• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong II at the arcade!

Xenon

Well, its fan made, but its there to play at Funspot Arcade in New Hampshire. Its amazing that the guy was able to fit this on the original rom. Its been around for over a year and I had no idea. The only reason I found it was I happen to be looking for news on a Virtual Console Arcade release of Donkey Kong and DKjr. In a dream world Nintendo would publish DKII on there are well.

160pfdv.jpg

There is a video with an interview with Jeff Kulczycki the creator but it has links to where you can purchase the rom upgrade. You would have to have a board with a DK rom already, but Im not taking any chances with the TOS on this. If a mod lets me know its ok, Ill post the link.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I desperately want to get back to FunSpot... it's been years... and I get to go back in July!!!!

I'll seek this out when I'm there. Looks great actually.

Sanjuro

I played this about a month ago at a drunken adventure at Funspot. Game is ridiculously hard at first attempts.

It's kinda neat like the Tempest "Tubes" ROM that Duncan Brown did 15 years ago. I'm glad Nintendo made real sequels with new assets and gameplay features (Donkey Kong Jr., for example) but it's always cool to see the hobbyist mods.

shuri

Banned
I am disgusted by this blatant violation of copyright, i've emailed the thread and infos to my local authorities, the FBI, the ISDA, the camgirls the idiots in the OT harrrassed last week, reggie's twitter account and Nintendo of Japan. Do not support this, gaffers!

Acosta

shuri said:
I am disgusted by this blatant violation of copyright, i've emailed the thread and infos to my local authorities, the FBI, the ISDA, the camgirls the idiots in the OT harrrassed last week, reggie's twitter account and Nintendo of Japan. Do not support this, gaffers!

The sad thing is that probably some Nintendo fanatic will do that.

btrboyev

I remember there was supposed to be an actual donkey kong 2 game for the nes which was announced back in 87 or 88 in nintendo fun club magazine.

Xenon

Tobor said:
I thought this thread was about a real sequel. Son of a...

I wish, Nintendo seems to care very little for the game that put them on the video game map.

Xenon said:
I wish, Nintendo seems to care very little for the game that put them on the video game map.

I agree. If only Nintendo has made a sequel to this game in 1993, made it the premier game for the Super Gameboy, and turbo charged the game with all new play mechanics and 100 levels. Too bad they never did that. Maybe I'll just wish for a sequel on the GBA instead.

Heh, some of those levels remind me of the those Crazy Kong (and other named) bootleg boards that used to be around during DK's heyday. I played a pretty neat one regularly at a Shakey's Pizza Parlor all the time as a kid.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Donkey Kong 94 was awesome. I wish Mario Vs Donkey Kong on GBA was more like it. I didnt like the focus on the puzzle elements

Xenon

Cow Mengde said:
I agree. If only Nintendo has made a sequel to this game in 1993, made it the premier game for the Super Gameboy, and turbo charged the game with all new play mechanics and 100 levels. Too bad they never did that. Maybe I'll just wish for a sequel on the GBA instead.

What have they done for DK lately... I would have taken this over the NES version of DK they released on VC which I had to fight myself to not purchase.

How could they anounced a new arcade service and make no mention of their own arcade classics? Its just plain weird.

stuminus3

Banned
Xenon said:
What have they done for DK lately...
DK Jungle Climber on DS.

It's freaking awesome. One of the most enjoyable 2D Nintendo platformers I've played since... probably DKC2, actually. I figure it's so under-appreciated because it's not DKC (although IMO just as good or even better in it's own way), and because King of Swing was total balls.

Mario vs Donkey Kong 2 is really good, too... but it's not really a DK game at all, it's not even a platformer.

CB3 said:
Donkey Kong 94 was awesome. I wish Mario Vs Donkey Kong on GBA was more like it. I didnt like the focus on the puzzle elements

DK 94 was a puzzle game. It also nerfed the controls of Donkey Kong by making them far too forgiving and very slidey. After the first 4 levels of the game it becomes near a completely different game and abandons its platforming roots.

bumpkin

El_TigroX said:
I desperately want to get back to FunSpot... it's been years... and I get to go back in July!!!!

I'll seek this out when I'm there. Looks great actually.
I grew up in the area so I wasted many a weekend at FunSpot. :D

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I just got back from FunSpot and I really wanted to play this game... but the freaking jump button was broken! The game was essentially unplayable. It really looked great, had an official looking cabinet, but every time I tried to jump past the first fire pit I would die.

Super bummer!

Xenon said:
Funspot Arcade in New Hampshire.
Woot New Hampshire! As a resident, I'm surprised I only made it to Funspot for the first time last summer at age 17. Of course I had won a gift card to it (well actually someone else did, but they gave it to me because they didn't want it), so I finally had a good excuse to go. My family enjoyed it, too.

Sanjuro

El_TigroX said:
I just got back from FunSpot and I really wanted to play this game... but the freaking jump button was broken! The game was essentially unplayable. It really looked great, had an official looking cabinet, but every time I tried to jump past the first fire pit I would die.

Super bummer!
They have been getting much more volume of people going in and out of the place. They have a decent maintenance staff on hand to repair the machines...there is only so much wear they can take. Most of the cabinets are 20+ years old. I need to make another trip up there soon.

Top Bottom