• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

News Donald Trump Impeached for a Second Time

O-N-E

Jul 11, 2018
Truth is, considering the current base, Trump is the best chance for a Repub President in 2024 as long as his health is alright. He changed the entire playing field. Finding someone who can carry the torch might take a while longer.

He can restrategize, and energize his base to vote like they've never voted before. All the blatant silencing is not going unmissed.

2024 Campaign Slogan -

"FINISH THE WALL"

FTW

TheContact

Gold Member
Jan 22, 2016
i heard from a republican house member opposing the impeachment that the senate vote wouldn't take place until jan 20 @1pm. would this be biden's senate or trump's? and i think mcconnell can expedite the vote. with his influence, they might get a conviction out of him even if it's just symbolic of the republican party officially condemning trump's actions and moving on from him

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Tesseract

Ornlu

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Ok so when do they do AOC, Nancy and all the others that incited the BLAMTIFA riots leading up to the death of an innocent man in Portland?

In hindsight, storming the Capitoll was very convenient for Democrats.

How DARE you say such things?!?!?!?

Democrats Wearing Kente Cloth | Know Your Meme

Halo is Dead

May 20, 2018
While I don't disagree with the verdict this really means nothing if it's not passed by the senate. The whole impeached twice thing dose not mean much if it is not followed through all the way.

sw0mp_d0nk3y

Jun 3, 2013
New Hampshire
i heard from a republican house member opposing the impeachment that the senate vote wouldn't take place until jan 20 @1pm. would this be biden's senate or trump's? and i think mcconnell can expedite the vote. with his influence, they might get a conviction out of him even if it's just symbolic of the republican party officially condemning trump's actions and moving on from him
That's when it switches. Noon. Although I doubt anything will happen quite that quickly.

Reactions: TheContact

cryptoadam

Banned
Feb 21, 2018
How about you, or anyone else, provide proof that they incited violence - as opposed to protest? Memes from Facebook don’t count. AOC’s a twat, but I’ve seen nothing to suggest she actively invited people to riot.
So where is the evidence Trump incited violence?

We have his transcript posted here we see what he said, called for peaceful protesting. Heck the timeline even shows breaking into the capitol started before his speech even ended.

If Trump can get impeached for political speech then so can the others. And if its lies that are you concern, while they lied plenty about BLM and everything else.

AOC literally told people to get radicalized. Nancy said I don't understand why their aren't uprising all over. Kamala said its not going to stop . Pressly said that people should be out on the streets. Then they all marched in these "protests". Actually marching arm and arm with rioters sounds like a gold seal of approval to me no?

Raven117

Oct 5, 2015
It will be very interesting to see what the Senate does. They only need a majority to disqualify him, but the question is whether they can try him at all. (I think they can, even after he leaves office).

cryptoadam

Banned
Feb 21, 2018
i think he knew this too. there probably wouldn't have been a 2024 trump, but now there's zero chance of that happening.

Are we even sure the guy would still be alive by then? Not like he is Mr Healthy.

Anyways its more like Don/Ivanka/Baron that the DNC is probably worried about.

Stefan.North

Mar 6, 2019
not really. democrats already had biden and the senate. you could argue it helps the republican party because it allows a lot of them a great opportunity to bail while wiping their hands from the past 4 years. trump destroyed the republican party. it's splintered like the democrats are now
It did make a good excuse for censoring him and impeaching him 2nd time making him unable to run again.

And deplatforming of Parler, purge against conservatives (bannings of 70k people on Twitter), now they are attacking Cruz and Howley and debating ending electoral colledge. It is convenient.

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
Giuliani has his hand down his pants again, thinking about how THIS time he'll get to be the one to argue Trump's case on the Senate floor.

I hope they go for a real trial this time. While I think there is some pressure to fast track this, I think the case is gonna be a lot stronger if they can piece together some real evidence, even circumstantial, of his intent or expectation.

The arguments here are going to be predictable, his defenders will argue that it's protected speech, that it doesn't meet the criminal bar for incitement (these things are probably true), that presidents are allowed to do crimes as long as they're the president when they do them.

But I think it's fairly obvious to everyone that at best Trump behaved recklessly without regard for the safety of his colleagues, and that he pulled this stunt as a deliberate effort to disrupt a constitutional process in the hopes of disrupting the government's ability to function. It's a clear violation of his oath of office and disqualifying in every way. A "high crime" if ever there was one.

As for the outcome, I really think it's still anyone's game, but even that is really saying something. The fact that conviction appears to be truly on the table this time is quite the last chapter plot twist.

