• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don Mattrick: "Fortunately" consumers without a connection can buy Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
3utjhu.jpg

ibgD8gM9XNMvKZ.gif

Those of you dismissing him for being a goofy-looking fucker and whatever else need to stick to the facts and not do some ad hominem bullshit. Mark Cerny looks a little goofy too. None of that is the point. The point is that Don Mattrick is extremely confident, as is Mark Cerny, but Mattrick seems to be disconnected (ironically) with gamers in a huge way right now. I don't think Mattrick is evil or dumb. I understand exactly what he's going for. The problem is, we're not going for it, and then the bigger problem is, he's not budging.

MCD

He is getting fired as soon as X1 is launched. This is Sinofsky and Windows 8 all over again.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
MS are being tone deaf for whatever reason I do not know. The great majority of gamers have access to the internet, and on the average gamer is probably NOT going to experience a situation where they are unable to get online for longer than 24 hours. That is not the issue; the issue is that an individual AT ALL should have to verify the use of their system that they have purchased. Whenever you put concessions on a device after purchase (as is being done here) you are effectively putting the consumer in the position of a leaser (much in the same way Adobe products are now). You own a device, you do not own its functionality. That is the problem. Can you imagine if other products operated in such a way (a phone for instance!)? MS can continue to be obtuse about the issue and pretend its a logistic one, but they know it is is not - the the issue is a much more philosophical one that they do not have the stones to take a side on (as SONY has done).

teiresias

That whole nuclear sub thing should go viral. I mean how absolutely clueless to the needs of service men & women can a corporation be, and then to basically have an executive make fun of them and dismiss them in an interview like that?!?! Insanity!

Binabik15

Mattrick: "Xbox has been created by gamers for gamers."

Yeah, XBOX, but Xbone has been created by suits for suits.

I love how they add insult to injury and tell people to get a 360. Third console curse or MS hubris? You decide, becaus I'm done caring.

kitch9

Banned
Hey guys, remember when giant crabs and massive damage was a thing?

This is a whole new league of retard I never thought even possible.

Biker19

Banned
The really sad thing is this thing is going to sell a ton and most likely win the generation.

Not really. Both Europe & especially Japan would most likely turn towards PS4 instead of Xbox One. Plus chances are, gamers inside the UK are most likely switching their pre-orders from Xbox One to PS4 as well.

America & Canada are the only two places in which Xbox One will be relevant, & even that's not guaranteed, especially when the PS4 is $100 cheaper than Xbox One.

Those of you dismissing him for being a goofy-looking fucker and whatever else need to stick to the facts and not do some ad hominem bullshit. Mark Cerny looks a little goofy too. None of that is the point. The point is that Don Mattrick is extremely confident, as is Mark Cerny, but Mattrick seems to be disconnected (ironically) with gamers in a huge way right now. I don't think Mattrick is evil or dumb. I understand exactly what he's going for. The problem is, we're not going for it, and then the bigger problem is, he's not budging.

Well, let's keep our perspective. GAF tends to be an echo chamber and doesn't always reflect the position of the masses. A lot of people don't seem to give 2 shits about any of this. They may care later when their internets go down and they can't continue playing Forza and really regret not reading the fine print...but right now, all they see is launch games they want to play on a platform for which they're already paid up in their LIVE subscription.

These shits will sell like hotcakes in the US. Europe and Japan, I don't know because those have always been tougher, and tougher still markets for Microsoft, respectively. But a healthy portion of the masses just won't care. Most don't have PC's that can run TitanFall, and they'll want to play it. Forza 5 will undoubtedly be the best "next gen" racing sim until GT7 comes along who knows when, and they'll want to play it. Killer Instinct looks like it may actually be fun, and they'll want to play it. And of course, the ecosystem is one millions have become comfortable with and aren't so quick to uproot and leave franchises they've been enjoying.

Mattrick is done deaf as hell, and Microsoft is needs to review these check-in policies...but the people will still come. So yes, much of GAF may not go for it, but that's as far as "we're not going for it" can reach before losing resolution.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
30 or 35 million xbox 360s never connected to the internet last I heard.

That's nearly 50% of their current user base and Microsoft is essentially telling them to fuck off lol...
It's just crazy - a mate of mine was on deployment constantly with no internet and would go through games like you wouldn't believe. He'd seriously finish a few a WEEK. They're basically telling him to go away in no uncertain terms. Straight to PS4.

I remember some comment 'we might make an exception for people serving in the military. details TBC'. Fuck off.

