hi-res textures wouldn't load at all. I have the original game config saved, so replacing it gives me the map back. I'd really like to have both though.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Yeah, the stretching I've gotten used to. The widescreen hack restores the proper aspect ratio, but there are artifacts on the sides of the screen. I'm not a fan of the Wii version due to the controls, so I prefer the GC one.

Anyway, I've tried tinkering with the texture cache and EFB copies. I tried them both on "RAM" and "Safe" and then the hi-res textures wouldn't load at all. I have the original game config saved, so replacing it gives me the map back. I'd really like to have both though.

You should really, really just play in in 4:3. That stretching does a number on the visuals.

Ledsen

Anyway, this game is beautiful. I'd gladly double dip on a re-make of this on Wii U if it has the Zelda HD experience graphics.
]

Holy shit dude correct that aspect ratio STAT, that looks hideous :/

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

Interesting. I can tell you that you can get the exact same glitch when running vanilla TP on Dolphin and having EFB set to Texture instead of RAM. Not sure if that information helps..
You should try messaging the creator of one of the texture packs on his blog.
zeldatphdt.blogspot.com/
a friend of the guy also posts in this thread occasionally
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43599913&postcount=9056

Decado

Hey, what part of your system does the dolphin emulator stress the most?

I'm wondering if it worth the effort of OCing my i5 3570k CPU and/or Nvidea 670 GPU.

My computer is in a mini case, so it may not be great of OCing, though.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Interesting. I can tell you that you can get the exact same glitch when running vanilla TP on Dolphin and having EFB set to Texture instead of RAM. Not sure if that information helps..
You should try messaging the creator of one of the texture packs on his blog.
zeldatphdt.blogspot.com/
a friend of the guy also posts in this thread occasionally
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43599913&postcount=9056

Thank you. I'll try it later. Earlier I had the textures on safe and ram. Perhaps all I need to do is load them to ram.

BIGWORM

Could anyone recommend me a cheap bluetooth usb that gets the job done?

Can use this dongle from Dealextreme HERE

I've had this dongle for about 3 years, and I've never had problems. Be advised, shipping is from HK, so it'll take a couple of calendar weeks to get to you.

Top Bottom