• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns announced [N-CONF]

Twig

Banned
Looks great, sounds great.

Hope David Wise comes back. O:

Best part? No sign of the inbred Kong family. Let's hope it stays that way.

Spotless Mind said:
I was meh on the idea of Retro doing DK since i wanna see them tackle something original, but whatever cos this looks amazing.

It really does. I got hyped as soon as I heard the DKC music.

I can't wait to get my hands on this and Kirby.

Do we have screens?

Along with Other M's ridiculous trailer, my favourite part of the conference. DKC + art of Jungle Beat = Amazing.

Retro look to have done a fantastic job with this.

54-46!

So, the studio that fully realized Metroid in 3D and made it amazing, creates a Donkey Kong Country rehash in 2D.

.. pisses me off.

Salsa

HYPE

also, i see co-op, dk and diddy are definetly moving at very different paces in one part of the trailer.

Looks great. And looks fun. Lots of fun. As Nintendo moves to establish 3D on their handheld, I can't believe we're getting so many 2D platformers on Wii. A renaissance for sure.

ZiZ

SalsaShark said:
HYPE

also, i see co-op, dk and diddy are definetly moving at very different paces in one part of the trailer.

yeah

on the website it says:
Genre: 2-D Platformer
Players: 1 - 2
Release: Holiday 2010

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Kurtofan said:
I hope the levels' names are still alliterations and puns :D

Indeed. :D

The Wii is getting so many awesome games this year. It's almost unbelievable.

ZiZ

also:
Controlled by a group of evil Tikis, the animals in Donkey Kong Island have raided Donkey Kong's Banana Hoard and stolen his stash of bananas - and he understandably wants them back. Retro Studios brings Donkey Kong™ back in a new side-scrolling adventure with familiar characters and new levels that reignite the passion players had for the Super NES™ original.

Features:

* Retro Studios faithfully restores everything that made the original series great, from barrel cannons to mine carts, and then builds on those elements with stunning graphics and new layers of depth to the world and game play. The game offers the traditional side-scrolling experience everyone loved, but with levels created in fully rendered 3-D environments.

* Diddy Kong™ joins the quest. With his trusty backpack, he can produce a jet pack or Peanut Pop Guns to give Donkey Kong more abilities.
* For the first time ever, the franchise features the ability for two people to play together at the same time (additional accessories required and are sold separately) - one as Donkey Kong, one as Diddy Kong. Players can navigate the levels separately or as one unit. Diddy Kong can ride on Donkey Kong's back and hop off whenever he pleases, allowing novice players to ride on Donkey Kong's back through more challenging areas of the game.

*Hidden items, puzzle pieces and other surprises are found all through the jungle. Spell out K-O-N-G by the end of each level to earn an extra bonus.

* Motion controls give players a real feeling of control. Players move Donkey Kong using the Control Stick on the Nunchuk™ controller and can shake the Wii Remote™ controller to make Donkey Kong slap the ground.

* Vibrant colors, beautiful graphics and fun characters draw players in. Even people who have never played a Donkey Kong game before can pick up a controller and start collecting loads of bananas.

* Every level offers new fun and new challenges. Sometimes Donkey Kong is running through the jungle, sometimes his action takes place on a tropical beach and other times he must become a master of timing as he jumps chasms in a mine cart.

Nostalgia relying entirely on nostalgia for sales and hype.

The platforming looks really really standard and unimaginative. At least it's more fast paced than I recall the old dkc playing, but then again that may be because this is a trailer showing "cool" stuff in small doses.

Oh wait, I mean, holy moly it's a game that reminds me of something I played as a kid. Goty!

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I think this was the most exciting thing at Nintendo's Wii lineup for me. I fucking loved Jungle Beat, and it's great to see a lot of the influences of that melded with DKC.

quetz67

Banned
I will probably play it because I loved the originals to death...but I think they actually looked better than this new version. Some nice pseudo 3D, but it doesnt really convince me.

