• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't call it an acquisition: Kinda Funny joins Rooster Teeth's "Let's Play family"

Responses from Colin: #238 | #243 | #254

SERIOUSLY, IT ISN'T AN ACQUISITION.

Greg Miller said:
Kinda Funny forum user said:
Hey, Greg. I like the fact that kinda funny is independent and I know you've said that Rooster Teeth is not buying you guys, but is it heading that way? Will you guys eventually be like screw attack and funhaus? Will you eventually be part if the rt umbrella? I hope not.
Is that weird to say? I love you guys and will always support kinda funny, but want you guys to be your own thing. Thanks for reading my concerns. Can't wait to meet you and every one else at KFL2.
I don't think it's weird to say -- I want you to feel like you can be open here.

The future is always hard to predict. Are we heading that way? I honestly have no idea. We feel like this partnership is the best of both worlds -- we get their support, tools, and advice but we maintain our independence.

For us, it's always going to be "What's best for Kinda Funny?" This is what's best for us right now. <3

Patreon figures (27/03 | current)

Kinda Funny: $37,194.50 / month | $36,797 / month
Kinda Funny Games: $22,844.50 / month | $22,764 / month

KF_Kinda_Funhaus_800_Art.jpg

http://www.kindafunnyforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7177

Greg Miller said:
Hey, Best Friends--

Today&#8217;s a big day. It&#8217;s one of those days we&#8217;ll all look back at in in five years and be like &#8220;That was one of those turning points for Kinda Funny.&#8221; It&#8217;s on the level of January 5th, the Animated Series, and the first time I hugged Xyger.

We&#8217;re teaming up with Rooster Teeth for Let&#8217;s Play, a creative community of likeminded gamers. It means that we&#8217;ll be in more of their videos, they&#8217;ll be in more of ours, and our content is going to pop up on the Let&#8217;s Play YouTube channel.

Let&#8217;s be clear from the jump: Rooster Teeth is not buying us. We&#8217;re still independent. What&#8217;s happening here is that Rooster Teeth and Kinda Funny are taking the relationship to the next level. We&#8217;ve always been close, but now we&#8217;ll be even closer. Except for me and Gavin; he still has a restraining order.

So what does this mean for you outside of content crossover with Rooster Teeth, Achievement Hunter, Funhaus, and Screw Attack? Well, a lot. First and foremost, we&#8217;re moving the Kinda Funny store to the Rooster Teeth store. (Same kindafunny.com/store address!) Why? Because we&#8217;ve been listening to you. Rooster Teeth has merch on lock. This partnership means you&#8217;ll get your merch faster (no more waiting a month for a shirt -- at least once we have stock, today&#8217;s orders might still take a sec), and there will be a much wider array of stuff on the store. The much-demanded sweatshirts are on their way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM-Rzzr8PTk

On top of that, let&#8217;s talk about Kinda Funny Live 2. (Tickets on sale now!) We told you it was going to be two days, but we never explained what that meant. Night 1 -- Saturday, May 28 -- is going to be the Kinda Funny Live you&#8217;re expecting but 20 times bigger. It&#8217;ll be all about entertaining the Kinda Funny community, it&#8217;ll have goofy bits, and it&#8217;ll have amazing announcements. We&#8217;re excited to announce today that Rooster Teeth Co-Founder Burnie Burns will be emceeing the event.

That&#8217;s huge.

Now, Sunday, May 29th is going to be something different all together. If Night 1 is about entertaining you, Day 2 is all about hugging you. Sunday is Meet & Greet day. It&#8217;s your chance to get photos with us, get posters signed, and hear some awesome podcasts. Geoff and Michael from Achievement Hunter, Adam and Bruce from Funhaus, and Gus from Rooster Teeth are going to join all of us for a super-Sunday. While one group meets and greets, another will record shows for you live. We&#8217;ll hang, drink, and party like there&#8217;s no work on Monday. (Head&#8217;s up, there&#8217;s no work on Monday.)

Beyond that -- BEYOND! -- this partnership means that we&#8217;ll have a shared Booth Space at most of the big cons. This&#8217;ll make meet and greets easier and give you a place to pick up merch at PAXes and what have yous.

I know there&#8217;s a lot to take in, and I&#8217;m sure you&#8217;ll have a lot of questions. I&#8217;ll be doing my best to respond to everyone on the various social medias, but the Kinda Funny Forum will be the easiest place to get your questions answered and celebrate with the other best friends.

Kinda Funny is the never ending journey, and I&#8217;m so thrilled that you&#8217;re along for the ride. Partnering with Rooster Teeth means that some of that pressure I&#8217;m always talking about is off of the five of us so that we can focus more on the content you love us for -- and that&#8217;s when things get exciting.

Greg

https://roosterteeth.com/post/51259229

Barbara Dunkelman said:
Recently, you might have seen the Let's Play channel (youtube.com/letsplay) going through a few changes. We're happy to announce another exciting change: Kinda Funny, a group of guys we admire and love to work with, have officially joined the Let's Play family!

This means in addition to the Rooster Teeth, Achievement Hunter, Funhaus, and ScrewAttack videos you see already on the Let's Play channel, you'll also be seeing contributions from the Kinda Funny crew, too.

And that's not all!

