• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country's 25th Anniversary | GameXplain

1994 was a great year. At the time I kinda accepted that the Super NES went out with a bang with Super Metroid. And then I saw footage of Donkey Kong Country on a French television channel. I was blown away. It remains my favorite Christmas gift I ever got.

It is one of the games I know inside-out, and I 101% the game from time to time. The graphics, excellent soundtrack, attention to detail, and overall atmosphere are great, but it is the game's flow that remains the most enjoyable part of the experience I think; the satisfaction of nailing the required timings, and the clearing of enemies at a fast pace does it for me.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
shame it's CUCKexplain i love the game.
but i can't stand 2 seconds of this SOYBOY's voice

segers-andre-image.jpg

Carton

I replayed this with some friends during some downtime on a recent group holiday. Good times.

The graphics just blew me away the first time I saw it. I remember all the talk in the school playground was about ’silicon graphics’. And that soundtrack; i enjoy listening to it to this day.

I remember even as a kid being annoyed by the hype and narrative around the graphics of these games. "Silicon graphics" 3D blah blah blah they are just sprites like any other game lol. Just because they are 3D rendered doesn't make them any better than other games!

That said the graphics are awesome and have a great cohesive style, even if they scream early 3D rendering at times. The games are so good too, though I was never able to get into 3. Like Crash 3, something just felt off and I didnt care for it.

IKSTUGA

First game I ever owned, love it to death. The art, music and gameplay are just timeless. I'm still waiting for a proper DKC sequel. The modern sequels look and feel like cheap plastic to me.

chris121580

I replayed this with some friends during some downtime on a recent group holiday. Good times.

The graphics just blew me away the first time I saw it. I remember all the talk in the school playground was about ’silicon graphics’. And that soundtrack; i enjoy listening to it to this day.

This song and game...so much nostalgia for me. Gives me all the feels

That game brings back such good memories.

Hell, my wife doesn't play vidja at all and even she loved that game.

Everyone close who saw the game loved it...my late grandmother, my parents, ... Hell, my mom enjoyed seeing me playing the game again after all these years recently.

A joy to play, but also to look at and to listen to.

Beautiful game, so many great memories finishing it over and over again. The controls are tight as fuck so the game still holds up. It's terrible if you're into secret hunting but if you don't obsess over it then it's just a blast.

SNES truly is the GOAT.

I have one major problem with this game; the bonus sections. It is so easy to attain extra lives that these bonus rooms are not needed. Worst part of it is, when you collect three Animal Tokens the game abruptly takes you out of the game into these sections, often completely unintentionally, and you have to start all over again, or at the last checkpoint after finishing them.

Jacknapes

Never played Donkey Kong Country on original hardware, but have done via the Wii and 3DS VC. Can't fault the game as a classic.

RAIDEN1

Having replayed it and played for the first time DKC2 and 3 recently there is no doubt they are tough games...

Side note: Never heard this before till fairly recently, but Graeme Norgate remade the track Misty Menace for the Summer CES 1994 (not E3 - which did not exist yet).

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Awesome thread.

I remember vividly receiving the final EEPROM of this game in September 1994. It was tall as a tower, no plastic casing, just the PWB. Was absolutely blown away after watching and rewatching all E3 B-Rolls.

earthbound-prototype1.jpg

Most fun memory was when we did a weekend popup with the game a month and a half ahead of the launch. Sega was doing a popup too, with a pre-release Sonic & Knuckles. Good times.

Last edited:
Top Bottom