• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't get too excited! HL3 stuff found in the SteamVR perf tool files. Probably old.

update: SteamDB put up a long blog post about their findings: https://steamdb.info/blog/mining-the-aperture-robot-repair-vr-demo/

Valve Time as well: http://www.valvetime.net/threads/ex...erformance-test-aperture-robot-repair.253841/

This includes a confirmation, that the Dog model, that leaked last year and most people thought it was bull, was actually legit (it doesn't necessarily connect to HL3 btw, as explained in the second link). Textures for a L4D3 survivor, the Secret Shop running in source 2 before Valve switched to Unity etc

The point below still stands btw. This won't lead to anything new.
---

Will probably lead to nothing as usual. vrgdc2015 implies some of these or maybe all are from last year. Probably just leftovers and such from earlier prototypes. Some of these also might have appeared in the hl3.txt Dota "leak" from last year, like the quest strings, but I didn't check. But this is starting get traction on the subreddit, so just better to cool this down now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HalfLife/comments/470g3g/hmm/

Found in Aperture Robot Repair's client.dll

EDIT: and there is a lot more where that came from.

EDIT2: such as:

c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\game\client\hl3\c_point_quest_goal.h

EDIT3: oh and there's also a ton of stuff that implies HL2: Source 2 is a thing but idk

There is 1671 matches of hl, 14 of hl3, 97 of hl2, 11 of HalfLife2, 0 of HalfLife3

c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\game\client\hl3\c_point_quest_goal

BaseHLBludgeonWeapon

HLSelectFireMachineGun

C_BaseHLPlayer::Schema_VerifyBindingIsRegistered

client\hl2\c_strider.cpp

\client\hl2\c_npc_manhack.cpp

And this is just a few, I found alot of weopons and npcs mostly HL2 what I could find. Now I am not a programer or anything, so I dont know what any of this means. I just found it in the code

EDIT Under the server.dll I found some more text

GameSystemReallocatingFactory@VCHL3VScriptGameSystem

HL3_SpyGrenadeHint¨

game\server\hl3\gravity_vortex_controller

\game\server\hl3\info_quest_dialog

game\server\hl3\procedural_spawn_target

game\server\hl3\npc_turret_ceiling_pulse

CLASS_PLAYER CLASS_ANTLION CLASS_APCDRIVER CLASS_BARNACLE CLASS_BLOB CLASS_BULLSEYE CLASS_CITIZEN_PASSIVE CLASS_CITIZEN_REBEL CLASS_COMBINE CLASS_COMBINE_GUNSHIP CLASS_COMBINE_HUNTER CLASS_CONSCRIPT CLASS_HEADCRAB CLASS_MANHACK

But more then anything I found HL2 refrences all over the code.

EDIT2:

In the file "readyonly_tools_asset_info.bin" under /steamVRPerformanceTest/vr.

core vr portal2_imported left4dead3 hl3

Al in one string.

https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1446236&p=49791413&viewfull=1#post49791413 (this seems like a summary of the previous)

c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\shared\hl3\hl3_vscriptgamesystem.cpp.......VScr iptServerHL3
c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\server\hl3\npc_quest_citizen.cpp...CNPC_QuestCi tizen::DisplayDialogString..m_DialogStringDisplayD ropShadow
c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\server\hl3\partial_entity_manager.cpp
c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\server\hl3\procedural_spawn_constraint.cpp
c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\server\hl3\utllogicconstraintsolver.h
c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\server\hl3\procedural_spawn_manager.cpp
c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\server\hl3\entity_persist.h
c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\server\hl3\procedural_spawn_target.cpp
c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\server\hl3\procedural_spawn_template.cpp
c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\server\hl3\procedural_spawn_volume.cpp
c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\server\hl3\procspawn_bias_line.cpp
c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\server\hl3\procspawn_modifier.cpp
c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\server\hl3\procspawn_variable.cpp
c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\shared\hl3\imposter_manager.cpp
c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\server\hl3\npc_turret_ceiling_pulse.cpp
particles/vortigaunt_fx/vortigaunt_charge_token.vpcf
c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\server\hl3\point_quest_goal.cpp
c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\server\hl3\prop_fixed.cpp
c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\server\hl3\gravity_vortex_controller.h
#HL3_SpyGrenadeHint1
#HL3_SpyGrenadeHint2
c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\shared\hl3\hl3_vscriptgamesystem.cpp

edit: SteamDB put up a long blog post about their findings: https://steamdb.info/blog/mining-the-aperture-robot-repair-vr-demo/

Valve Time as well: http://www.valvetime.net/threads/ex...erformance-test-aperture-robot-repair.253841/

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
These code fragments are like stardust from a supernova that happened a billion years ago.

It's dead.

Tregard

Soothsayer
I wonder when we will reach the point that nobody (or a significantly small number of people) cares about HL3 anymore? Is it a decade away? 20 years?

1386249086804.png

Nzyme32

I mentioned in the Steam thread but will mention again here, some are labelled GDC2015, which is probably indicative of these bit being from when they were working on the Aperture Robot Repair thing. Basically this stuff doesn't tell us too much of anything other than L4D3, HL3 have existed in some form and HL2 / Portal 2 imports have existed in some form. They only new interesting stuff is reference to certain possible mechanics etc.

Knowing Valve, these are probably just in for laughs.

Also likely

I wonder when we will reach the point that nobody (or a significantly small number of people) cares about HL3 anymore? Is it a decade away? 20 years?

End of this decade, if there's no blip till then, I think. Ep2 will be over 10 years old at that point. Also depends what Valve will release in that timeframe.

Tregard

Soothsayer
End of this decade, if there's no blip till then, I think. Ep2 will be over 10 years old at that point. Also depends what Valve will release in that timeframe.

My guess is a revision of the Steam Controller, some small SteamVR titles, and a f2p Left 4 Dead 3.

GeoGonzo

For what its worth, I'd like to thank OP for wording the thread title like this, because EVERY TIME I see HL3 mentioned in a thread's title my heart skips a beat, but it didn't this time. So, thumbs up.

Haunted

There's no doubt people at Valve have been working on something intended as a sequel to HL2 at some point in time.

Who knows how many and how far back that was by now, though.

With all the references to Half Life 3 and Left 4 Dead 3 in engine files it leads me to expect a second Orange Box with perhaps a new IP thrown in like they did with Portal. Then again HL3 is probably a new hat in TF2.

zma1013

Half Life 3 is Skynet. There is no game, no central core. It exists in cyberspace, as code on every computer. Judgement Day is upon us.

Maxim726X

At this point, who gives a shit about Half Life 3.

If/when it ever does come out, it's going to underwhelm anyway. Impossible to live up to the hype.

so a new Star Wars and Mad Max movie but still no Half Life 3 :(

Shenmue 3, The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy 7 Remake and the probable Mother 3 localisation but still no Half Life 3. Someone needs to tell Valve its the year of dreams.

If/when it ever does come out, it's going to underwhelm anyway. Impossible to live up to the hype.

I do, Half Life is one of my favourite franchises. I actually really dislike Valve as a company because they taunt their fans. Its cool that people enjoy Dota 2 and TF2 and that Valve support those guys, I feel they've shoved away their original audience and that sucks because all of their single player games are some of the best of all time.

ekim

Well probably no ARG, but some nice Easter eggs:

51b87bd8c8.jpg

I don't think there is one nut all those numbers and little Easter eggs will definitely spawn some investigation. Especially after the HL3 being found within those files and that you weren't supposed to run the demo. Seems a little bit too coincidental.

daveo42

Banned
The dream has been dead for a long time. It's time to let it rest.

Well probably no ARG, but some nice Easter eggs:

51b87bd8c8.jpg

This is dark RED

Nice Easter eggs for sure, but nothing but that. Not even an ARG unless fans are the ones tricking themselves into thinking there is one. Nothing to see here. Time to move on guys. HL3 won't be real until Valve either announces it or just plan releases it one day on Steam. I still don't see them doing either right now.

I'll let it go when Valve states the project is dead. I had a real problem with Capcom when they cancelled Mega Man Legends 3 but in time I got over it and moved on. Its nearly been a decade since Half Life 2 Episode 2 and Valve have treated their fans with no respect at all. I love their single player games and I still play them on a regular basis but I have no good things to say about Valve in their current state. They do a job catering to their competitive audience and have made a lot of money doing so but if all we're going to get from them are projects manufactured to succeed that they can sit on for 10 years then whats the point? If you like those games then thats cool, I'm not judging anyones tastes but I want Valve to fulfil their teases and deliver one final installment to one of the best sagas ever conceived. Until then they are a bad studio in my eyes.

FATALITY

Banned
I hope they never release this game. Because everything is dated about that franchise. Hell everything is dated about fps in general

Looks like last year's Dog model leak was legit after all. Some really good stuff in there. Leaked L4D3 character, Secret Shop running in Source 2 before they switched to Unity etc

Best thing I've seen regarding HL3 in a long time, haha. :)

I used to anxiously await every year in the hopes that HL3 would get announced, but about a year ago (maybe 2 at this point) I finally moved on.

If it gets announced, great! But until then I'll spend my time getting excited over games that are actually actively getting made and have release dates.

Nzyme32

Looks like last year's Dog model leak was legit after all. Some really good stuff in there. Leaked L4D3 character, Secret Shop running in Source 2 before they switched to Unity etc

Yeah, that surprised me about the Dog model. I just assumed it was a hoax since generally anything of that calibre tends to be. Interesting to see the other stuff they messed with.

joms5

This is very much possible. I would like to think it would at least be a great game, nothing revolutionary but ties up all the loose ends.

Having said all that, even if it is underwhelming just imagine the shitstorm that it would cause on GAF and other places. That in itself would bring entertainment for weeks.

Plus we could just put this entire "HL3 is it coming?" thing to bed. It's getting annoying.

JNT

Probably just the Valve guys fooling around with some ideas for a potential game. I would not get too excited just yet.

Top Bottom