• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM – Launch Trailer

Momentary

Banned
I'm all in just for the single player campaign. It's what I've been waiting for. That gtx 1080 presentation of the game was all I needed.

Moff

Uhh that enemy spawning thing is straight out of Doom 3. Not crazy about it but that's, to the letter, what Doom 3 did.

I realy can't agree here, I liked doom 3 a lot, and I hate arena gameplay.
Doom 3 did pretty much what doom 1 and 2 did as well, spawn some enemies when you pick something up. but several waves in an arena area? I don't remember that at all. maybe very rarely. but in new doom this seems to be the case in pretty much every room.

SparkTR

I'm all in just for the single player campaign. It's what I've been waiting for. That gtx 1080 presentation of the game was all I needed.

I kind of feel the same. Even if the game has a poor story, pacing, repetition etc, as long as the gameplay is that fast and smooth with a mouse I'm happy. Just want something Quake-like that's modern, just keep throwing enemies at me and I'll be fine.

I realy can't agree here, I liked doom 3 a lot, and I hate arena gameplay.
Doom 3 did pretty much what doom 1 and 2 did as well, spawn some enemies when you pick something up. but several waves in an arena area? I don't remember that at all. maybe very rarely. but in new doom this seems to be the case in pretty much every room.

Doom 1&2 didn't really spawn enemies when you picked up weapons, usually a wall would come down or you'd be teleported to a space with enemies. Which forced you to immediately jump into the action as opposed to Doom 3 which would give you a flash, essentially warning specifically where an enemy will be and giving you plenty of time to prepare and they were usually in very small numbers in succession.

ALL 3 are great games, but 1&2 play substantially differently than 3 in just about every way. I'd say you could consider the enemy encounters in 3 as "wave based" but Doom 1&2 most certainly not. You'd just be surprised as level design was so good in those games(1&2) that enemies would be placed in places you aren't looking or expecting. Sometimes it'd be one guy, others it'd be 15. It always kept you on your toes those first playthroughs and they were amazing for it.

ironcreed

Banned

Well, that is really what it is all about anyway. That said, I do find the multiplayer fun and will get some extra enjoyment out of it. I'll take it.

Doom 1&2 didn't really spawn enemies when you picked up weapons, usually a wall would come down or you'd be teleported to a space with enemies. Which forced you to immediately jump into the action as opposed to Doom 3 which would give you a flash, essentially warning specifically where an enemy will be and giving you plenty of time to prepare and they were usually in very small numbers in succession in 3. ALL 3 are great games, but 1&2 play substantially differently than 3 in just about every way.

Yes, why does everyone keep saying enemies spawn in Doom 1 and 2? They are traps with enemy placement that can be sussed out and anticipated with enough attention paid unlike the obnoxious random teleport thing in Doom 3.

I didn't think Doom 3 was terrible or anything, but the restrictive environments and enemy teleportation schtick hampered it massively. Nothing more exciting than knowing that basically every other room you step into someone is going to teleport right in front of you and right behind you after clearing out the 'behind you' space prior to it. Not very fun.

Simo

Yep, I can confirm. Just like my copy. I'm having a blast with the game.

So much fun!!! Bethesda nailed the single player campaing (didn't touch the snap map and Multiplayer).

Played for 5 hours yesterday and enjoyed every single frame. The game starts at a frenetic pacing and keeps growing. And there is the Soundtrack..... GOD SO GOOD!!!!!

I'm going to play today with the HT 6.1 today.

São Caetano do Sul - SP - Brazil

At the mall - UZ Games.

The MSRP is 249,99R$ (which is a lot..... Uncharted 4 is R$ 199,99)

Here is some screens that I took.

ps_messages_20160509_xfzjw.jpg

ps_messages_20160509_vwa18.jpg

ps_messages_20160509_4wxbb.jpg

ps_messages_20160509_9ilsp.jpg

Pretty big enviroments. Big arenas to fight, fast paced combat, superb aim.

Hahaha I was watching your stream last night dude when you started!! ....then it got shutdown. I hope you wasn't banned? :(

wwm0nkey

Yep, I can confirm. Just like my copy. I'm having a blast with the game.

