• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DONTNOD Entertainment Devs (life is strange) Want New Story For Third Game, Switch Ports For Series.

I usually hate the "sins" genre of YT videos because they come off as really knit picking and pedantic. I haven't seen the Life Is Strange 2 video itself so idk if it's the same or not. There's certainly enough to criticize in LiS 2 without getting into obscure knit picks.

Shaqazooloo

I usually hate the "sins" genre of YT videos because they come off as really knit picking and pedantic. I haven't seen the Life Is Strange 2 video itself so idk if it's the same or not. There's certainly enough to criticize in LiS 2 without getting into obscure knit picks.
It sort of is but he has a lot of legitimate critism of Life is Strange 2. He talks a lot on how dumb the main premise of the plot is, how bad it is in comparison to Life is Strange 1, bad writing, all the annoying polical stuff and plot points and character actions that don't make any sense.

That's usually how you can tell the game this guy is sinning is bad, because when his video turns into an actual critic of the game that could possibly pass as a review if you trim the fat, then you know he didn't enjoy his time.

Handel

It sort of is but he has a lot of legitimate critism of Life is Strange 2. He talks a lot on how dumb the main premise of the plot is, how bad it is in comparison to Life is Strange 1, bad writing, all the annoying polical stuff and plot points and character actions that don't make any sense.

That's usually how you can tell the game this guy is sinning is bad, because when his video turns into an actual critic of the game that could possibly pass as a review if you trim the fat, then you know he didn't enjoy his time.
Just from the few minutes I could stand, his criticisms were nitpicks or just one narrow view of why the plot was bad. Like if you don't understand why Sean in that situation would run, can't think of a plausible reason for him to do that while he's in a shell shocked state, then there's no reaching you with certain topics.

Last edited:
Nah, the fact that Sean ran is a big problem because even his character fails to adequately explain it, and the topic is brought to his attention multiple times. Also, bear in mind this wasn't just a reflexive thing, they committed to running away for a long time. You could say that past a point Sean & Daniel are "all in" on running because they do commit legit crimes after a bit. But still, there's plenty of time before then where Sean had ample opportunity to second guess his choice. Also, there's stuff like Brodie -- who is clearly framed as a moral character/ "road guide" -- saying that running is a good idea. Which couldn't be further from the truth, it's the worst possible thing Sean could have done.

There's just no way they would have been blamed for the initial incident and if Sean had any sense at some point he'd realize that. It's literally an unexplainable, freak accident, that blew up half a suburban block for no reason. A decently smart 16 year old kid eventually would think "wait a minute... what could they actually pin on me? are they gonna guess my kid brother has super powers?" The best motivation Sean musters is that he was afraid that him and his brother would be separated but that's really weak. Even his grandparents straight up tell him there's no way he could be sure of that and they're right. Fleeing the entire country on a baseless hunch is really stupid.

Funnily enough the cop at the end of the game straight up says they would just have been given to their grandparents after the initial incident. Which is what I would have assumed. I think most logical people would have assumed the same thing. That's a problem when one of the main character's core motivations required him to be extremely illogical for long periods of time, despite other characters telling him better. Sean isn't framed as being unintelligent or irrational enough for that to make sense. It just happens because it has to. That's a fair criticism.

Handel

Nah, the fact that Sean ran is a big problem because even his character fails to adequately explain it, and the topic is brought to his attention multiple times. Also, bear in mind this wasn't just a reflexive thing, they committed to running away for a long time. You could say that past a point Sean & Daniel are "all in" on running because they do commit legit crimes after a bit. But still, there's plenty of time before then where Sean had ample opportunity to second guess his choice. Also, there's stuff like Brodie -- who is clearly framed as a moral character/ "road guide" -- saying that running is a good idea. Which couldn't be further from the truth, it's the worst possible thing Sean could have done.

There's just no way they would have been blamed for the initial incident and if Sean had any sense at some point he'd realize that. It's literally an unexplainable, freak accident, that blew up half a suburban block for no reason. A decently smart 16 year old kid eventually would think "wait a minute... what could they actually pin on me? are they gonna guess my kid brother has super powers?" The best motivation Sean musters is that he was afraid that him and his brother would be separated but that's really weak. Even his grandparents straight up tell him there's no way he could be sure of that and they're right. Fleeing the entire country on a baseless hunch is really stupid.

Funnily enough the cop at the end of the game straight up says they would just have been given to their grandparents after the initial incident. Which is what I would have assumed. I think most logical people would have assumed the same thing. That's a problem when one of the main character's core motivations required him to be extremely illogical for long periods of time, despite other characters telling him better. Sean isn't framed as being unintelligent or irrational enough for that to make sense. It just happens because it has to. That's a fair criticism.
I think part of the issue here is you're taking Brody and maybe Sean as voices of the author and not the flawed people that they are in this story. The other is that I don't think that you're not giving enough consideration to Sean's age, new circumstances that arise past the point of running and other motivations Sean has for not turning back. Sean's age is especially a factor as teens in the modern age think relatively small things to an adult like getting rejected by your crush are life ruining, some will act out and/or run away from home for these relatively minor things.

So in just the initial situation post their dad's death and Daniels psychic explosion, here are some things to consider from Sean's perspective, some he brings up himself to some extent or another :

-a cop just unjustifiably fatally shot his dad just because he had beaten up a kid his own age, it at most looked like a possible stabbing but no weapons were visible, and no further blood was spreading to indicate a serious wound. His faith in the police to act rationally has just been shattered, and in the moment he has every reason to fear they might act violently towards him and his brother, with a cop car flipped over and a cop seemingly dead/seriously injured.

-even if they aren't violent towards them, he at least has reason to think that at minimum he goes to juvie, at worst to prison. Again, his faith in law enforcement being just has taken a huge hit, so even if logically he thinks that they can't be held accountable for it, there would be doubt that they wouldn't try to pin it on him somehow. Even if not legally held accountable, the court of public opinion is going to be brutal towards him as well.

-Sean is not just running away from any kind of punishment he thinks will happen, but from confronting what did happen which is only heightened by Daniel not remembering. Confronting his dad's death, possible separation from his brother, possibly being without a home if his grandparents don't take them/him in, even if they do starting over in a new place with his involvement in a freak accident that killed a cop hanging over his head. It's easier for him to just pretend they're off on a hiking trip early then face the weight of the reality that awaits him if he surrenders himself. To add onto this is the political climate the game is set in, with the basically Trump candidate in the game spouting racist rhetoric against his race.

Then there are factors that come into play later:

-him running in the first place makes him look guiltier than he otherwise would be, so that plays into his mindset

-Daniel's powers emerging. While it's not like the cops are going to link what happened there to psychic powers as if they're omniscient, Daniels powers aren't bound to go away either and to Sean's knowledge appear beyond his control when highly emotional. There is a feasible chance that something could happen that could get him taken and experimented on. Beyond that, it helps Sean rationalize his own decision to run away from the entire situation if he can make it about protecting his brother.

-his encounter with the gas station owner further breaking his trust in most adults/the country to treat him right and adding to what crimes can be pinned on him

-Brody doesn't to my remembrance push him to keep running, but given how he lives his life is supportive of it if that's what Sean chooses. Without his help they might well have just gotten caught or given up from lack of transportation/supplies so he plays a significant part in their journey, but he himself is shown to be flawed if you keep up with his posts on his site. Brody is kind of how I imagine some REE members would be if they matured some and chilled out. They disown their families but Brody makes peace with his in the end, and acknowledges that someone like him is useless at important things like managing finances. That he appreciates/admires his brother's stability in taking care of the family, despite their political differences.

As you say, multiple people in the game criticize Sean's choices, and while they aren't the ultimate authority and have their opinions steeped in their own biases, the game in the end leans towards their viewpoint I think. While there is no given "good ending" by the creators, the separation ending is the one that best fits the bill. If you teach your brother right, even if you choose to escape to Mexico, he chooses to stay and face any consequences. Sean in a lot of ways made bad choices, that in the end led to the best choice for himself being a new life elsewhere. This is the ending I got and was satisfied with it, and oddly proud of my fictional younger brother for having learned the right lessons.

Sorry for late response have been busy. You bring up good points and I can see how you could view things the way you do, but it's not the impression I got. Life is Strange 2 isn't always solid in explaining rationale which is one of it's faults, unless you have a similar mindset to what they're going for some things could get muddled. They're French developers who do research on these matters but that can only get you so far.

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

It's not an everyday or common accurance like Life is Strange 2 is trying to make it seem.

Are their racist/xenophobic people out in the world? yes but they aren't lurking in every corner.

Also, why is only racist/xenophobic white people? White people aren't the only ones capable of racist/xenophobic acts.

Edit: Added Xenophobic to my post, because the whole Mexican thing should be classified as such.

Last edited:

Ascend

It's not an everyday or common accurance like Life is Strange 2 is trying to make it seem.

Are their racist/xenophobic people out in the world? yes but they aren't lurking in every corner.
I wouldn't know. I don't live in the US, nor am I a Mexican. I guess they would be the ones to ask, to tell what their experiences are. It also varies from state to state I imagine.

Also, why is only racist/xenophobic white people? White people aren't the only ones capable of racist/xenophobic acts.
That's true. It does take place in the US though. If it took place in Nigeria we would expect black people to do it. If it took place in China we would expect Chinese to do it.

To me, people are reading way too much into this. I can understand why, but they also met quite a few white people that weren't like that. Obviously some things are exaggerated for story impact. But is everyone forgetting that black dude at the pot house? He was an ass too. And Brody was a nice white dude, although he was a bit of a creep.

Shaqazooloo

I've been watching some playthroughs of LiS2 again and it's kind of surprising how little gameplay it has. The first game seemed way more interactive and interesting. LiS2 is a massive downgrade from the first game in all departments imo.

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

LiS 1 was a pleasant surprise for me. Solid characters and story, not too short, not too long, good gameplay. Enjoyable and gripping experience. But somehow I wasn't eager to get the sequels even on sale. One is enough. Done deal. This didn't need sequels really.

Alandring

I've been watching some playthroughs of LiS2 again and it's kind of surprising how little gameplay it has. The first game seemed way more interactive and interesting. LiS2 is a massive downgrade from the first game in all departments imo.
I don't think narrative games need gameplay. Wales Interactive games don't have any gameplay, for example, and I really enjoy them. In The Dark Pictures Anthology, I think that the gameplay is just annoying.

But yeah, Life is Strange 2 is by far the worst Dontnod game released since Remember Me. Life is Strange 1 and Tell Me Why are much better.

Larxia

Remember Me was their best game in my opinion. It had some flaws sure, but I really loved it. The atmosphere, the world, the musics, the story, even the combat system with the "build your combos" mechanic was really cool though could have been deeper. Really not sure why some people hate it.
Life is strange 1 was nice but I really gave up after that, the studio became too involved in the "woke" stuff for my tastes.

bender

What time is it?
I never understood the appeal of Life is Strange so I skipped the sequel. That style of game peaked with Until Dawn or Walking Dead Season 1.

Freeman76

Rumour has it their next project is about a transgender fox fighting for its right to be considered a human.

I will never support this company, I have my suspicions about them being behind Restera and I'm sure of them are mods there.

Last edited:

Larxia

I never understood the appeal of Life is Strange so I skipped the sequel. That style of game peaked with Until Dawn or Walking Dead Season 1.
While there's some stuff I don't like in Life Is Strange, I globally liked it, and a lot more than stuff like Walking Dead, because there is more "gameplay", in the sense that you can always walk around by yourself, explore etc. Felt more involved than something like telltale games for me.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
While there's some stuff I don't like in Life Is Strange, I globally liked it, and a lot more than stuff like Walking Dead, because there is more "gameplay", in the sense that you can always walk around by yourself, explore etc. Felt more involved than something like telltale games for me.

I thought the ending of LiS was terrible but I also never felt invested in the characters. If you haven't tried Until Dawn and have a PS4/PS5, give it a whirl. It might be up your ally.

xrnzaaas

Less gameplay than in LiS1 is actually one of this games's minor problems. The game being filled with political propaganda up to a point the devs don't matter about anything else, not having likeable protagonists and lacking cool superpowers are the main issues.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Step 1: De-mind virus
Step 2: Find some loophole to make another Max and Chloe adventure, without ruining the original’s ending
Step 3: Put your heart and soul into it, instead of CNN
Step 4: Reap rewards and profits

Miles708

And I want a complete retail edition of Life is strange 2.
We can't have it all.

Seriously, THIS.
Making a retail edition and making the last episode downloadable, is a total misuderstanding and makes it totally useless.
That the heck.

Same thing happened with The Council. I would have totally bought that game if the retail version was complete. But no, you still have to download the rest of the game.

To whoever makes these decisions: you suck and I hate you.

Top Bottom