• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't expect Dying Light reviews till release date or later

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Again, there is endless footage of the game on Youtube.
Literally the first hours of the campaign are on Youtube being played by countless Youtubers who got early preview copies.

Unless the release version suddenly turns everything you can see there into shit,I don't see how a review is in any way meaningful to this game.
Then why is it being withheld?

*Splinter

3 bad reasons to boycott this game :

- release day embargo
- mp lock behind pre order
- disgusting pre order incentive, locking away content if you pre order later

2 good reasons not to buy this game :

- it doesn't interest you personally
- it costs more than you are willing/able to spend

Boycott over the optional stuff? Please

*Splinter

Then why is it being withheld?
They probably want to set the precedent. If you only withhold the bad games then it's really obvious that a withheld game will be bad

Edit: No idea if Dying Light is good or not. Literally 0 interest in this game, just commenting on the situation

Kssio_Aug

3 reasons to boycott this game :

- release day embargo
- mp lock behind pre order
- disgusting pre order incentive, locking away content if you pre order later

This and the fact the game suffers from HEAVY clipping and pop in very close up to the player in every recent gameplay video... This isn't looking too good at all

Thats why I will only get this game, if the impressions are good, after a nice disccount at Steam sales!

Kosowsky

Neo Member
So Dying Light box release outside Americas is scheduled for February 27th. Be the Zombie mode as a gift.

Here is some PR release:
In Europe, Middle East, Asia, and Australia, Dying Light will have a digital release on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One of January 28, 2015. Physical copies of the game will be released in these territories on February 27, 2015. Additionally all of the physical preordered versions will include two DLC packs, Cuisine & Cargo and Ultimate Survivor Bundle, free of charge.

The “Be the Zombie” multiplayer mode, where players take control of the Night Hunter and can invade others’ games, will be now be available for free on all platforms everywhere

Source: Polygamia

So Dying Light box release outside Americas is scheduled on February 27th. Be the Zombie mode as a gift.

Here is some PR release:
In Europe, Middle East, Asia, and Australia, Dying Light will have a digital release on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One of January 28, 2015. Physical copies of the game will be released in these territories on February 27, 2015. Additionally all of the physical preordered versions will include two DLC packs, Cuisine & Cargo and Ultimate Survivor Bundle, free of charge.

The “Be the Zombie” multiplayer mode, where players take control of the Night Hunter and can invade others’ games, will be now be available for free on all platforms everywhere

Noice!

SomTervo

Literally the first hours of the campaign are on Youtube being played by countless Youtubers who got early preview copies.

Unless the release version suddenly turns everything you can see there into shit,I don't see how a review is in any way meaningful to this game.

What if you don't want to spoil the first hours of the game, but still want to know how good it is before you take the plunge?

Kssio_Aug

So Dying Light box release outside Americas is scheduled for February 27th. Be the Zombie mode as a gift.

Here is some PR release:

Allright, now we're talking!

Meia

See, and here I was going to come in and be all snarky saying "No reviews before the game is out, and locking a mode in the game to only those that pre-order is a combination that speaks highly poorly about how the game is going to be," then they remove the latter part of that out of the equation.

Now I'm interested....

When a game has no review copies sent out prior to release, or a release-day review embargo, it is mediocre at best!

I can't think of one exception to that rule, and more often than not, if a game launches under one of the above conditions, it's a steaming pile o' poo.

The alarm bells should be sounding for you at this point.

geordiemp

Here is some PR release:

LOL, now they don't want people to buy it digitally ?

Whats wrong with people, just sell the same DAMN game to everyone, is it so f...g hard for devs to get ?

SomTervo

When a game has no review copies sent out prior to release, or a release-day review embargo, it is mediocre at best!

I can't think of one exception to that rule, and more often than not, if a game launches under one of the above conditions, it's a steaming pile o' poo.

The alarm bells should be sounding for you at this point.

I disagree with this, and can't think of any examples where this is the case. AC Unity had this situation right? So far, it's one of my favourite games of this gen and last gen.

Klyka

Banned
LOL, now they don't want people to buy it digitally ?

Whats wrong with people, just sell the same DAMN game to everyone, is it so f...g hard for devs to get ?

The game's physical copy was delayed because the publisher fucked up.
Techland themselves were super angry about this as were a shit ton of gamers.
So now it's delayed a month and they are giving the people who have to wait extra stuff as a "sorry, this is dumb" gift.

The point of 2015 was to learn from 2014 of all the blunders like Ubisoft, Halo MCC, etc. That 1 month later physical is some of the same problems continuing. Like you're meant to have the game on discs and boxes ready for manufacture a few months before release, right?

Sojgat

Here is some PR release:

So, the physical release really is delayed?

LOL, what a joke.

Well I guess you can review badly and sell 10,000 copies or hide your review and hope the sample sizes shown on YouTube sells you more than 10k. If I made a shitty game I would hide reviews too.

its not like I need reviews but I want to know what are the mission types, Does the game work, are there any difficulty spikes, does the game work, is there enough content in the game and lastly DOES THE GAME WORK. after last year, no, after a few months ago, we should be more patient as a community. Are we?

I cannot fathom why anyone is interested in purchasing this game
a.aaa-No-fun-allowed..jpg

geordiemp

Where did they say they don't want people to buy digitally?

all of the physical preordered versions will include two DLC packs, Cuisine & Cargo and Ultimate Survivor Bundle, free of charge

Buy it digitally and loose out on 2 x DLC that's on the Disk, special digital incentive....to me that tells digital buyers to f..k off.

Riddle me this, how about just releasing 1 damn copy of the game to everyone and stop all the exclusive exclusivity rubbish.

How to piss off your customers, the seminar, speakers ubisoft, turtle rock and techland.

Xpliskin

Yeah will wait too I guess.

Even though I bought dead island at bread price I hated its guts.

This looks like dead island with parkour (restore power, do this, do that, melee, ...)

th4tguy

You realize those youtubers are paid to advertise these games? It's like stating, there are endless ads showing the game footage.

all of the physical preordered versions will include two DLC packs, Cuisine & Cargo and Ultimate Survivor Bundle, free of charge

Buy it digitally and loose out on 2 x DLC that's on the Disk, special digital incentive....to me that tells digital buyers to f..k off.

Riddle me this, how about just releasing 1 damn copy of the game to everyone and stop all the exclusive exclusivity rubbish.

How to piss off your customers, the seminar, speakers ubisoft, turtle rock and techland.

Speakers should be ubisoft, 2k and Wb Games. Just ftfy

OK I guess I can see why people are interested, but the game just gave me a very bad impression from the start and all this pre order and review crap just makes it worse.

It really felt like a c tier release that's getting pooped out in january to avoid competition and it will be $20 by august or so.

I'm also just sick of zombie and apocalypse games. Its a real turn off.

An update email went out today. Still no review codes going out. So looking like mostly a launch date or day before scenario. Hopefully people still interested in ithe title don't let the reviews coming later give them bad vibes. There is a ton of content out there online already for viewing but some folks def need those breakdowns before a purchase.

Techland made a big deal about how this game would have no embargoes for the sake of transparency, so they clearly didn't plan on all of this BS.

Everything I've seen of the game so far looks great, by my God if the business decisions surrounding it haven't been awful.

Top Bottom