So much fun!!! Bethesda nailed the single player campaing (didn't touch the snap map and Multiplayer).

Played for 5 hours yesterday and enjoyed every single frame. The game starts at a frenetic pacing and keeps growing. And there is the Soundtrack..... GOD SO GOOD!!!!!

I'm going to play today with the HT 6.1 today.
How many levels have you done so far? Really want this to be 12 hours lol

antitrop

• I dig the art direction, a lot. At first it felt a bit too sci-fi and less satanical (even if the sci-fi was surely fascinating with its emphasis on heavy machinery and industrial settings, with some elements that reminded me of both Halo 4 and Warhammer 40k), but once you get to Hell... woah, you will not be disappointed. The character designs is equally great, I personally adore the designs of the various demons: they look menacing and grotesque, and it's super fun to tear them apart. And also, something that is a big plus in my book: the game is not afraid to use colors. Of course the palette will be mainly red and brownish, but the tones are super saturated, and here and there you will see some inspiring and jaw-dropping panoramas of damnation.
We almost got Piss Filter Doom, I'm glad they took feedback to heart and made the game more vibrant and colorful.

RowdyReverb

I think they are WAAAY more people on board now than there are haters. This game went from looking like crap to me when first revealed to something I just bought for that day one enjoyment. That 1080 Vulkcan Doom presentation just won me over. That was just amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueRjbYdcXbs

That mouse movement man. How fast. How awesome.
Wow, I had missed this video. That speed is incredible! I'm glad to see that the game can be played his fast if the player chooses to do so

Hey can someone do a favor and create an Open Thread for DOOM, I'm unable to do it right now since I am still a Junior Member

What do you mean by "open thread"?

edit: ahh, I see you mean Official Thread. wwm0nkey's right though. They don't go up till release and I'm sure it's been claimed already.

Moff

Doom 1&2 didn't really spawn enemies when you picked up weapons, usually a wall would come down or you'd be teleported to a space with enemies. Which forced you to immediately jump into the action as opposed to Doom 3 which would give you a flash, essentially warning specifically where an enemy will be and giving you plenty of time to prepare and they were usually in very small numbers in succession.

ALL 3 are great games, but 1&2 play substantially differently than 3 in just about every way. I'd say you could consider the enemy encounters in 3 as "wave based" but Doom 1&2 most certainly not. You'd just be surprised as level design was so good in those games(1&2) that enemies would be placed in places you aren't looking or expecting. Sometimes it'd be one guy, others it'd be 15. It always kept you on your toes those first playthroughs and they were amazing for it.
oh I agree, I'm playing brutal doom right now.
I just don't think it was waves in d3, I know d3 plays a lot different than 1 and 2, but the suddenly appearing enemies (I don't think it matters much if they are teleported in or a wall comes down and releases them) are not something that was new to d3.

empty rooms and arena gameplay with waves however will be something new and I probably wont like it

oh I agree, I'm playing brutal doom right now.
I just don't think it was waves in d3, I know d3 plays a lot different than 1 and 2, but the suddenly appearing enemies (I don't think it matters much if they are teleported in or a wall comes down and releases them) are not something that was new to d3.

empty rooms and arena gameplay with waves however will be something new and I probably wont like it

Yeah, I've been playing through Brutal Doom with Doom 2 and am blown away by how well it holds up and is massively enhanced by that mod.

That GTX 1080 Vulcan gameplay doesn't really show them spawning in as waves, at least not in the same way as Doom 3 so maybe that is just relegated to specific instances. We'll see. I can't wait.

This'll be the last game I play on my PC before I have to pack it up and ship it across the country and I'm jonesing right now for it. But Brutal Doom is a very nice stop-gap. I've been listening to Master's of Doom on audiobook while I play and it's been a really good time.

Do you agree with my impressions? :p
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=202991655&postcount=504

What chapter are you at?
I'm at the start of
the 8th mission
And yeah, the soundtrack is dope.

Yep. I don't agree on being divise, I think it has something for everyone (at least for the FPS Maniacs)...

I think the game is fun for those who know what they are buying. A fast paced shooter with a lot of violence. But the focus on finishers is a bit disturbing.

