• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM 4 Leaks [Update 3: 170 New Leaked Images]

StevieP

Banned
Make it PC exclusive and forget about all those low-rez textures. It would be a sad day in my gaming life to see ID turn into... NotID.

Randdalf

Maybe they were going the Half-Life 2 route? (If it is real, looks more like Rage 2 than anything - wasn't that cancelled?)

I doubt they'd cancel the sequel to one of the most iconic FPS series ever. Not to mention the fact that Doom is set in the near future, this looks like a poor man's Half Life.

No matter how badly Id have been doing, Bethesda aren't stupid enough to cancel Doom 4, surely? Doom's id's most famous franchise.

I wish id Software would cancel themselves.

I appreciate your contributions to gaming, ladies and gentlemen, but game design passed you by...along time ago.

Perhaps a strictly tech company is the way to go?

This. Nearly all of id's "games" have been glorified tech demos anyway.

pirata

Urg...Doom with realistic graphics? Really? It's supposed to look like the sketch-book of a seventh-grader who's way into metal and Satan!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I doubt they'd cancel the sequel to one of the most iconic FPS series ever. Not to mention the fact that Doom is set in the near future, this looks like a poor man's Half Life.

No matter how badly Id have been doing, Bethesda aren't stupid enough to cancel Doom 4, surely? Doom's id's most famous franchise.

They could have canned the old version and then decided to remake the whole thing from scratch.

Those shots look like a decent base to work with. Just needs the art guys to give it that Satan Just Took a Shit on Our Farmers Market(tm) look.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Are you serious?
Dead serious.

Looks fucking awesome. Fantastic texture work (at a distance). Certainly more visually striking to me than a lot of other PC games I've played as of late.

What exactly is wrong with those shots? The lighting is a bit plain for sure, but I think the scenes as a whole are lovely.

So it's Doom 4: Hell on Earth? I figured they would do that again after 3.

I think Bethesda would be stupid to cancel it, but there's a lot of stupid going around these days.

adelante

The visuals aren't technically impressive for sure, but I actually dig the concept of having it set on Earth, especially if they were intending to go for epic set pieces that have portals to Hell tearing landscapes apart as you play through... at least that's the direction some of these screenshots seem to indicate

doom47my33.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The visuals aren't technically impressive for sure, but I actually dig the concept of having it set on Earth, especially if they were intending to go for epic set pieces that have portals to Hell tearing landscapes apart as you play through... at least that's the direction some of these screenshots seem to indicate

Agreed. It wasn't going to wow people, but if it was "Hell on Earth," the visuals were impressive enough to pass that and give a decent story/gameplay with it.

peakish

doom47my33.jpg

Yeah, could be (or have been) pretty darn cool if true.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, I think this visually looks similar to Rage. I think it looks a little too professional to be an amateur mod. But it doesn't quite look good enough to be a full professional team project, and obviously the subject matter looks kind of un-Doomy. I am also not sure why they'd cancel the project rather than recycling in. And I'm not sure why, once cancelled, /v/ would be the place to get the asset dump some disgruntled employee does.

Ketch

I won't believe it until I see some spaceship interiors.

These have got to be from something else OR they realized post apocalyptic earth is not the right setting and are starting over.

I agree with above poster, there is no waaaaay they would give up on a Doom game, it just might take them another 3 or 4 years.

Coxswain

I won't know whether I'm happy or sad at the idea of it being canceled until I know whether they planned for it to have shitty gunplay like Rage/every-other-modern-FPS or if it was going to be good like the old days. I could get behind playing a game in those environments if it was fun.

When ID first announced Doom 4 they said it was taking place on earth. So the location in the leaked screen shots is accurate. I'm pretty sure that Doom 4 that was announced in 2008, and the one from those screen shots got the axe and they are developing a new Doom 4. Not sure if ID is doing it all in house or not.

Well... Diablo 3 and Fallout 3 are some notable games that were cancelled, and the games that bare those titles now are completely different. The Doom 4 that they were working on could've been scrapped, but that doesn't mean they aren't going to make Doom 4.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
another game set in new york?

dear developers: there are countries other than america and cities other than new york in the world

Metal-Geo

Definitely looks like id Tech 5. Looks like some stuff is recycled from RAGE. Like the blue sky skybox.

This is very confusing. Either it really is Doom 4, or it's some other id Tech 5 project.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Why would someone believe it's cancelled though?

So, I think this visually looks similar to Rage. I think it looks a little too professional to be an amateur mod. But it doesn't quite look good enough to be a full professional team project, and obviously the subject matter looks kind of un-Doomy. I am also not sure why they'd cancel the project rather than recycling in. And I'm not sure why, once cancelled, /v/ would be the place to get the asset dump some disgruntled employee does.

It seems to be happening more and more.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
And I'm not sure why, once cancelled, /v/ would be the place to get the asset dump some disgruntled employee does.

Because /v/ is anonymous. Disgruntled employees can post rumors/true "facts" and get away with it since there isn't a paper trail to go with it.

It's kinda a real-time grouphug.us for the industry. And that's why I love /v/ (when it's like this, compared to the /b/ shit it generally is).

Angry Fork

These shots look amazing imo in terms of atmosphere:

1330445900513.jpg

1330445943488.jpg

1330446101039.jpg

1330446137797.jpg

1330446548938.jpg

I was really hyped for this game I hope it's not cancelled. But I lol'd @ this post on 4chan.

Good riddance. No one but FPS hipsters give a fuck about Doom anyway.

Because /v/ is anonymous. Disgruntled employees can post rumors/true "facts" and get away with it since there isn't a paper trail to go with it.

It's kinda a real-time grouphug.us for the industry. And that's why I love /v/ (when it's like this, compared to the /b/ shit it generally is).

Yeah but half their shit turns out to be untrue. They might not be able to trace who posted the shots, but they're fully aware who has access to those shots.

Detox

/v/ is not where it was dumped if you reverse image search it goes to a chinese (?) blog dating from late January.

I won't know whether I'm happy or sad at the idea of it being canceled until I know whether they planned for it to have shitty gunplay like Rage/every-other-modern-FPS or if it was going to be good like the old days. I could get behind playing a game in those environments if it was fun.

Really? I thought one of the few things Rage was praised for was the gunplay, and from the little of it I played I thought it was great.

peakish

Set game in space station: "Too dark, too cramped."

Set next game in larger city: "Not Doom enough."

(Not that these necessarily come from the same persons, but there's no way to keep everyone happy.)

Top Bottom