LOVE the fact it's just Donkey and Diddy. As much as I like Dixie, it's back to basics and that is exactly what this franchise needed. This is the game that will make the franchise huge again.

Mr. B Natural said:

The platforming looks really really standard and unimaginative. At least it's more fast paced than I recall the old dkc playing, but then again that may be because this is a trailer showing "cool" stuff in small doses.

Oh wait, I mean, holy moly it's a game that reminds me of something I played as a kid. Goty!

The Donkey Kong games, particularly the second, were terrific so I'm not sure the problem of having another game that plays like them?

Galang

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
LOVE the fact it's just Donkey and Diddy. As much as I like Dixie, it's back to basics and that is exactly what this franchise needed. This is the game that will make the franchise huge again.

Hopefully, DK is still a popular character and has a lot of potential. :D

Trailer looks really nice, loving the co-op functions.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
_Alkaline_ said:

I like that too as a start, but honestly the diddy/dixie combo was the best in the series so hopefully this can be the start of a franchise and we can see a similar progression... minus 3, which I still liked, but was a step backwards.

Galang said:
Hopefully, DK is still a popular character and has a lot of potential. :D

Trailer looks really nice, loving the co-op functions.

It's so true, I never understood why he's so underutilized.

Brashnir

Mr. B Natural said:

Want an imaginitive 2D platformer? They showed one of those too.

BowieZ

Banned
Mr. B Natural said:

Cygnus X-1

retrostudios.jpg

harSon

Banned
Conceptually speaking, it doesn't look like too big of a departure from the old Donkey Kong Country games, but I don't give a shit.

LOOKS FUCKING AMAZING.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
_Alkaline_ said:

I sincerely hope this game does well. There is nothing I wouldn't do to see this turn into another trilogy.

Somebody sneak into Retro and see if you can find any evidence at all that Wise is composing the score. :lol

_Alkaline_ said:
The Donkey Kong games, particularly the second, were terrific so I'm not sure the problem of having another game that plays like them?

They were pretty basic but solid. There wasn't much to distinguish itself from other platformers other than the graphics which at the time were amazing.
The old DKC's were fine, but there was no reason to continue making them and customers pretty much agreed. So they stopped.

10 years later - things haven't changed. Still no reason to keep making them other than for nostalgia's sake. More reboots, remakes and safe sequels - that's what this industry needs! Super safe remake-esque sequels make reboots seem risque and artistic.

I don't understand how someone can roll their eyes to another COD but go apeshit over this. Pun intended of course :lol

I'm all for reboots like the new Kirby or Epic Mickey, but this pure nostalgia for nostalgia's sake stuff needs to stop. I don't care if you're talking about DKC, COD, Zelda or GoW. Gaf's double standards when it comes to it needs to stop as well. Unless a game has a narrative that needs to continue and or the developers have a slew of fantastic new ideas to implement (mario galaxy or cod4), a sequel seems unnecessary to me.

I guess you guys have your fun putting your rose tinted glasses back on. I just find it strange that people were slipping their red glasses off for one day after the abysmall ms e3 showing because they noticed how silly waggle and sequel after sequel gets only to put them back on after nintendo showed a bunch of shitty waggle and a slew of uninteresting sequels. Makes NO sense to me.

Brashnir said:
Want an imaginitive 2D platformer? They showed one of those too.

This is true. They did and I look forward to that one and to me that was Nintendo's highlight along with Epic Mickey that impressed me.

By no means am I saying that Nintendo's showing was nearly as bad as MS's. At least Nintendo had a couple of truly imaginative and interesting things to show this year that used nostalgia, but didn't rely almost entirely on nostalgia.

Gilby

Mr. B Natural said:
I don't understand how someone can roll their eyes to another COD but go apeshit over this. Pun intended of course :lol

COD comes out every year and is aimed squarely at the "bro" audience. How long has it been since the last DKC game?

Top Bottom