The way the game starts clearly shows the empasis on close quarters combat (you start with a shotgun!!!!!!!) and you'll spend most of the time using shotguns.

I turned down the controler right at Hell, the first image that I posted (I think it's chapter
)

Art direction is phenomenal, and ID Tech 6 it's pretty impressive at 1080p and 60 fps.

How many levels have you done so far? Really want this to be 12 hours lol

Played for 5 hours and haven't found nothing yet. At this pacing (unlocks and secrets....) I expect something around 10-12 hours.

Hahaha I was watching your stream last night dude when you started!! ....then it got shutdown. I hope you wasn't banned? :(

I got an e-mail from Youtube saying that I got 1 Strike. Guess 3 strikes and I'm out?

I think this is stupid, I bought the game, let me do whatever I want with it!!!!!!!!!!!

I got an e-mail from Youtube saying that I got 1 Strike. Guess 3 strikes and I'm out?

I think this is stupid, I bought the game, let me do whatever I want with it!!!!!!!!!!!
It's free advertising haha but I guess there's technically issues with when legally the game should be available by. I don't plan on streaming but definitely getting my copy a little early!

Simo

Wow. So those comments about people getting banned for streaming it was true then? That's crazy. lol

Any chance you'd be able to save some footage and upload it to YouTube as unlisted and share it just with GAF so everyone can see some of the goods from the final game? I'd love to see a little more, as well as the 3D model viewer in the menu!

It's free advertising haha but I guess there's technically issues with when legally the game should be available by. I don't plan on streaming but definitely getting my copy a little early!

I paid a lot for this game.... a friend of mine (the moron playing Spice Girls at the streaming) said to open donations. At least I would paid the game and done free advertising for the community.

I peaked yesterday, got 57 viewers!!!!! (and strangly, I was excited about that hahahaha).

Salz01

I paid a lot for this game.... a friend of mine (the moron playing Spice Girls at the streaming) said to open donations. At least I would paid the game and done free advertising for the community.

I peaked yesterday, got 57 viewers!!!!! (and strangly, I was excited about that hahahaha).

Are you playing on console or PC?

Wow. So those comments about people getting banned for streaming it was true then? That's crazy. lol

Any chance you'd be able to save some footage and upload it to YouTube as unlisted and share it just with GAF so everyone can see some of the goods from the final game? I'd love to see a little more, as well as the 3D model viewer in the menu!

You mean.... this?

ps_messages_20160509_7wygc.jpg

I'll be happy to provide extra footage later today, sadly I'm stuck at work right now.....

And since I don't have any capture card, I'm limited to 720p and 30 fps from the PS4 Share function.

Don't worry, I won't post spoiler things here. (I hate spoilers, already saw every location from Uncharted at the screenshot thread..... I want to murder everyone there...)

PS4!!!!

Certain parts of the early impressions sound pretty disappointing. From the people I've watched, combat looks quite dull but I can't tell if that's because they suck or not.

Apologies to the poster above if that's him! But one person was essentially playing tag with the demons and jumping/falling from platforms, wasn't great fun to watch.

Simo

You mean.... this?

ps_messages_20160509_7wygc.jpg

I'll be happy to provide extra footage later today, sadly I'm stuck at work right now.....

And since I don't have any capture card, I'm limited to 720p and 30 fps from the PS4 Share function.

PS4!!!!

Yeah there we go! lol I just dig it when they put in those model viewers like Batman: Arkham series or Uncharted, so you can really appreciate the visuals and the amount of detail in the models.

Has anyone tried the PS4 ver.? Does it run good?

From the streams it seems to. Looks 1080p and 60fps but the only downside is the game has some screen tearing which also plagues the Xbox version too.

oh wow, that sure dampens my expectations. I hate that kind of gameplay.
but I am glad I know in advance now, thanks a lot for the impressions.

so you never encounter monsters just standing around or patrolling?
you always enter empty rooms and the monsters spawn everywhere around you?

Yeah this lowers my expectations too. I was surely going to buy this game 1st and still probably will... but damn.

Has anyone tried the PS4 ver.? Does it run good?

Some dips and screen tearing when traversal (due to loading I guess). Less problematic streaming texture problems from previous ID Tech games.

Rock solid 60 fps in combat, 1080p (it looks a little blury due to Post FX), but I think it looks amazing. Pretty remakable since arenas are very rich in details, pretty big and with a lot of FX.

ZenTzen

Yeah this lowers my expectations too. I was surely going to buy this game 1st and still probably will... but damn.

i want to know this as well, do you encounter enemies just roaming aroung during exploration and inbetween those "arenas" with more heavy combat and spawning monsters?

EDIT
There are enemies Patroling (at the beginning only stupid pawns), they start spawning when you attack the red orb. Then things get fun and gory.

ps_messages_20160509_vwa18.jpg

so you do fight enemies between those areas, does higher threats appear besides fodder enemies

Some dips and screen tearing when traversal (due to loading I guess). Less problematic streaming texture problems from previous ID Tech games.

Rock solid 60 fps in combat, 1080p (it looks a little blury due to Post FX), but I think it looks amazing. Pretty remakable since arenas are very rich in details, pretty big and with a lot of FX.

You can put this in spoiler tags,
but how are the remakes of Doom 1 levels? Are outside levels decent?

Yes they do. There is plenty of combat in between "arenas".

I am really cool with that. Now my only concern are the glory kills. I wish they had made them and the chainsaw executions have movement to them so you don't slow down as much instead of stopping abruptly everytime.

Ixion

IIRC G-Fex has the claim for Doom OT. Check the OT claim thread from community forum.

G-Fex isn't making the OT anymore. JumPeRJumPzZ said he would do it though. If any of you guys want to contribute, you can PM him.

i want to know this as well, do you encounter enemies just roaming aroung during exploration and inbetween those "arenas" with more heavy combat and spawning monsters?

There are enemies roaming around outside of the arena sections. This game isn't solely an arena based game. The levels are mostly open-ended with branching paths and secrets to find, but the levels also contain arena sections here and there to allow for some really big, intense battles.

You can put this in spoiler tags,
but how are the remakes of Doom 1 levels? Are outside levels decent?

You know, I was expecting more from them. I found 2 rooms and they were empty.... =(
Got some ammo and health and that's it!!!
And they are pretty small, one was just one square.

EDIT

so you do fight enemies between those areas, does higher threats appear besides fodder enemies

I'm starting to see stronger enemies between the arenas. Maybe in Hell things will be worse....

ZenTzen

You know, I was expecting more from them. I found 2 rooms and they were empty.... =(
Got some ammo and health and that's it!!!
And they are pretty small, one was just one square.

didnt they say you would unlock the full levels from each of those areas after endgame from the main menu, think it was stated in the gamespot SP showing

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

The PC version hasn't unlocked anywhere, and since Bethesda isn't sending out review copies, the only people with a release state override version are id/Bethesda employees and probably some Valve folks.

Ooccoo

Twitch will ban you for streaming a game before its official release date unless 1) you are the dev/pub or 2) you got permission from said dev/pub. It's quite clear. Youtube must be the same. You aren't supposed to be playing the game right now unless you are media. By streaming it ahead of time, you just say fuck you to street dates.

Ixion

When can we expect reviews to start showing up?

Review copies aren't being sent out until release day because SnapMap and the Multiplayer won't be live until then. That's the reason Bethesda gave.

So we'll probably see some rushed reviews on release day, unless there's an embargo after that, but I don't think you can set a post-release embargo...

didnt they say you would unlock the full levels from each of those areas after endgame from the main menu, think it was stated in the gamespot SP showing

There is an option at the main menu with the levels. I'll try at night with some pictures

Trophy hunters!!! The not secret trophies are easy!!! I hope they don't screw with something like complete the game without dying on Nightmare - Extreme hidden trophy....

My PSN ID is Jakartalado if you want to check it out!!!

Oh, that was you. I was in there watching too. I got the link from some people on twitch that were looking for streams.

Man, I just realized that though this comes out Friday, I won't have time to play it much until Tuesday morning. Sad trombone.

Top Bottom