• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Donald Jr. : Visit to Arlington Cemetery made me think of all our business sacrifices

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Feb 9, 2009
https://www.thedailybeast.com/donald-trump-jr-says-visit-to-arlington-cemetery-made-him-think-of-familys-business-sacrifices

Anyone would find it hard not to be moved by a visit to Arlington Cemetery, the final resting place of hundreds of thousands of American troops dating back to the Civil War. Donald Trump Jr. had his own revelation at the military cemetery, according to his new book. In Triggered, the president's oldest son wrote that, when the first family visited the cemetery to watch his father lay a wreath on the Tomb of the Unknowns, it made him think of all the business “sacrifices” they had to make in their dad’s quest to become president. He wrote that he “rarely get emotional, if ever,” but seeing the graves made him feel the “importance of the presidency and a love of our country.” He added: “In that moment, I also thought of all the attacks we’d already suffered as a family, and about all the sacrifices we’d have to make to help my father succeed—voluntarily giving up a huge chunk of our business and all international deals to avoid the appearance that we were ‘profiting off the office.’” The comments have provoked outrage among military veterans. Rep. Ruben Gallego (D-AZ), who served in the Iraq War, has responded, saying: “Sacrifice is only a word to the Trumps.”

Last edited:
  • Triggered
Reactions: Bolivar687

TheContact

Jan 22, 2016
I really can't blame Don Jr for this. Yes, the comments were incredibly fucking stupid. But he's also extremely sheltered. I think he vies for so much affection from Trump because Trump doesn't care much for him he's willing to do anything for him. This is more nurture than is nature.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Considering the past 3 years, I'm surprised he held himself back. They were called traitors to their own country, repeatedly, for something their political opponents fabricated.

I don't consider him a sharp wit but this seems like a dumb thing to be bothered over.

Reactions: Tesseract

prag16

Jul 12, 2012
I mean, I don't think this alone really proves Don, Jr. is a bad person or anything like that, but this is certainly a pretty callous way to frame these types of comments, and I'm not surprised some people took exception.

Reactions: DunDunDunpachi

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
The Pentagon
i get it, when you sac businesses you are also shredding the livelihood of workers who in many cases were hoping to depend on you for jobs

don jr has to keep the torch going, he might not be the brightest or the favorite but you don't have to be

just keep pushing my dude, and stay in the sun

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: VanEs and Trojita

Trojita

Feb 9, 2009
i get it, when you sac businesses you are also shredding the livelihood of workers who in many cases were hoping to depend on you for jobs

don jr has to keep the torch going, he might not be the brightest or the favorite but you don't have to be

just keep pushing my dude, and stay in the sun
You think he cares about the livelihood of workers? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Reactions: VanEs

Trojita

Feb 9, 2009
I mean, I don't think this alone really proves Don, Jr. is a bad person or anything like that, but this is certainly a pretty callous way to frame these types of comments, and I'm not surprised some people took exception.
It's definitely a callous statement made about a place where hundreds of thousands of vets have been laid to rest. It would be one thing if this was an off the cuff statement, I can understand people saying things in the moment without thinking, but this was written in a book. After how many reviews of the content in the book, he somehow didn't see this as insensible and selfish?

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
Dumb thing to say. Growing up wealthy really does a number on people; they all seem to lose sense of how most people live.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
It's definitely a callous statement made about a place where hundreds of thousands of vets have been laid to rest. It would be one thing if this was an off the cuff statement, I can understand people saying things in the moment without thinking, but this was written in a book. After how many reviews of the content in the book, he somehow didn't see this as insensible and selfish?
Since it was written in a book, wouldn't it make sense that the comment is more candid and personal?

Also, since it was written in a book, what is the full quote? Even the article admits that Jr first thought of "the importance of the presidencey and [the importance of] a love of our country". Pretty benign.

Reactions: Tesseract

Trojita

Feb 9, 2009
Since it was written in a book, wouldn't it make sense that the comment is more candid and personal?

Also, since it was written in a book, what is the full quote? Even the article admits that Jr first thought of "the importance of the presidencey and [the importance of] a love of our country". Pretty benign.
Callous candidness isn't anymore praiseworthy.

Here is the context from from the sourced article with the quote.

“I rarely get emotional, if ever,” Trump Jr. wrote in his new book, “Triggered: How the Left Thrives on Hate and Wants to Silence Us.” “Yet, as we drove past the rows of white grave markers, in the gravity of the moment, I had a deep sense of the importance of the presidency and a love of our country.”

He also had another revelation as he watched his father standing in front of the tomb, surrounded by more than 400,000 graves, listening to the Army Band bugler playing taps: The Trump family had already suffered, he recalled thinking, and this was only the beginning.“In that moment, I also thought of all the attacks we’d already suffered as a family, and about all the sacrifices we’d have to make to help my father succeed — voluntarily giving up a huge chunk of our business and all international deals to avoid the appearance that we were ‘profiting off the office,’” Trump Jr. wrote.
If there is anything more it would be in the book.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Callous candidness isn't anymore praiseworthy.

Here is the context from from the sourced article with the quote.

If there is anything more it would be in the book.
Yes, I read the source article and found the typical chopped-up quote structure that is endemic in our modern media. The article -- and your OP -- makes it sound like he was consumed by thoughts of personal business sacrifice and the soldiers were an afterthought.

That is why I asked for a fuller quote so I could at least read the dumb-dumb comment for myself. Since I have no way of reading the full quote without buying his book (lol nope) I have no way to know if these two separate sentiments are a sentence apart or several pages apart. It's an important detail that is intentionally left out to reinforce the desired narrative.

I don't have any love for Jr. He reminds me of this kid from Saiki K.

Whether he is calloused or not is immaterial. I couldn't think of a more worthless soap-opera stay-at-home-mom drama distraction than arguing whether someone was being calloused or not. However, when your family is called traitors to the country by mainstream media and political opponents, and when your personal history is combed over constantly to see if you're a Russian agent, I'm going to agree that a bit of sacrifice took place.

Just because I agree they sacrificed doesn't mean the comment was bright nor does it mean the Trumps need to be pitied. Rather, it would be helpful to know what the actual quote was to draw a rational conclusion, and this is not unreasonable.

Unlike some, I am not satisfied by a chopped-up quote combined with "some people were outraged" as a substitute for the simple facts of the situation.

prag16

Jul 12, 2012
The comments are callous. The comments also are not a big deal that people should truly be enraged about. Both things can be the case.

Reactions: Ornlu