I also think this will sell like crazy. Most people aren't going to know or care. Thing is, it could sell a lot, lot more without these weird restrictions.

Because publishers cannot control their budgets, or teams. So instead of taking an inward look and thinking about how to fix some of these issues on the their end, it is more appropriate to blame the consumer.

I just said this word for word at brunch Sunday with some friends in the industry, and they had no choice but to agree after at first trying to prove me wrong.

LOL

Mark my words, MS will change some of their policies after they seen that Xbox 1 sale goal doesn't reached as quick as they wanted.
I say it again, see START button debacle of Windows 8

For now MS is fucking stubborn.

Honestly, I feel bad for Don. I really doubt that he's the head behind all these terrible decisions, but he's obviously the face that's taken all the heat for all the dumb decisions microsoft made as a company. I mean, seriously, what is he gonna say? I really don't envy his position right now. Okay, maybe I do a little since he's probably still got being a millionaire to fall back on at the end of the day.

King326

Don always seems goofy... also very cringeworthy to hear what he's saying. Basically a FU to gamers or even potential X1 buyers.

Espada

Fortunately consumers with a brain can buy a PS4...

I don't have much faith in the average consumer. Like Dreams-Visions said, the Xbox One is going to sell like hotcakes simply because people own the 360 and will simply upgrade to the next iteration without thinking.

Azull

Am i the only one that thinks Geoff was REALLY irritated with Mattricks repsonse?

Nope, first thing I noticed when I watched it. It snapped me out of my "Did you seriously just say that?" moment. I just love how they say they listened, than basically show the exact opposite AND mock everyone at the same time. I just feel bad for MS at this point.

Coolwhip

Banned
It looks like Microsoft execs could hide they are insufferable assholes for 13 years and it all got exposed these last months. Such a disaster.

Well, let's keep our perspective. GAF tends to be an echo chamber and doesn't always reflect the position of the masses. A lot of people don't seem to give 2 shits about any of this. They may care later when their internets go down and they can't continue playing Forza and really regret not reading the fine print...but right now, all they see is launch games they want to play on a platform for which they're already paid up in their LIVE subscription.

These shits will sell like hotcakes in the US. Europe and Japan, I don't know because those have always been tougher, and tougher still markets for Microsoft, respectively. But a healthy portion of the masses just won't care. Most don't have PC's that can run TitanFall, and they'll want to play it. Forza 5 will undoubtedly be the best "next gen" racing sim until GT7 comes along who knows when, and they'll want to play it. Killer Instinct looks like it may actually be fun, and they'll want to play it. And of course, the ecosystem is one millions have become comfortable with and aren't so quick to uproot and leave franchises they've been enjoying.

Mattrick is done deaf as hell, and Microsoft is needs to review these check-in policies...but the people will still come. So yes, much of GAF may not go for it, but that's as far as "we're not going for it" can reach before losing resolution.
After they find out that...

1) it doesn't ship with a headset
2) cost $100 more
3) the PS3 controller doesn't suck as much

I doubt you're going to be right.

Sure, Halo and Gears fans won't jump. Battlefield and COD fans though....

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
This is what happens when Geoff attacks, or this guy is just too... JUST TOO STUPID TO SHUT UP, and think before he utters other words of wisdom.

Karuyag

I don't have much faith in the average consumer. Like Dreams-Visions said, the Xbox One is going to sell like hotcakes simply because people own the 360 and will simply upgrade to the next iteration without thinking.

Let's just say the average consumer will buy this console and its games thinking it's a new upgrade to the 360...

Eventually, this average consumer will then advertise to his friends that this console plays awesome games and therefore his friends buy the console as well...

Sometime later... our average consumer decides to bring his games over to his friend's house to hang out and play... Most likely disregarding any warning prompts regarding game sharing license agreements, thinking they're just normal terms and conditions stuff...

Our average consumer comes back home, plays his game and realizes he cannot play his game anymore...

He calls MS support and maybe google's his problem and realizes he just got fucked over by MS's DRM...

...sounds like a typical scenario no?

3utjhu.jpg

Last 20 seconds in this video is pure gold:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxkEe_l7S3g

Don Mattrick doesn't seem to have the "Oh God I'm saying something really stupid I need to shut up RIGHT NOW before I make it worse" warning inside his head that most people have.

"I don't even know what it MEANS to be on a nuclear sub, but I've gotta imagine it's not easy to get an Internet connection."

Really, Mattrick? REALLY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom