• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't look now, but a videogame is currently auctioning for 31k USD and rising

Kade

Condition:Acceptable
TO WHOM? WHOM IS THIS ACCEPTABLE TO??

4L8j7sL.jpg

Panthers

This was only given out at some competition Nintendo had back in the day IIRC. Yahoo had a story on it. I would link if I was at home.

How much did the guys in the show Pawn Stars offer for one of these and the gold variant from Nintendo Power? Off the top of my head it seems like their "expert" valued it at far less...

Cody_D165

Banned
Holy shit, I didn't think a copy in such shit condition would get up this high. Especially the grey cart. Wonder if the bidder will actually pay out.

I mean, when Pat the NES Punk went on Pawn Stars he was only trying to get $35K for both the grey and gold copies. (of course show's fake as fuck but still.)

There's no way the "buyer" will pay out on this one. It will be relisted. My guess this is shill bidding to gather attention, only to have the real auction in a month or so.

No collector would pay that much for a worn/torn label of this game. As mentioned the gold copy is more rare and decent looking copies of this game I don't think usually go for more than 10-15k.

Damaniel

Banned
Holy shit, I didn't think a copy in such shit condition would get up this high. Especially the grey cart. Wonder if the bidder will actually pay out.

I mean, when Pat the NES Punk went on Pawn Stars he was only trying to get $35K for both the grey and gold copies. (of course show's fake as fuck but still.)

Seriously. That's heading beyond even gold cart pricing, and that's a pretty shitty copy to begin with (you can barely tell that it's a NWC to begin with!).

I got out of NES collecting at the right time. There's no way I could afford to round up the top tier rarities of the set these days.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Isn't that well beyond the more rare Stadium Events sale from a couple of years back?

Yeah something might be fishy here...

MrDaravon

The current price strikes me as odd, but there's a very limited finite number of these out there, and they seem to be going for more and more every time. The price skyrocketing could be more interest in these in general, especially since this kind of stuff seems to be getting more mainstream coverage lately.

KMS

Not gold cart, torn, and no box. My bet is on person who wins not paying up as that is way over priced.

NewGame

Banned
Nintendo_World_Cup.png

The Nintendo World Championships was a 1990 Nintendo-promoted video game competition that toured twenty-nine cities across the United States. It was based on scoring points in three Nintendo Entertainment System games (Super Mario Bros., Rad Racer, and Tetris) within a time limit of 6 minutes and 21 seconds. The competition was based loosely on the movie The Wizard.

Wow.

ido

This always happens with these rare games. Tons of fake bids. Seller will no doubt accept a backdoor offer from a legit collector, and is just using ebay as more advertising.

Tripon

That Pawn Star skit has been pretty much confirmed staged. Pat signed a NDA, so he can't explain all the details, but he pretty much admits he was cast to be in that segment.

Tusk

:p Wow, this is almost as crazy as the Jumanji board going for 60k on there right now.
Though, it is one of the actual boards used on the movie..

redhood56

Banned
I've heard about this from AVGN, and I remember it going for around $30k once. But were the carts before in good condition? I have no idea why the price would be so high for such poor condition( I know it's rare, but I am surprised to see it shoot up so high.)

EDIT: The comments above makes it look like the bids on carts before were fake. So I have no idea how much it actually went for.

Mr. RPG

This sounds so fake.

He barely goes though the "history" of this too on his eBay page.

Whoever is biding on this is either gullible or has more information than the public has on the authenticity of this.

Top Bottom