Last edited:
Reactions: sw0mp_d0nk3y

FunkMiller

Aug 14, 2014

We have his transcript posted here we see what he said, called for peaceful protesting. Heck the timeline even shows breaking into the capitol started before his speech even ended.

If Trump can get impeached for political speech then so can the others. And if its lies that are you concern, while they lied plenty about BLM and everything else.

AOC literally told people to get radicalized. Nancy said I don't understand why their aren't uprising all over. Kamala said its not going to stop . Pressly said that people should be out on the streets. Then they all marched in these "protests". Actually marching arm and arm with rioters sounds like a gold seal of approval to me no?

So no evidence that any of them incited people into violence.

cryptoadam

Banned
Feb 21, 2018
So no evidence that any of them incited people into violence.

as much as there is that Trump incited.

Its the same evidence. Said inflamoatory things and lied a bunch.

Heck we can go back to the guy who shot Steve Scalia if we want and tie that to all the Russia hoax stuff too.

MrMephistoX

May 18, 2007
Maybe we’ll finally get to see his tax returns as a conviction prize in addition to barring him from office?

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Tesseract

cryptoadam

Banned
Feb 21, 2018
I think the message is clear.

If you are not a Democrat never question an election.

If you are on the left its ok though. You can even have Stacey Abrams go around for 2 years claiming she is the real Governor and have the Dems at their own convention present her as the Governor of Georgia.

So basically if you are on the left you can incite and question the election till your hearts content. You can promote violent riots and take part in them.

• Fire
Reactions: DESTROYA

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA

If you are on the left its ok though. You can even have Stacey Abrams go around for 2 years claiming she is the real Governor and have the Dems at their own convention present her as the Governor of Georgia.

So basically if you are on the left you can incite and question the election till your hearts content. You can promote violent riots and take part in them.

Politics must be real boring in Canada.

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020

I think it's important to understand that impeachment is not a criminal trial, it's essentially a process check to be used for when an official uses his power in a way that violates his oath of office or the scope of his power.

I think it would be incredibly difficult to convict Trump in criminal court unless he explicitly suggested criminal activity, but impeachment has its own set of standards, and frankly, it's very clear that Trump hoped and expected the protests to disrupt Congress and prevent them from certifying the election, that it would get out of hand enough to buy time. This is evidenced by the fact that even after the breach he was calling members of Congress and asking them to stall for as long as they could. He had worked out some stupid plan where he needed to stall, and this was all part of it.

The idea of a president violently disrupting his colleagues carrying out their constitutional duty is clearly enough to meet that standard for impeachment. It's an obvious violation of his oath of office and certainly enough to disqualify him from holding office again.

The words he said at the speech are probably not enough to put him in jail, but that's not really the point.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Feb 11, 2019
Limerick, Ireland
So..bidens been inaugurated in what 2 weeks and all everyone is talking about is still Trump.

Is this the right direction to start the opposition's presidency?

Let it go.

Dev1lXYZ

Sep 1, 2017
This is like the time Mankind got slammed through the ring! 😂 OY! The only way they can top this one is by arresting the whole Trump family. I mean there is still time on the clock.....

• Thoughtful
Reactions: sw0mp_d0nk3y

Kreen101

Sep 4, 2019
Dat "bipartisan support"... So much for Trump "losing his grip" on the Republican Party. After all the hysteria and pearl-clutching, only 10 GOP House members voted against him. 197 supported him.

Being impeached twice by the Democrats should be worn as a badge of honour by a republican president: you must be doing something right if they want to get rid of you so badly.

Reactions: Stitch

TheContact

Gold Member
Jan 22, 2016
It did make a good excuse for censoring him and impeaching him 2nd time making him unable to run again.

And deplatforming of Parler, purge against conservatives (bannings of 70k people on Twitter), now they are attacking Cruz and Howley and debating ending electoral colledge. It is convenient.

parler had a lot of content about the planning of the riot on the capitol. Amazon, a private business, decided they didn’t want to host that content and shut them off. This is capitalism. This is what republicans have been pushing for so long. The 70k accounts that were banned were qanon accounts. Thank god Twitter got rid of that shit. And fuck Cruz and howley. They were complicit in pushing the bullshit that led to the riot. The will of the people, right?

• Fire
Reactions: ArtemisClydeFrog

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020

You can ask questions, but you gotta accept answers, man. Did you hear his call to Raffensperger? And the press conference from the next day? Like all of this shit has been investigated, there's just nothing there.

And then, like clockwork, Trump goes "Well, I just still think it's true." Ok, but like, fuck you then.

Reactions: AfricanKing