• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DONTNOD Entertainment Devs (life is strange) Want New Story For Third Game, Switch Ports For Series.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Following the release of Episode 5, we sat down with Life is Strange 2 co-creative director Michel Koch and writer Jean-Luc Cano to talk about its development, the leftover threads from the original game, and their hopes for Life is Strange 3.

Life is Strange 2 kicked off a brand new direction for the series with new characters, perspectives, and mechanics, while still offering up a few hints as to what happened to Max and Chloe from the original Life is Strange after all this time. Read GameSpot's reviews to see what we thought of each Life is Strange 2 episode below. Life is Strange 2 is out now on PS4, Xbox One, and PC.

GameSpot: So, with Life is Strange 2 finished, how are you guys feeling now that it's all out there and what's the reaction been from fans?
Michel Koch:
You know, it takes a long time to make a game and we've been working on this game for almost four years--considering the final episode and Captain Spirit. So finally having the whole story released and starting to see that both the players and the press are enjoying the whole experience, the whole journey--it's a big relief and a big enjoyment just to see that here we are, we've been able to share this whole story with the players.

Jean-Luc Cano: Yeah, and on the other end, there is also a little bit of sadness and nostalgia, because we're travelling, we went on this journey of four years with these characters. And now, letting them go and seeing that the journey is over--we feel a little bit of sadness, also.

It must have been very different writing for two brothers instead of what it was like writing for what Max and Chloe had in Life is Strange 1. Would you agree with that?

Cano:
Yes, you're right, but, our job is to create relatable characters, you know, and as for Max and Chloe because obviously we are not teenage girls, and we are also not teenage boys like Sean and Daniel. We did a lot of research to be as accurate as possible. But it was the same process to do research, to watch a lot of documentaries, to portray them as well as we can.

Koch: Yeah, and it's the same team from the original. It's the three of us--Jean-Luc, myself, and Raoul Barbet, the other director who created the whole story in the beginning, and we still worked with Christian Divine for writing the English dialogue, and with the narrative designers. So we had to adjust to this new story, new characters, but as Jean-Luc says, I think what is great when you're creating characters is to document yourself, to interview people, to try to put yourself in the shoes of those characters, to listen to stories from people you interview. I mean, that's what's really great when you're telling a story. You learn so much about the people you're writing for. I think it's great, and also humbling to try to convey those new characters in a way that's realistic in the writing and with their story and what's happening to them.

check the link for more.

xrnzaaas

I'm afraid to discover what they'll come up with. Anyway they should ditch the episodic model imo, it's not working anymore and LiS 2 lost a lot of the initial interest because of that. Just make one longer adventure game.

Ryu Kaiba

Some of you guys should give the episodic format a chance its not a bad fit for all games, especially Life is Strange.
Sometimes its nice to be able to just play a couple hours of something complete it. Have time to properly digest it and then move on to something else while you wait for the next episode.

Bootzilla

Banned
If its episodic and forced with political bullshit I'll skip not that it mattered anyway, seems like their talent has decreased a lot in story telling as well. LiS1 was all the good they could come up with. All their other games are average at best. If they wont improve they'll suffer the same fate as Telltale.
Imagine liking police brutality and racism so much that you can't enjoy a game that implies those things exist and are bad.

The political stuff in LiS2, to the extent it can even be called political, is so basic it's really hard to imagine it offending anyone except out of knee jerk defensiveness.

I liked LiS2 a lot in the end, but less than the first. That's less because of the writing, which I actually think improved, and more because the telekinesis is less compelling in a choice driven game than the time powers, and I missed the idea of common, recurring social areas anchoring the game. Whichever direction they go with the characters and story I hope they revisit those ideas.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Imagine liking police brutality and racism so much that you can't enjoy a game that implies those things exist and are bad.

The political stuff in LiS2, to the extent it can even be called political, is so basic it's really hard to imagine it offending anyone except out of knee jerk defensiveness.

I liked LiS2 a lot in the end, but less than the first. That's less because of the writing, which I actually think improved, and more because the telekinesis is less compelling in a choice driven game than the time powers, and I missed the idea of common, recurring social areas anchoring the game. Whichever direction they go with the characters and story I hope they revisit those ideas.

You're in the wrong forum if you think me disliking forced and pointless political bs is making me a racist. What kind of dumb ass mentality is that? You're literally tearing apart Trump's wall lmao. THere's nothing wrong with showing the bad side of human nature. We've seen that a million times. What is wrong is how it is portrayed in LIS2.

Bootzilla

Banned
You're in the wrong forum if you think me disliking forced and pointless political bs is making me a racist. What kind of dumb ass mentality is that? You're literally tearing apart Trump's wall lmao. THere's nothing wrong with showing the bad side of human nature. We've seen that a million times. What is wrong is how it is portrayed in LIS2.
The game takes place in 2016. The election is vaguely alluded to once or twice but they never even say Trump's name.

Showing Latino Americans facing bigotry isn't really "political." If you think it's hamfisted or not well written or whatever that's another conversation, but if you're taking THAT as an attack on your political ideology, I think you have think long and hard about how you define yourself.

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member

he’s in the wrong forum to give his opinion? Get out of here with that nonsense.

-Arcadia-

Banned
“Vague” “If you can even call it political”

xx1Y4vb.jpg

How about you guys start engaging honestly, and from the point of view that the politics/ideology are in the game, but you don’t mind them/like them?

This dance in every thread is getting real fucking old.

Bootzilla

Banned

xx1Y4vb.jpg

How about you guys start engaging honestly, and from the point of view that the politics/ideology are in the game, but you don’t mind them/like them?

So what what part of that makes you feel personally attacked? Is it being unfair?

Like yes, the game portrays racism as a thing that exists. But they never discuss it in terms of politics, they go out of their way not to mention party affiliation, candidate's names, or to stereotype any one group as the problem. It isn't trying to say white people are bad or Republicans are bad, it's just trying to say racists are bad.

And I guess that racists who hate Latinos are pretty big on a border wall? Is that the problem you have here?

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
The game takes place in 2016. The election is vaguely alluded to once or twice but they never even say Trump's name.

Thats why the wall is even far stupider.

Showing Latino Americans facing bigotry isn't really "political." If you think it's hamfisted or not well written or whatever that's another conversation, but if you're taking THAT as an attack on your political ideology, I think you have think long and hard about how you define yourself.

Yeah it really is. My political views have nothing to do with what I said. You just made me a racist.

he’s in the wrong forum to give his opinion? Get out of here with that nonsense.

Wrongfully naming someone a racist, yes, he's in the wrong forum.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

Episodic is fine. As long as you tell your audience that there's an X amount of episodes and they'll come out at regular intervals. Not some bs with FFVII where they don't know how many episodes or when the next one will come out. Or even HL2 ep3 never coming out etc.

dottme

I loved LiS and Before the Storm.
But I tried the demo for LiS2 and I didn’t like it at all. So I didn’t event tried LiS2.

I might try it on Switch if it’s really cheap. $10~$15 for the whole season.

Bootzilla

Banned
Thats why the wall is even far stupider.
Yeah maybe, I think they just needed something more formidable than a fence or they would have just smashed through it with the truck, you know?

Yeah it really is. My political views have nothing to do with what I said. You just made me a racist.
I didn't call you a racist, I just pointed out that portrayals of racism seem to make you feel defensive or uncomfortable. You're being protective of racism as an unfair or politically biased subject to portray in fiction. Why is that?

Wrongfully naming someone a racist, yes, he's in the wrong forum.
I'm just asking why you think the portrayals of racists as bad are an attack on your politics.

Last edited:

Bootzilla

Banned
Episodic is fine. As long as you tell your audience that there's an X amount of episodes and they'll come out at regular intervals. Not some bs with FFVII where they don't know how many episodes or when the next one will come out. Or even HL2 ep3 never coming out etc.
Yeah, but I also think there's a limit to how long you can make people wait and this one was pushing up against it with 4 month gaps between some episodes. I think episodic games of this sort need to be like every 6-8 weeks. The first game nailed that. This one was borderline. Something like Dreamfall Chapters was just over the line with 6 month waits.

Are we actually denying or downplaying that Life Is Strange 2 is a political statement? That's levels of bad faith not even worth engaging with.

Since it's apparently not obvious enough from the game itself, here are the devs spelling it out in no uncertain terms:

Life Is Strange 2 creators explain why they wont shy away from politics in games - The Verge.
The Verge said:
During a recent interview with The Verge, co-creator and co-game director Raoul Barbet and lead producer Luc Bagadhoust explained how their series took a turn from teen problems to a more politically charged stage.

It’s very hard now not to do something that’s not political, I feel,” Bagadhoust says, regardless of whether you’re making games or tweeting.“ People that express themselves are now more politicized than ever.

Life Is Strange writer on the importance of politics in games - Ladbible
Ladbible said:
"We instead looked to new challenges," Cano continues. "We wanted to get more political and face more real-life issues. And when we went to Square Enix, and said we were doing Life Is Strange 2 without Max and Chloe (the key characters of the first game), they were surprised. Some publishers could have said no to our ideas, but Square Enix trusted us. When we showed them the story of Sean and Daniel, they were wowed. It is very different to the first game, but they backed us."

Every character that expresses a conservative view is some shade of bigot or moron. With the possible exception of the grandparents but even then the grandmother is shown to be intolerant because of her "strong beliefs." To the point where she drove her daughter away due to her religious/traditional expectations. At least that's how the game attempts to portray it. Karen still comes off as a completely unlikable deatbeat but that's besides the point.

And it's not a matter of any of this existing in real life. You can find examples of literally any type of behavior in real life. The bar for biased and shitty political commentary isn't "contains something that has never happened." It's about a clear POV the devs are getting across by consistently portraying people with conservative views in a negative light. Cartoonishly so.

If someone made a game where every character who expressed a liberal opinion was an obnoxious woke-scold stereotype or a violent land-lord killing tankie it would be just as one sided, simplistic and dumb.

Last edited:

Bootzilla

Banned
Are we actually denying or downplaying that Life Is Strange 2 is a political statement? That's levels of bad faith not even worth engaging with.
It's at worst an incredibly "safe" lets-not-point-fingers statement about universally bad stuff that most people on both sides can agree is bad. Racism, police brutality... It's soft and innoffensive to almost everyone.

It's like when people got mad at Wolfenstein was too political because it was about shooting Nazis.
There are no "conservative viewpoints" in any of these screens. Unless you're defining the bigotry itself as conservative, in which case this becomes a very circular argument.

If you see a guy saying "Go back to your country, beaner" and you just assume he's Republican and that any character that doesn't say that isn't, well... You said it, not me.

Last edited:
There are no "conservative viewpoints" in any of these screens. Unless you're defining the bigotry itself as conservative, in which case this becomes a very circular argument.

If you see a guy saying "Go back to your country, beaner" and you just assume he's Republican and that any character that doesn't say that isn't, well... You said it, not me.

Lmao alright this is levels of bad faith that shouldn't even be possible. No conservative view points in the screens? One of them is literally referencing Donald Trumps border mantra. Another is legit holding a mock version of the gadston flag. Another in the same scene as the screens says "we took the country back" in reference to Donald Trump's election.

Seriously, I don't know how you even think you're being convincing with arguments this blatantly bad. It's either bad faith or you're in denial.

Mr Hyde

I would definitely douple dip on the first Life is Strange if it came to Switch. The sequel on the other hand just looks awful but maybe I would grab it during a sale. Or not.

Bkdk

Took them 4 years to develop such crappy game. Simply one of the worst story and writing I’ve ever experienced, square Enix will drop their contract pretty soon. However I wouldn’t reject a life is strange 3 with Jefferson as the protagonist, would be interesting. Totally fits The life is strange concept.

Last edited:

Bootzilla

Banned
Lmao alright this is levels of bad faith that shouldn't even be possible. No conservative view points in the screens? One of them is literally referencing Donald Trumps border mantra. Another is legit holding a mock version of the gadston flag. Another in the same scene as the screens says "we took the country back" in reference to Donald Trump's election.
But the ONLY views being espoused are "I don't like Latinos," not any broader sense of "conservatism." Nobody ever talks about their politcal views at all, nobody says "Trump." They don't use the Gadston flag, they use something that is maybe kind of broadly similar. All of that is not accidental. They're trying to have a conversation about racism while avoiding the rest.

It maybe treats "people who virulently hate Latinos" as a subset of people who support Trump's immigration/border agenda (which, duh), but it doesn't even remotely try to make a broader statement about Trump and his supporters.

Last edited:
But the ONLY views being espoused are "I don't like Latinos," not any broader sense of "conservatism." Nobody ever talks about their politcal views at all, nobody says "Trump." They don't use the Gadston flag, they use something that is maybe kind of broadly similar. All of that is not accidental. They're trying to have a conversation about racism while avoiding the rest.

It maybe treats "people who virulently hate Latinos" as a subset of people who support Trump's immigration/border agenda (which, duh), but it doesn't even remotely try to make a broader statement about Trump and his supporters.

There's no way you believe this.

Bootzilla

Banned
There's no way you believe this.
I do, and I don't necessarily mean it as a compliment. The new Watchmen on HBO fell into this same trap, wanting to show racism, but actively avoiding greater conversations about institutional or systemic racism, and playing it very safe. BlacKKKlansman is another one where racism was treated as a few bad apples. It's all very safe and milquetoast and careful not to offend anyone other than hardcore racists.

I don't really like that. I thought something like Sorry to Bother You handles the subject of racism far better, with real political bite, because it's not afraid to go after the whole system and everyone who participates in it on all sides.

Last edited:

nikolino840

xx1Y4vb.jpg

Well...we can Say this...in the US characters like this exists in Real world?

Ascend

I played all LiS games... And... Even though there's political stuff in it, it didn't bother me, except one thing.... A 10 year old that thinks it's weird to watch two guys kiss must either be ignored, called a stalker, or be told he's simply wrong. There is no option to agree with him, and, to me, that, is wrong. Other than that, all the references are 'meh' to me. I thought it was a good game anyway.

Handel

Love that it's a new cast each time, with different types of stories and themes being explored. Liked a lot of LiS1, but it fell apart at the end and I dislike Chloe even though overall I see her as pretty well written within the story. LiS2 had a much better ending, and Daniel while annoying at times like children can be, rarely came off as overly so and I like him more than Chloe. Captain Spirit I loved too for what it was, it touched on experiences very personal to my own life living with crack addict parents.

Hope DONTNOD can continue on as they fulfill a unique niche in the industry. They do need to improve on getting episodes out faster though, and also fixing audio bugs. Those were the two worst things about LiS2.

drganon

No interest in this. In retrospect, season 1 wasn't that good and from what I've seen of season 2, it looks even worse. The whole episodic model of gaming needs to go away in general.

But the ONLY views being espoused are "I don't like Latinos," not any broader sense of "conservatism." Nobody ever talks about their politcal views at all, nobody says "Trump." They don't use the Gadston flag, they use something that is maybe kind of broadly similar. All of that is not accidental.

That's not even true. Nick goes on a rant about entitled millennial freeloaders living off of government handouts. There's other examples as well, but it doesn't even matter because characters expressing their racist views on immigration literally is them talking about their political views. They're literally referencing the president while doing it. The fact that this doesn't meet your standard for a character expressing a political view is only proof that your standard is nonsense.

You're ridiculously using the fact that DontNod wrote a one dimensional portrayal of conservatives as a defense. That's the problem. Using your logic it would actually be impossible to write a one dimensional portrayal of any group (religious,racial,political or whatever) because someone like you would say that the fact that it's one dimensional is proof the portrayal is not even about that group.

So, let's say I write a story where every Muslim you encounter is either a terrorist or terrorist sympathizer... I could use your argument and claim: "The ONLY views being espoused are 'I support terrorism' not any broader sense of Islam." My characters could even blatantly reference Allah while saying they support terrorism (The same way LiS 2's conservatives reference Trump) and that still wouldn't be an example of them talking about their religious views. "I'm clearly not saying anything about Islam or Muslims." "It's at worst an incredibly "safe" lets-not-point-fingers statement about universally bad stuff that most people on all sides can agree is bad. Terrorism, stoning women, killing apostates... It's soft and innoffensive to almost everyone." "There are no "islamic viewpoints" in any of this story. Unless you're defining terrorism itself as islamic."

Congratulations, your mental gymnastics give a pass for the worst possible kind of stereotyping in fiction.

They're trying to have a conversation about racism while avoiding the rest.

Bullshit, they've explicitly said their game is about politics. You're wrong.

but it doesn't even remotely try to make a broader statement about Trump and his supporters.

Wow, it's kinda weird how pretty much everyone in the world, besides you, got that from the game despite it "not even remotely" being a statement about Trump.

Life Is Strange 2 is an intimate portrait of the Trump era - Polygon
Life Is Strange 2 finds humanity in the inhumanity of Trumpian politics - Mashable
Donald Trump Is Front and Center in Life Is Strange 2 - Houston Press
Life Is Strange 2 confronts the brutal ugliness of racism in Donald Trump's America - MxDwn

Sure are a lot of people picking up on this statement that's "not even remotely" there.

Last edited:

Bootzilla

Banned
Wow, it's kinda weird how pretty much everyone in the world, besides you, got that from the game despite it "not even remotely" being a statement about Trump.

Life Is Strange 2 is an intimate portrait of the Trump era - Polygon
Life Is Strange 2 finds humanity in the inhumanity of Trumpian politics - Mashable
Donald Trump Is Front and Center in Life Is Strange 2 - Houston Press
Life Is Strange 2 confronts the brutal ugliness of racism in Donald Trump's America - MxDwn

Sure are a lot of people picking up on this statement that's "not even remotely" there.
I mean you can find similar thinkpieces about Crash and Watchmen and other limp takes on racism but I think part of what people like about those takes is that they exonerate everyone except the hardcore racists so everyone can see what they want in them.

Now, a game like Bioshock, THAT is political, and it's a savage takedown on American conservatism, but you all liked that one because it did it through allegory.

I mean you can find similar thinkpieces about Crash and Watchmen and other limp takes on racism but I think part of what people like about those takes is that they exonerate everyone except the hardcore racists so everyone can see what they want in them.

Now, a game like Bioshock, THAT is political, and it's a savage takedown on American conservatism, but you all liked that one because it did it through allegory.

I gatta admit, even after all your other posts I still wasn't expecting a response this comically weak.

Good troll, dude. I'll stop wasting my time. Lmao.

Bootzilla

Banned
But seriously can we talk a bit about how avowed objectivist Colin Moriarty loves Bioshock, an entire game about how Objectivism is shit? It's wild to me how people can ignore political messages when they're run through an abstraction layer.

If Life is Strange was about Space Racists, I'm sure no one would bitch, it's just hitting too close to home for some of y'all.

ExpandKong

Banned
But seriously can we talk a bit about how avowed objectivist Colin Moriarty loves Bioshock, an entire game about how Objectivism is shit? It's wild to me how people can ignore political messages when they're run through an abstraction layer.

If Life is Strange was about Space Racists, I'm sure no one would bitch, it's just hitting too close to home for some of y'all.

“Don’t like poorly-written, forced, hackneyed, eye-rolling political commentary in a video game? Why do you hate brown people bro?”

Yeah okay.

Bootzilla

Banned
“Don’t like poorly-written, forced, hackneyed, eye-rolling political commentary in a video game? Why do you hate brown people bro?”

Yeah okay.

Except here's what I actually said:
If you think it's hamfisted or not well written or whatever that's another conversation, but if you're taking THAT as an attack on your political ideology, I think you have think long and hard about how you define yourself.
I've said myself I find its handling of the subject pretty blunt and superficial, but that's different than saying it offends your ideology or that it's "too political."

Last edited:

nikolino840

I'm afraid to discover what they'll come up with. Anyway they should ditch the episodic model imo, it's not working anymore and LiS 2 lost a lot of the initial interest because of that. Just make one longer adventure game.
Yeah but could be a very long Adventure
I think the medium hours for episode Is 3hr..so 15 hr in total

I have an idea for Dontnod, here it is:

So you are this Black Guy at at a pro-communist dorm and you see a butterfly which gives you the power to turn into a Transgender Asian feminist in order to join the Anti-Trump sorority.

Then there's a chapter where you fight a capitalist in court and you have to switch between the two to earn enough woke points with the jury who will find you innocent even though you clearly committed the crime of vandalism.

Then there will be a drunk guy with a dog living in a trailer and in your other form you have a lesbian relationship with your friend Cloe, and you have to collect all the woke point in the world or the hurricane will replace your town with capitalism.

Actually that sounds a lot like the first game other than the first part.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Some of you guys should give the episodic format a chance its not a bad fit for all games, especially Life is Strange.
Sometimes its nice to be able to just play a couple hours of something complete it. Have time to properly digest it and then move on to something else while you wait for the next episode.

I really don't get the episodic "thing". I hate it when I can't finish a game at my own pace. It's like TV series that airs once a week, the producer/broadcaster/developer just wants to milk it and it feels like a thing of the past. There are absolutely zero benefits for the end consumer.

plushyp

I wish LiS2 dealt with the lead character suddenly gaining telepathy. I've yet to see a game tackle the moral ambiguity and implications of being able to read another person's thoughts and mind on a whim. Would have lead to a lot of interesting situations and plot points for the players to deal with in different ways.

Shaqazooloo

Im gonna leave this here, prior to this thread I knew Life is Strange 2 went in at least a little on political commentary but I didn't think it was this bad. This is like a game made entirely by Resetera. The plots pretty weak lol Life is Strange 2 looks so bad.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Im gonna leave this here, prior to this thread I knew Life is Strange 2 went in at least a little on political commentary but I didn't think it was this bad. This is like a game made entirely by Resetera. The plots pretty weak lol Life is Strange 2 looks so bad.

Damn... only watched a few minutes of that, but I've just about lost all interest in buying it at some point. I really liked the first Life if Strange, but that doesn't look like something I want to play.

ManaByte

Gold Member

I miss the days of Lucasarts adventure games where they were just silly fun things you played.

Handel

Channels like GameSins and CinemaSins are trash.

Top Bottom