• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze announced for WiiU

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I know this is speculation and similar things have been said about 3D World as a 3DS port, but I feel like this may have been originally a Wii game.

Could be completely wrong, but that's honestly immediately what I thought of when I saw the trailer in the E3 ND. It just feels like a Wii game they made HD and then added some cool effects to here and there (the fur and the jelly).

Hiccup

Banned
Question; for those who have DKC3 on the Wii VC, does it allow you to gift the game? Since owning it allows you to still access the game's Shop Channel page. It's the only one I'm missing and would buy a card and give it to someone who can gift the game to me.

Just checked; nope :(

Shiggy

Question; for those who have DKC3 on the Wii VC, does it allow you to gift the game? Since owning it allows you to still access the game's Shop Channel page. It's the only one I'm missing and would buy a card and give it to someone who can gift the game to me.

I don't think so. You were also able to access the store page from the Nintendo Channel (when that was still active) and you could neither buy nor gift the game.

RagnarokX

Yea. Lets compare the launch lineup to second year holiday luneup. Makes sense. Total sense. Though it will make it even funnier when the PS4/XB1each sell more hardware this holiday than the Wii U.

LMAO. It´s a extremelx pityful lineup compared to the other consoles.

"Wii U's lineup is worse than PS4 and XBO. Wii U just has sequels and ports!"

"PS4 and XBO have sequels and ports, too..."

"Why are you comparing Wii U's lineup to PS4 and XBO? Wii U sucks!"

I know this is speculation and similar things have been said about 3D World as a 3DS port, but I feel like this may have been originally a Wii game.

Could be completely wrong, but that's honestly immediately what I thought of when I saw the trailer in the E3 ND. It just feels like a Wii game they made HD and then added some cool effects to here and there (the fur and the jelly).

It definitely looks like a Wii game through and through. The foliage, the low detail textures, the low poly environments.
This is one game that the more I see of it, the more I'm disappointed. Especially considering what Retro pulled off with the last game and the MP series as a whole.

Lumyst

It´s a mixture of shovelware, 2 unambitious rehashes and a HD Remake. So yeah, pretty much.

Hey! I'll have you know that Wii Party U has ambitions to be the definitive party game! :p (And if it bombs and the casual audience doesn't return to the WiiU, then for the typical gamers who own WiiU's and never wanted Wii Party U and wanted graphically ambitious Nintendo games, then yes, the lineup might leave something to be desired.) My fear is that Nintendo is equipped to make casual and party games in the vein of Wii Party U and Wii Sports, but if that audience is gone, that leaves them unequipped to profit off of and serve the desires of the more "devoted" gamers.

I'm actually playing DKCR on the Wii now and it's a joy to play, it's even got some artsy levels too so I'm of the camp of "gameplay before graphics" (with a little bit of "why not both?" thrown in). It does cost the same as new Wii titles did though so I won't complain about graphics.

Shiggy

Highly unlikely. DKCR was finished at the end of 2010 and in 2011, the Wii U was announced. In that year, they were pretty busy with MK7, so DKCR:TF probably didn't enter full production until late 2011.

That DKCR:TF looks like a Wii game in HD is more the result of a lack of technical competency and ambition.

Highly unlikely. DKCR was finished at the end of 2010 and in 2011, the Wii U was announced. In that year, they were pretty busy with MK7, so DKCR:TF probably didn't enter full production until late 2011.

That DKCR:TF looks like a Wii game in HD is more the result of a lack of technical competency and ambition.

The quote from E3 about the fur shader significantly increasing the games budget should tell you all you need about the games budget.

Lumyst

The quote from E3 about the fur shader significantly increasing the games budget should tell you all you need about the games budget.

It'll be interesting to see how things proceed for Nintendo. They want to deliberately hold back on graphics and claim that the race to get the biggest/best graphics is costly, and that it is better and more profitable to do different things with games rather than chase better graphics. Playing together, gameplay rather than story, different control schemes, etc. Do people see Nintendo as bigger and more capable than Ubisoft, for instance, with its teams of hundreds of people per game, or bigger and more capable than EA. Do third parties want to work with a platform holder that seems to struggle to match their own output and ambitions. The games as toys philosophy appears to work for the handhelds, but the game console as a device appears to be seen like a ticket to Universal Studios rather than a ticket to the carnival.

And on topic, the fur shader quote was a translation, so eh, I forget if they said it would increase the costs, or if it would "significantly increase the budget" relative to what it already was. You've played the game though so I'll take your word that the current build is rough around the edges graphically.

It'll be interesting to see how things proceed for Nintendo. They want to deliberately hold back on graphics and claim that the race to get the biggest/best graphics is costly, and that it is better and more profitable to do different things with games rather than chase better graphics. Playing together, gameplay rather than story, different control schemes, etc. Do people see Nintendo as bigger and more capable than Ubisoft, for instance, with its teams of hundreds of people per game, or bigger and more capable than EA. Do third parties want to work with a platform holder that seems to struggle to match their own output and ambitions. The games as toys philosophy appears to work for the handhelds, but the game console as a device appears to be seen like a ticket to Universal Studios rather than a ticket to the carnival.

