• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't call it an acquisition: Kinda Funny joins Rooster Teeth's "Let's Play family"

Feorax

This is an excellent summary of what is actually happening now. It seems relatively harmless and almost 100% behind the scenes stuff.

The paranoia about what might happen in the future is 100% fair game though.

I'm not sure. I think if there's a precedent for one of these collaborations leading directly to ownership then paranoia is absolutely fair game, but as far as I know, no such precedent has been set?

D i Z

Was this during the time where Colin's girlfriend dumped him or something? I can't remember exactly when and for how long he was depressed but people kept saying he was in a bad space. I'm not excusing his action, I am just trying to understand his motivation/reasoning/mentality. But I might be wrong or making up something since I here him keep on referencing someone named Erin (sounds like a girlfriend) so his down attitude might have been for another reason--assuming he wouldn't just be all depressed about a breakup and avoid moving on to only just wait for that person to return.

It was happening before that, and continues. Call it stress, call it growing into their space. Whatever it is, It's all the same look. It became easier to be that aggressively dismissive of criticism once they got used to the business showing some stability. It's not even worth approaching them with that kind of concern, nor is it really necessary. It's how they want to be and people should stop being children about it, honestly.
Sidenote: That a lot of their supporters are actually children or childlike gets dismissed all too readily in these discussions. They know their audience, and know what they can expect from them.

CazTGG

Can't say i'm entirely pleased to hear this, especially after what RT did with Screwattack. Then again, I tend to avoid RT like the plague so this might just be my natural reaction to hearing this news.

Man this shit is getting disturbingly personal.

Im out

Lol you're overreacting. There's actually quite the level-headed discussion going on and people barely insulting them. It's more posts explaining Colin's nature in how he reacts to certain things –– he's far from perfunctory that's for sure.

Not going to lie, but this was my first reaction:
no_sir.gif

But, I'll remain open-minded. For now.

I just can't get this "circling the drain" feeling out of my stomach at the moment.

Lol you're overreacting. There's actually quite the level-headed discussion going on and people barely insulting them. It's more posts explaining Colin's nature in how he reacts to certain things –– he's far from perfunctory that's for sure.

But still, I feel like every KF thread ends with a post about Colin's girlfriend or ex or whatnot.
Who cares, we don't know those guys, let alone knowing someones nature.

Feorax

that was a really dumb moment, but still only 1 or 2 people out of what is a pretty big company these days. i'd hope there was more to it than that.

Not really.

There's that, a little bit of the Silent Hills rumour they got from their source (which was obviously BS) and people just not liking their content.

You can't expect everybody to like everything, but I can't help feeling a lot of the stuff that gets posted in RT threads wouldn't be acceptable in other threads.

This is a gross over-simplification considering we haven't seen exactly how this partnership will manifest itself.

These same reactions were had last spring when they announced they were doing E3 with GameSpot. I think most people saw that as a positive for Kinda Funny in hindsight. It'll just take a bit longer to see how this partnership works out since it's a more indefinite thing with less obvious up-front benefits.

Past

Because they like the people at RT and there are mutual benefits? It's not like collab content is the only thing they're ever going to produce from now on.

Well whatever happens, I really hope RT doesn't become regular guests on their shows (specifically GoG and Gamecast).

But still, I feel like every KF thread ends with a post about Colin's girlfriend or ex or whatnot.

They've cultivated a tight-knit community. It's no surprise that personal life discussion will filter through –– especially when one's personal life affects their demeanour and contribution to the overall content. I think –– fundamentally –– people care and that's why they're interested. I hope that people don't discuss it in a pernicious way.

P.S Hala Madrid and although I'm nervous, I'm hoping Zidane's El Clasico debut results in a win!!

Rembrandt

Banned
Not really.

There's that, a little bit of the Silent Hills rumour they got from their source (which was obviously BS) and people just not liking their content.

You can't expect everybody to like everything, but I can't help feeling a lot of the stuff that gets posted in RT threads wouldn't be acceptable in other threads.

They were also really right about Dark Souls 3.

ST2K

They've cultivated a tight-knit community. It's no surprise that personal life discussion will filter through –– especially when one's personal life affects their demeanour and contribution to the overall content. I think –– fundamentally –– people care and that's why they're interested. I hope that people don't discuss it in a pernicious way.

I would also point out some of these subjects have been official topics on their podcasts, with official discussion threads on their forum and so on.

Obviously there's a line that can be crossed, but I don't think anyone in the thread has crossed it.

D i Z

Nah. When people are trying to understand why someone is acting like an ass at an increasing rate it's reasonable to look for context and justification. It's not like they aren't telling us these things themselves.

If there is anything of value for the KF gang in this reaction thread (and others), is that there is a very strong desire to have the least amount of RT involvement in content as possible. Preferably zero. Seeing as that's not gonna happen, it's still worth keeping it in mind for the weekly stuff I guess.

Chuck

Still without luck
Holy shit, I didn't know they had two separate Patreons. They can't get by on sixty thousand dollars a month?

RE_Player

Kinda Funny is a grand experiment and I have supported it since the beginning. That being said I knew this was going to happen in terms of needing to partner with a bigger entity to do bigger things or be more secure.

I just wonder when the whole thing will cease to exist as this structure may not be able to last a decade+.

cftrooper

Why are people acting like they bought them? They specifically said that isn't the case and they'll remain independent. Nothing will change except for the fact that they'll show up in their lets plays. Nothing more

bickieditches

Neo Member
Kinda Funny isn't partnering with The Know. They're partnering with Let's play, who's boss openly mocked the people involved in the shilling that went on on The Know's podcast.

Incidentally, do you know where Geoff did this? Would love to hear what he said.

Xeteh

I've been enjoying RT less ever since Ray left... =(

I really enjoyed watching AH stuff a couple years ago, the Minecraft/GTAIV stuff was fun as hell. A couple months before Ray left it felt like they stopped having fun and were just trying too hard to be funny. Then they started bringing in other people to do the minecraft builds (some of the funniest/dumbest videos were the Geoff/Gavin drunk builds). It felt like their videos lost their original personality.

What do I know, though? They're obviously making some crazy amounts of money because they keep expanding. Its just not for me anymore.

Feorax

Incidentally, do you know where Geoff did this? Would love to hear what he said.

I'm not 100%, but I think It might have been on one of the early sponsor-only Off Topic podcasts when they were trialling it?

lol, yeah right.

RT are already giving them storefront access and publicity for free, what makes you think they're going to hand over money too? What would be the point?

Chuck

Still without luck
RT are already giving them storefront access and publicity for free, what makes you think they're going to hand over money too? What would be the point?

What's the point of doing this if it doesn't lead to more money? I'd love to know.

Also RT becoming a juggernaut has resulted in them going through the same decisions they've criticised other companies in general of making in the past. Bernie once said he hated how a lot of online celebs had to relocate to LA to progress their careers. A few months later they open an office in LA. Another time Bernie said he hated seeing so many online groups getting bought out by bigger establishments. A few months later they get acquired by Fullscreen.

Totally. It's the reason I've stopped really watching their content. The whole shift in attitude was just really jarring, and I haven't been able to get over it. I mean congrats to everyone there for the stability. I get it from a business angle, just as a former fan, it was a huge turn off.

It's what makes Mega64 so easy for me to adore. Instead of hosting a convention where people get the OPPORTUNITY to wait in line to get an autograph; they gather all of their fans, have a panel, and then all go to Disney Land to hang out. Same with Giant Bomb. They just feel like they're in it to keep doing what they're doing, and meet people who like their work. Even in their growth.

Past

I really enjoyed watching AH stuff a couple years ago, the Minecraft/GTAIV stuff was fun as hell. A couple months before Ray left it felt like they stopped having fun and were just trying too hard to be funny. Then they started bringing in other people to do the minecraft builds (some of the funniest/dumbest videos were the Geoff/Gavin drunk builds). It felt like their videos lost their original personality.

What do I know, though? They're obviously making some crazy amounts of money because they keep expanding. Its just not for me anymore.

I'm in the same boat as you. It FELT like some games were being played out of obligation than them necessarily really liking and wanting to play them. I still enjoy the odd video but have been watching them less and less sadly.

Why are people acting like they bought them? They specifically said that isn't the case and they'll remain independent. Nothing will change except for the fact that they'll show up in their lets plays. Nothing more

Actually, this is what is bothering me the most. The thought of having reoccurring guests from FunHaus on KF shows is making me feel ill. But... at least my favorite show, PS I Love You XOXO, is JUST Colin and Greg and that should remain untouched.

ST2K

What's the point of doing this if it doesn't lead to more money? I'd love to know.

RT gets a cut of money from the storefront and gets KF to show up on their content.

KF gets to deal with one partner for ad reads, storefronts, and event coordination, leaving them open to do other stuff with their time.

blitzkrieg184

Neo Member
Just don't watch the crossover stuff. RT went and bought inside gaming (funhaus) and I've watched them for years. Literally no difference in the way they've done their videos then and now. Non-issue imo.

Rembrandt

Banned

I'm in the same boat as you. It FELT like some games were being played out of obligation than them necessarily really liking and wanting to play them. I still enjoy the odd video but have been watching them less and less sadly.

watch funhaus. so much better.

notaxation

Neo Member
They had a good run.

You ain't seen nothing yet.

My immediate reaction is "No." Why is is this my reaction?

Probably because perceived change is hard. It's up to us to show you why this is positive. I get the reluctance from some, but I'm also pleasantly heartened by the overwhelming -- and I mean overwhelming -- positivity this news has garnered from our core audience.

I wish them the best of luck.

Thank you.

As if they weren't busy enough.

Believe it or not, we hope this makes us less busy with little things so we can be more busy with content creation and the spearheading of new programming. With more time, and hopefully some more revenue, we can grow. We can get studio space. We can hire. We're not doing this just to do it, you know? We want it to benefit our audience. We absolutely think it will.

I wonder what this means for all the stuff they do with Gamespot?

We remain fully independent, so we can continue to collaborate with whoever we want, even if that person, outlet, channel, or whatever is outside the RT family.

Not sure how I feel about this. I liked the 'small time' nature of all their stuff. They may be getting a bit too big for their britches.

Trust me: the shows we do now aren't going to change. We like keeping things lo-fi where and when it makes sense. =)

Probably why Rooster Teeth bought them out, could probably use fresh blood to repolish their tarnished image.

Rooster Teeth didn't buy us. We retain full equity of the company, ownership of our IP, and all of the rest.

Kthulhu

I'm honestly surprised at some of the things some of the people here hate Rooster Teeth for.

The dislike of their humor and content makes sense to me, although the outrage seems a little overblown, as at this state it is unclear how this will affect Kinda funny in the long run. I can also understand the appeal of liking a media group that has a more intimate relationship with it's fans, and how that some people might feel threatened that it will go away with this new deal. However, I think that until you have evidence to suggest that the content will decrease in quality that it is important to be optimistic. The exposure from Rooster Teeth will most likely result in more viewers and patrons, potentially resulting in better content overall.

I think the people who are saying they "hate RT" or "avoid RT like the plague" are overreacting, especially over those who hate them for the Fallout 4 or Silent Hills incidents. Those were done by their video game podcast hosts from The Patch, and by the hosts of their video game news show, The Know. While these statement are cause for anger, swearing off the whole company as a result, especially when it was caused by a handful of people who aren't involved with Let's Play and therefore will have no impact on the content you currently enjoy, is ludacris.

Exposure

Let's Play has over 3.5 Million subscribers compared to Kinda Funny Games' 165k subscribers.

If the partnership lasts one year and then Kinda Funny decides to go back and expand on their own, they will have been exposed to a MUCH larger audience for that year and their base will, presumably, have grown.

Yes, that leads to money down the road...but it doesn't mean that RT is cutting a check to KF today for this.

notaxation

Neo Member
After tax submission, Colin was complaining really hardcore about their margins, so they must have not made much profit.

I wasn't complaining about our margins. I was complaining about taxation. Because it's theft.

Fuck taxes.

=)

Because a lot of people like KindaFunny how it is and want none of that RT or Funhaus influence on their content.

Good news: we're still independent. They have no say over our content. We will collaborate with them for their own channels when it makes sense. Kinda Funny remains Kinda Funny.

Will be interesting to see how their Patreon community reacts now that they have acquired official funding through this acquisition.

We have no "official funding," nor was there an "acquisition."

I just got done pulling my money. Sounds like they don't need my help any more. All the best to them.

Sorry to see you go. That said, the lion's share of our funding will continue to come through Patreon. Nothing's changed in that regard.

Because rent is so high and stuff in San Francisco area, why do they not move their operation where it's cheaper to reside in California? I understand they have family and shit –– but if they wanna retain their independence, I don't think it would be feasible for them to subsist without being bought outright by Rooster Teeth. Eventually their cost will only increase and this will especially be the case when they move to their new working space, whenever that happens.

We have no plans to leave San Francisco. Tim is from here. His family is here. Nick has lived here for over a decade. His wife lives here. She owns a business here. Greg and I have both lived here for nine years.

We may explore areas in the Peninsula and Valley at some point, but we will remain in the Bay Area, as far as I can tell.

Rival

Gold Member
I really only consistently follow Colin and gregs playstation podcast. Sometimes I watch some of the YouTube shows on kinda funny games and they do a great job. Hopefully this is good news for them and everyone who supports them.

Kinda Funny started when they were with IGN and not allowed to talk about games. KFG started when they left IGN, and they figured there would be plenty of people who would not want to hear them talk about fucking Disney princesses and goats, so they should get their own Patreon that's just game content.

That was the reasoning stated, anyway.

Thanks. I didn't realize KF started when they were with IGN. I thought that whole brand was new afterwards.

Arkeband

Banned
If people feel this way, they should for real check out their patreon heh.

Considering the quality of their 'funny factory' videos to even their off-the-cuff personal channel videos, I don't know if they're putting forth a good enough argument to continue/drive that patreon money, but we'll see.

I think there's something to be said about the creative process when you create content in order to gain followers and revenue, as opposed to being supplied with revenue up front and then having to deliver on that pricetag. It seems to me that when you have something to prove you provide better content than when it's an obligation.

Considering the quality of their 'funny factory' videos to even their off-the-cuff personal channel videos, I don't know if they're putting forth a good enough argument to continue/drive that patreon money, but we'll see.

I think there's something to be said about the creative process when you create content in order to gain followers and revenue, as opposed to being supplied with revenue up front and then having to deliver on that pricetag. It seems to me that when you have something to prove you provide better content than when it's an obligation.

Mega64 needed to do VERSION 4 like two years ago when they were in a big growth period in terms of exposure in the industry and for fans and they just... haven't. Making that a stretch goal on Patreon seems like they overestimate how big their passionate fanbase actually is.

They've mentioned they've been working on stuff in secret but that seems to constantly be the case and it usually just winds up being another branded content video which, while usually pretty good (like the Dragonball stuff for Funimation), isn't what made them popular.

Top Bottom