• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom 3 BFG edition. Anyone excited for this?

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Nonetheless, it's not a tall order and the feature would have been welcomed by those who don't venture outside of a game's vanilla offerings (the "casual crowd", you might say).

I agree completely. While adding Mods generally isn't an issue, why should a mod for 3 older games have to be added to begin with? More so, removing features for an "ultimate" edition is never a good practice. I have all the Dooms on PC already, so the option is there for me, but I wanted to support iD/Bethesda and show that I still love the franchise. Still, I am looking forward to reading people's impressions of this that have never played it before. I'm jealous.

FGMPR

Banned
I kind of want this for the widescreen and 3D. I really wish they could of added in co op for the campaign though. It would be an instant buy in that case...

Xander51

The graphics in this look decent, though options are limited to resolution, AA, and the new motion blur effect.

Played it with a pad for an hour and it's really skittish. There's not much in the way of control configuration for gamepads, just two different almost-identical schemes. Sprinting is assigned to holding down the left stick button while moving, which I loathe.

It is kind of cool being able to jump in and out of Doom 1 and 2 right alongside 3, but sadly they have zero control scheme options other than turning pad support on or off.

For those wondering about flashlight shadows earlier in the thread, the PC version of this does not have them. This is pretty clearly just the console version of the game with some extra graphics options tacked in. A little disappointing, but getting it for 20 dollars on Steam helped lessen that and it's still a decent package. I really enjoy the improved sound effects, though as mentioned above some of the textures look iffy.

Min.us or Abload.de.

Awesome thanks.

For size said:
ibsrtlNdiXDBzU.jpg

iYm246W2Bo57H.jpg

ixGDvfiXDdGDs.jpg

decaf

The console port has the coop removed and the PC version has modding capability and source code compatibility removed. There is basically no market for this game.

This version or the original Xbox version? The Xbox version had system link co-op at the very least.

Played the pc original at launch in a dark room with no mods. Very scary.

Played again with the duct tape flashlight mod. The game was no longer scary.

Played Xbox port. Many scenes were altered and minor changes were made. Most of these decreased the scariness...I can think of one example in particular where the game was altered to fit Xbox memory constraints and it harmed the game atmosphere immensely.

The new version. I will try it at $20 or less.

If you play with flashlight mod off and understand that the game is meant to produce fear in the player, and forget all the other gripes that make it feel dated, it is a fun game that does what it was meant to do quite well. At the time, it was also a graphics powerhouse as well.

I'm typing this on my phone, I'm sorry if it sucks to read.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Played the pc original at launch in a dark room with no mods. Very scary.

Played again with the duct tape flashlight mod. The game was no longer scary.

Played Xbox port. Many scenes were altered and minor changes were made. Most of these decreased the scariness...I can think of one example in particular where the game was altered to fit Xbox memory constraints and it harmed the game atmosphere immensely.

The new version. I will try it at $20 or less.

If you play with flashlight mod off and understand that the game is meant to produce fear in the player, and forget all the other gripes that make it feel dated, it is a fun game that does what it was meant to do quite well. At the time, it was also a graphics powerhouse as well.

It's $20 on Steam if you own the original Doom 3.

For those that have bought it: Can you find the Doom 1 & 2 WAD files in the game's directory? Or are they encrypted/packaged into a file etc (I HOPE NOT!)?

I just cancelled my preorder. No shadows from the flashlight? That weird uninstall thing to play content on the disc? As much as Carmack says that this has been worked on loads, it just doesn't seem that way. Might bite when we hit the £12 mark, but this winter is too packed full to play what might not be the greatest port in the world.

Shining

So if your longing to replay the single player campaign and already have the PC version of Doom 3, there's really no reason to double dip on this?

SparkTR

So if your longing to replay the single player campaign and already have the PC version of Doom 3, there's really no reason to double dip on this?

There's extra missions, but they're apparently just shooting galleries with no tension or story. If you want the best Doom 3 experience these days I'd suggest playing the original PC release with mods.

Well, the way I see it the only practical advantages of this are the 7 new levels, 3D, and Oculus Rift support. If you don't care about those (and most people won't care for 3D & OR support) then the original PC version is actually better (cheaper, mod support, flashlight casts shadows, no mood-breaking autosaves etc). When it's down to $5 should be worth it. :p

Well, the way I see it the only practical advantages of this are the 7 new levels, 3D, and Oculus Rift support. If you don't care about those (and most people won't care for 3D & OR support) then the original PC version is actually better (cheaper, mod support, flashlight casts shadows, no mood-breaking autosaves etc). When it's down to $5 should be worth it. :p

That's what I'll be doing for completist's sake, haha.

T-0800

I was all set to buy this on PS3 but the reports of tearing has turned me right off. How you can release an old game like this and make it worse is pretty shocking and disappointing.

George is upset.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So should I wait on this even for $20?

From the sounds of things, this collection should be considered only if you don't already own the included games.

Edit: Or, as mentioned, if you're particularly fond of 3D/VR.

Shining

There's extra missions, but they're apparently just shooting galleries with no tension or story. If you want the best Doom 3 experience these days I'd suggest playing the original PC release with mods.

Hm, i think i'll stick to my 2004 copy then :) The Oculus Rift looks promising though! I got the Sony HMZ-T1 at launch but the damn thing was just too uncomfortable to wear. In other words i'm a little cautious jumping on the 3D headset bandwagon again.

Also dead zombies now disappear faster than in the original game, again for performance reasons.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/14...-censorship/page__view__findpost__p__21462524

The changes made for BFG Edition were conscious decisions by id Software. Notable changes include

1) Including the flashlight mod: this was something id received tons of feedback on over the years and we decided to implement it
2) We made the humanoid zombie more demonic looking: This was an artistic change made by the artists at id.
3) Dead zombies now disappear faster: this is something we changed to optimize performance for the game.

Hope that clears things up

I wanted to pick this up on PS3 but hearing some of the issues, in particular that (what I can only describe as) nonsense on 360 version with the game install is really worrying me, knowing how devs tend to handle PS3 versions.

This is sounding really lazy at the moment :(

720p @ 60fps with that engine ain't lazy, i'm sorry. This really has to stop.

Listen to interviews with Carmack, dude sounded like him and the team were really into making this work.

lazy would be The Orange Box on PS3

lazy would be Double Agent on PS3

lazy would be Ghostbusters on PS3

...and I could go on

Picked it up on Steam for $20. Running this game 1080p @ 120 fps is so buttery smooth on PC. This is incredible. I remember this game taxing my system to hell back in the day. I beat the original, but never played Resurrection of Evil so this will be a treat for me.

Also having a flashlight sucks, it is ruining the immersion so I am keeping it off. CARMACK WAS RIGHT

Gong

Never played Doom 3 back in the day, think I can wait to play this a little while longer as I'm swamped with games just now.

A friend let me use his account. Screenshot comparison:

Settings, 1024x768 (because the original was 4:3 only without messing with the console), 4x AA, Motion Blur 32x on BFG.

As you can see the FOV has been changed.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/151919

edit: Included are 4 comparisons. For the first one actually it's the BFGand on-mouse-over it reverts to the original (the other 3 are the original and on-mouse-over it switches to BFG)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Listen to interviews with Carmack, dude sounded like him and the team were really into making this work.

...and I could go on
Exactly. Suggesting this is a lazy port is complete, utter bullshit to the highest degree. A lot of work was put into this version of the game. The engine was never tuned well for the type of hardware these consoles use (unlike Rage) so a lot of re-writing had to occur. The fact that they could deliver 60 fps on all platforms is simply incredible especially when you consider previous idTech 4 based console games (Quake 4, Prey, Quake Wars, and Brink).

They also went through the game and made a lot of minor changes to the experience so it's not as if they just slapped the original on a disc and called it a day.

As for things like textures, well, we have the originals here. All of those beautiful high-res textures you may have spotted in screenshots were added by the community and not owned by id Software.

The console port has the coop removed and the PC version has modding capability and source code compatibility removed.
If we're talking Doom 3 then, no, it does not have the COOP removed. You can't "remove" something that was never there to begin with. Doom 3 on the PC did NOT include COOP play. A mod was created to add this feature after release but it was never an official inclusion on the PC.

