• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

epmode

Anony said:
i just tried this, version 1 and 2
and i get unsupported controller for both

can anyone confirm if this works or not

(the layout is a=2,b=1, y=waggle)
I just tested it now and it works for me. Waggle is Y, 2 is A, 1 is B.

This game is so amazing. Played some co-op last night with some friends and go to world 5. We had a ton of deaths due to stupid shit but we didn't even care. We were having way to much fun! :D

Kard8p3

Sgt.Pepper said:
The best boss battles in any DK game are on Jungle Beat. You're wrong if you think otherwise.

I haven't played returns yet so I can't comment on it but of the DKC games I've played (1 and 2) I've not liked the boss battles in any. Jungle beat had ok boss fights but they got old fast.

Kard8p3 said:
I haven't played returns yet so I can't comment on it but of the DKC games I've played (1 and 2) I've not liked the boss battles in any. Jungle beat had ok boss fights but they got old fast.
Apart from King K. Rool, none of the bosses in the Country trilogy stands out at all. At least Jungle Beat bosses were pretty cool, especially the Martial Arts Kong, plus they presented a challenge in that you shouldn't get hit by them if you want to get Gold Crown on that level.

Adam J.

jett said:
Yeah...boss battles weren't this game's strong suit.

Ah man, I thought they were great. Bosses had tons of personality, and some were tough as nails (that damn train boss drove me up the wall).

epmode

I don't remember the original trilogy having any great bosses, outside of maybe K.Rool. Returns is breaking the trend! I love the death animations too.

I like the bosses.

Nothing too special but consistently decent and much better than the bosses from the first game and some from the second though that game had much improved bosses.

Not sure what the bosses were like in 3.

Lijik

Sgt.Pepper said:
The best boss battles in any DK game are on Jungle Beat. You're wrong if you think otherwise.
Only the kong-on-kong punch outy fights, the rest are on the same level as the 4 DKC games.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I just dont like the levels where you have to ride inside the jet barrels. The controls just feel a little off, and i died way too many cheap deaths in those levels. I feel at times you barely hit the button to accelerate, and the boost goes into overkill for some reason and i slam into the ceiling....

Oh and i HATED
the damn minecart boss.....

Nose Master

No, pig. I don't want you to fucking beat this level for me. You're an asshole.

5-k
WHY DONT YOU HAVE A DIDDY BARREL.

Oh and i HATED
the damn minecart boss.....

You know you can just rolljump towards him before he starts whipping axes / chase sequence to make that fight a loooot easier.

Socreges

Banned
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
The jetpack is fine.

I don't think Retro needs to do anything differently control wise except maybe shut everyone up by giving them button presses alternatives again.

I like the controls better in this game than the old series easily.

The bonus levels tell me the controls are spot on.
FFS let people criticize your precious game. :lol You've been doing this throughout the entire thread.

Up to world 6 now. Loving the level design, but I'm not finding the game to be all that challenging yet. The K levels are brutal, though. Awesomely brutal.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I don't mind the waggle once I figured out it worked better moving the Wiimote vertically rather than a horizontal flick. Still, doing time trials like that isn't appealing.

Nose Master said:
You know you can just rolljump towards him before he starts whipping axes / chase sequence to make that fight a loooot easier.
That makes it quicker, but I think it's only the end that's tough. I'm putting that one off for
mirror mode

Socreges said:
FFS let people criticize your precious game. :lol You've been doing this throughout the entire thread.

Up to world 6 now. Loving the level design, but I'm not finding the game to be all that challenging yet. The K levels are brutal, though. Awesomely brutal.

That's all you fucking do is look for posts to bitch about.

Opinions are opinions.

I have nothing vested in this game, I just find it about as flawless as any game I have played in recent memory.

I think some people are reaching and are petty, that's an opinion, no need for you to play drama queen messageboard games.

I haven't insulted anyone really, just had a differing opinion and expressed it in a 100% genuine fashion.

Not enough talk about the game.

I've put on hour into this and finished the first area, and I want to slap whoever thought it was a good idea to add in the motion controls. For fuck's sake, the C button doesn't even have a use! The image quality seems a bit worse than Metroid Prime: Corruption.

Socreges

Banned
Image quality? I think the game is gorgeous; basically perfect for what they've tried to do. I had a couple friends playing co-op while I just watched and I was able to really appreciate the amount of detail in the backgrounds. Really lush, beautiful game. I can't wait to see what the last couple worlds look like.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Opinions are opinions.
Just keep that in mind. Because the post that I quoted does not demonstrate a respect for differences. And you've been relentless. At least provide an cogent argument against the criticisms instead of strictly "The jetpack is fine" and "maybe shut everyone up". :lol

Maybe if there were people in here saying things like "This game is shit because..." you wouldn't be so butthurt over such reasonable complaints. :p

Socreges said:
Image quality? I think the game is gorgeous; basically perfect for what they've tried to do.
Something about it kind of gives me a headache. The backgrounds are fantastic, as is the overall art direction.

HeySeuss

I absolutely hated the bat level with the rocket barrel. That is until I accidentaly figured out that you do not use the d-pad, only the acceleration controls the height of the barrel.

Once I realized this, I was able to do it perfectly fine. I felt really stupid for not noticing it sooner. I don't even know how many times I died. Ugh.

Dubble

I dunno - concerning Donley Kong bosses that aren't K. Rool - KAOS (the giant robot that you have to fight twice in DKC3), and the K. Rool Kut-Out from DK64 (even if that game was terrible) were great/memorable boss battles IMO.

That and the vulture in the pirate ship that shot coconuts out at you in DKC2.

I HAAAAAAAATE the rocket barrel/minecart stages. Just trial and error, memorization bullshit designed to sap your lives and your patience. Of course, some of my frustration might stem from the fact that I'm forcing myself to get all the KONG letters in every level on my first run :lol I appreciate that they made the effort to make them all unique, but the game started to remind me of LIMBO tonight as I played..."oh that thing just killed me, but there was no way I could have known it was about to happen". Then I memorize where to jump/rocket to, until the next cheap part. Reminds me of the vehicle stages in Battletoads too, actually. See, this game is true to the Rare legacy!:D

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The time trials really prove how solid the level design is. Such amazing flow.

JoeFenix

EatChildren said:
The time trials really prove how solid the level design is. Such amazing flow.

This is the best level design i've ever seen in a platformer, it's consistently amazing.

Retro Studios has ascended to God Tier as far as I'm concerned!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Tricky I Shadow said:
Yeah, Retro Studios = best developer in the world at the moment. :D

Thats not how you spell Valve.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Buckethead said:
Just finished World 2. Does it get better?

Keep playing. Forest world will make you say wow.

I've been meaning to play Jungle Beat for a long time, and being in a general DK-mood right now might finally tip me over the edge. How's the Wii version?

Alright. I shall stick at it.

World 2 improved on World 1, but I miss the cheesiness of the first games.
That and roll not mapped to the A button annoys the hell out of me.

EatChildren

AniHawk said:
Have I mentioned lately that I love you?

Only every time I remove the ball gag.

EVH

EatChildren said:
Thats not how you spell Valve.

Since Metroid Prime I've always seen Retro Studios as the "Nintendo Valve". That's why I'd love to see Nintendo givin them great offices, more money, more people, etc...

Would love to see Retro with 2 o 3 teams working on independent projects and at least one doing things for 3DS.

Hylian7

Dear World 8-3,

You are hard as fuck. As soon as I saw the title of it being "Roasting Rails", I knew I had to prepare myself for the anal raping that was about to occur. After world 4, I knew that minecart levels weren't getting any easier. GAFfer Sir Ilpalazzo was co-oping it with me when we got to this stage. By the time we finally beat it, 50 FUCKING MINUTES had gone by. That's right, 50 minutes on one level. We both died so many damn times in so many ways. When we finally got to the checkpoint, I had never been so happy to see that damn spectacled pig in my entire life. Many balloons were lost that day. We got to the part after the checkpoint where you have to swing on the grass ceilings, and then after jumping off one platform, THERE IS A MOTHERFUCKING FIREBALL RIGHT THE FUCK THERE. It killed both of us! We nearly threw Wiimotes at the TV. On one attempt, Sir Ilpalazzo died, and we had no balloons left, so it was up to me. I made the last jump, and could then see that end-of-level barrel for the first time. It was so close, but as I soon realized, so far away. I jumped too soon, and missed the ledge by the size of Diddy's baby toe. A TV was almost broken after that. Finally, after a few more attempts, we made it. Holy shit that was a difficult level.

......and I loved every minute of it, thank you Nintendo and Retro.

Love,

Hylian7

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
ninj4junpei said:
I've put on hour into this and finished the first area, and I want to slap whoever thought it was a good idea to add in the motion controls. For fuck's sake, the C button doesn't even have a use! The image quality seems a bit worse than Metroid Prime: Corruption.
In terms of resolution, it's exactly the same as Prime 3. Unfortunately, they appear to be using 16-bit color with DKCR rather than 24-bit color like all three Prime games. There is a lot of dithering present in transparencies.

Creamium said:
Keep playing. Forest world will make you say wow.

I've been meaning to play Jungle Beat for a long time, and being in a general DK-mood right now might finally tip me over the edge. How's the Wii version?

Its amazing. Although you do have to waggle to use dk's clap, which is used frequently. Level design is great and focuses on building a multiplier by performing stunts. This multiplier racks up your score as you collect bananas. No shitty friends, not even diddy, although there are animals you can ride. It was the Super Mario Galaxy guys' first game, I believe you like smg.

JoeFenix said:
Wow the level design in this game continues to impress the hell out of me, World 5 has been my favorite so far!

Just did a Shiny Gold of 5-4 and that was one of the most satisfying videogame relates things I've done in a while.... so good!

Here's a link if anyone is interested http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5HQl-MeQYo
Retro really did a good job with the level design. It especially shines when you do Time Trials, my favorite has to be 5-2 and the spider level (5-7?).

EatChildren

mclem said:
Retro actually release games.

Occasionally.

Valve has released more products than Retro, in the time frame between Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong Country: Returns.

Yes, I want Episode 3 too :'(

Hylian7

EatChildren said:
Valve has released more products than Retro, in the time frame between Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong Country: Returns.

Yes, I want Episode 3 too :'(
HL2: E2 spoiler/joke:

At least they didn't kill Cranky Kong at the end of DKCR then wait 3 years to release the next game....yet

I shall buy this on Friday when it comes out. And there shall be booze, and good times.

fS0h5.png

Like this.

taoofjord

I have to say that I was disappointed that World 4 was entirely minecart levels. It really threw off the great pacing of the game. And then World 5's first level didn't even start with a normal platforming level either, which futher annoyed me. I hope the world's 6, 7, and 8 (however many worlds there are...) don't drop the feel of the platforming in the first 3 worlds... that'd be quite a shame.

Top Bottom