And on topic, the fur shader quote was a translation, so eh, I forget if they said it would increase the costs, or if it would "significantly increase the budget" relative to what it already was. You've played the game though so I'll take your word that the current build is rough around the edges graphically.

It's not around the edges, it's the game itself. It looks cheap. The environments are horribly low poly, but now the texture design can't hide it anymore like it did on the Wii.

If it weren't for the amazing visual design, the game would look absolutely appaling on it's technical merits.

Hermii

I felt like it was originally 3ds. However Im sure the retail game will look significantly better than the e3 demo.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
I think that Tropical Freeze may have originally been intended for the Game Boy Advance...

Shiggy

I think that Tropical Freeze may have originally been intended for the Game Boy Advance...

I wish they sticked to the style of the GBA games! Would such graphics be possible on current gen consoles?

dkc1kkkyc.jpg

dkc2jtk3z.jpg

Shiggy

Maybe not current-gen, so Wii U is out of the question

I'd guessed so. I'm surprised they created such high quality assets in the 90s, shows how ambitious they were. Obviously, for SNES games they had to be scaled down. But just imagine if Retro just showed a bit of Rare's ambition and proved that the Wii U was capable of more than Wii graphics at a higher resolution.

D-e-f-

Banned
Well, I can't remember seeing a game with such high quality assets on any current gen console. Would you mind naming examples?

Would prove the laziness/inability of Retro, however.

Wait what? You need me to compare 1995 pre-rendered CG to modern assets? Seeing the full-quality image of the backgrounds is cool and all but do you actually think this looks better than what's out now? Or are you talking about the clean IQ of that shot first shot?

Shiggy

Wait what? You need me to compare 1995 pre-rendered CG to modern assets? Seeing the full-quality image of the backgrounds is cool and all but do you actually think this looks better than what's out now? Or are you talking about the clean IQ of that shot first shot?

I certainly think it does look better than what we are getting today. I can't remember any current gen game looking this clean and with such texturing. No juggles and no low poly objects.
When I look at something like Trine 2, The Cave or DKCR, I think we have not reached the graphical quality shown in those two, pre - rendered shots.

D-e-f-

Banned
cancellation incoming

its like 9/11 all over again

Tomorrow we'll hear that the game actually came out in March. It was a secret unlockable in Lego City Undercover and nobody bought that and/or found it thus the game bombed and Retro got canceled and the world ends after the launch of Wii Fit U and in the afterlife we'll all be forced to play New Super Mario Bros. 2-HD but without multiplayer because Warner Bros. Montreal developed it.

alan666

Banned
doesn't look to inspiring really, not sure of the people commenting on next-gen or not, the WiiU isn't next-gen so it doesn't make a difference, it is what were are going to get.

just looks like it is a cut & past of NSMBU to me, i got Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D for my 3DS i think i will stick with that, at least Yarn Yoshi is something a bit different even if it is just a LBP rip-off.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Thread has now gone from "omg nintendo sucks for this rumoured delay" to "graphics are so last gen!":)

Very well then

D-e-f-

Banned
doesn't look to inspiring really, not sure of the people commenting on next-gen or not, the WiiU isn't next-gen so it doesn't make a difference, it is what were are going to get.

just looks like it is a cut & past of NSMBU to me, i got Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D for my 3DS i think i will stick with that, at least Yarn Yoshi is something a bit different even if it is just a LBP rip-off.

Here's what I don't get: you go into every Nintendo-related thread and post the most asinine thing you can come up with that makes you look like you have no clue about anything you ever talk about. Why bring up this "Wii U ain't next gen" bullocks here? How can anyone with eyes and a brain call DKCTF a NSMBU cut&paste or Yarn Yoshi a LBP rip-off.

You're definitely the weirdest drive-by troll around this neck of the woods.

Shiggy

Yarn Yoshi is not a LBP rip-off. You didn't see the gamrplay it seems.

While I strongly refrain from saying that it's a LBP rip-off (wouldn't even come up with that), I want to mention that they haven't published any gameplay footage yet.
Edit: They have.

So far Yarn Yoshi looks like a Kirby's Epic Yarn successor than anything else, which is not at all surprising seeing as it's made by Good Feel.

D-e-f-

Banned
While I strongly refrain from saying that it's a LBP rip-off (wouldn't even come up with that), I want to mention that they haven't published any gameplay footage yet.

They have. Unless you only accept gameplay when it means someone is playing a game and you can see that they're holding a controller at a demo station or something. The announcement came with screenshots and a video.

LMAO. It´s a extremelx pityful lineup compared to the other consoles.

could you please specify why you think games like

Pikmin 3,
Wonderful 101,
Sonic Lost World,
Wii Party U,
Wii Sports Club,
Wii Fit U,
Zelda Wind Waker HD,
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze,
Mario 3D Land,
Sonic and Mario at the Sochi Olympics

are pityful and from what perspective?

Is it that the games have no sales potential?
Is it that the games are inherently bad?
is it that there are more exclusive games on the PS4, Xbone at launch?

It´s a mixture of shovelware, 2 unambitious rehashes and a HD Remake. So yeah, pretty much.

could you specify the shovelware and the unambitious rehashes part (which ones are rehashes which ones are shovelware)?

could you also specify what an ambitious rehash would be compared to a unambitious one?

D-e-f-

Banned

Pikmin 3,
Wonderful 101,
Sonic Lost World,
Wii Party U,
Wii Sports Club,
Wii Fit U,
Zelda Wind Waker HD,
Mario 3D Land,

could you specify the shovelware and the unambitious rehashes part (which ones are rehashes which ones are shovelware)?

could you also specify what an ambitious rehash would be compared to a unambitious one?

boyz-n-the-hood-drive8mjuz.gif

don't expect a response.

daripad

Trolls just say what they want, the don't even do a bit of research to say things in Nintendo threads.

And DKCTF looks good, but I'm more worried about the amount of levels it will include since it will have 6 worlds (plus surprises) and Returns had 8 (plus surprise). We know that these new levels will be longer but I still wish we would get more levels than we had in Returns.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
lol, this last page has been hilarious. Trolling so transparent i really can't fathom how...oh well

I really hope game isn't delayed in Europe, it's one of my most anticipated titles this year...maybe even more than SM3DW

Pikmin 3,
Wonderful 101,
Sonic Lost World,
Wii Party U,
Wii Sports Club,
Wii Fit U,
Zelda Wind Waker HD,
Mario 3D Land,

Not a single ambitious game that shows off the generational leap which people expected. Half of those could easily be mistaken for 3DS/Wii games on first sight. Not only due to lazy technical efforts, but the gameplay between something like DKCR and DKCF also literally didn't change at all. It's a map pack, maybe a more tolerable one than that piss poor effort NSMBU, but still pretty lazy. (Yeah, I finished that one and anyone claiming superiority over SMW is completely nuts :lol) Sure, there is W101 but not even Nintendo gives a shit about that one. Sonic will also be on 3DS in almost identical form. In other words, nothing of that is worth 300bucks+. Just keep playing your New Mario and Wii party games on the original Wii and you get the same experience.
The first game that looks actually decent and worth getting a new system for is Mario Kart. This is what Nintendo in HD should look like, plus with the gravitation elements it also shows off more gameplay evolution than your insulting Wii minigames and whatnot. After that there's maybe Yoshi and Xeno and god knows when those come out.

However, XB1 and PS4 look equally pathetic and uninspired. Next Gen is pretty shitty all around, 3DS is okay but also a little lacklustre compared to the DS.

KHlover

Banned
Oh wow, this thread is a trainwreck. Is anyone on NeoGAF actually looking forward to playing this game? All I see are some drive-by trolls and some graphic fetishists, doesn't anyone care about the actual gameplay?

daripad

Oh wow, this thread is a trainwreck. Is anyone on NeoGAF actually looking forward to playing this game? All I see are some drive-by trolls and some graphic fetishists, doesn't anyone care about the actual gameplay?
Me but I still can't get a WiiU and I still don't know if the water segments will be fun or will drag the experience

Not a single ambitious game that shows off the generational leap which people expected. Half of those could easily be mistaken for 3DS/Wii games on first sight. Not only due to lazy technical efforts, but the gameplay between something like DKCR and DKCF also literally didn't change at all. It's a map pack, maybe a more tolerable one than that piss poor effort NSMBU, but still pretty lazy. (Yeah, I finished that one and anyone claiming superiority over SMW is completely nuts :lol) Sure, there is W101 but not even Nintendo gives a shit about that one. Sonic will also be on 3DS in almost identical form. In other words, nothing of that is worth 300bucks+. Just keep playing your New Mario and Wii party games on the original Wii and you get the same experience.
The first game that looks actually decent and worth getting a new system for is Mario Kart. This is what Nintendo in HD should look like, plus with the gravitation elements it also shows off more gameplay evolution than your insulting Wii minigames and whatnot. After that there's maybe Yoshi and Xeno and god knows when those come out.

I wasnt claiming a generational leap for those games. I was just saying that they are not extremely pityful shovelware. thats what AOC was claiming and I was asking him to specify why he thinks so.

sure DKC, mario 3D land, sonic lost world etc. dont look like they are revolutionary at all but look like solid sequels for their respective predecessors. but then again is that such a bad thing when pretty much all big games nowadays are sequels and even new IP games are usually within an established genre?

However, XB1 and PS4 look equally pathetic and uninspired. Next Gen is pretty shitty all around, 3DS is okay but also a little lacklustre compared to the DS.
that i agree with.

Top Bottom