I would love to have seen it in this version, but let's not pretend that they removed official features here.

They could have further improved this package, no doubt, but it's still well done overall.

iblWquLobWYDj.gif

How is it on the PS3 version?! I want to know this. Badly.
This would not be an issue on PS3. The 360 allows for optional installs initiated from the dashboard. The PS3 does not. It isn't possible to end up in a situation on PS3 where you would receive this error.

I'd like to see 16:9 comparisons. Doom 3 had official 16:9 supported added in a patch (use "r_aspectratio" to change this).

The FOV in BFG seems to be adjusted for 16:9 and, in 4:3 mode, you wind up losing some of the image. The original FOV was intended for 4:3, however. I don't think BFG is designed to run in 4:3.

A friend let me use his account. Screenshot comparison:

Settings, 1024x768 (because the original was 4:3 only without messing with the console), 4x AA, Motion Blur 32x on BFG.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/151919

edit: Included are 4 comparisons. For the first one actually it's the BFGand on-mouse-over it reverts to the original (the other 3 are the original and on-mouse-over it switches to BFG)

Is it perobject motionblur or just screen based?

CeePhour

Banned
Played the original, and the expansion, at release, and loved them. Will pick this up soon also.

Half of this thread has been about price. Do we need images to get everyone up to speed?

d3price1bsyz.png

d3consolepriceakzz5.png

Reiko

Banned
Doom 3 in 720p @ 60fps on consoles is magical.

If you asked me in the beginning of this gen... I figured we would get 30fps at best.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
3 more hours at work than I can go home an check it out. Can't wait.

Played the original Doom³ back in the days and loved it. Curious to see how it'll be to play it on constant 60 fps. I had one of the best PCs back then and could only play with 30 fps - barely. lol

FGMPR

Banned

...and I could go on

I was talking more of the stripping out the co-op instead of building on it/apparent lack of quality of the new levels more than any technical shortcomings. It would be nice to have seen some hi-res textures on the PC version, but that isn't why I'm likely to avoid it until sale price.

Riggs

Banned
Any of you playing this yet? How is it looking graphically? I've heard user mods already make the game look better than what ID has done for this BFG release. Already own every Doom game in multiple versions including floppy ... so it really needs to look good for this to be worth the asking price, for me at least.

Reading some comments here .... does not sound worth it. They really needed to up the graphics for this to even be questionable as a purchase, but that's just me. Sounds like the old user mods for the original Doom 3 look better then the BFG. Which makes no sense.

Reiko

Banned
This game was the Crysis 1 (Chug your PC) of it's day. Amazing how far we've come.

Maybe we'll have a 60fps port of Crysis 1 for next gen consoles.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I assume that the game delivers a smooth 60 fps, right? I mean, original id Tech 4 games basically required you to adjust either the "com_precisetic" or "com_fixedtic" settings in order to remove the constant microstutter from the engine. It drove me crazy until I found the setting to solve the issue.

Rage did not have this issue, however.

I was talking more of the stripping out the co-op instead of building on it/apparent lack of quality of the new levels more than any technical shortcomings. It would be nice to have seen some hi-res textures on the PC version, but that isn't why I'm likely to avoid it until sale price.
They did not "strip out" co-op. It was never included in the original game (only available as a third party mod). Only the XBOX version had co-op included and that was a pretty different version of Doom 3.

This game was the Crysis 1 (Chug your PC) of it's day. Amazing how far we've come.

Maybe we'll have a 60fps port of Crysis 1 for next gen consoles.
Not quite.

Unlike Crysis, Doom 3 could run very well on PCs back at launch. I was using a Radeon 9700 Pro and it handled Doom 3 pretty damn well for its day. In fact, it was one of the smoothest PC game installs I had ever experienced by 2004. I installed and ran the game without needing to stop and tweak anything. It just worked and it ran beautifully.

Half-Life 2, on the other hand, was the total opposite. It was a clusterfuck at launch.

Top Bottom