We've teamed up with them to bring you Let's Play Presents: Kinda Funny LIVE!
This is the second KFL that they've done, and we're happy to partner up to bring our guys over to San Francisco for this 2-day event. Tickets for that are NOW ON SALE! Come see us (and I guess Kinda Funny, too) May 28-29, 2016!

And before you go, make sure to check out Kinda Funny. They're more than kinda funny, IMO.

Thoughts?

Delete if kinda old.

ST2K

They're doing their Colin & Greg Live stream, presumably they'll be addressing it.

As for my thoughts, I'm paranoid and thinking this will lead to bad things, but I'm trying to force myself to be cautiously optimistic.

Audioboxer

Well as long as they aren't bought over. The patreon funds must be enough to keep them going, along with ad announcements on stream.

Nearly every gaming media outlet that gets bought over goes down the shitter and inevitably gets canned.

I see this as good news, Rooster Teeth is a great bunch of guys and girls. The got a lot of brownie points from me for giving jobs to the Inside Gaming guys (now Funhaus).

sora87

Terrible news. Both RT and Funhaus are terribly annoying and I'd hate them to have any influence on KindaFunny. :/

Not sure how I feel about this. I liked the 'small time' nature of all their stuff. They may be getting a bit too big for their britches.

I know nothing about Rooster Teeth, Funhaus, or Screw Attack (other than AVGN used to be partnered with them). Why is this bad?

I don't watch Let's Plays, only The Game Over Greggy Show, the Gamescast, and PS I Love You.

Disappointed to hear this. RoosterTeeth is easily one of the biggest group of hack sellouts in "nerd" media. But as a young upstart company I guess it makes sense for KF to go with the numbers.

Feorax

Hmmmm I like C&G but don't like Rooster Teeth, where does this leave me?

Not watching the collaboration stuff they do? It's not like anything else is going to change a whole lot (other than their store location).

I get GAF doesn't like RT, and each to their own, but the hyperbole and shit posting every time there is an RT thread is obscene, and I can't see this thread being any different (this is not directed at you Memory btw).

Not watching the collaboration stuff they do? It's not like anything else is going to change a whole lot (other than their store location).

I get GAF doesn't like RT, and each to their own, but the hyperbole and shit posting every time there is an RT thread is obscene, and I can't see this thread being any different (this is not directed at you Memory btw).

Is there a reason for such an immediate negative response or is it just "Gaf being Gaf."

shield

Really apprehensive about this news... but truthfully, I've slowly been falling out of love with Kinda Funny for the past couple months now anyway. I guess Easy Allies launched at the perfect time for me

I wish everyone the best, nonetheless

NateDrake

I don't follow Rooster Teeth to know what they do that is hated. Though I vaguely remember they attacked outlets that scored Fallout 4 less than perfect while sitting on a set covered in Fallout 4 themed merchandise.

Rembrandt

Banned
I see this as good news, Rooster Teeth is a great bunch of guys and girls. The got a lot of brownie points from me for giving jobs to the Inside Gaming guys (now Funhaus).

Funhaus is amazing.

Why? They seem to be doing well on Patreon. Rooster Teeth is trash.

Probably because RT is a fucking huge company with multiple successful youtube channels, their own expo, their own movie, a hugely successful anime show that's also about to be shown in theaters, have that same show on Netflix, have RvB on TV, have a successful game show, two successful podcasts, have had several members on TV, have had tv stars on their shows, have a dude that was part of a YouTube billboard because of how successful his and Dan's channel is.

I don't follow Rooster Teeth to know what they do that is hated. Though I vaguely remember they attacked outlets that scored Fallout 4 less than perfect while sitting on a set covered in Fallout 4 themed merchandise.

They're not journalists nor do they pretend to be.

Rooster Teeth is way bigger than games.

Kalentan

Honestly I haven't even seen a good reason to dislike RT.

To me, they still make RvB which is better than ever. So they're still cool with me.

Finaj

I think Rooster Teeth is pretty funny and they have great original content (RWBY). I am worried about the rate that they're expanding, but hopefully Kinda Funny will operate the same.

I know nothing about Rooster Teeth, Funhaus, or Screw Attack (other than AVGN used to be partnered with them). Why is this bad?

I don't watch Let's Plays, only The Game Over Greggy Show, the Gamescast, and PS I Love You.

I was a fan of RT way back when, and as they started to get bigger and bigger, what was a group of funny people doing generally pretty entertaining stuff, devolved into the same by the numbers formula used by a lot of other YT channels. For me at least, a lot of the personality they had just evaporated. Also they became sell outs apparently? If I'm recalling the whole Fallout 4/Giant Bomb criticizing thing correctly. I had stopped following them long before that though so I don't know.

Greg did an AMA on their forums, and it clears a lot of questions up. Seems like this will be mutually beneficial for both parties. KF stays independent, their content is still their content. This will allow RT to help with some backend/business stuff (shirt store, events planning, etc) that will help them to focus more on content.

Sounds like a good deal for both. I'm a big fan of Kinda Funny, but am quite indifferent toward the majority of Rooster Teeth's content, so KF staying independent while having more growth potential sounds like a good deal.

Link to Greg's AMA on the KF Forums:
http://www.kindafunnyforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7177&p=120896#p120896

GRaider81

It's weird I loved the guys when doing beyond on IGN (even though I hate IGN), but since going Indy I find them quite obnoxious.

Maybe they will transform again......

Top Bottom