• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don Mattrick: "Fortunately" consumers without a connection can buy Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more and more we here from Microsoft the more and more its clear they won't change and I think Sony's going to enjoy PS2 levels of dominance next gen. Microsoft will arrogantly stand behind its DRM box until its too late for them

bndadm

He's probably off the planet right now. Heard the moon is nice this time of year.

How will he play the games then?

Also - I like playing single player games offline because society drives me up a wall. I play video games to get away from people.

Oh, and I also use a cell phone just for calls. I guess I'm beneath Microsoft now.

Geoff Keighley had an interview with Don Mattrick (recorded pre conference) - here are some excerpts:

Keighley:"Did you know or did you anticipate the way the people would push back?"
Mattrick:"Absolutely - it's a super passionate community of people... till you use it [Xbox One] it's really hard to understand what all the advantages are."

Mattrick: "Xbox has been created by gamers for gamers."

Mattrick: "Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called xbox 360"

Mattrick: "The avarage internet connection is working the majority of the day - people are imagining that it isn't... It's change. There was a point in time when people would say all i want my phone to do is make a phonecall."

more can be found here: link
So I was right, he did say that.

:\

gogosox8

Mattrick: "Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called xbox 360"

Wow, does he understand how bad that sounds?

Chromax

Don doesn't care what you poor people think if you don't live in something like this!

mattrickhouse.jpg

Dizzy

Banned
So to future proof it and take advantage of always online, we HAD to have this DRM and online activation?

Made by greedy execs that wanted more profit, for gamers.

Mattrick: "Xbox has been created by gamers for gamers."

Mattrick: "The avarage internet connection is working the majority of the day - people are imagining that it isn't... It's change. There was a point in time when people would say all i want my phone to do is make a phonecall."

tumblr_miybgfwBzB1s6ezlmo1_400.gif

Absolutely - it's a super passionate community of people... till you use it [Xbox One] it's really hard to understand what all the advantages are.

Guess I'll never understand what all the advantages are then.

Great marketing by the way. "I know it looks like shit, but please trust me. It's really cool."

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
So yet again they don't give a singular reason for it to require a connection and just more reasons for why a connection can be good.

Jarmel

Banned

Keepin' it Real Translation: Fuck you you poors. Get with the times. We don't want your broke ass if you don't got Internet. Problem? Deal with it.

Fox Mulder

Holy shit. That's amazing amounts of hubris right there. MS is off in their own world with this, and I hope it blows up in their face.

I did buy a 360, and the first Xbox. I bought lots of xbla games and was addicted to achievements. It should have been a slam dunk to get me to buy the next console, but they'd rather just shit on consumers and dismiss concerns without explaining any of the advantages I'd get for giving them so much control. Fuck off MS, I can't wait for you to flame out of this industry.

Ding-Ding

The only people that don't like the Xbox One's online requirements according to Mattrick are people that live apart from society. You can hear the contempt he has for gamers.

Funny because he couldn't hear the contempt gamers had for his product. You would have thought he heard the audience cheer when Sony took the piss out of the "one"

It really doesn't compute with this man (obviously needs more cloud servers to compute that).

Amir0x

Banned

seriously wow

I really hope they have calculated this business model of theirs, considering they are automatically starting off with 31 million less potential XBO customers.

Freki

Wow, this actually came out his mouth?

You can watch it in all it's glory for yourself - link is in op.

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called xbox 360"
Could somebody shop this into a picture of Don? I want to cash in on the reddit karma (lol)

Big-E

Ridiculous. You anticipated it then you should have known your messaging needed a lot of fucking work but you give no fucks because you really think that some grandma is going to connect her cable box to the Xbone. Gamers took your message and threw it back at you allowing Sony to join in and give MS the evisceration of yesterday. That 360 comment is just ridiculous as well. They clearly are looking for grandmas but someone forgot to tell them that their box is quickly becoming irrelevant. Today Time Warner Cable said that they are going to give Samsung Smart TV owners an option to not even have a cable box. http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/time-warner-cable-samsung-set-top-box/. The future is getting rid of your cable box which fucks MS right in their jugular.

"It's change. There was a point in time when people would say all i want my phone to do is make a phonecall."

There was a time when a company thought people would want to get a second job to afford a console.

That changed too, Don.

Boss Man

it really rubs me the wrong way how geoff really goes in hard, raw, and completely without disregard for reggie's feelings as not only a businessman, but above all, a man, a hopeless, lost man. but mattrick gets off pretty easy.
Damn, what did I miss today?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

This is so batshit mental it needs to be quoted everypost in this thread.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
My response, in Don's words.

Osiris: " "Fortunately there is a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called the PS4"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom