• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don Mattrick: "Fortunately" consumers without a connection can buy Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

mozfan12

Banned
This has to be Sony's most successful marketing as of yet. Sending MS Phil was their best idea ever.

Phil is such a better spokesman, Don Matrick has got to be the worst out of all the suits. Not one single drop of charisma or personality comes out of the guy.

Man, kinda sad but I miss Seamus Blackley, J Allard, and Peter Moore. I know they were just repeating the company line, but there is no one in the Xbox brand that seems to identify with the product.

War Eagle

3utjhu.jpg

Last 20 seconds in this video is pure gold:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxkEe_l7S3g

FFS you could write a thesis on the amount of pr mistakes made just so far.

Does he even say this shit out loud to himself to hear how it sounds?

ReaperXL7

So why exactly does the current model need to change? It's worked fine for 25+ years.

Because publishers cannot control their budgets, or teams. So instead of taking an inward look and thinking about how to fix some of these issues on the their end, it is more appropriate to blame the consumer.

I wonder if Microsoft thought about deployed service men with regard to the Xbox One. Soldiers often take their game systems with them. Internet service at bases on foreign soil tends to be spotty; good at times but also nonexistent at times. You can easily be unable to "phone home" for 2 to 3 days at a time.

So is Microsoft saying that military folks shouldn't buy Xbox One either? Maybe they're saying "We DON'T support our troops."

Devil's Food Cake for thought...

They mentioned some sort of military deployment edition but I doubt service men and women want to fuck around with a kinect in not living room sized spaces just trying to play a game.

I still don't understand why the connection is needed to "authenticate" every 24h. What the hell is going on??? Why is MS so paranoid?

They want to make sure you're not a poor who couldn't afford the internet bill that month.

Because publishers cannot control their budgets, or teams. So instead of taking an inward look and thinking about how to fix some of these issues on the their end, it is more appropriate to blame the consumer.
I've been ranting about this. It seems so many people in the industry hate the consumers that support them.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Sorry all I can think right now of is:

07-minister.jpg

Not really, Al-Sahhaf knew they were losing and was just doing that for the press(he was the first to escape from Iraq and go to UAE) Don on the other hand thinks he have the market loyalty under his hands just because of how well 360 is doing(kinda like Kutaragi)

Roland1979

Yeah... so let's translate this:

Keighley:"Did you know or did you anticipate the way the people would push back?"
Mattrick:"Absolutely - it's a super passionate community of people... till you use it [Xbox One] it's really hard to understand what all the advantages are."
"Not really. But forum dwellers are highly emotional and unstable so let's not take them too serious, and let's pretend adding up a whole lot of crap turns the crap into gold."

Mattrick: "Xbox has been created by gamers for gamers."
"Somehow we suits are not suits. Mainstream is the new hardcore."

Mattrick: "Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called xbox 360"
"Whait... What!? You're not gonna buy Live Gold? Well f*ck you then!"

Mattrick: "The average internet connection is working the majority of the day - people are imagining that it isn't... It's change. There was a point in time when people would say all i want my phone to do is make a phonecall.
"The average person is a male, around 1.80m tall with dark hair and dark eyes. So we have set Kinect up to only recognize those people, the rest is imagining something they're not. Remember that when you reset that modem, the reason it's not working is because you live in the past. Also complain to your provider. Oh and f*ck you!"

m_trust.png

consoul

Don Mattrick said:
Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called Xbox 360.
Unfortunately your competitors have better products for them, called PS4 and WiiU.

Xamdou

MS seriously has to change their DRM/anti-used games policy. There is simply no excuse for these to be in place considering Sony's stance on it.

Karuyag

the description of the video says that it was aired by mistake...

One... pretty damn smart for whoever did that

Two... he probably got fired unfortunately

I might be going against the tide on this one, but I am genuinely excited for the Xbox One. Will be getting both consoles anyway, but I think the new Xbox has amazing potential.

Anyway, as always, it will come down to how well the developers create games that use its unique features.

I agree. The XB1 looks great from a games standpoint. There are 3 reasons why the DRM issues don't bother me personally: 1) I have a decent internet connection at home that can at least check in once a day; 2) I don't buy a lot of games used since I only buy about 4-6 games a year; and 3) I'll primarily be playing on PS4 (which I'll get first) and the majority of my time will be spent there. I'm still interested in the exclusives MS can offer on the 1, but I don't necessarily want it to be my primary console.

Con_Smith

Banned
This is the biggest show of "Don't Give a Fuck" I have seen since 599 US dollars. Some people here don't give a fuck about the cons of the system or how poorly any type of "positvive" is explained, the suits don't give a fuck about their rights or appealing to the hard core, the system doesn't give a fuck about your situation at any given time, and I'm running out of fucks the more their PR keeps shoving their foots in their mouths.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
What's crazy is that they're seemingly completely willing to concede that 'no online' market to Sony - weren't the statistics absurdly high for last gen in terms of who couldn't get online? Not even the option of another version of the system or something like that to get those customers. They're gone.

They've basically said they're happy to shed a high percentage of existing customers going into next gen for whatever reason, which seems to be purely DRM related, until they show me otherwise. Seems nuts to me.

30 or 35 million xbox 360s never connected to the internet last I heard.

That's nearly 50% of their current user base and Microsoft is essentially telling them to fuck off lol...

Blueblur1

That's the real problem. That's what publishers should address. I guess it's gonna take a couple more Tomb Raiders for them to figure it out, huh?

MS seriously has to change their DRM/anti-used games policy. There is simply no excuse for these to be in place considering Sony's stance on it.

They've invested too much into cloud computing, and online infrastructure overall to remove those at this point. Not to mention most of their games have online functionality which = gold subscription $$$

ironcreed

Banned
The more I listen to this and then think on everything they are doing, the more amazed I am. I honestly cannot recall seeing anyone in their position this out of touch, while acting as if they are just going out of their way to piss off and alienate as many people as possible. It really is astounding.

markot

Banned
The DRM isnt only about games though, its about allllll the shit microsoft is going to try and sell you through the xbox. The movies, the games, the music, the 'apps', the tvshows and recordings you make, you name it.

Hell, Microsoft still wont let me change my windows account region to Australia cause I said I was in the US once and bought a game, and after 10 minutes talking to support who had no idea what I was talking about, I gave up on them and thier 'services'....

Sony his seriously going to demolish everyone this gen. Nintendo will be the 2nd place console to complement the PS4, and the XBone will languish in mediocrity as it so deserves. Buncha jackasses running MS's gaming division.

Those are very bold quotes, to say the least. I don't know what's happening to Microsoft, it really seems they're pulling a 2006 Sony.
It's not a 2006 SONY.

ITS A DAMN 1998 MICROSOFT. You know, the one that entire countries tried to sue.

Lol...back in 2000 I thought they employed people that got it.

I should have known better.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
The more I listen to this and then think on everything they are doing, the more amazed I am. I honestly cannot recall seeing anyone in their position this out of touch, while acting as if they are just going out of their way to piss off and alienate as many people as possible. It really is astounding.

It's actually worse than the Sim City 5 train wreck.

Even as an exclusive xbox player I am honestly amazed and amused by all of this.

FranXico

Microsoft's lack of touch has gone way beyond 2005 Sony. Way beyond.
This isn't just arrogance, it's pure evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom