• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don Mattrick: "Fortunately" consumers without a connection can buy Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

dionysus

Yaldog
Human psychology when confronted with an uncomfortable question.

Can I tell the truth that these people are fucked? No, that would get me in trouble.

Can I refuse to answer the question? No, that would just be indirect confirmation of the truth.

Can I attempt to diffuse the issue by bringing up something tangentially related but ultimately stupid? Yes, these players have the 360. (Sony 2005 alternative timeline response: We feel players will get a 3rd job in order to get internet in order to play the Xbone.)

I guess I'm in the minority. They just revealed a new Xbox 360 so in my mind he was probably talking about that. Then again, maybe he was being dismissive and super evil.

hal9001

Banned
5x2lXtQ.jpg

djshauny

Banned
Sad thing is there are people who actually think what MS is doing is a good idea. My twitter is full of them also. I cant understand why lol.

DorsalAxe

Neo Member
I really get a sense from the video that Mattrick doesn't even agree with the direction of the Xbox One, and is simply saying whatever he can because it's his job to push this thing. His heart isn't in it though.

Reminds me of when I worked in retail...

KageMaru

Can I tell the truth that these people are fucked? No, that would get me in trouble.

Can I refuse to answer the question? No, that would just be indirect confirmation of the truth.

Can I attempt to diffuse the issue by bringing up something tangentially related but ultimately stupid? Yes, these players have the 360. (Sony 2005 alternative timeline response: We feel players will get a 3rd job in order to get internet in order to play the Xbone.)

This is exactly why I hate PR.

Even though he had few options, that was a stupid thing to say and looks very arrogant. It's disgusting how badly MS has been fucking up with the Xbone.

Consumers without an internet connection can also buy a PS4, PS3, 3DS, Wii, Wii U...., basically any non MS console, so that's a really stupid point he made.

War Eagle

Don Mattrick doesn't seem to have the "Oh God I'm saying something really stupid I need to shut up RIGHT NOW before I make it worse" warning inside his head that most people have.

Really, Mattrick? REALLY?

The best part of this is that he supposedly read it on the guy on the Nuclear Sub's blog.

Amazing.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Fortunately the competition also has products for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, they are called PS4 and Wii U.

F this guy.

Telling people to buy a 360--which is a great console, no doubt--but they won't even drop the damn price to a reasonable level.

There's no reason a new 360 should be more than $150 in 2013.

I know this has been said many times, but God Bless Geoff, he tried to help Don dig himself out. You could see the surprise of Geoff's Face.

He reiterated, gave him a chance to back track "So that is your stance/message? Just buy a 360?"

He gave him a chance to get one foot out of the grave, he offered the olive branch, and Mattrick was like "Fuck off dude, I can screw this all up by myself."

Mattrick: "Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called xbox 360"

This is pretty much the polar opposite of that Sony no DRM announcement. They aren't trying to win back points at all.

BigJoeGrizzly

Neo Member
In all honesty, when I first read the quote, I was a bit irritated with the perceived arrogance of the statement, but having actually watched the interview in its entirety, it really wasn't as bad as I thought. Actually, Mattrick appeared quite sincere and reasonable in his explanations.

With this sort of DRM, how will our Troops maintain their ideological fealty with Call of Duty to remind them of their commitment to Country, Loyalty, Duty, Honor, Killing, Far-Right Paranoia, Military Hardware Fetishism, and Basically Open Fascism? These are serious questions, people.

this.

i was thinking about that the other day. it was like the one geoff did with peter moore. i instantly distrust the suits that can't answer a simple straight forward question. if you answer that you can't answer it yet? fine. but if i ask you if you support the MS DRM on xbone, don't tell me "we think we offer a wide range of titles that bring tremendous value to the consumer." WTF does that have to do with anything?

next time my fiance asks me to get her some water im going to tell her "look, our cupboard contains a wide range of snacks, ingredients, and just-add-water meal mixes that bring tremendous stomach-filling opportunities to us and any of our potential guests."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom